"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Cherry picking is fun, isn't it? I can't help but notice he basically just uses a tiny handful of out of context clips to make his point. I'm not gonna argue this dub is gold or anything, some of it is definitely bad, but this is far from a fair presentation.
If you didn't enjoy a dub whatsoever because it grated on you, would YOU remember any of the few good moments over the other 95%? There's a reason I don't rewatch the Z dub, but I've rewatched Kai's dub multiple times.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Cherry picking is fun, isn't it? I can't help but notice he basically just uses a tiny handful of out of context clips to make his point. I'm not gonna argue this dub is gold or anything, some of it is definitely bad, but this is far from a fair presentation.
If you didn't enjoy a dub whatsoever because it grated on you, would YOU remember any of the few good moments over the other 95%? There's a reason I don't rewatch the Z dub, but I've rewatched Kai's dub multiple times.
There isn't much of anything good or bad though. Mostly he just plays that clip of Goku saying what repeatedly. There's maybe four or five other examples of anything else he actually plays, not including either of the couple of things he refers to as good, and all very short anyway and he barely elaborates on any specific point with them. It's shallow criticism. If I made a video saying the Funi dub was shit and two thirds of my examples was just that clip of Piccolo saying, "The balls are inert" it would be a terrible critique.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:10 am

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote: Cherry picking is fun, isn't it? I can't help but notice he basically just uses a tiny handful of out of context clips to make his point. I'm not gonna argue this dub is gold or anything, some of it is definitely bad, but this is far from a fair presentation.
There isn't much of anything good or bad though. Mostly he just plays that clip of Goku saying what repeatedly. There's maybe four or five other examples of anything else he actually plays, not including either of the couple of things he refers to as good, and all very short anyway and he barely elaborates on any specific point with them. It's shallow criticism. If I made a video saying the Funi dub was shit and two thirds of my examples was just that clip of Piccolo saying, "The balls are inert" it would be a terrible critique.
He played the "what?" clip multiple times as a joke because it's such an obviously bad take. When someone plays a clip multiple times in a review, it's more than likely a joke if it's a hilariously bad take used in the product. I've seen too many internet reviewers not to notice that.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:25 am

Scsigs wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Scsigs wrote: If you didn't enjoy a dub whatsoever because it grated on you, would YOU remember any of the few good moments over the other 95%? There's a reason I don't rewatch the Z dub, but I've rewatched Kai's dub multiple times.
He played the "what?" clip multiple times as a joke because it's such an obviously bad take. When someone plays a clip multiple times in a review, it's more than likely a joke if it's a hilariously bad take used in the product. I've seen too many internet reviewers not to notice that.
My point isn't about whether or not it's a joke, but that it's a crutch being used instead of substantial criticism. I probably should have clarified. Still, when your actual critique is barely more substantial than that joke it doesn't say great things about the overall quality of the video's substance

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:41 am

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote: There isn't much of anything good or bad though. Mostly he just plays that clip of Goku saying what repeatedly. There's maybe four or five other examples of anything else he actually plays, not including either of the couple of things he refers to as good, and all very short anyway and he barely elaborates on any specific point with them. It's shallow criticism. If I made a video saying the Funi dub was shit and two thirds of my examples was just that clip of Piccolo saying, "The balls are inert" it would be a terrible critique.
My point isn't about whether or not it's a joke, but that it's a crutch being used instead of substantial criticism. I probably should have clarified. Still, when your actual critique is barely more substantial than that joke it doesn't say great things about the overall quality of the video's substance
I agree with this, it does feel like it's being used more as a crutch than substantial criticism. Saying "wow it's the worst dub ever it's so horrible just look at this one clip over and over and over again" doesn't really do much to support your argument. He would also say that some voice actors actually aren't that bad, and then he doesn't even go on to show their voice acting. It's honestly a pretty piss poor video in terms of quality, but the message that it's a bad dub that tries to mimic the Funi voices does seem to ring true, and I've never really gave the Bang Zoom dub a listen to before.

Most of that guy's videos are very clickbait/Buzzfeed-like in nature which is why I've never really watched him. For example, "50 DRAGON BALL SUPER FACTS: Only Super Fans Know" or "10 TIMES DRAGON BALL SUPER MADE FANS RAGE!". Still, since he does seem to be a big name in the YouTube DB community and his videos usually have 300k+ views I figured it might be worthwhile to post that video given it reaches a large audience.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:49 am

Asura wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Scsigs wrote: He played the "what?" clip multiple times as a joke because it's such an obviously bad take. When someone plays a clip multiple times in a review, it's more than likely a joke if it's a hilariously bad take used in the product. I've seen too many internet reviewers not to notice that.
It's honestly a pretty piss poor video in terms of quality, but the message that it's a bad dub that tries to mimic the Funi voices does seem to ring true, and I've never really gave the Bang Zoom dub a listen to before.
I've seen the whole dub and I really wouldn't say that really applies to the dub if you watch it. There's four, maybe five impressions of the Funi voices and the most apparent one, Vegeta, gradually tones it down and is pretty much wholly original after a couple episodes of RoF. No excuse for Buu though or some of the other faults of this dub.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:57 am

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Asura wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote: My point isn't about whether or not it's a joke, but that it's a crutch being used instead of substantial criticism. I probably should have clarified. Still, when your actual critique is barely more substantial than that joke it doesn't say great things about the overall quality of the video's substance
It's honestly a pretty piss poor video in terms of quality, but the message that it's a bad dub that tries to mimic the Funi voices does seem to ring true, and I've never really gave the Bang Zoom dub a listen to before.
I've seen the whole dub and I really wouldn't say that really applies to the dub if you watch it. There's four, maybe five impressions of the Funi voices and the most apparent one, Vegeta, gradually tones it down and is pretty much wholly original after a couple episodes of RoF. No excuse for Buu though or some of the other faults of this dub.
How many episodes are available at this time?

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:28 am

sangofe wrote: How many episodes are available at this time?
They've aired up to episode 27.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:55 am

Also, the dub got cancelled, so that's all there's gonna be.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:06 am

Scsigs wrote:Also, the dub got cancelled, so that's all there's gonna be.
Is this actually true? I've seen a few people say this but the only proof seems to be one VA saying they haven't recorded in a while doesn't seem enough to call it canned.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:39 am

There are "only" two English Super dubs. Declaring it as the worst doesn't exactly hold much weight. :lol:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Also, the dub got cancelled, so that's all there's gonna be.
Is this actually true? I've seen a few people say this but the only proof seems to be one VA saying they haven't recorded in a while doesn't seem enough to call it canned.
There's not a lot of evidence AGAINST that idea. It would seem so though.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:51 am

Toonami Africa running Funimation's dub is a strong sign that this one doesn't have much of a future.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:16 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Toonami Africa running Funimation's dub is a strong sign that this one doesn't have much of a future.
Africa falls under the jurisdiction of Toei Europe and they like to use the FUNi dub where as possible so that wasn't too surprising. The BZ dub was made for Asia primarily so as long as Asia don't air the FUNi dub there's always a chance they could come back to the U6 arc.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 am

Wait... the Bang Zoom dub got cancelled? :shock:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:51 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Wait... the Bang Zoom dub got cancelled? :shock:
That's apparently what the VA of 18 for them said.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Was this a statement made on that VA's Twitter or Facebook? Or is this something claimed to have been said by her from an anonymous third party?

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Was this a statement made on that VA's Twitter or Facebook? Or is this something claimed to have been said by her from an anonymous third party?
This was it. More an assumption on her part, though not an unreasonable one.

https://twitter.com/TamaraRyanVO/status ... 8200702976

My opinion is that since this dub's airing has been so weird the only way to know if it's gone for sure would be an official announcement from the channels airing it or if those channels move on to future story arcs with the Funi dub instead. As of right now they've been showing reruns for quite awhile.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Didn't they order the first 52 episodes?
Wouldn't they be contractually obligated to at least get through to episode 52 or something?
Wasn't it also months before they got to "season 2?"

As grim as things seem right now, I'm still hoping it's on it's way back. No offense to the FUNImation dub fans but I absolutely can't stand the majority of their dub.
Despite the BZ dub's problems (primarily the censorship), it's the first time I've been able to enjoy Dragon Ball in English for such a long time. It even managed to make me enjoy the movie recap arcs, which is definitely no easy task.

If it's not cancelled, then I'm gonna just wait patiently until it returns. (GAH! I HATE WAITING!)
If it is cancelled... well, that's a bummer and am going to go into the corner and pout like a brat, but I do appreciate what we got and thank the wonderful cast for their hard work.

...I really want the Blue Kaioken and the Future Trunks arc, though. Pretty peas, Toonami Asia/Turner/Batman/whoever? Do I need to summon Super Shenlong?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Scsigs wrote: That's apparently what the VA of 18 for them said.
This was it. More an assumption on her part, though not an unreasonable one.

https://twitter.com/TamaraRyanVO/status ... 8200702976

My opinion is that since this dub's airing has been so weird the only way to know if it's gone for sure would be an official announcement from the channels airing it or if those channels move on to future story arcs with the Funi dub instead. As of right now they've been showing reruns for quite awhile.
It doesn't mean anything. The French dub has had longer breaks.