How is Trunks' moments anymore of an ass pull then Gohan/Goku?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Re: How is Trunks' moments anymore of an ass pull then Gohan/Goku?

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:38 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:But Trunks asspull power was a transformation in the end, not a rage boost, in this case (while still being a bullshit power up) wouldn't it make sense that his transformation was triggered by rage like any other ssj transformation?

Also, i don't think that iraki or whatever tried to like make us believe that Trunks never snapped before, because we know he did, in fact, in ep 52's flashback Trunks snapped when he transformed into a super saiyan. In ep 61, Trunks snapped because PTSD and guilty feelings, he was being blamed for everything that happened and in fact it was true that he fucked up things by going to the past, so he had to remember every single thing that had happened, all those people dying, his mother dying, everyone in danger, all those promises that he made about fixing everything to realize that he might be the one responsible to all those terrible events that happened in the future and that everything he did trying to fix the problem and save everyone, made things worse. That's really messed up :crazy:

The transformation itself is still an asspull and things could have been better handled, but in-universe perspective it makes sense that Trunks, being equal in power to a ssj 3 Goku in the manga with just his ssj2, and equal to a ssj 2 Goku in the anime who's stronger than the Goku in Z (as we saw in RoF movie, end of BoG movie, BoG arc, and RoF arc) could achieve a new stronger transformation in a similar way to ssj 2. It's still stupid because there is no explanation to what exactly is this level of power, there's nothing said by the characters in-universe, and it could have been better handled with a better execution.
Trunks being even initially as strong as he is total lunacy that you cannot justify or use as a justification for Super *fuck logic* Trunks existing.

The only form that really needs anger is SS1 really and even that's not the case when in the manga, Kid Trunks and Goten have it just fine and Future Trunks already has it before Gohan died. SS2 is attainable without anger as seen by Goku and Vegeta, SS3 too, 4 is probably the antithesis of them all since you need to calm down from a berzerker rage to get it, SSGod doesn't need anger either and Blue's power is described as being calm. Super *fuck logic* Trunks is clearly meant to be some quasi-Blue thing if the aura is any indication so that makes it even more moronic for a calm form with perfect ki control get attained through anger. Even the brief snippets of Whis' training for Goku and Vegeta showed us that Blue primarily seems to come from keeping a level head and composing yourself to use ki carefully so it doesn't leak.

This is also a bit unrelated but Black's whole "your sins are what make me do this Trunks!" is also totally forced since Black has no idea Trunks can time travel period before he goes through the crack in time and for a guy who can't shut up, there's no way Black WOULDN'T have used this to taunt and provoke Trunks into doing something stupid during the year they spent fighting one another.
Wait, when did we see Goku and Vegeta achieving ssj 2 for the first time?, we did see them transforming but by the time they did it, it wasn't the first time so i don't think that we can include ssj 2 in the non-rage transformations. This also the same case with ssj 3. Goten and Trunks didn't have to be angry to transform, but that doesn't change that Trunks (specials/super flashback/anime), Vegeta (if i'm not wrong), Gohan, Goku and Cabba, transformed being triggered by rage, and Gohan was triggered by rage when he transformed into a ssj 2, my point is that ssj transformations can be triggered by these feelings . Ssgod and SSGSS are different cases as those transformations are pretty different than the regular ssj transformation and requires control, also, don't put ssj 4 here, it's the best explained transformation in this franchise and it doesn't deserves being even mentioned in this conversation (just kidding thought).

I only mentioned the fact that Trunks was this strong because often people say that it doesn't make sense that Trunks changes from being ssj 2 level to a different level in power, and i think that is necessary to keep in mind that Trunks's ssj 2 is not a regular ssj 2 (i assumed that you would addres this as a flaw so i decided to mention it earlier to prevent further confusion and discussion).

It may be forced but Black did say that it was one of the reasons and not the only reason. But whatever, there's no point in arguing about this.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:Because asspulls in Z usually had a build up or at the very least it tried to pretend it had one, while Super just doesn't give a damn
And asspull that has buildup is still an asspull.
Never said the opposite but OP asks how both asspulls are different from each other, or more accurately, how FTrunks is more of an asspull than Z ones lol ;)

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:40 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:Because asspulls in Z usually had a build up or at the very least it tried to pretend it had one, while Super just doesn't give a damn
And asspull that has buildup is still an asspull.
Never said the opposite but OP asks how both asspulls are different from each other, or more accurately, how FTrunks is more of an asspull than Z ones lol ;)
Both are asspuls but one is more annoying than the other :lol:

dbgtFO wrote:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Because they're asspulls without proper explanations.

His rage boosts are worse than Gohan's because Gohan had that characteristic from his INTRODUCTION. He didn't just start developing it later in life like Trunks and Vegeta. At least with Vegeta you could argue that he cares for others more than ever now and that's why he can do it. Even Gohan doesn't spam rage boosts as much as Trunks did that arc. Gohan hasn't had a rage boost affect anything sine the Cell saga in fact.

The spirit bomb thing is kind of ridiculous because Goku has to consciously bring the energy while Trunks who never learnt the technique can do it by himself. This could've been explained if Goku brought it up in the present and King Kai butted in to explain that what Trunks did was how the spirit bomb initially happened. An entire world was dead set on defeating an evil enemy and that's how it came to be. However, since that happens so rarely, the creator decided to improve the technique so that they could do it at will.

The transformation is what I have the least problem with. That could've been improved if they said that he was using partial god ki or something along the lines. Goku and Vegeta could even mention how they had that form before they unlocked SS blue and it's a half way point.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:43 pm

dbs fanboy wrote: Both are asspuls but one is more annoying than the other :lol:
YES, EXACTLY!! :thumbup: :mrgreen:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:45 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:Wait, when did we see Goku and Vegeta achieving ssj 2 for the first time?, we did see them transforming but by the time they did it, it wasn't the first time so i don't think that we can include ssj 2 in the non-rage transformations. This also the same case with ssj 3. Goten and Trunks didn't have to be angry to transform, but that doesn't change that Trunks (specials/super flashback/anime), Vegeta (if i'm not wrong), Gohan, Goku and Cabba, transformed being triggered by rage, and Gohan was triggered by rage when he transformed into a ssj 2, my point is that ssj transformations can be triggered by these feelings . Ssgod and SSGSS are different cases as those transformations are pretty different than the regular ssj transformation and requires control, also, don't put ssj 4 here, it's the best explained transformation in this franchise and it doesn't deserves being even mentioned in this conversation (just kidding thought).

I only mentioned the fact that Trunks was this strong because often people say that it doesn't make sense that Trunks changes from being ssj 2 level to a different level in power, and i think that is necessary to keep in mind that Trunks's ssj 2 is not a regular ssj 2 (i assumed that you would addres this as a flaw so i decided to mention it earlier to prevent further confusion and discussion).

It may be forced but Black did say that it was one of the reasons and not the only reason. But whatever, there's no point in arguing about this.
SS2 and 3 clearly don't necessitate rage when they Gotenks, Goku and Vegeta all get them. They have nothing to be angry about period and certainly nothing to create a big, emotional upheaval like Gohan's did. Gohan's anger might've made it easier for him to activate it than for the others, but there's nothing for Goku, Vegeta, and Gotenks to get furious about, so it stands to reason they got 2 and 3 through training.

Trunks' SS2 thing is manga exclusive, nothing in the anime mentions anything about his SS2 being more powerful and even if it was, his SS2 would have to be monstrously amped to take him weaker than Freeza in Base to challenging post-God absorption SS2 Goku, an increase like that can't simply go unmentioned or commented upon.

It doesn't matter that Black cites it as a reason: it doesn't make sense for him to know this beforehand when he's surprised that Trunks has time travel methods period and he would have surely used this to taunt him during their year long fights with each other. Black doesn't even word it in a way where this recent discovery adds fuel to his hatred against humans/mortals, he cites it as though it's one of the cornerstones of his motivation from the start and the material pre-61 doesn't support this.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:00 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:Wait, when did we see Goku and Vegeta achieving ssj 2 for the first time?, we did see them transforming but by the time they did it, it wasn't the first time so i don't think that we can include ssj 2 in the non-rage transformations. This also the same case with ssj 3. Goten and Trunks didn't have to be angry to transform, but that doesn't change that Trunks (specials/super flashback/anime), Vegeta (if i'm not wrong), Gohan, Goku and Cabba, transformed being triggered by rage, and Gohan was triggered by rage when he transformed into a ssj 2, my point is that ssj transformations can be triggered by these feelings . Ssgod and SSGSS are different cases as those transformations are pretty different than the regular ssj transformation and requires control, also, don't put ssj 4 here, it's the best explained transformation in this franchise and it doesn't deserves being even mentioned in this conversation (just kidding thought).

SS2 and 3 clearly don't necessitate rage when they Gotenks, Goku and Vegeta all get them. They have nothing to be angry about period and certainly nothing to create a big, emotional upheaval like Gohan's did. Gohan's anger might've made it easier for him to activate it than for the others, but there's nothing for Goku, Vegeta, and Gotenks to get furious about, so it stands to reason they got 2 and 3 through training.

Trunks' SS2 thing is manga exclusive, nothing in the anime mentions anything about his SS2 being more powerful and even if it was, his SS2 would have to be monstrously amped to take him weaker than Freeza in Base to challenging post-God absorption SS2 Goku, an increase like that can't simply go unmentioned or commented upon.

It doesn't matter that Black cites it as a reason: it doesn't make sense for him to know this beforehand when he's surprised that Trunks has time travel methods period and he would have surely used this to taunt him during their year long fights with each other. Black doesn't even word it in a way where this recent discovery adds fuel to his hatred against humans/mortals, he cites it as though it's one of the cornerstones of his motivation from the start and the material pre-61 doesn't support this.
And i repeat that we don't know how did Goku or Vegeta achieve it we don't know if it was throught rage or not,i mean yeah, they obviously trained and achieved it by training, but so did Gohan to achieve ssj 1 and his transformation was triggered by rage, just like ssj 2 and just like how Goku, Cabba and Vegeta (seriously if i'm wrong with this one please tell me cause i'm not sure) did. You're right with Gotenks thought, but this exactly the same thing to how Goten and Trunks achieved ssj 1 :lol: .
Conclusion: ssj transformations can be triggered by rage (it doesn't make the asspulls less asspulls).

In the anime there's also no mention that Goku's base form is stronger than his ssj form (by mention i mean a character stating this as fact, like "omg Goku's base is stronger than his previous ssj form") and he's still super strong with his base. Either Trunks is simply as strong as super Goku who's a monster (it would be stupid as you said thought because Gohan wasn't that strong even after getting his potential unlocked and he's a hybrid as well),or for some reason Goku held back to the point that his ssj 2 was just as strong as his Z's supersaiyan 2.

I already said that there was no point in continue arguing about Black so sorry for ignoring this part of your post (not trying to be a dick but i don't want to end up going off topic)

dbgtFO wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:08 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:And i repeat that we don't know how did Goku or Vegeta achieve it we don't know if it was throught rage or not,i mean yeah, they obviously trained and achieved it by training, but so did Gohan to achieve ssj 1 and his transformation was triggered by rage, just like ssj 2 and just like how Goku, Cabba and Vegeta (seriously if i'm wrong with this one please tell me cause i'm not sure) did. You're right with Gotenks thought, but this exactly the same thing to how Goten and Trunks achieved ssj 1 :lol: .
Conclusion: ssj transformations can be triggered by rage (it doesn't make the asspulls less asspulls).

In the anime there's also no mention that Goku's base form is stronger than his ssj form (by mention i mean a character stating this as fact, like "omg Goku's base is stronger than his previous ssj form") and he's still super strong with his base. Either Trunks is simply as strong as super Goku who's a monster (it would be stupid as you said thought because Gohan wasn't that strong even after getting his potential unlocked and he's a hybrid as well),or for some reason Goku held back to the point that his ssj 2 was just as strong as his Z's supersaiyan 2.

I already said that there was no point in continue arguing about Black so sorry for ignoring this part of your post (not trying to be a dick but i don't want to end up going off topic)
I wouldn't call Goku's Namek one an ass pull, they set up that Super Saiyan is a thing from the Ginyu Force onwards and there's even a nice bit of irony to it because Vegeta keeps chastizing Goku for being weak due to caring about stuff other than bloody murder and retarded Saiyan pride which is precisely what lets him transform when he snaps. Vegeta never could because his priorities weren't right for it, the Android arc and all subsequent stuff with SS pretty much ruins most of the concept to oblivion but the first one stands pretty well under scrutiny.

Base Goku can fight Final Form Freeza who in his first form can stomp SS Gohan who's power (apparently) rivals his Ultimate form from the Boo arc, that alone puts his Base in a league above anything Trunks should be able to reach, never mind once you stack more forms on top of Goku's Base.

I also really question the logic behind reasoning where a character powers down their base then powers back up with a transformation, just why? Let me explain through numbers.

Using what we know from the anime:

[spoiler]Trunks - 1 (Base)
- 50 (SS1)
- 100 (SS2)

Goku - 5000 (Base, at absolute lowest)
[/spoiler]

In this, we can see that Goku can simply power down his Base to match Trunks then power it up until he hits whatever power level is comperable to Black's so he can get a feel for Black's power. Goku's Base power can also be sensed so this is an entirely reasonable way to do this.

Now here it is with the idea that Goku powers down his base then powers back up with transformations:

- 50 (SS1)
- 100 (SS2)

Goku - 5000 (actual Base)
- 1 (powered down)
- 100 (SS2)

Just.... Why?[/spoiler]
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:13 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:And i repeat that we don't know how did Goku or Vegeta achieve it we don't know if it was throught rage or not,i mean yeah, they obviously trained and achieved it by training, but so did Gohan to achieve ssj 1 and his transformation was triggered by rage, just like ssj 2 and just like how Goku, Cabba and Vegeta (seriously if i'm wrong with this one please tell me cause i'm not sure) did. You're right with Gotenks thought, but this exactly the same thing to how Goten and Trunks achieved ssj 1 :lol: .

I wouldn't call Goku's Namek one an ass pull, they set up that Super Saiyan is a thing from the Ginyu Force onwards and there's even a nice bit of irony to it because Vegeta keeps chastizing Goku for being weak due to caring about stuff other than bloody murder and retarded Saiyan pride which is precisely what lets him transform when he snaps. Vegeta never could because his priorities weren't right for it, the Android arc and all subsequent stuff with SS pretty much ruins most of the concept to oblivion but the first one stands pretty well under scrutiny.

Base Goku can fight Final Form Freeza who in his first form can stomp SS Gohan who's power (apparently) rivals his Ultimate form from the Boo arc, that alone puts his Base in a league above anything Trunks should be able to reach, never mind once you stack more forms on top of Goku's Base.

I also really question the logic behind reasoning where a character powers down their base then powers back up with a transformation, just why? Let me explain through numbers.

Using what we know from the anime:

- 50 (SS1)
- 100 (SS2)

Goku - 5000 (Base, at absolute lowest)
[/spoiler]

In this, we can see that Goku can simply power down his Base to match Trunks then power it up until he hits whatever power level is comperable to Black's so he can get a feel for Black's power. Goku's Base power can also be sensed so this is an entirely reasonable way to do this.

Now here it is with the idea that Goku powers down his base then powers back up with transformations:

- 50 (SS1)
- 100 (SS2)

Goku - 5000 (actual Base)
- 1 (powered down)
- 100 (SS2)

Just.... Why?[/spoiler]
Damn it, i must have explained myself badly, i didn't say that ssj was an asspull, i was talking about ssj rage being an asspul despite thinking that it kinda made sense in-universe.

Also,yep, it wouldn't make any sense if Goku had to power down, which is why i said that ssj 2 Trunks was equal to ssj 2 Goku (without holding back), which doesnt make sense as you said (it is true that Trunks fought Black for a year after he achieved ssj 2 and that a hybrid has a lot of potential, but it changes absolutely nothing)

dbgtFO wrote:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:20 pm

None of these are even comparable because we're given context for all those previous power-ups. Against Raditz, he got assistance (don't even know why anything here would be considered an asspull). Against Nappa, he trained with King Kai. Against Frieza, he received zenkai, a concept constantly mentioned throughout the entire arc, despite how convenient it is. The SSJ transformation was also foreshadowed prior to him becoming one. To attain SSJ3, he trained 7 entire years in the other world.

Gohan's hidden power is just his thing, and Old Kai managed to bring it all out. Again, convenient, but not necessarily an asspull. There are many ways to work around this in the series and even make it a pivotal plot point.

Can you consider them asspulls because of the actual power scaling? Sure. But that's not primarily why Trunks' transformation rubs people the wrong way; this transformation came out of thin air with no explanation, and never received a single one either. It raises sooo many unanswered questions too. It's the sort of thing that gives ammo to haters of the franchise who say this is a series about men that inexplicably become stronger by screaming really loud.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:22 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:To attain SSJ3, he trained 7 entire years in the other world.
Yes, and Goku stated repeatedly that SS2 was his full power and he had nothing else to defeat Boo with. He even says this a couple of chapters before SS3 is even introduced. It definitely came out of nowhere as the only indication we've ever gotten that SS3 exists was Goku's dialogue right before it happened.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:To attain SSJ3, he trained 7 entire years in the other world.
Yes, and Goku stated repeatedly that SS2 was his full power and he had nothing else to defeat Boo with. He even says this a couple of chapters before SS3 is even introduced. It definitely came out of nowhere as the only indication we've ever gotten that SS3 exists was Goku's dialogue right before it happened.
Cause... he forgot. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:27 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Cause... he forgot. =P
Him forgetting about it is actually totally believable lol

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:28 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Cause... he forgot. =P
Maybe Super!Goku, but not Z Goku.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Now let us see if other Saiyans will reach this form with rage as well.

Until know not even Goku hasn't

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:37 pm

Doctor. wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Cause... he forgot. =P
Maybe Super!Goku, but not Z Goku.
Just messing around, it is obviously an after-thought otherwise they would have just him say nothing and have a troubled look instead, but my theory on this is pretty simple, there was 2 obstacles for him, the first one being the energy drain, and the second one that he thought it's not his place any longer to defend the earth and he rather wants to rely on the kids, a very strong symbolism imo. Now if you ally these two it can make sense that Goku would put SSJ3 away all together from his mind, separating completely SSJ3 and the outer world with the rest for the time he's on earth, as if he promised himself not to use nor mention it, but in the end when he needed to gain time with no other choice he still pulls it out (of his ass) and there is also the possibility he misjudged Buu's potential while sparring with him.

This is of course nothing more than my take on it, but I have to admit I have a much harder time putting pieces together in Super, I mostly blame the God-ki thing, even though I like the idea, the execution is just, well, you know, **** off power levels lol
Last edited by PsionicWarrior on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Kishido wrote:Now let us see if other Saiyans will reach this form with rage as well.

The only other Saiyan there is Gohan, goku dosen't need the ikari transformation..
Its only fair for Gohan to get one especially since he is training with Goku and is the original holder of huge Mystical powerups by rage
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Kishido wrote:Now let us see if other Saiyans will reach this form with rage as well.

The only other Saiyan there is Gohan, goku dosen't need the ikari transformation..
Its only fair for Gohan to get one especially since he is training with Goku and is the original holder of huge Mystical powerups by rage
It would be cool if ssj ikari was a transformation that only hybrids could achieve, so instead making Gohan/Goten/Kid Trunks/ go ss god, they would just go ssj rage

dbgtFO wrote:

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:10 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:

It would be cool if ssj ikari was a transformation that only hybrids could achieve, so instead making Gohan/Goten/Kid Trunks/ go ss god, they would just go ssj rage
Yeah that is the only hope left... That's why I found the theory about demi god for hybrids far better than this... Muaaaah I'm mad like other characters but I get blue ki... But no one in universe cares to even react to it

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm ok with Gohan getting SSJRage but Goten and Trunks? God no, I dont see them experienced enough to control such power, plus they're too childish to have that power, then again they did get SSJ but still, but I'm ok with them getting it if they grow up in design and mentality.