How Would YOU Fix The Goku Black Arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hero
Beyond Newbie

How Would YOU Fix The Goku Black Arc?

Post by Hero » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:16 pm

Assuming you're someone who was let down by it.

1) Make Goku Black Actually Goku

[spoiler]He wasn't Goku in the series, but just another Zamasu.[/spoiler]

If the series wanted to give us a proper evil Goku, then they should've gone all the way and give us an actual evil Goku. Why not have Zamasu find an alternate time line Goku and get him to join him? How cunning and scary would that make Zamasu, that he got the universe's savior, the pure manchild Goku to join him in villainy?

2) Don't Make Zamasu a Typical Cackling Villain

This has already been said multiple times, but Zamasu shouldn't have been cackling and such. It makes him and Goku Black less different from each other. Have Zamasu be the cunning, soft-spoken, more eloquent one who when beaten talks crazy. Kind of like Frieza.

Those are my two for now.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: How Would YOU Fix The Goku Black Arc?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:27 pm

Hero wrote:Assuming you're someone who was let down by it.

1) Make Goku Black Actually Goku

[spoiler]He wasn't Goku in the series, but just another Zamasu.[/spoiler]

If the series wanted to give us a proper evil Goku, then they should've gone all the way and give us an actual evil Goku. Why not have Zamasu find an alternate time line Goku and get him to join him? How cunning and scary would that make Zamasu, that he got the universe's savior, the pure manchild Goku to join him in villainy?

2) Don't Make Zamasu a Typical Cackling Villain

This has already been said multiple times, but Zamasu shouldn't have been cackling and such. It makes him and Goku Black less different from each other. Have Zamasu be the cunning, soft-spoken, more eloquent one who when beaten talks crazy. Kind of like Frieza.

Those are my two for now.
We got that though in Black. Him and Black may technically be the same but they were very different characters. Like Trunks and FTrunks, both technically the same person but very different characters.
He did start to become annoying when Black was gone yes but that lasted all of two episodes so it's fine.

As for proper evil Goku, we've seen evil Saiyans before and plus Turles in the movie (and the countless fan fiction) so in my opinion it wouldn't feel unique enough why so many people scoffed at the idea. What we actually got was the best thing.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:31 pm

I'd have Trunks train with Whis and Vegeta to unlock his new form and also train with Goku and King Kai to learn his spirit sword.

I'd have a bit more going on behind the scenes like universe 10's destroyer looking into Zamasu as well.

I'd also extend some of the fights like Vegetto's.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:36 pm

-The Arc should have been at least 10 episodes longer, Merged Zamasu was present for less than 2½ episodes ffs and 67 had too much stuff crammed into one episode.
-Remove the ridiculous time paradox and Beerus' time altering powers and replace it with Goku-Black simply being the original course of events in the main timeline, until Trunks travelled back, creating the new main timeline, where they eventually kill Zamasu and prevent Goku-Black from happening.

That's my two major beefs. A darker version of the arc could have Goku Black, actually being Goten, who was kidnapped by Zamasu and then eventually turned evil after years of bad influence, but I'm cool with the actual version we got.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:36 pm

People thinking Goku Black needed to be Goku or Goten themselves is proof some of you are better off not being writers. You guys would ruin the arc more than help it.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:48 pm

dbgtFO wrote:-The Arc should have been at least 10 episodes longer
Several more episodes sure would have permitted to show Trunks gaining his power and catching up, the lore can always be more explored, many things could have felt less rushed.
precita wrote:People thinking Goku Black needed to be Goku or Goten themselves is proof some of you are better off not being writers. You guys would ruin the arc more than help it.
I also agree with this, personally I find Zamasu stealing Goku's body to be much more appealing on the narrative that just some generic evil version of Goku that would BTW be hard to explain or convince about lol

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:48 pm

precita wrote:People thinking Goku Black needed to be Goku or Goten themselves is proof some of you are better off not being writers. You guys would ruin the arc more than help it.
Explain. You can't make a statement like that without backing it up.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:54 pm

I definitely agree about Zamasu needing to be different personality wise as Black already fits the evil bastard role fine.

I'd ideally make him Black's"conscience" where he doesn't relish in destroying people and generally wants to put the bloody part of the plan to rest with as little havoc & carnage as possible. You can even have scenes with him apologising for having to kill people but viewing it as the only way to make a utopia regardless.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:50 pm

Have Future Trunks train with Whis, so that the "Raging SSJ Transformation" scene doesn't feel so contrived. I mean, that transformation is such a crucial plot point to how Future Trunks staying relevant in the plot, so having an explanation to how he gained the form would be appreciated. I'd also like it if the whole Time Paradox thing never happened. It just made things more confusing than they needed to be.

Other than that, not a damn thing. Maybe have the Vegetto/Merged Zamasu last a little long, but that's a nitpick more than anything.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:19 pm

I'd just explain a few things better, fix up the time travel stuff and maybe make the ending a few episodes longer.

Other then that I would not touch a thing.

Edit: also would dump the Goku Forgot stuff and have better reasons.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:53 pm

Black would have always secretly had super saiyan rose.

Elaborate on Future Trunks' struggle with Boo for a whole episode.

After Future Trunks' tells the story he asks how they beat Boo and Goku shows him a quick example of a spirit bomb.

I'd have Vegeta and Goku train with Trunks in the time chamber before coming to the future the first time. He gets much stronger but doesn't aquire a new form just yet.

After Vegeta gets sliced in episode 56, Black and Zamasu say the same line about it all being Trunks' fault. He gets his new form here. This way, his fight scenes in episode 57 aren't as weird. Also, the scene with Goku getting angry happens here too.

They come back. Vegeta and Trunks decides to go train, and Goku go to learn the Mafuba.

They come back and fight. Goku does the mafuba on Zamasu. It doesn't work because Roshi forgot to mention that it needs a seal. Zamasu laughs and calls them pathetic.

None of the clone bull shit happens although the cut in the dimension does. I thought that was a nice feat by black but the clones were contrived. Black keeps making multiple cuts in the dimension, but each of them fades after exactly 3 minutes. Goku notices this and makes a plan. Vegeta keeps black busy while Goku Mafuba's Zamasu into one of the dimension rifts right before it seals.

Black is shitting his pants at this point. Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks' are all converging on him. He thinks quick and moves his potara to the other ear. Merged Zamasu is born. This would give a nice little feat to the potara. They can fuse no matter how far the other person is and what's in between the fusee's.

Everything goes the same as it did in the show besides for Goku's kamehameha. He does a kaiokenx10 for it. It's also noted that Vegito made Merged Zamasu much weaker and Goku doing the example spirit bomb helped Trunks' do it himself.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:28 pm

kinisking wrote:Elaborate on Future Trunks' struggle with Boo for a whole episode.
I'd have that across 3-4 episodes or even 5.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:11 pm

sintzu wrote:
kinisking wrote:Elaborate on Future Trunks' struggle with Boo for a whole episode.
I'd have that across 3-4 episodes or even 5.
No way should it last that long. That's DBZ level padding. Have it be 2 episodes at very most. The first covering Future Trunks training with Kaioshin and Kibito and the second being Future Trunks, Kaioshin and Kibito battling Dabra and Babidi.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Go back in time, use the Super Dragon Balls to switch minds with Toriyama and write it myself.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:46 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: That's DBZ level padding.
If Z's one is too long and Super's one is too short, maybe they find the better equation next time ;)

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:04 pm

I have two different approaches, one is completely impossible but would have isolated the fan service to one single arc.

Bad way to do it, Frieza is resurrected. Learns about Cell, time travel etc. finds a way to travel back in time to when the saiyan uprised and destroy them all and bardock. Future Trunks arrives in present and says he must stop someone in the past who is also destroying his future and looks like Goku. Trunks take Vegeta and Goku further in the past where they mistake bardock for Black starting a fight which is interrupted by both of and new Frieza who has his Golden form. Epic dual Frieza vs Bardock and Goku and Vegeta and Trunks battle. Lots of further and son moments. Maybe an appearance by king Vegeta. Black along with Zamasu reveal themselves and that they were the ones who resurrected Frieza to wipe out the troublesome saiyans. More fan service and craziness ensues. ( I actually despise Bardock but if we are gonna do fan fiction/ service might as well go for broke). Everything about this would be awful but at least it's all isolated to a single arc.

Good ways: not a fan of the arc but if they just had Trunks join the Time Patrol or something at least something meaningful would have come from the ending.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:18 am

Keep the main gist of the plot (god rebels, takes goku's body, future Trunks' world is in trouble, yada yada), but change the entire structure and setting.

-This arc has no place in Super. The optimal time period it should have been set in was right after the Cell games, replacing the entire Buu saga. Why? Well, it's perfect. Goku is presumed dead, but Future Trunks arrives to tell Gohan that he is alive and wreaking havoc in his timeline, creating a major impact, while also making "Goku" the final villain of DBZ and forcing a father and son duel after we had just seen them take down the previous major villain together. Secondly, we can have actual bonding between a now older Gohan and Future Trunks. They really emphasized the connection Trunks has to him in Super, but unfortunately, Gohan was shoved to the side as usual, making it seem very forced. In a story where Gohan is the main character, we can see this gradually develop. Third, this setting would allow for the introduction of the kaioshin, while also omitting Beerus, Whis and Zeno, who are a detriment to any story that doesn't directly center around them.

-No time traveling repetition. After Trunks travels to the past once, and they set off for the future, there shouldn't be anymore back and forth time traveling. This was just...bad. In the Buu saga, did they just run to another time line? Android saga? No, they stayed on their planet/universe and used the resources available to them to become stronger. This could have been a perfect opportunity to create a world-building experience in Trunks' Earth.

-Much more fleshed out story. There was a lot to tell here, but it was relegated to flashbacks and word-of-mouth. What was an arc should have been a major saga like the other ones in DBZ. I would have liked to see Present Zamasu's full ascent and transition into Goku Black, on-screen, as well as his actions against humanity and the other gods. All of that should have been shown. Zamasu himself should have genuinely started as a good person too.

-No bullshit transformations, power scaling, and attacks. I really don't have to go into detail here.

- Better ending. If they were going to go with an ending that involved Trunks' universe being destroyed, then they should have let Zamasu actually win and not given us some bittersweet crap that tries to convince us that things ended happily, when they didn't. The reality Trunks faces in Super is so tragic and depressing, but I feel it wasn't presented as such at all.

- Merged Zamasu should have been dominated by Goku Black's persona and appearance. What I mean is, Future Zamasu is a fucking awful villain. Nobody likes him better than his counterpart. So why give us this crappy fusion? I wanted to see Goku Black choke on his own blood, but we never saw that. Black quite literally MADE this arc, and we never really saw his fall.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:45 pm

No one here said Goku Black needed to be Goten, I just said a darker version of the arc could have Goten as Goku Black. And no, doing that does not ruin anything. Anything can be written well, you just have to have good writing skills, so please knock it off.

@fadeddreams5
Great stuff, though I still would have the Buu Arc before it. I wouldn't like it, if Trunks just returns in the arc right after his first arc.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:42 pm

-Make Goku Black essentially a zombie (Zamasu is using Timeline 2 Goku's corpse to aid him in his plans)
-Give Zamasu an actual backstory and a legit reason to hate mortals
-Have Goten actually do something and meet Future Trunks
-Get rid of the "Goku doesn't know what kissing is" joke and Trunks x Mai altogether
-Not have an ending that basically renders the entire arc pointless
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:46 pm

How to fix this arc.....hmm.......Remove some episodes (the first Goku vs black fight) and maybe the second trip to the past and perfect.