Latin American Super Dub Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: LATIN AMERICAN DUB CONFIRMED (Brenda Nava Confirmed as translator!)

Post by Alee9977 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:52 pm

https://twitter.com/LaloGarx/status/834811878136246272

Latin American dub confirmed, Lalo Garza is the director.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Alee9977 wrote:https://twitter.com/LaloGarx/status/834811878136246272

From what I've been reading he's not that good of a voice director. Is that true?
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:

From what I've been reading he's not that good of a voice director. Is that true?
He is pretty mediocre, some of his decitions aren't good but thankfully he isn't the traducer.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:

He is pretty mediocre, some of his decitions aren't good but thankfully he isn't the traducer.
Could you give any examples of what makes him mediocre?
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:YES! YES! YES! YES!

I cant wait for the dub!

http://www.anmtvla.com/2017/02/dragon-b ... renda.html
Is Brenda Nava special?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:44 pm

http://www.anmtvla.com/2017/02/dragon-b ... garza.html

Eduardo Garza is the director...Okay you cant win them all...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Could you give any examples of what makes him mediocre?
The majority of the scripts he makes adapting the original version aren't very good, sometimes they deviate a little from the original script and some dialogues are changed making them lose their original meaning, or even names, see for example Bills instead of Beerus, God Super Saiyan instead of Super Saiyan God and more examples that happened in the last two movies. This is only talking about DB. I won't be surprised if he calls Black with the literal spanish word (Negro) or things like that.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Alee9977 wrote: I won't be surprised if he calls Black with the literal spanish word (Negro) or things like that.
God, no. I'll take Goku Oscuro over that.

But with Brenda Nava on board, I'm sure they'll leave it as Goku Black
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:31 pm

Nekis13 wrote:
Alee9977 wrote: I won't be surprised if he calls Black with the literal spanish word (Negro) or things like that.
God, no. I'll take Goku Oscuro over that.

But with Brenda Nava on board, I'm sure they'll leave it as Goku Black
Yeah thanks to twitter and facebook there should be more feedback between the staff and the fans, everybody let Brenda know we prefer Black over Oscuro or Negro and she accepted, but Lalo has to accept these things first, he is the one with the final word.

More news, Goku's original VA is confirmed, along with the original VA of Trunks, Kaiosama, the narrator, and many others. Sadly, we will have a new VA of Yamcha because the original actor has passed.
And Lalo is going to give more information in a few moments via streaming apparently.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:35 pm

He was already replaced. Jesus Barrero hasnt been Yamcha in years. He didnt even play him in BoG and FnF. Too bad the same cant be said for Saint Seiya.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:42 am

sangofe wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:YES! YES! YES! YES!

I cant wait for the dub!

http://www.anmtvla.com/2017/02/dragon-b ... renda.html
Is Brenda Nava special?
She's a really good translator. Her translations tend to be very faithful but not excessively literal. She translated the majority of Dragon Ball, except or the first 60 episodes, all of Dbz, all GT, all the movies except for Battle of Gods, and the manga.

Fans of the Latin American dub, me included, are very excited that Brenda is back because this means that Super will have a very faithful script. This also means that Super won't be translated using FUNi's scripts like Dbz Kai, Battle of Gods and The Final Chapters which weren't that good. TFC hasn't been aired yet, so I don't know how good the translation is.

To me, she is just as important to the LatAm dub as Mario Castañeda.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am

Bajosexto wrote:
Fans of the Latin American dub, me included, are very excited that Brenda is back because this means that Super will have a very faithful script. This also means that Super won't be translated using FUNi's scripts like Dbz Kai, Battle of Gods and The Final Chapters which weren't that good. TFC hasn't been aired yet, so I don't know how good the translation is.

Only Kai 1.0 used Funimation's script, FInal Chapters, BoG, Resurrection F and Super come directly from the original version.

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:He was already replaced. Jesus Barrero hasnt been Yamcha in years. He didnt even play him in BoG and FnF. Too bad the same cant be said for Saint Seiya.
Yes, but I meant in a DB series that was aired, because he was Yamcha in Kai, but not in Kai 2.0 and BoG.

The news we got from Eduardo Garza is that the majority of the cast is in the project, some of them are finishing negociations with Toei but most likely everything will be solved according to him, something that worried me was that he said that one person of the cast was replaced because the client didn't like it and I'm still wondering who can that be. The only characters I can think of are Kaioshins and Mr.Satan, those are the only ones he didn't mention and most likely it will be one of the kaioshins I think.
There are many channels interested in Super, most likely Cartoon Network is involved, and I would like to think that Fox is interested too, they can be the best option for transmiting Super in Latam without censorship. Also Crunchyroll is interested too, if that happens then we will be able to watch Super without any censorship there.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:25 am

Alee9977 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:

Only Kai 1.0 used Funimation's script, FInal Chapters, BoG, Resurrection F and Super come directly from the original version.
Both the Final chapters and Battle of Gods used English scripts. I'm not sure if they were FUNi's scripts, but they were definitely scripts in English. Maybe they were English scripts from Toei.

Battle of Gods was translated by Jesus Vallejo who doesn't speak Japanese. The Final Chapters was translated by Regina Barajas. To be honest I'm not exactly sure if it was translated using English scripts, but The TFC doblaje wiki says that it used both English and Japanese scripts, but most of the translation was done from English scripts.

One of the reasons I do think that TFC was translated using English script, is that Luis Alfonso Mendoza, the dub director, was tweeting pictures of the cast with the name of the character they were voicing as they were being confirmed. He tweeted one with Enrique Cervantes, who is replacing Mario Sauret as Gyumao, that said Ox king. Gyumao is called Ox Satan in the LatAm dub, not Ox king. This makes me think that they might of used FUNi's scripts. Lalo Garza also made a tweet that said "Disco Destructor"...dios mío #DBZKai!" which is the Spanish translation of FUNi's Destructor Disk.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:59 am

Can't wait for this, I grew up with the Latin American Dub, I hope Mario Castañeda gets selected to voice Goku Black aswell.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:27 am

Bajosexto wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:

Both the Final chapters and Battle of Gods used English scripts. I'm not sure if they were FUNi's scripts, but they were definitely scripts in English. Maybe they were English scripts from Toei.

Battle of Gods was translated by Jesus Vallejo who doesn't speak Japanese. The Final Chapters was translated by Regina Barajas. To be honest I'm not exactly sure if it was translated using English scripts, but The TFC doblaje wiki says that it used both English and Japanese scripts, but most of the translation was done from English scripts.

One of the reasons I do think that TFC was translated using English script, is that Luis Alfonso Mendoza, the dub director, was tweeting pictures of the cast with the name of the character they were voicing as they were being confirmed. He tweeted one with Enrique Cervantes, who is replacing Mario Sauret as Gyumao, that said Ox king. Gyumao is called Ox Satan in the LatAm dub, not Ox king. This makes me think that they might of used FUNi's scripts. Lalo Garza also made a tweet that said "Disco Destructor"...dios mío #DBZKai!" which is the Spanish translation of FUNi's Destructor Disk.
Yep you are right, most likely they were scripts made by Toei for the international release, at least in BoG, because Funimation licensed it months later after the movie was released in Latam.
Maybe the same goes to Kai, but they were recording over the japanese version, and don't worry about Disco Destructor or things like that, they usually make jokes about the different translations :lol: (In yesterday's streaming, Lalo shout Onda Vital...)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:He was already replaced. Jesus Barrero hasnt been Yamcha in years. He didnt even play him in BoG and FnF. Too bad the same cant be said for Saint Seiya.

Yes, but I meant in a DB series that was aired, because he was Yamcha in Kai, but not in Kai 2.0 and BoG.
Wait, what? What are you talking about? He wasnt Yamcha in Kai! I'm kind of insulted you both didnt know the voice of Jesus Barrero well enough to tell it wasnt him! It was Ricardo Mendoza!

I'm really sorry for being so rude and disrespectful but I'm really passionate about stuff like this.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Should we be worried about Rene Garcia and Carlos Segundo not being confirmed yet...?
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Nekis13 wrote:Should we be worried about Rene Garcia and Carlos Segundo not being confirmed yet...?
No. There's no way TOEI would replace them. People would revolt in Latin America. I'm pretty sure they're still negotiating.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:

Wait, what? What are you talking about? He wasnt Yamcha in Kai! I'm kind of insulted you both didnt know the voice of Jesus Barrero well enough to tell it wasnt him! It was Ricardo Mendoza!

I'm really sorry for being so rude and disrespectful but I'm really passionate about stuff like this.
Yeah right, I was reading about the first voices of some characters and the new ones when I wrote this and messed it up completely and this even isn't the first time that I confuse voices, I said once that Garza did Krillin in Buu's arc when Luis Daniel Ramirez did it.
But yeah, Barrero was Yamcha's first voice in Dragon Ball only, right?

Nekis13 wrote:Should we be worried about Rene Garcia and Carlos Segundo not being confirmed yet...?
Rene is practically confirmed, he was supposed to start today but because of schedule problems he wasn't able to do it.
Carlos Segundo, Luis Alfonso Mendoza, Carola Vazquez and many others aren't confirmed yet, but Lalo said it's only a matter of time.
The thing that really worries me is that one of the original voices is being replaced and they don't want to tell us who he is.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:51 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:

Yep you are right, most likely they were scripts made by Toei for the international release, at least in BoG, because Funimation licensed it months later after the movie was released in Latam.
Maybe the same goes to Kai, but they were recording over the japanese version, and don't worry about Disco Destructor or things like that, they usually make jokes about the different translations :lol: (In yesterday's streaming, Lalo shout Onda Vital...)
Yeah, I kinda of knew Lalo was trolling when he tweeted "Disco Destructor". But I do remember seeing a picture of the scripts of TFC that had "Supreme Kai" instead of "Supremo Kaio-Sama". I think I saw it in Luis Alfonso Mendoza's tweeter. It's also weird how the picture with Enrique Cervantes said "Ox King". This makes me think that they might of used English scripts for The Final Chapters. They probably used English scripts provided by TOEI.