Did Super ruin some characters for you?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Did Super ruin some characters for you?

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:15 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I do like most of the new characters though...
Most of them are really good characters. I like them so much that I can't think of DB without thinking of them now. it's a shame the old cast aren't written as well but hopefully that'll change in this arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Piccolo and Vegeta should go back to the way they were at the start of the Cell arc.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:22 pm

I've had one or two issues with Goku's characterisation at times, but nowhere near to the extent that I would say the character was "ruined". Initially, Videl and Chi Chi came to mind, but recent filler episodes has show just how well characterised Videl can be as Gohan's wife and Chi Chi has had moments where she acted like a total bicth in the manga and in Super it's more of a rollercoaster with her character flip-flopping from mellow to hot-headed at the drop of a hat.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:23 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:Piccolo and Vegeta should go back to the way they were at the start of the Cell arc.
Piccolo was really no different at the start of the Cell arc to what he is now, and in Vegeta's case... you're basically asking him to become a battle hungry, unrepentant, foolish asshole again. So... you basically want character regression for Vegeta? :?

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:57 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:Piccolo and Vegeta should go back to the way they were at the start of the Cell arc.
I don't think Piccolo or Vegeta need that. Piccolo is virtually the same then as he is now. Vegeta on the other hand, I'd be happy if he was even more like his Boo Saga self. I just find him very boring nowadays.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:31 pm

TheMathemagician wrote:
I don't think Piccolo or Vegeta need that. Piccolo is virtually the same then as he is now. Vegeta on the other hand, I'd be happy if he was even more like his Boo Saga self. I just find him very boring nowadays.
Post or pre Majin?

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Beyond wrote:
TheMathemagician wrote:
Post or pre Majin?
I sort of just liked both. Pre-Majin still had that arrogance I loved from him, but Post-Majin mellowed out a bit. Now in Super, he's gotten some nice development, but he's mellowed out to where the character has just lost the "spunk" he had back then imo. Don't really know how to explain it but it's how I feel.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:08 pm

Vegeta's lost the hot-bloodedness that separates him from Piccolo and Tenshinhan. He's less interesting without it.

I still think potara fusion messed both Vegeta and Gokû up on some emotional level. Doing it a second time ten or so episodes back didn't help.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Gohan. Went from being the strongest non-fused Z fighter to basically human-tier in 5 years. I wish the series would decide if they want him to be a scholar or a fighter.
Not sure how I feel about the new rules surrounding Potara. Why don't they form Vegerot in basically any dangerous situation ever then? What's stopping them?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:07 pm

Vegeta is my favorite character and I can personally say he's lost that sense of pride and indignation that I love about him. There are ways to let the character retain his pride while showing he still values his family and I think EoZ and GT did those well. In almost every scene with Vegeta you see him involved with his family. Super obviously has those as well but makes him much more dull and "nice". He's lost some of that great trash talk that I loved about him. It's like in Super he's accepted that he's merely "ok" when compared to Gokus fighting ability. And lacks the independence to be something seperate than Gokus rival.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:26 pm

In the anime, none. I mean they have to really do everything wrong in this tournament with Gohan to ruin him for me. He would have to be wish-washy throughout the whole arc, only get serious because something cliche like Piccolo dying happens, and the worst offender would be if he went back to what he was before the arc started. If somehow that all happened, I'd say super ruined him.

If Piccolo only role in this toruny is to die, I'll just pretend he died in Z. I'd say Piccolo's pretty god awful in the manga already. Easily the worst character in the manga by far.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:26 am

I didn't like Beerus portrayal in BoG arc. Also, Super made Beerus less polite and I would have loved if he kept that politeness he had, but oh well...
There are parts (particulary in the Trunks arc) where he picks on his ear and then throw his earwax to people (Trunks) :? , that was pretty bad, why? who wrote that? :( :thumbdown: If he isn't going to do something useful more than showing how much he doesn't care and doesn't respect others then why do you have him there :? (for these moments I prefer the manga better). Even him and Whis just eating while not caring is way better than this. :|

Goku irritates me at times. I tolerate him more now, but him not understanding anything that isn't about fighting is so dissapointing. He by no means was or is of my favorites for it to be "ruined" for me but I had to say it. :P

Then with Vegeta I completely agree and feel like Chuquita:
Chuquita wrote:I wouldn't go as far as to say "ruin", but man do I miss Vegeta. I miss hotblooded rival Vegeta so damn much. He was ridiculous, but he was so much fun to watch in action. I don't like where they've been steering him in Super as of late. VegeBul is so boring to me. "Nervous anxiety around Beerus" Vegeta is tiring by this point. Vegeta isn't even my favorite, but watching him fade into the background breaks my heart in a way where I get where Gohan and Piccolo fans are coming from in not wanting a character they like to be sidelined in that way.
The thing that I liked about Vegeta in Z and particularly in the Buu arc is how he was not confortable with Kakarotto and wanted to stay away from him, but at the same time they were kind of friends and he wouldn't stop into being stronger than him.
VegeBul was boring to me since episode 2 of Super, even earlier (I already had what I wanted to see in BoG movie, why emphasize more on it?).
I've also complained in the past about how I despised how his relationship with Beerus was. For both characters it looked bad. :|

So, did Super ruined them for me? No, I still like Beerus. His fear for Zen'ou has growed on me and now with this arc I guess its finally going to be taken seriously (int that, he won't over exaggerate for it to be "funny"), so I'll wait for more of that. :3
Now, for Vegeta, I'll always have Z to like him again :3
...Even with Beerus I can just rewatch BoG and my favorite parts of him in Super again and try to forget the bad parts :| :lol:
Last edited by Beerus-sama on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:29 am

Oh I got a whole fucking list, mate. Could probably add more if I wanted too also.

1: Goku: Fucking Christ, he is NOTHING like what he used to be. He's the most flanderized character I've ever seen. More flanderized than Ned Flanders himself. And to make it worse, this unlikable fuck hogs all the screen time in Super.

2: Krillin: Not "ruined" per-say since I still like him, but he's been out of character SEVERAL times in Super and it annoys me greatly.

3: Gohan: Do I really have t say what's wrong with him? It's all been said already.

4: Videl: Oh god, she has the personality of Mrs Briefs now. AKA no personality at all. Where's the cool character we had in the Buu arc? Completely gone.

5: Future Trunks: He wasn't ruined per-say. His storyline was. I love his arc in Super, but I seriously hate how it fucked up the perfect conclusion he got at the end of the Cell arc.

6: Chi-Chi: I never liked her much at all, but they've made her even more of a bitch than she was before. Also in the Buu arc she was a lot more lenient to Goten then she was to Gohan, but now she's constantly nagging Goten too.

7: Ginyu: By bringing him back for no reason, killing him, etcetera.

8: Beerus: Not quite ruined but his character portrayal in the BoG movie was a lot better than in the BoG arc.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:40 am

Chuquita wrote:Vegeta's lost the hot-bloodedness that separates him from Piccolo and Tenshinhan. He's less interesting without it.

I still think potara fusion messed both Vegeta and Gokû up on some emotional level. Doing it a second time ten or so episodes back didn't help.
I don't think fusion did anything to them, or was there something that was stated about this? Regardless, I do agree that Vegeta's lost his "edge" of sorts from Z.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:04 am

TekTheNinja wrote:1: Goku: He is NOTHING like what he used to be. And to make it worse, this unlikable fuck hogs all the screen time in Super.
This is pretty much the worst thing about him. even when it's a character's moment, he still finds away to force himself into it.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:15 am

sintzu wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:1: Goku: He is NOTHING like what he used to be. And to make it worse, this unlikable fuck hogs all the screen time in Super.
This is pretty much the worst thing about him. even when it's a character's moment, he still finds away to force himself into it.
True, like that Krillin episode a few episodes back I think would have been better if Goku wasn't even there and Krillin just trained with Roshi on his own. To me, Goku was just getting in the way.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 am

TekTheNinja wrote:8: Beerus: Not quite ruined but his character portrayal in the BoG movie was a lot better than in the BoG arc.
You should have seen that coming. A character like Beerus that should have just a few "unusual" moments would certainly be changed drastically in an anime and/or manga series. It's totally fine when he freaks out by seeing or hearing "Zen-chan", given all the context, story and such, but they would obviously mess up with Beerus' personality at the very first moment they could give him a bigger screentime. One thing that annoyed me as hell was seeing him taking care of time travel issues, as if he was the god in charge of it, that alone didn't ruin the character but he was totally out of place there.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:53 am

TekTheNinja wrote:True, like that Krillin episode a few episodes back I think would have been better if Goku wasn't even there and Krillin just trained with Roshi on his own. To me, Goku was just getting in the way.
Or Trunks just killing Zamasu instead of him failing and Goku bringing Zeno in to do it. Or letting Vegeta just finish off Freeza.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:33 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Piccolo was really no different at the start of the Cell arc to what he is now, and in Vegeta's case... you're basically asking him to become a battle hungry, unrepentant, foolish asshole again. So... you basically want character regression for Vegeta? :?
Piccolo is definitely different if you analyse it.

Vegeta is liked because of what he was back then not what he is like now

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:46 am

Gohan simply because of how he was such an important main character in Z but in Super, it was rare to see him for about 40 episodes following the RoF arc, fading into basically a tertiary character . I don't mind the scholar stuff, it's kinda cool to me, but fighting-wise, he used to help in anyway possible even if he was too weak and now he just always relies on his father to do something(which is understandable, but not what he would've done..) + the 'I'm going to train' bait scenes but at least now he's in the tournament and can do somewhat good...