I think Toei might be receiving guidelines for the fillers too

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

I think Toei might be receiving guidelines for the fillers too

Post by Saturnine » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:28 pm

The fillers in DB Super are vastly different from those of Z. They are better written, give good character development to the cast, feel very ingrained in the world built so far and build off virtually nothing but Toriyama's source material. Hardly any back-patting by Toei, no references towards filler or movie villains, nothing of the sort.

Do you think Toriyama could somehow have influenced this?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Re: I think Toei might be receiving guidelines for the fillers too

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:39 pm

Sounds a lot like DBZ filler.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:13 pm

I think it's just a matter of different times. There is an expectation for more complex writing these days, filler or not. Not to mention the Dragon Ball world is incredibly bigger now, by all means.

I doubt Toriyama is involved with the "fillers", but maybe the Dragon Ball room is. That or Toei just use their knowledge of future arcs and plotlines when coming up with these stories.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Nah, Toriyama would never make videl and Gohans relationship as good as it was these past two episodes. A lot of these filler moments don't seem Toriyamas style imo.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:31 am

kinisking wrote:Nah, Toriyama would never make videl and Gohans relationship as good as it was these past two episodes. A lot of these filler moments don't seem Toriyamas style imo.
Yeah, he even admitted that he wasn't even that good at romance's so that's why their so rarely focused on in the original manga/anime

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:01 am

The fillers now are practically the same as the ones in the Saiyan saga, Cell saga, or Buu saga.

Its really only the Namek saga filler that was grating because Toei didn't have much to work with since it took place in space.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:36 am

Yeah, maybe I worded this wrong. The fundamental difference is that the filler writers now are not trying to explain anything or add to the worldbuilding, knowing that it could potentially contradict what Toriyama writes next. During Z that approach was the exact opposite - they came up with what Hell looks like, they pulled the Grand Kai out of their ass and introduced many worldbuilding aspects that Toriyama either didn't endorse or plain contradicted later (like Freeza's afterlife for example). I think they realized it and stopped trying to expand the world without Toriyama's knowledge to maintain some semblance of consistency.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:54 am

I think some ideas for the Hit filler might have been suggested by Toriyama (like Goku hiring him and the new moves of Hit)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:21 am

Episode 1 was also present in the Manga so you could be on to something here. Dr Slump crossover was tooo Toriyama for it to be pure Toei. Also seems that the opening of the Universe Survival arc links quite well with the recent episodes of Goku training with Krillin which was mentioned in that magazine too.
Some episodes I do get the feeling are pure Toei like the recent Shenron episode, some I don't like I previously mentioned the Dr Slump episode. Again Hit doesn't seem like pure Toei especially with the bits of foreshadowing like Goku dodging Bulma, either Toei have learning to do things right now or Toriyama is guiding them somewhat.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:07 am

Shuesisha is now mentioned as Planning Directors in the credits, so that's probably why the quality may have gone up

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:30 am

All those GAMBARE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Moments are definitely not toriyama style..
If any help is being given, it's coming form the Dragonball room, if it even does that..

Still won't completely rule out Toriyama's involvement in it, some parts are too toriyama for it to be a coincidence..
My theory is they write the script, plan the story and send it to toriyama for review, he suggests any changes if needed
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:33 pm

I think it's just a simple case of the "filler" episodes having better writers. The most we're getting from Toriyama is character designs and a basic plot for the major arcs. I don't think he would care about anything that happens before or after the start of a major arc in Super.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:49 am

Saturnine wrote:they pulled the Grand Kai out of their ass
That was Toriyama's design.[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]Furthermore, the anime staff was always aware of Toriyama's concept of Hell. They simply took liberties.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:41 am

Nejishiki wrote:
Saturnine wrote:they pulled the Grand Kai out of their ass
That was Toriyama's design.[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]Furthermore, the anime staff was always aware of Toriyama's concept of Hell. They simply took liberties.
The character design might have been Toriyama's, but what about his role? What about the setting he was put in? That was all anime-only.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:22 pm

The character is mentioned in the original story, too. You initially claimed that the anime staff made him up when both his role & world correspond with Toriyama's mind.
On the 4 galaxies wrote:Shortly after South Kaio appeared in the manga (chapter 428, July 12th, 1993), all 4 Kaios appeared in the Afterlife Tournament filler arc, which premiered July 18th, 1993. In this arc, it’s explained that there are four Kaios, who rule the North, South, East, and West Galaxies, respectively (but the lack of a plural in Japanese kicks in again here: West Kaio, for instance, could be in charge of either the West Galaxy or West Galaxies). Above them is the Dai-Kaio, their ruler. It seems that Toriyama was fairly involved in this filler arc, since he drew a map of the DB cosmos for the first time so that it could be used for this storyline, and personally did the Dai-Kaio’s character design. In fact, the Dai-Kaio is mentioned in the anime about three months before he is in the manga: it’s not until Shin’s true identity is revealed that Piccolo explains that the Dai-Kaio is the one who stands above the 4 Kaios (chapter 440, October 11th, 1993). So Toriyama was almost certainly involved in coming up with the back-story for the Kaios for those filler episodes.