So will "my boy Gohan" finally be redeemed in this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: So will, "My boy Gohan" finally be redeemed in this arc?

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:51 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Y'know, when you put it like this it almost, maybe sort of kind of if you squint REALLY hard that you look more Asian than Fu Manchu, you might in a blue moon upon the alignments of the planet realize that Gohan hasn't done fuck or all in 20 years!

But if you take it a step further and sacrifice a baby to the altar of Darkseid, you may also potentially realize after 50 years of deep philosophical contemplation discover that his fan-base are thicker an immovable object too!
Dude, how can you say such a thing? Don't you remember how Gohan went TOE-TO-TOE WITH GOKU in one of the most recent episodes? AND NOW HE TURNED MYSTIC IN THE OPENING. They're totally setting him up for a grand return. He'll kill grey alien Superman and then proceed to absorb the Zenos into his very being and become the omnipotent God all of us know he has the potential to be.
B-but can he still turn Super Saiyan after all this!!
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:58 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Y'know, when you put it like this it almost, maybe sort of kind of if you squint REALLY hard that you look more Asian than Fu Manchu, you might in a blue moon upon the alignments of the planet realize that Gohan hasn't done fuck or all in 20 years!

But if you take it a step further and sacrifice a baby to the altar of Darkseid, you may also potentially realize after 50 years of deep philosophical contemplation discover that his fan-base are thicker an immovable object too!
Dude, how can you say such a thing? Don't you remember how Gohan went TOE-TO-TOE WITH GOKU in one of the most recent episodes? AND NOW HE TURNED MYSTIC IN THE OPENING. They're totally setting him up for a grand return. He'll kill grey alien Superman and then proceed to absorb the Zenos into his very being and become the omnipotent God all of us know he has the potential to be.
B-but can he still turn Super Saiyan after all this!!
Ok guys, stop, I demand ya'll to stop this! mah boi Gohan's gonna do fabulous I tell you! he's gonna transform into the most badass character this franchise has ever seen, he's gonna blow all of your minds!
inb4 "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Mystic Lightning Zeno Gohan" preach it with me.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:47 am

SsjCookie wrote:
I most certainly hope not, Goku's reliance on these stupid overgrown marbles is getting ridiculous.
It would certainly negate the whole arc if universes are destroyed only to be wished back again, i mean what's the whole point about this tournament anyway.
The winner gets to live, and the losers can only hope they'll be wished back.

Besides do the Super dragonballs even have the power to restore the other universes?
Can Goku risk that gamble?
He has before taking such gambles and it isn't like Goku is the only one who relies on those overgrown marbles.

Piccolo: Go kill everyone on Earth, then you fight the strong fighter.

Everyone on the Lookout: It's okay if Super Buu kill Goten, Trunks, and Piccolo in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. We can wish them back with the Dragon Balls.

Bulma: I gathered the Dragon Balls as the grand bingo prize.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: So will "my boy Gohan" finally be redeemed in this arc?

Post by julianix » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes Gohan will be redeemed and he will not have the dumb as all hell blue hair.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:22 pm

Yup he will

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:11 pm

Yo mah my boy Gohan's gonna get dope as shiiit man, hodded guy is cell confirmed gohan becomes SSB2 and powers revealed, hakaishin gohan boyy
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm betting we'll have a few sweet moments of Gohan being great before someone beats his ass and throws him back in the muddy ditch he belongs in.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:I'm betting we'll have a few sweet moments of Gohan being great before someone beats his ass and throws him back in the muddy ditch he belongs in.
That can be said about all other characters, realistically speaking if gohan is training to fight he has the biggest chance of not getting thrown away
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kamen Rider Revolver

Post by Kamen Rider Revolver » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Cipher wrote:
At this point I hope our boy Gohan dies.

I hope his last words are, "I'm letting all my boys down, bro."
This is unfortunately true when it comes to anime reactions in general, especially DB ones.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:I'm betting we'll have a few sweet moments of Gohan being great before someone beats his ass and throws him back in the muddy ditch he belongs in.
That can be said about all other characters, realistically speaking if gohan is training to fight he has the biggest chance of not getting thrown away
Yeah but I've always been a villain/antagonist lover, our heroes make such great punching bags.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Well I wouldn't mind someone else taking the role of the strongest z fighter. Vegeta is close, but KKx2 to the face and Vegeta gets his face remodeled.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:There's a bit of... I don't know if I'd quite call it "irony", but it's certainly something... in criticizing others' opinions and posts with little more than an animated GIF. If we're going to ask for worthwhile material, let's stand up and actually provide it.
I'm sorry. I knew it was wrong, but chose not to present pure schadenfreude as anything but. I simply couldn't help bringing in the appearance of a genuine "my boy Gohan" (posted by a "PM_ME_UR_ASSES_GURLS," no less), within twenty-four hours of this thread's creation. It was too serendipitous. My apologies. I'll tone down the snark.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Well, the exact moment Gohan will deliver the final blow that could redeem him in a fight, Piccolo will interpose and get pierced.
"Oh, sorry. Habits.", and die.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:07 pm

Does anybody else find this thread, to be a bit, circle jerk-ey ? I mean, this thread wasn't going to be anything besides people saying, "Yup" or "Nope", but it kinda got "hijacked" by like 4-5 people. Just my two cents.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:46 pm

"My boy Gohan" has been a meme for quite a while now, if Toei takes notice of it they'll eventually reference it in the actual anime like they did with the Yamcha dying meme.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:12 pm

precita wrote:"My boy Gohan" has been a meme for quite a while now, if Toei takes notice of it they'll eventually reference it in the actual anime like they did with the Yamcha dying meme.
Man, and here I thought "Mah Boy, Wally" from Chugga's mother 1 lp had finally cought on.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Sure... why not? I mean, I don't really see what Gohan really needs redeeming for in the first place.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Sure... why not? I mean, I don't really see what Gohan really needs redeeming for in the first place.
I wonder if it's Piccolo protecting him like he was a kid again, him fainting in one of the most pathetic ways possible, keeping him unaware of FT situation like he's a child (Which Gohan himself got angry at), barely being able to maintain a transformation he mastered before he hit puberty, or being swatted away like a fly using Majin Boo.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Vados_chan wrote:He doesn't need to be "redeemed"
My view too. I know it sucks when your favourite character is sidelined, and he's one of mine too and it still stings that he was built up so much and... nothing much came of it. But I do like that he's so different from Goku. Fighting was something Goku chose, while it's something that Gohan was sort of flung into before he could really make a choice. It makes sense that his priorities might change after he settled down, had a kid and found success in other areas.

I expect Gohan will get back into the swing of things and regain some dignity in battle. But I really dig the bespectacled dad Gohan who enjoys some adventure as Great Saiyaman on the side.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:23 pm

I was going to say "they could have basically made an entire arc just dedicated to the idea of Gohan being 'redeemed'". But then I remembered that already happened. It was called Majin Buu.

Still, at this point, it's been so long since they've really explored his character it's almost new and could actually be kind of refreshing if they give him things to do that aren't just people saying "you haven't been training, Gohan!" or "it's fine you haven't been training, Gohan!"

Obviously the fanbase overreacts a bit about it - I doubt Gohan's ever going to be important enough to satisfy every one of his fans - but I still think the idea of a 'redemption', if they play it that way, could honestly be a nice story. It would it make it seem like the reason he didn't have much screentime before now was because they were purposely waiting for this arc. Even if that wasn't the case at all.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix