Dragon Ball Super USA Adult Swim and Toonami Ratings

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super USA Adult Swim and Toonami Ratings

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Honestly not only have most of us seen Super but its also the beginning which received the most criticism.

I watch every week simply because I LOVE Schemmel Goku.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:56 pm

Looks like it was a rerun this week so not much we can glean from it. Still pretty good if this rerun numbers.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Doesn't Super run on a weekend (Friday/Saturday) night over in the USA? That alone will kill ratings as it has to not only compete with sports but social gatherings.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:10 pm

nato25 wrote:Doesn't Super run on a weekend (Friday/Saturday) night over in the USA? That alone will kill ratings as it has to not only compete with sports but social gatherings.
Ratings should always be looked at in context in comparison. So shows in similar timeslots with siniytarger demographics that's the best way to judge a shows performance which is against its peers and not in isolation.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Fair enough, that's a good snapshot of where Super is sitting at then.

I fully agree with the notion someone mentioned before about Super being a completely different product than Z. There is almost none of that 'Americanisation' here like what happened with the old dub. The dialogue is much more faithful and the music is going to be hugely jarring to anyone that was expecting a falconer return. Tie that in with the fact that these first episodes are mostly a retelling with little to no meaningful difference from it's already available and arguably superior film counterpart and it's not a surprise Super would struggle to find an audience.

The challenge is going to be getting that audience back when the new stuff comes around. I think Trunks will definitely bring people back (although I think the blue hair thing could raise new issues) with a little effort in marketing.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 pm

nato25 wrote:Fair enough, that's a good snapshot of where Super is sitting at then.

I fully agree with the notion someone mentioned before about Super being a completely different product than Z. There is almost none of that 'Americanisation' here like what happened with the old dub. The dialogue is much more faithful and the music is going to be hugely jarring to anyone that was expecting a falconer return. Tie that in with the fact that these first episodes are mostly a retelling with little to no meaningful difference from it's already available and arguably superior film counterpart and it's not a surprise Super would struggle to find an audience.

The challenge is going to be getting that audience back when the new stuff comes around. I think Trunks will definitely bring people back (although I think the blue hair thing could raise new issues) with a little effort in marketing.
Those are factor but it more than that. American audiences are use to "hero" Goku not so much "jackass" Goku. It will likely be off putting. Combined with the ambiguity of character strengths and lack of explanation on both the base and SSJ forms will likely turn western audiences off because the reasons they enjoyed the franchise in the first place may no longer be present in this new product.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Pretty good performance for Super so far, considering the circumstances of its first arc.

Naruto Shippuden is back to canon material now and still pulling in numbers/percentages around what One Piece was doing when they decided to drop it. ...Gee, it's almost like 2:30AM is just kind of an awful timeslot in general. Be interesting to see how they react to this if the trend continues.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Cheers Baggie_Saiyan for posting the ratings! I haven't had the time to anything recently with work. I'll be on time next week.

I promise. :shifty:
I figured you had too much pudding and took a long nap :lol:
TheMikado wrote: Those are factor but it more than that. American audiences are use to "hero" Goku not so much "jackass" Goku. It will likely be off putting. Combined with the ambiguity of character strengths and lack of explanation on both the base and SSJ forms will likely turn western audiences off because the reasons they enjoyed the franchise in the first place may no longer be present in this new product.
You keep saying this but it is anything but the retelling of BoG has only dipped out the million once wheras Kai has done several times, now.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Cheers Baggie_Saiyan for posting the ratings! I haven't had the time to anything recently with work. I'll be on time next week.

TheMikado wrote: Those are factor but it more than that. American audiences are use to "hero" Goku not so much "jackass" Goku. It will likely be off putting. Combined with the ambiguity of character strengths and lack of explanation on both the base and SSJ forms will likely turn western audiences off because the reasons they enjoyed the franchise in the first place may no longer be present in this new product.
You keep saying this but it is anything but the retelling of BoG has only dipped out the million once wheras Kai has done several times, now.
Kai is 20 years old, and fan who has wanted to see it and in English has had plenty of opportunities. The fact that it's doing so well is crazy. It's an apples to oranges comparison in terms of the circumstances so I always compare AoT in that same time slot to Super for a better comparison. I only compare the two in relation to how well Kai is performing despite being 20 years old AND now having a buffer show between it and Super.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:38 am

Personally, I don't think the OST being different would be enough for people to not pay attention. I really feel as if the content of the show itself and the time slot are very important, and I think airing this at night is kind of a bad idea. Afternoon time slot would be much better.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 am

TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Kai is 20 years old, and fan who has wanted to see it and in English has had plenty of opportunities. The fact that it's doing so well is crazy. It's an apples to oranges comparison in terms of the circumstances so I always compare AoT in that same time slot to Super for a better comparison. I only compare the two in relation to how well Kai is performing despite being 20 years old AND now having a buffer show between it and Super.
Not really going to be a fair a comparison, AoT is only gonna be one cour and in that cour Super is gonna be retelling a movie that just came out.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:11 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I figured you had too much pudding and took a long nap :lol:

Not really going to be a fair a comparison, AoT is only gonna be one cour and in that cour Super is gonna be retelling a movie that just came out.
That's true but it's not like AoT has had over 25 years of international success either. Same as say Samurai Jack. Both would be considered more niche and less mainstream. Because of what DB is I think it evens out and the closest comparison to make.

We have three real metrics to compare against, recent Nicktoons ratings which show Z and even GT content is still relatively popular in the US. The movies, and Kai running simultaneously with Super. So we have evidence on how a Dragonball property that has been available for 20 years should stack up. We also have AoT which sits in a similar time slot and demographics so we know what kinds of numbers a show in that slot can pull. Then we have he revival of a more niche show like Samurai Jack and running in similar timeslots to Super so we also see what the latest entry of a show that was without doubt much less popular but targeting similar demographics and time can do. Basically Supers performance shouldn't be judged in a vacuum as there's lots on contextual information to compare it against but it should never be looked at as a failure because Jack is better or a success because it beat Kai. It needs to be holistic and view the trends to get any kind of useful data out of it .

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 am

TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
That's true but it's not like AoT has had over 25 years of international success either. Same as say Samurai Jack. Both would be considered more niche and less mainstream. Because of what DB is I think it evens out and the closest comparison to make.

We have three real metrics to compare against, recent Nicktoons ratings which show Z and even GT content is still relatively popular in the US. The movies, and Kai running simultaneously with Super. So we have evidence on how a Dragonball property that has been available for 20 years should stack up. We also have AoT which sits in a similar time slot and demographics so we know what kinds of numbers a show in that slot can pull. Then we have he revival of a more niche show like Samurai Jack and running in similar timeslots to Super so we also see what the latest entry of a show that was without doubt much less popular but targeting similar demographics and time can do. Basically Supers performance shouldn't be judged in a vacuum as there's lots on contextual information to compare it against but it should never be looked at as a failure because Jack is better or a success because it beat Kai. It needs to be holistic and view the trends to get any kind of useful data out of it .
I think shows with a definitive amount of episodes require less investment from viewers compared to the long running shows, if I am a fan of Jack (which I am) and or AoT knowing both will end in one cours time (less for Jack) then I'd make sure I'd catch them when they air but if I were a fan of DB (which of course I am lol) but something came up I'd be like eh I'll catch the next ep no biggie, like you said Buu arc has been around for a while as has Super been available in Japanese aswell as the current retelling movies available in English dub already.
So with all that I think will play a part, with AoT being so close to the JPN air date I think it'll have good numbers. Do you know how well S1 did back when it aired?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:18 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Not really going to be a fair a comparison, AoT is only gonna be one cour and in that cour Super is gonna be retelling a movie that just came out.

I think shows with a definitive amount of episodes require less investment from viewers compared to the long running shows, if I am a fan of Jack (which I am) and or AoT knowing both will end in one cours time (less for Jack) then I'd make sure I'd catch them when they air but if I were a fan of DB (which of course I am lol) but something came up I'd be like eh I'll catch the next ep no biggie, like you said Buu arc has been around for a while as has Super been available in Japanese aswell as the current retelling movies available in English dub already.
So with all that I think will play a part, with AoT being so close to the JPN air date I think it'll have good numbers. Do you know how well S1 did back when it aired?

Sure, I use these metrics to do a comparison of performance.
http://toonami.wikia.com/wiki/Toonami_Ratings_(2014)
You can see AoT often has lows in the 800K but also highs in 1.500K the deviation is definitely greater.
I would also review this for DBZs traditional performance on Toonami and this is just from showing reruns.
http://toonami.wikia.com/wiki/Toonami_Ratings_(2015)

I really try to compare Super only to its peers.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:31 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

Sure, I use these metrics to do a comparison of performance.
You can see AoT often has lows in the 800K but also highs in 1.500K the deviation is definitely greater.
I would also review this for DBZs traditional performance on Toonami and this is just from showing reruns.

I really try to compare Super only to its peers.
Just realized the above leaks don't seem to work.

Ok figured out I had to put them in URL form for the post.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Time Show Viewers 18-49 Rating 18-49 Views
8:00 Dragon Ball Super 0.55 879 0.40 519
8:30 Bob’s Burgers (r) 0.44 657 0.31 403
9:00 Rick & Morty (r) 0.49 758 0.36 463
9:30 Rick & Morty (r) 0.53 819 0.39 495
10:00 Family Guy (r) 0.69 1120 0.51 660
10:30 Family Guy (r) 0.81 1246 0.57 727

===

Time Show Viewers 18-49 Rating 18-49 Views
11:00 Samurai Jack 1330 0.68 870
11:30 Dragon Ball Super 991 0.49 634
12:00a Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 976 0.50 637
12:30a Attack on Titan 826 0.41 523
1:00a Tokyo Ghoul 712 0.35 448
1:30a Hunter X Hunter 659 0.32 417
2:00a Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 577 0.27 344
2:30a Naruto: Shippuden 547 0.26 331
3:00a Ghost in the Shell (r) 487 0.23 294

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Whoa what the heck happened this week? I was expecting a million+ for everything up until Tokyo ghoul...

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Whoa what the heck happened this week? I was expecting a million+ for everything up until Tokyo ghoul...
NBA Finals. The problem with just saying that though is that Samurai Jack and Kai did pretty standard numbers

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:12 pm

That...seems like a relatively poor debut for Attack on Titan Season 2. How much of that was just NBA Finals being higher priority vs how much is from interest having waned after it took them 4 years to produce a second season, I'm not sure.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 03, 2017 3:35 pm

TIME PROGRAM HH Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
8:00 Dragon Ball Super 0.55 914 0.36 468
8:30 Bob’s Burgers (r) 0.49 787 0.29 377
9:00 Rick & Morty (r) 0.50 858 0.38 385
9:30 Rick & Morty (r) 0.57 934 0.42 542
10:00 Family Guy (r) 0.77 1207 0.54 691
10:30 Family Guy (r) 0.90 1395 0.65 834

====

TIME PROGRAM Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
11:00 Samurai Jack 1302 0.64 824
11:30 Dragon Ball Super (r) 977 0.47 603
12:00a Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 996 0.48 619
12:30a Attack on Titan 808 0.38 481
1:00a Tokyo Ghoul 719 0.34 433
1:30a Hunter X Hunter 656 0.30 382
2:00a Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 575 0.26 338
2:30a Naruto: Shippuden 560 0.27 341
3:00a Ghost in the Shell (r) 532 0.27 341