Dragon Ball Super's Timeline

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super's Timeline

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:25 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Either way it's really dumb that we have to ignore the uses of the Dragon Balls in the Champa arc and right after the Future Trunks arc. Hopefully Toei doesn't do any more filler uses of the Balls ever again.
Having to ignore Toei-original content in order to paint a completely coherent in-universe picture of Dragon Ball's world, events, and timeline has been par the course for decades.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Zephyr wrote: Having to ignore Toei-original content in order to paint a completely coherent in-universe picture of Dragon Ball's world, events, and timeline has been par the course for decades.
That was back when Toei's show was just an adaptation of the manga.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:29 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Zephyr wrote: Having to ignore Toei-original content in order to paint a completely coherent in-universe picture of Dragon Ball's world, events, and timeline has been par the course for decades.
That was back when Toei's show was just an adaptation of the manga.
Toei's new show being a fleshing out of Toriyama's bullet points rather than an adaptation of Toriyama's manga doesn't render their sloppy execution any less expected. As evidenced by their incredibly sloppy execution thus far.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 pm

On the subject of the Dragon Balls, didn't Shenron grant only 1 or 2 wishes in a couple of those summonings? If that's the case he'd only be inactive for a few months rather than a year. I can only recall him granting all 3 in Ressurection F but it's been a while.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:48 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:On the subject of the Dragon Balls, didn't Shenron grant only 1 or 2 wishes in a couple of those summonings? If that's the case he'd only be inactive for a few months rather than a year. I can only recall him granting all 3 in Ressurection F but it's been a while.
He granted one wish in the Battle of Gods saga but that shouldn't really effect much. The Resurrection F saga still has to be about one year after that.

As all 3 wishes were used the Universe 6 saga should be one year after that but apparently it isn't. Beerus wished for Shenron to scram. Then in the post Future Trunks saga filler they actually mention they still have 2 wishes left of which 1 was used to heal Pan and then the other went unused and Shenron left.

So the filler messed things up. Just something to ignore I suppose.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:54 pm

So this is a long time bump, didn't think it was worth making another thread for it as it's a simple question for the most part.

Watched Episode 1 of Dragon Ball Super just now and both the dub and the sub say that several months have passed by since they erased mankind's memories of Buu.

But then at the same time aren't there other sources that state that these events take place in Age 778 around four years later? I know Xenoverse put it in Age 778.

Now they could have changed it but it wouldn't make any sense. It was within months of this that Pan was born meaning she would be about 8 or 9 years old during EoZ but she was actually 4.

So is this a plot hole? Did the anime have a goof?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Bullza wrote:So is this a plot hole? Did the anime have a goof?
It should say right after the 6 months, that some time passed. Does it not do that in the sub?
I am sure fact checker had something to say about it.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:20 pm

dbgtFO wrote:It should say right after the 6 months, that some time passed. Does it not do that in the sub? I am sure fact checker had something to say about it.
In the dub it says "and the planet has enjoyed several more months of peace".

In the sub that is on the same disc it says "and several more months pass by".

So it's the same thing for both versions that this is only several months after they made the wish to forget Buu. Which in some ways make sense and some ways it doesn't. That it took months and not years for Mr. Satan to get the reward would make sense. That Goten and Trunks haven't aged would make sense and also Marron.

On the other hand didn't Gohan only just start high school in the Buu Saga? Well at this point he's no longer in school and he's married which would seem like years have gone by.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Why do people keep saying Bulma's birthday is August 13th? It's August 18th.

Anyway, Xenoverse places Battle of Gods in Age 778, Golden Freeza Age 779, God of Destruction Champa Age 779 and Future Trunks 779. The animated version of Super messed up. They messed up Kefula so it’s okay. Just know they probably won’t mention the useless wish Shenron made after the Future Trunks Arc in a guidebook

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:42 am

Bullza wrote:So this is a long time bump, didn't think it was worth making another thread for it as it's a simple question for the most part.

Watched Episode 1 of Dragon Ball Super just now and both the dub and the sub say that several months have passed by since they erased mankind's memories of Buu.

But then at the same time aren't there other sources that state that these events take place in Age 778 around four years later? I know Xenoverse put it in Age 778.

Now they could have changed it but it wouldn't make any sense. It was within months of this that Pan was born meaning she would be about 8 or 9 years old during EoZ but she was actually 4.

If Pan would be 8-9 by the End of Z, it'll be alright with the GT timeline of her being only 5 years older (13-14 years old) when it begins/than the last time we saw her. Goku at the age of 15 looked way younger than Pan is at the End of GT. Just some food for thought, if we wanna re-think about the EoZ.

I also believe that Dragon Ball Super begins only a few months after humanity had forgot about Majin Buu, it may explain so many things, like the lack of aging among Goten, Trunks and Marron (and by-proxy the rest of the cast who doesn't seem to have grown old at all, Yamcha's hair may have grown that long within the span of a year since the Majin Buu Saga, know that from personal experience).
It may also explain how the base forms of Goku and Vegeta were still weaker than 100% Final Form Frieza back on Namek, since this was the case at the Majin Buu conflict (according to Babidi's killi reader) and I believe that if it REALLY had been 4 years since the defeat of Kid Buu, their constant training would've taken them above that power level.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:21 am

August Age 778 - Bulma's birthday

November Age 779 - Vegeta starts training with Whis.

May 779 - Pan is born, around mid-May considering she is still 4 on the 7th of May at the end of the manga.
Goku joins Vegeta to train with Whis, as Vegeta has finally caught up.

June Age 779 - Freeza is revived (only 1 wish was used in August so the DBs were fully recharged). Pan is still seen in her cradle so she could have very well been just a few weeks old.

September Age 779 - Freeza's revenge. Some time after (probably a few weeks, enough time for Krillin's hair to regrow a little :lol: ), Champa arrives on Beerus' planet. Shenron grants 1 wish (DBs have been fully recharged in 4 months for some reason). 5 days later, the Champa tournament happens. Some time later, still in Age 779, the Future Trunks arc happens.
Shortly after, the events of the episodes between 68 and 76 happen.

Around September Age 780 - Bra is Born and the Tournament of Power is held (Super DBs recharged).

Of course the anime decided to confuse things because of their useless uses of the Dragon Balls before the U6 tournament, but unless I have missed something this should still fit. Things are much easier to understand in the manga though.
If I am wrong and my calculations do not fit, then the anime has a plot-hole/filler episodes. Anyways, the ToP still happens in Age 780.

EDIT: In episode 29 Shenron clearly states they have three wishes so yeah, it is a plot-hole. Not much different from the one back then in the original manga where the balls were active in 8 months, the time between Pilaf summoning Shenron and the 21st Budokai ending. Kami was also able to make the DBs immediately active after he restored Shenron, so Dende probably pulled a similar trick or upgraded the DBs. This is just headcanon of course because nothing is said in-universe. Maybe the DBs were fully recharged in 4 months because they laid semi-dormant after the Battle of Gods wish, so basically in August they would have fully recharged if three wishes were used back then, but then Goku used it for just one, then they got restored in September after the wishes from Sorbet/Pilaf gang, but they would have been fully recharged as in August it would have been one year since Bulma’s party. This is confusing as fuck lol. DBs have always worked however they wanted them to work, in fact Buu arc established that new 4 months rules out of nowhere. Oh well, I just wished we got an explanation to fix this plothole.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:17 pm

emperior wrote:only 1 wish was used in August so the DBs were fully recharged). Pan is still seen in her cradle so she could have very well been just a few weeks old.
Does it work like that? I thought if they used one of the two wishes, then they'd only have to wait six months to make another wish but they'd only be able to make one.

How I had it was that Frieza was revived in August 779 a whole year after the Dragon Balls were used before. They said that Pan was a few months old so a few months after May would be August too. Which means Vegeta began training in February and the big battle with Frieza happened in December.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Bullza wrote:
emperior wrote:only 1 wish was used in August so the DBs were fully recharged). Pan is still seen in her cradle so she could have very well been just a few weeks old.
Does it work like that? I thought if they used one of the two wishes, then they'd only have to wait six months to make another wish but they'd only be able to make one.

How I had it was that Frieza was revived in August 779 a whole year after the Dragon Balls were used before. They said that Pan was a few months old so a few months after May would be August too. Which means Vegeta began training in February and the big battle with Frieza happened in December.
I do not know if that's how DBs work. It's unknown, but yeah you are probably right.

Was it said that Pan was a few months old? I do not remember it.
Either way, there's just a plothole with the DBs being used before the U6 tournament. All the calculations I did were basically trying to have that fit in the timeline, but it seems like it doesn't without headcanon.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:53 pm

emperior wrote:Was it said that Pan was a few months old? I do not remember it.

Either way, there's just a plothole with the DBs being used before the U6 tournament. All the calculations I did were basically trying to have that fit in the timeline, but it seems like it doesn't without headcanon.
I'm pretty sure they did say that. I recall a scene in the Resurrection F saga when they were at Gohan's house with Pan and it may have been the one where Chi-Chi and Mr. Satan showed up and I'm sure they said she was a few months old.

The wish in the Universe 6 saga doesn't add up at all though.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:
Bullza wrote:So this is a long time bump, didn't think it was worth making another thread for it as it's a simple question for the most part.

If Pan would be 8-9 by the End of Z, it'll be alright with the GT timeline of her being only 5 years older (13-14 years old) when it begins/than the last time we saw her. Goku at the age of 15 looked way younger than Pan is at the End of GT. Just some food for thought, if we wanna re-think about the EoZ.

I also believe that Dragon Ball Super begins only a few months after humanity had forgot about Majin Buu, it may explain so many things, like the lack of aging among Goten, Trunks and Marron (and by-proxy the rest of the cast who doesn't seem to have grown old at all, Yamcha's hair may have grown that long within the span of a year since the Majin Buu Saga, know that from personal experience).
It may also explain how the base forms of Goku and Vegeta were still weaker than 100% Final Form Frieza back on Namek, since this was the case at the Majin Buu conflict (according to Babidi's killi reader) and I believe that if it REALLY had been 4 years since the defeat of Kid Buu, their constant training would've taken them above that power level.
It’s definitely not a few months after. It’s officially been said 4 years. Shueisha places the beginning of Dragon Bal Super the same year as Battle of Gods.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:18 pm

Meshack wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:

It’s definitely not a few months after. It’s officially been said 4 years. Shueisha places the beginning of Dragon Bal Super the same year as Battle of Gods.
The only timeline placement establishment made in Super is "Six months had passed since Kid Buu's defeat and the Earth was erased from any memory of Majin Buu" and then "SOME TIME HAD PASSED" - not "4 years".