Dragon Ball Super's Timeline

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Dragon Ball Super's Timeline

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:04 am

I just wanted to make sure I (and we) have all got this right because a lot of us assumed that we are currently in Age 780 because Bra is suppose to be born soon and that was apparently her birth date given.

That doesn't seem to fit though so let me just make sure I've got this right.

August Age 778 - Bulma's birthday is August 13. In the Battle of Gods saga she's celebrating her birthday so yeah August. The Dragon Balls were gathered and a wish was made.

At least August Age 779 - Would be when the balls became active once again and then Frieza was revived and we got the wish for one million zeni and the ice cream.

At least December Age 779 - Frieza trained for 4 months so the battle with Golden Frieza would be around here.

At least August Age 780 - The Dragon Balls became active again and shortly before the Universe 6 Tournament Shenron is summoned and Beerus wishes for him to scram. Then there's the Tournament and the Super Dragon Balls are used to bring back U6's Earth.

At least August 781 - Would be where we should be now. They said that the Super Dragon Balls had been gathered once again and Zuno said after they were used they couldn't be used again for a year (a cockroaches life span).

So this Universe Survival saga should be at least a year after the Universe 6 saga. How could we be in Age 780 when its probably a push that we'd even be in Age 781?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Supers Timeline

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:47 am

• Start: Bluma's birthday; Shen Long grants one wish of three (four month recharge).
  • 6 months+: Vegeta trains with Whis; Shen Long grants three wishes (full year recharge).
    4 months: Freeza trains.
  • 7 days: Champa bets with Beerus after Freeza's death; Shen Long grants one wish of three (four month recharge); Super Shen Long grants one wish; Universe 7 party.
  • [17 years later in the alternate future: Future Trunks departs.]
    Several days: Zamasu is investigated & defeated; Whis compensates Future Trunks; Shen Long grants one wish of two (four month recharge?).
  • ???: Bluma is pregnant with Bra; Super Dragon Balls are active & gathered.
As far as I know, those are most of the specific days, weeks, months, & years cited. If Shen Long grants one wish, the Dragon Balls will recharge in four months. At minimum, 2 years & 6 months have passed in Dragon Ball Super.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:07 pm

But when the Dragon Ball's recharge they don't reset the number of wishes do they? They made one wish in the Universe 6 saga when Beerus told Shenron to scram but then in the Future Trunks filler I think they did mention something about the recharge time being short but they were only able to use the two remaining wishes, one was to heal Pan and the other went unused.

So if they only used one wish in the Battle of Gods saga then shouldn't there have only been two wishes available in the Resurrection F saga instead of three?

But alright let's go with what you said. It'd mean

August 778 - Goku becomes a God
At least February 779 - Frieza gets revived
At least June 779 - Frieza lands on Earth
At least February 780 - Beerus uses one wish. The Super Dragon Ball's are used.
At least February 781 - The Super Dragon Balls are reset.

So we still shouldn't be in Age 780 because the Universe Survival saga has to be at least a year after the Universe 6 saga and the Universe 6 saga has to be at least a year after the Resurrection F saga.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:22 pm

So 3 more years before EoZ, I thought we were a year away for Goku and Oob's meeting.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:59 pm

I'll try writing down a timeline using the manga as much as possible. Feel free to correct me with manga proof if something's missing or wrong.

August 778 - Battle of Gods happens

May 779 - Pan is born (It's nine months later, and it allows for her to be 4 years old in EoZ), Frieza is resurrected a short while afterwards

September 779 - Resurrection F (skipped in the Super manga, but we have Volume F. It's a little iffy. Either way, September is when four months have passed.)

A short while after Resurrection F - The Universe 6 arc (In the anime, there's a wish to Shenron which forces another eight months to have passed since Resurrection F. In the manga, this wish never happens. We also have Krillin still being bald in the manga while his hair is back in the anime. This suggests, to me, that not as much time has passed in the manga version, which can easily be placed in 779. I like thinking that it's in November, but it could easily be in September, too.)

A little while after the Universe 6 arc - The Zamasu arc (No passing of time is shown, as far as I can recall. Well, there may have been a Pan age thing, but I can't remember what it was. If there was such a thing, then it in all likelihood wasn't that she was growing old or anything. Even if she turned 1, the arc can still take place in May 780. No problem, pregnancy isn't particularly visible at three months. A quick Google search suggests that three months in is about the time it'll start showing at all.)

One year after the Universe 6 arc - Universe Survival arc (The manga hasn't gotten here yet, but we know that the Super Dragon Balls are active again, which means that one full year must have passed since the Universe 6 arc. Going off my randomly chosen Universe 6 arc date, it's now November Age 780. No problem here, Bulma is very visibly pregnant and is about to give birth to Bulla, which preserves her guidebook birthyear of Age 780.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Bullza wrote:But when the Dragon Ball's recharge they don't reset the number of wishes do they?
Yeah, don't know how Nejishki got that impression. That would be quite a counter-intuitive interpretation and I'm sure Goku's conversation with Piccolo on the subject in the Buu arc goes completely against it. Getting 6 wishes within a one year period, but spread out over 3 summonings does not make any sense to me. So it's obviously stated in some guidebook somewhere^_^

Not sure Goku's question about SS God counts as a wish. Since Sorbet got all 3 wishes, it logically shouldn't have.
Same with Beerus' wish for Shenlong to eff off.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:26 pm

May 779 - Pan is born (It's nine months later, and it allows for her to be 4 years old in EoZ), Frieza is resurrected a short while afterwards
Oh that's a really good point. You're right 9 months after August is May. The World Tournaments take place in May and Pan was still 4 during EoZ which must mean that Pan was born in Mid/Late May 779.

So you're right the fight with Frieza would be September 779.

Then in the anime the Universe 6 Tournament would have to be at least May 780. Whether Beerus' wish counted or not doesn't matter because the Dragon Balls weren't stone. The Super Dragon Balls were used.

One year on from that for the Super Dragon Balls to be active again it would have to be at least May 781.

So in the anime at least no matter how you look at it we have to be in Age 781, less than 3 years away from EoZ. The manga could fit with being in Age 780 because those filler wishes weren't made.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:34 pm

I wouldn't try to make sense of it, it's obviously not making sense anymore. Just roll with the "still stuck vaguely somewhere in 10 year gap" excuse and don't think about it too much as clearly neither Toei or Toriyama do in their quest to milk this period as much as possible.

One way or another, it's the main reason why I hope Super doesn't go beyond ~150 episodes. We can all suspend some disbelief how much has happened in this "peace time" and even pretend to forget some details from EOZ (5 years not seeing Bulma etc) but eventually, this series has to move into some other period, be it even in the past. Inserting new content into a previously defined timeframe can only work so long before it becomes just silly and completly unplausible.

Although I do wonder, does Super actually state at any point how many years EXACTLY has it been since Buu saga?

MKJ

Post by MKJ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:05 pm

I don't think EoZ has anything at all to do with super. If anything it appears that EoZ is now the last of Z before Super. They may introduce the characters in a new way, but I have a feeling that anyone that is to attached to the timeline from back in the day will end up disappointed.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:59 pm

I just checked the episode where Pan was first introduced. Gohan says that she's "already a few months old". If she were born in May then a few months after (3 or 4) would fit with Frieza being revived in about August, one whole year after the Battle of Gods saga.

So the dates I mentioned in the OP should be about right.
Although I do wonder, does Super actually state at any point how many years EXACTLY has it been since Buu saga?
No it doesn't. The dub specifically says that Super starts a few months after the wish to erase the memories of Buu but that wasn't said in the original version.
I don't think EoZ has anything at all to do with super.
Well they did mention Uub so it's gotta have something to do with it. They're also having Bra be born and of course she only appeared in EoZ.

As a baby she's not really gonna do much I imagine so her appearence is probably just so it fits with EoZ.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Alright so I looked more into it and I think I got it.

August 778 - Was when the Battle of Gods saga took place on Bulmas birthday. The Dragon Balls were used.

February 779 - Was when Vegeta went to Beerus' planet.

May 779 - Was when Pan was born, 9 months after the Battle of Gods saga. She'd be about to turn 5 during EoZ because the Tournaments are held in early May.

August 779 - Was six months after February and when Goku went to Beerus' planet. This was when Frieza was revived because Gohan said Pan was already a few months old at the time.

December 779 - Was four months later when Frieza landed on Earth. Xenoverse 2 also confirms these events happened in 779.

Roughly August 780 - Was when the Universe 6 saga happened because the Dragon Balls were active again. The Super Dragon Balls were used. The filler afterward was just set over the next few days.

Roughly December 780 - Was when the filler after the Future Trunks saga took place. The Dragon Balls had become active again after one wish had been made on them previously making it at least four months later. This would also be 9 months before the Universe Survival saga meaning Bulma would have got pregnant around this time.

Roughly August 781 - Is when this current saga takes place because the Super Dragon Balls have become active again. Bra is about to be born.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super's Timeline

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:59 am

Seeing as one of the major points of contention in establishing Super's timeline seems to be how often the Dragon Balls are used, how would it change if we made the assumption that Dende upgraded them again to become active in roughly the same amount of time as the Namekian Dragon Balls? I mean, he's upgraded them off screen before during the break between Cell and Buu, why couldn't he have done it again? (Admittedly there's no evidence to indicate that he has done so, but there's nothing to say he didn't either.)

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:25 am

Manga:
Bulma's birthday - August
Shenron grants one wish
Goku and Beerus fight
Pan is born
Shenron grants three wishes
Freezer trains four months
Freezer is defeated
Beerus & Champa tournament
Zamasu arc
Universe survival arc begins
Bra is born

Anime:
Bulma's birthday - August
Shenron grants one wish
Goku and Beerus fight
Pan is born
Shenron grants three wishes
Freezer trains four months
Freezer is defeated
Beerus & Champa tournament
Shenron grants one wish
Zamasu arc
Shenron grants two wishes
Universal survival arc begins
Bra is born

The anime is a little tighter because they used the dragon balls more but it still fits.
Heno heno kappa!

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 am

Since no one here really tried to date Super from the pilot I'll do it: November, Age 774: It is statesd that Super begins 6 months after Kid Buu's defeat (May 8th, 774), Goku gets 100 million Zenis (peace prize) from Mr. Satan for the defeat of Evil Buu. It's never stated but the Vegeta family vacation from episode 2 should take place during the same time or shortly after.
THEN A TIME SKIP TO Bulma's birthday in August 13th, Age 778 (If they didn't retconned the timeline from the Battle of Gods movie to milk the 10 years timespace to place in more stories; BTW Xenoverse 2, although being official, can't affect the real world decisions by Toei & Toriyama if Super would continue to 150+ episodes apparently taking place within the 10 years gap between Kid Buu Saga to End of Z) and the rest as folllows (the gap between Frieza's death in RoF arc/December of Age 779 to Champa arc should be a few months at best, if not weeks later), the Zamasu arc (happens right afterwards, maybe a few weeks from the tournament) is in-universe only a few days long (less than a week for sure) since Future Trunks shows up in our timeline to Future Zeno destroying his timeline. The filler episodes (68-76) since Future Trunks left till the Universe Survival Arc is also a short period withing that year, considering it's still Age 780 (apparently if not retconned to milk the $$$ cow more).

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Seeing as one of the major points of contention in establishing Super's timeline seems to be how often the Dragon Balls are used, how would it change if we made the assumption that Dende upgraded them again to become active in roughly the same amount of time as the Namekian Dragon Balls?
That'd only bring the dates forward by several months but the year date would remain unchanged. Frieza would have still died in December Age 779. So even if the Universe 6 saga took place in January it still has to be over a year on from that by the Universe Survival saga so it'd still be Age 781.
The anime is a little tighter because they used the dragon balls more but it still fits.
It can't do. You had their Universe 6 and Survival sagas as both happening in Age 780. That's impossible because they used the Super Dragon Balls at the end of the Universe 6 saga and Zuno said they take a year until they can be used again.

So it has to be Age 781.
the gap between Frieza's death in RoF arc/December of Age 779 to Champa arc should be a few months at best, if not weeks later
It has to be 8 months after. The 3 wishes were used one of which was to revive Frieza. Four months later Frieza died again. In the Universe 6 saga they're gathered up to ask Shenron to find the Super Dragon Balls so that has to be at least 8 months after Frieza died.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:30 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Bullza wrote:But when the Dragon Ball's recharge they don't reset the number of wishes do they?
Yeah, don't know how Nejishki got that impression. That would be quite a counter-intuitive interpretation and I'm sure Goku's conversation with Piccolo on the subject in the Buu arc goes completely against it. Getting 6 wishes within a one year period, but spread out over 3 summonings does not make any sense to me. So it's obviously stated in some guidebook somewhere^_^

Not sure Goku's question about SS God counts as a wish. Since Sorbet got all 3 wishes, it logically shouldn't have.
Same with Beerus' wish for Shenlong to eff off.
Wait a minute, I'm not sure I understand the problem here, how does getting 6 wishes in a 1 year period contradict anything?

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:17 am

Bullza wrote:
It can't do. You had their Universe 6 and Survival sagas as both happening in Age 780. That's impossible because they used the Super Dragon Balls at the end of the Universe 6 saga and Zuno said they take a year until they can be used again.

So it has to be Age 781.
Oh, you are right, I forgot about the super dragon balls use. Then I'm afraid the anime can't fit with Bra's original birth date.
Heno heno kappa!

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:19 am

Bullza wrote:But when the Dragon Ball's recharge they don't reset the number of wishes do they? They made one wish in the Universe 6 saga when Beerus told Shenron to scram but then in the Future Trunks filler I think they did mention something about the recharge time being short but they were only able to use the two remaining wishes, one was to heal Pan and the other went unused.

So if they only used one wish in the Battle of Gods saga then shouldn't there have only been two wishes available in the Resurrection F saga instead of three?
Beerus' wish was credited by Shen Long, yeah.
The number of wishes normally doesn't reset to three if all wishes are unused in one session, yes. I referenced Beerus & Gohan's wishes (in separate sessions) in my earlier message. I elaborated (perhaps my simplicity failed?) how over six months passed since Battle of Gods (surpassing the minimum requirement of four months). This is the idea I intended to portray: Shen Long's three wishes were available due to the Dragon Balls exceeding their minimum recharge period (making the three wishes for Resurrection F possible). Ultimately, all wishes (so far) are granted & recharged within a two year, multi-month time table. It looks like I confused the subject. My apologies.

I'll retool my vision — Eligible Wishing Period 1: One wish (Shen Long's 1)
Eligible Wishing Period 2: Three wishes (Shen Long's 3)
Eligible Wishing Period 3: Three wishes (Shen Long's 2, Super Shen Long's 1)
dbgtFO wrote:Yeah, don't know how Nejishki got that impression. That would be quite a counter-intuitive interpretation and I'm sure Goku's conversation with Piccolo on the subject in the Buu arc goes completely against it. Getting 6 wishes within a one year period, but spread out over 3 summonings does not make any sense to me. So it's obviously stated in some guidebook somewhere^_^
My message was cumbersome to process. I wasn't intending to portray six wishes within an "active wishing period". It's probably over the AGE 780 limit depending on interpretation anyway, it's just bare minimum strictness I'm using.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:20 pm

But wouldn't it still be a whole year that passed between Battle of God's and the Frieza's revival even aside from the Shenron charging time due to Pan being born in May which is 9 months after Battle of God's and she was already supposed to be a few months the old at the time.

Pan couldn't have been born before May because then she wouldn't have been 4 years old during the 25th World Tournament.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:32 pm

We now have a confirmation that Universe 6 saga took place in AGE 779. I'd highly recommend you guys to forget about months. Adding them would just cause unnecessary problems. Stick with years.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~