Dragon Ball Super's Timeline

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super's Timeline

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:33 pm

Grimlock wrote:We now have a confirmation that Universe 6 saga took place in AGE 779.
Where from?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found out that Xenoverse 2 confirms that. Glad to see that! Following only information that Toriyama is likely to included in his drafts (read: ignoring anime-only wishes), in tandem with Bra's official birthday, (the veeeery tail end of) AGE 779 (probably right after Golden Freeza is killed) seemed to be the easiest fit for it.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:48 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Grimlock wrote:We now have a confirmation that Universe 6 saga took place in AGE 779.
Where from?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found out that Xenoverse 2 confirms that. Glad to see that! Following only information that Toriyama is likely to included in his drafts (read: ignoring anime-only wishes), in tandem with Bra's official birthday, (the veeeery tail end of) AGE 779 (probably right after Golden Freeza is killed) seemed to be the easiest fit for it.
I don't see how she can possibly end up being born before Age 780.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:58 pm

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that she was born before 780. What I was getting at was:

If Bra isn't born yet, then 780 isn't over. If the Super Dragon Balls are ready to use again, then the tournament against Champa was a year ago. If it's 780, and the tournament was a year ago, then the tournament was in 779.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:03 am

Yeah, but if that is the case and assuming Future Trunks saga took place in early AGE 780, then that means Universe Survival saga occurs in late AGE 780. We should know exactly when Bulma got pregnant, if she was pregnant by the middle/end of Future Trunks saga, or sometime between both sagas. Either way, it's a timeskip of nine months and can cause some harm depending on when they place Future Trunks saga/Bulma's first month of pregnancy.

Hopefully one of the next DLCs of Xenoverse 2 confirms when Future Trunks saga took place.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:30 am

If the Champa arc was in age 779, then does that mean we have to either ignore the use of the Dragon Balls at the beginning of the arc or assume that Bulma and Pan's birth dates that we know are wrong, but the years are right?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:53 am

Are the Dragon Balls used in the manga as well? I can't remember, maybe it was a Toei's thing, and if it is a Toei's thing, we can ignore Shenlong being summoned in the beginning of the saga.

As for her birthdates, yeah. The best option here is to ignore months (they aren't even mentioned in the manga, by the way). Sticking with years solve more problems.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:59 am

Grimlock wrote:Are the Dragon Balls used in the manga as well? I can't remember, maybe it was a Toei's thing, and if it is a Toei's thing, we can ignore Shenlong being summoned in the beginning of the saga.

As for her birthdates, yeah. The best option here is to ignore months (they aren't even mentioned in the manga, by the way). Sticking with years solve more problems.
The Dragon Balls weren't used in the manga, so for it using the guide book birth dates still works, but for the anime I guess we just have to assume that Bulma and Pan were both born earlier in the year than the guide books say.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:39 am

I must have missed all these posts since I last posted but yeah I just saw that Xenoverse 2 has the Universe 6 saga taking place in Age 779.

That date is at odds with the anime but that's really only because of the filler that meant an extra wish was used. In the manga there's nothing stopping it from being in Age 779. So ignoring that wish entirely.

The Universe 6 saga has to be in December Age 779 as well.

The Future Trunks saga was shortly afterward probably January Age 780 unless you think the Frieza, Universe 6, Copy Water and this saga all happened in the same month. It could have though.

That then fits with Whis saying he'd only used the Time Reverse recently and Zuno telling Zamasu the Super Dragon Balls had only been used recently.

And then finally this Universe Survival saga has to be at least a year after the Universe 6 saga so at least December Age 780. So Bulma would have got pregnant a few months after the Future Trunks saga.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:59 pm

So since the DLC for the Future Trunks saga came out for Xenoverse 2 is there any confirmation when that saga took place?

They said the Universe 6 saga was in Age 779. This Universe Survival saga was in Age 780 but what about the saga inbetween?

Going by what I worked out the Resurrection F should have been in December so it'd be a bit much to think that the Resurrection F, Universe 6 and Future Trunks saga's all happened in the same month.

But most likely Toei didn't really work it out very well at all and that probably won't stop them anyway as there was already contradictions with the Universe 6 saga date.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Bullza wrote:Going by what I worked out the Resurrection F should have been in December so it'd be a bit much to think that the Resurrection F, Universe 6 and Future Trunks saga's all happened in the same month.
The 21st Tenkaichi Budokai and Red Ribbon Army arcs happened in the same week. The 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai and Piccolo Daimao arcs happened in the same week. The fight with Freeza is about a month and a half after the fight with Nappa and Vegeta.

A fight with Freeza, a short tournament, and a couple of trips into another timeline could certainly all fit pretty nicely within a month. They could all even be a week apart from one another.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Zephyr wrote:A fight with Freeza, a short tournament, and a couple of trips into another timeline could certainly all fit pretty nicely within a month. They could all even be a week apart from one another.
Yeah I suppose you're right. It's still a bit of a squeeze because the Pilaf Gang and the Grand Priest would have had to gather the Dragon Ball and Super Dragon Balls very shortly after they'd become active again.

I don't recall any time gap being mentioned between the Resurrection F and Universe 6 sagas, there was 3 days preparing for the Tournament, the Copy Water arc was just a couple days after the Tournament and that arc did end with Trunks on the run from Black. The Future Trunks saga then picked up right after after with that.

So if the present and future timelines ran parallel then the Future Trunks saga really could have just been a couple days after the Copy Water arc. I also can't remember how many days passed in the Future Trunks saga but it wasn't many, maybe a couple.

But if the game doesn't say then it could be either.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Where from?

Sorry, I've seen this mentioned as a source a few times, and I wish to clarify it

Why do people take a videogame as a guaranteed source for dating things. It's not confirming anything, it's just the videogame's interpretation of events

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Bullza wrote:So since the DLC for the Future Trunks saga came out for Xenoverse 2 is there any confirmation when that saga took place?

They said the Universe 6 saga was in Age 779. This Universe Survival saga was in Age 780 but what about the saga inbetween?

Going by what I worked out the Resurrection F should have been in December so it'd be a bit much to think that the Resurrection F, Universe 6 and Future Trunks saga's all happened in the same month.

But most likely Toei didn't really work it out very well at all and that probably won't stop them anyway as there was already contradictions with the Universe 6 saga date.
The Trunks story content doesn't indicate a date as far as I've seen, for either the present or Future timelines.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:33 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Bullza wrote:So since the DLC for the Future Trunks saga came out for Xenoverse 2 is there any confirmation when that saga took place?

The Trunks story content doesn't indicate a date as far as I've seen, for either the present or Future timelines.
Trunks is from Age +17, isn't he?

According to XV2, they've decided that the Zamasu battle takes place in Age 796, which means that the present must be Age 779 in XV's canon.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:16 am

shadowmaria wrote:Sorry, I've seen this mentioned as a source a few times, and I wish to clarify it

Why do people take a videogame as a guaranteed source for dating things. It's not confirming anything, it's just the videogame's interpretation of events
The story mission for the DLC dates the events of the tournament at Age 779:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

And, sure, it's just a video game. The point is that it's so far the only work so far to put an actual year to the events of the arc. Given the events of the Universe Survival arc necessitating that they occur a year after the Champa arc (Super DBs need a year to recharge), coupled with supplementary information that dates Bra's birth at 780, this video game also happens to place it in the most logical year. So it's cause for relief that the only material giving explicit word on the matter was made by people who did their homework.

Besides, the Dragon Ball Room/Shueisha decide what gets into the games, so it's not like this is just some random outsider's interpretation.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:16 am

I was just told that Xenoverse 2 dates the future sections of the Future Trunks saga as taking place in Age 796.

When you take 17 years off that it would mean the present sections for the saga were indeed in Age 779.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am

Zephyr wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Sorry, I've seen this mentioned as a source a few times, and I wish to clarify it

The story mission for the DLC dates the events of the tournament at Age 779:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

And, sure, it's just a video game. The point is that it's so far the only work so far to put an actual year to the events of the arc. Given the events of the Universe Survival arc necessitating that they occur a year after the Champa arc (Super DBs need a year to recharge), coupled with supplementary information that dates Bra's birth at 780, this video game also happens to place it in the most logical year. So it's cause for relief that the only material giving explicit word on the matter was made by people who did their homework.

Besides, the Dragon Ball Room/Shueisha decide what gets into the games, so it's not like this is just some random outsider's interpretation.
So nothing's confirmed by Xenoverse 2's timeline placement, people are just accepting it as fact because there's nothing else to base this on, is that right? :wink:

Jokes aside, good to know that that's where the confirmation assumption is coming from. Thanks for clarifying why people swear by Xenoverse 2 :thumbup:
Bullza wrote:I was just told that Xenoverse 2 dates the future sections of the Future Trunks saga as taking place in Age 796.

When you take 17 years off that it would mean the present sections for the saga were indeed in Age 779.
That's what I've mentioned above. So someone's messed up big time :wtf: Then again, Shenron's summoning for Pan's fever was anime only, so that probably bumped things to 780

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:00 am

Bullza wrote:I was just told that Xenoverse 2 dates the future sections of the Future Trunks saga as taking place in Age 796.

Without having actual months and being told if the 17 years is a full 17 years or not it's impossible to tell if it's actually 779 or 780.
It either takes place in late 779 or early 780.
Either way it's really dumb that we have to ignore the uses of the Dragon Balls in the Champa arc and right after the Future Trunks arc. Hopefully Toei doesn't do any more filler uses of the Balls ever again.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:27 am

shadowmaria wrote:That's what I've mentioned above. So someone's messed up big time :wtf: Then again, Shenron's summoning for Pan's fever was anime only, so that probably bumped things to 780
Yeah I didn't see it at first. I think it's Toei that messed it up.

The problem there was that the Dragon Balls were used at Bulma's birthday party in Age 778. They were used one year later to revive Frieza in Age 779.

Yet they were active again by the Universe 6 saga for Shenron to be summoned when they wanted to ask him where the Super Dragon Balls were and Beerus told him to scram so that should have been Age 780 but it wasn't.

I suppose we have to ignore that as just being filler. I'm sure in the Future Trunks saga that Whis told them he couldn't rewind time because he'd only just done it recently too but if it had been over a year since the Resurrection F saga then that's not recent. So they messed up there I think

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:43 am

I think for this case, we should just focus on the manga's timeline because the anime's actions and decisions are very hard to decode. Yes, it's highly likely that Toriyama approves of the decisions done by Super's anime directors for each arc, but the fact that he's clearly supervising Toyotaro's manga while adding and changing stuffby his own shows how he still has more of a proper effect on the manga, more than the anime. The manga feels much more safer to me, so I think we should just stick with the manga's timeline. That's just my suggestion.