Roshi's Blu-ray joke in English dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Roshi's Blu-ray joke in English dub

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Okay, not sure if this warrants it's own topic so if it gets moved to the official Funimation thread - I won't mind. But yeah, the Blu-ray joke that Funimation added. As far as I'm aware, this wasn't said in the original version (as a fan points out in this tweet: https://twitter.com/MexicanAnimeD2/stat ... 2027589632) and as it stands - This might be the most MODERN Dragon Ball joke I've heard in DB yet and I love it. I prefer dub over sub (but still love and respect the sub voices) for cases like this where Funimation almost gives you a wink-wink that they're aware this is a new DB show in 2017 (a time where Blu-ray is the biggest thing next to digital). I'm aware there are already instances like this in Super where Toei adds modern stuff like YouTube or modern cell phones, but I just love how Funimation takes the extra step and is like "Let's put our own stamp on this series in small instances and have fun with these characters"

It's almost like they want to make some scenes stand out as being more classic if that makes sense. I might be getting off-topic a bit, but even Yu Yu Hakusho displays instances like this of trying to make the English dub stand out a bit more (or a LOT more in YYH's case) than the sub. And I love it because I've already seen the original Super Episode 1: I DON'T NEED TO WATCH IT AGAIN. I want something a little different to look forward to and Funimation's handling of Super gives me that. I mean, maybe the joke is that Roshi is so old he thinks DVD's are still relevant or Toei just didn't think to have a Blu-ray joke, I don't know but still -

Can't wait for the REAL blu-rays, haha.

EDIT: Also, the fact that within the DB universe - Blu-rays are now confirmed to be a thing. Not to mention Goku saying he doesn't watch TV, which is another line that I don't think was in the original but perfectly fits with his character. I just love it.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Roshi's Blu-ray joke in English dub

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:03 am

I think you're putting too much thought into this one line by saying Blu-rays exist in Dragon Ball. It was just a joke... that isn't even in the original version so I wouldn't take it seriously. But I'll admit I actually laughed when he said it. I can always tell when these kinds of jokes are made by the English scriptwriters because they feel so out of place in the show (when I heard Beerus say something about their trip taking the span of an anime episode, it felt very American even though it was also a line from the original Japanese). I personally don't like these kinds of jokes (Toriyama poop jokes are more my style), but it was still kinda funny. Anyway, since I have yet to watch the first two arcs of Super, I guess I'll tune into the English dub every week!
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:18 am

DBZfan29 wrote:I think you're putting too much thought into this one line by saying Blu-rays exist in Dragon Ball. It was just a joke... that isn't even in the original version so I wouldn't take it seriously. But I'll admit I actually laughed when he said it. I can always tell when these kinds of jokes are made by the English scriptwriters because they feel so out of place in the show (when I heard Beerus say something about their trip taking the span of an anime episode, it felt very American even though it was also a line from the original Japanese). I personally don't like these kinds of jokes (Toriyama poop jokes are more my style), but it was still kinda funny. Anyway, since I have yet to watch the first two arcs of Super, I guess I'll tune into the English dub every week!
You're right about the Blu-ray dub joke not confirming the existence of Blu-rays in the DB-verse since it's a dub-only joke. Still, as far as the dub goes - Blu-rays now exist in the DB world, to me at least. I understand that sometimes these jokes can feel very American, but as long as we don't get Pokemon riceball to sandwich edits and the original intent of the series is maintained (which Funimation is good at for the most part) - Then, I don't mind them appealing to an American audience with some of their lines.

I mean, let's remember - This is an English dub, not the original version. So, with the occasional American-like jokes - Funi is just trying to appeal to their target fanbase every now and then. I don't see too much of a problem when they try to be faithful for the most part. However, I must admit the Goku talking about keeping his family safe is very Funimation - But that never bothered me.

Also, if DVD's are confirmed to exist in the DB world: Why shouldn't Blu-rays also be acknowledged to exist? I mean, they might as well!

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:28 am

mecha3000 wrote:
DBZfan29 wrote:I think you're putting too much thought into this one line by saying Blu-rays exist in Dragon Ball. It was just a joke... that isn't even in the original version so I wouldn't take it seriously. But I'll admit I actually laughed when he said it. I can always tell when these kinds of jokes are made by the English scriptwriters because they feel so out of place in the show (when I heard Beerus say something about their trip taking the span of an anime episode, it felt very American even though it was also a line from the original Japanese). I personally don't like these kinds of jokes (Toriyama poop jokes are more my style), but it was still kinda funny. Anyway, since I have yet to watch the first two arcs of Super, I guess I'll tune into the English dub every week!
You're right about the Blu-ray dub joke not confirming the existence of Blu-rays in the DB-verse since it's a dub-only joke. Still, as far as the dub goes - Blu-rays now exist in the DB world, to me at least. I understand that sometimes these jokes can feel very American, but as long as we don't get Pokemon riceball to sandwich edits and the original intent of the series is maintained (which Funimation is good at for the most part) - Then, I don't mind them appealing to an American audience with some of their lines.

I mean, let's remember - This is an English dub, not the original version. So, with the occasional American-like jokes - Funi is just trying to appeal to their target fanbase every now and then. I don't see too much of a problem when they try to be faithful for the most part. However, I must admit the Goku talking about keeping his family safe is very Funimation - But that never bothered me.

Also, if DVD's are confirmed to exist in the DB world: Why shouldn't Blu-rays also be acknowledged to exist? I mean, they might as well!
I don't see it as a bad thing either. It just feels weird sometimes ("dirty movie DVDs" was just oddly phrased, but I guess they had to do that in order to make the Blu-ray joke). I can't wait to see how they handle all the Slump stuff (it's very Japanese so it might feel even weirder).

While we're on the topic of Americanized lines, I'm pretty sure the original didn't make jokes about toilet water. That actually got annoying after the first mention, but it doesn't hurt, I guess. Like you said with Goku's line about TV, the fact that they kept calling it toilet water only adds to Goten's naivety so it works.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:47 am

DBZfan29 wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:

I don't see it as a bad thing either. It just feels weird sometimes ("dirty movie DVDs" was just oddly phrased, but I guess they had to do that in order to make the Blu-ray joke). I can't wait to see how they handle all the Slump stuff (it's very Japanese so it might feel even weirder).

While we're on the topic of Americanized lines, I'm pretty sure the original didn't make jokes about toilet water. That actually got annoying after the first mention, but it doesn't hurt, I guess. Like you said with Goku's line about TV, the fact that they kept calling it toilet water only adds to Goten's naivety so it works.
Actually, toilet water is supposedly an old-fashioned way of saying perfume. At least that's what my mom told me when we were watching the episode.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:49 am

OmegaRockman wrote:
DBZfan29 wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:

Actually, toilet water is supposedly an old-fashioned way of saying perfume. At least that's what my mom told me when we were watching the episode.
I knew that; I'm just saying referring to perfume as toilet water in the episode was a pretty corny joke.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:37 am

DBZfan29 wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
DBZfan29 wrote:

I knew that; I'm just saying referring to perfume as toilet water in the episode was a pretty corny joke.
Ah, I gotcha. Sorry for the confusion!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:50 am

FUNimation still adds jokes to the show in this day and age?

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:56 am

But.....don't dvds still sale great in Japan? Even dvd rentals exist there

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:55 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:But.....don't dvds still sale great in Japan? Even dvd rentals exist there
Like I said, the joke works better for American (and most likely also Canadian) audiences - which isn't at all a bad thing considering it's not produced for fans in Japan. Besides, Super is released on both DVD and Blu-ray in Japan so because of that - The joke works even better, in my opinion because it's reflecting the physical releases of the series itself.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:24 am

mecha3000 wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:But.....don't dvds still sale great in Japan? Even dvd rentals exist there
Like I said, the joke works better for American (and most likely also Canadian) audiences - which isn't at all a bad thing considering it's not produced for fans in Japan. Besides, Super is released on both DVD and Blu-ray in Japan so because of that - The joke works even better, in my opinion because it's reflecting the physical releases of the series itself.
Personally I prefer physical releases and I live in Europe. I think the "no physical media" is only limited to USA.
Still I get your joke

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:56 am

sangofe wrote:FUNimation still adds jokes to the show in this day and age?
It was pretty minor to be fair, the original joke was there they just added a bit more too it. Overall I think they should be fine adding quirks here and there.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:10 pm

They localized it. They took a joke that works in Japan and edited it so it works in America. How is that bad?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:28 pm

The line has the same meaning for western audiences as it does for the Japanese. The Blu-Ray part is just an additional quirk that doesn't contradict what Roshi said in the Japanese but reflects what Dragon Ball is in 2017 (with home media collections being a thing, and to a greater extent than it is for the Japanese).

Its not a big deal, at all. This is nothing compared to Funi's "mondo cool" days.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:39 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
They localized it. They took a joke that works in Japan and edited it so it works in America. How is that bad?
I havent been able to see the dub...

It should be kept in mind that this isnt a Dragon Ball thing for FUNimation. They're treating it as they treat all their other shows, mostly, slightly higher dub budget but really nothing special, & certainly not in a negative sense. If you dislike FUNi['s practices, though, you'd have to account for their dubs in general. If Viz or Pioneer had dubbed this, you'd have very accurate scripts aside from when, say, comedy, couldnt be translated at all. FUNimation is an American company producing their own adaptation, pretty much entirely outsourced from the Japanese (although Toei/etc., generally do check for accuracy). Their dubs for Dragon Ball aren't somehow different from say...their FMA dub, or My Hero Academia, or Steins Gate, etc. Troy Baker mentioned (years ago) that Viz's auditions were sent to the Japanese producers, whereas FUNi's were more "hands-off" (to be fair, he was talking about Shin-Chan, but it's still notable), & Patrick Seitz mentioned (different convention) that because FUNimation is an American company, rather than Viz or Aniplex (or Nintendo, Capcom, Bandai etc) who are American branches of Japanese companies, there's a lot less back-&-forth between them.

& one thing I've noticed, & sort of preferred, about Viz/Aniplex/Bandai etc dubs, they generally have character voices that feel a lot like the Japanese VO. Like say Naruto or Bleach sound very similar. I dont mind some differences (again, it's about acting more than just voice), but generally I appreciate consistency, in that sense. Ideally, multi-language voices wouldnt be cast based on reference audio, but more ala Final Fantasy which actually has the Japanese in the studio for casting.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:40 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
I havent been able to see the dub...

It should be kept in mind that this isnt a Dragon Ball thing for FUNimation. They're treating it as they treat all their other shows, mostly, slightly higher dub budget but really nothing special, & certainly not in a negative sense. If you dislike FUNi['s practices, though, you'd have to account for their dubs in general. If Viz or Pioneer had dubbed this, you'd have very accurate scripts aside from when, say, comedy, couldnt be translated at all. FUNimation is an American company producing their own adaptation, pretty much entirely outsourced from the Japanese (although Toei/etc., generally do check for accuracy). Their dubs for Dragon Ball aren't somehow different from say...their FMA dub, or My Hero Academia, or Steins Gate, etc. Troy Baker mentioned (years ago) that Viz's auditions were sent to the Japanese producers, whereas FUNi's were more "hands-off" (to be fair, he was talking about Shin-Chan, but it's still notable), & Patrick Seitz mentioned (different convention) that because FUNimation is an American company, rather than Viz or Aniplex (or Nintendo, Capcom, Bandai etc) who are American branches of Japanese companies, there's a lot less back-&-forth between them.

& one thing I've noticed, & sort of preferred, about Viz/Aniplex/Bandai etc dubs, they generally have character voices that feel a lot like the Japanese VO. Like say Naruto or Bleach sound very similar. I dont mind some differences (again, it's about acting more than just voice), but generally I appreciate consistency, in that sense. Ideally, multi-language voices wouldnt be cast based on reference audio, but more ala Final Fantasy which actually has the Japanese in the studio for casting.
As someone who's watched FUNi's dubs of One Piece, DBZ Kai, FMA Brotherhood and My Hero Academia, they're actually pretty accurately adapted aside from things that need to be changed because of lip flaps, which people seem to forget about. FUNi did the whole American thing before but nowadays they're totally different and anyone on Kanzenshuu can tell you that
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:39 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote: Troy Baker mentioned (years ago) that Viz's auditions were sent to the Japanese producers, whereas FUNi's were more "hands-off" (to be fair, he was talking about Shin-Chan, but it's still notable), & Patrick Seitz mentioned (different convention) that because FUNimation is an American company, rather than Viz or Aniplex (or Nintendo, Capcom, Bandai etc) who are American branches of Japanese companies, there's a lot less back-&-forth between them.
I'm sure this doesn't happen often, but Funimation had Oda approve their One Piece voice cast, so it's not unheard of.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote: Troy Baker mentioned (years ago) that Viz's auditions were sent to the Japanese producers, whereas FUNi's were more "hands-off" (to be fair, he was talking about Shin-Chan, but it's still notable), & Patrick Seitz mentioned (different convention) that because FUNimation is an American company, rather than Viz or Aniplex (or Nintendo, Capcom, Bandai etc) who are American branches of Japanese companies, there's a lot less back-&-forth between them.
I'm sure this doesn't happen often, but Funimation had Oda approve their One Piece voice cast, so it's not unheard of.
I do think that was largely due to OP being aside from DB, Toei's biggest property. Toei was very strict with this, they even had 4Kids (whom they intentionally licensed to with a heavily localized dub in mind) casting approved heavily by representatives of Toei producers visiting New York specifically for that. The actual castings & talent of the VAs were good, Sanji's even was closer to Hirata's than FUNi's dub was actually. They really did care for that property, which is why they gave it to 4Kids actually. They took it back not because the dub was what it was, but because 4Kids didnt make money for Toei as they thought they would. Getting off-topic, but the point is that's a very special situation & it doesnt happen often.

I wish the Japanese took more care with FUNi's scripts, though I'm sure that part of why licensors love FUNi so much is because they dont have to put their time & money into it, the same with VAs. It's unfortunate, because we could do a lot better with a little more money.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:35 pm

I for one hope that Funi puts in the "Time to make the donuts" joke. It would bring a big smile on my face when that happens just like back when Sabat did the "Over 9000" line in the Nicktoons version of Kai. And to the subbies who're gonna freak out, just relax. It's just one damn line. Just as long as they don't go overboard and stick to the material 95% of the time, then I say it's okay.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:39 am

EXBadguy wrote:I for one hope that Funi puts in the "Time to make the donuts" joke. It would bring a big smile on my face when that happens just like back when Sabat did the "Over 9000" line in the Nicktoons version of Kai. And to the subbies who're gonna freak out, just relax. It's just one damn line. Just as long as they don't go overboard and stick to the material 95% of the time, then I say it's okay.
I wouldn't mind either because (not sure if people know this about me at this point) I don't mind subtle dub changes. However, I would only agree to a change like this if it fits the context of Hit in Super. If it doesn't, then I'm sure TFS will make great use of it down the road OR the games will keep it. But if it fits, sure. It could become Hit's very own classic line as far as the English dub is concerned. I could even see shirts of it.

And once again, I appreciate when Funimation takes slight creative liberties in terms of the script like when Vegeta said, "I'll eat your whole race" to the octopus when in the original - I believe he just said "I'll eat it all". Whenever they do things like this, it's like their own way of putting their stamp and voice on the characters. As long as it doesn't go against the original intent of the character, I'll take any line deviations. However, when Vegeta said the "eat whole race" line - I admit my first reaction was WHOA A LITTLE EXTREME, MAN.