I find Goku to be the worst character in this show

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: I find Goku to be the worst character in this show

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Asura wrote: Alright, so then can you explain to me why you think TOEI has been very obviously hammering the "Goku is evil" angle for the past few episodes? d see.
I fell they're not playing the Evil angle by making Goku different though. (Which I think you might be implying, correct me if I'm wrong.) Goku hasn't done anything that's been out of character. Exaggerated character maybe, but not something he would never do. The characters who know Goku don't see him as evil either. Just kind of dumb and reckless. The audience knows this to. Well most do. If they were trying to hammer in the Evil angle for the audience then Goku would be acting a bit different. Like actually different. Like suggesting the death penalty kind of different.

The characters that are being introduced this arc and have never met Goku think he is evil based on the information about him that they know. He is the man who started the competition where the losers die. And Goku showings his typical excited for battle behavior is making them see a man who is thriving on the situation. It's understandable why the new characters would see Goku as someone evil.

Goku isn't acting evil but the characters think he is and that's the Evil angle they are playing up. By making him show the traits that Goku has always shown but from the perspective of those who have never met him prior.

Though I'm not on the writing staff so I obviously can't say this is all 100% accurate but I'm on the whole "Goku is the same he has been (with some shoddy writing) boat". So take it for what you will.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:56 am

Bump. I think this is very relevant with how much screentime and focus he's been receiving in the current arc. Every other character is wallpaper. Powered up but wallpaper none the less. It's Goku time all over again. At least in Z Goku wasn't the focus until he is shoehorned in to save the day and the jobbers.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 am

Abra kadabra wrote: At least in Z Goku wasn't the focus until he is shoehorned in to save the day and the jobbers.
Just gonna quote HeroR on this: [spoiler]
HeroR wrote:The characters in Super can work with Goku and they're treated like equals to him. Goku just being in the room doesn't take away from the character. In Z, the characters were so depended on Goku that they couldn't go an episode without mentioning him in some way even by hoping he will arrived, get better, training to get stronger, our last hope, being like him, ect. Goku was wanked to hell in Z, even when he wasn't in the room and everyone else was secondary to him. In fact, this was a major issue Goku had, which is why he didn't want to do anything in the Buu Saga.
[/spoiler]
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:56 am

The good ol days when people were calling Goku a sociopath.. good times.. gooood times.
Just to clarify and give my 2 cents, Goku popping out for a mint doesnt mean he takes the other character's shining moment, take Roshi as an example, they handled him so well that I forgot everything that Goku did, its all Roshi in my head, I'm sure some 17,18 and Vegeta fans has no problem with Goku popping out for a mint since those characters has had their times to shine, Krillin kinda got his as well but Tien on the other hand...
hell Goku's been helping those characters get the hype they need, he got his ass handed by Dyspo and switched with Hit, he got brutally manhandled by Kale, he got toyed around and treated as a punching bag for the 2 pride troopers that had 17 and 18 help him out with, even 17 saved Goku's ass when yellow powerpuff girl was about to give him those blasts, Goku's just there popping out to hype them up.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:12 am

SansrivaaL wrote:The good ol days when people were calling Goku a sociopath.. good times.. gooood times.
Just to clarify and give my 2 cents, Goku popping out for a mint doesnt mean he takes the other character's shining moment, take Roshi as an example, they handled him so well that I forgot everything that Goku did, its all Roshi in my head, I'm sure some 17,18 and Vegeta fans has no problem with Goku popping out for a mint since those characters has had their times to shine, Krillin kinda got his as well but Tien on the other hand...
hell Goku's been helping those characters get the hype they need, he got his ass handed by Dyspo and switched with Hit, he got brutally manhandled by Kale, he got toyed around and treated as a punching bag for the 2 pride troopers that had 17 and 18 help him out with, even 17 saved Goku's ass when yellow powerpuff girl was about to give him those blasts, Goku's just there popping out to hype them up.
No he didn't. He was doing well against Dypso. He just wasn't that offensive against him. Also, Goku made it clear he really didn't need 17's help against the magical girl. Him getting 'manhandled by Kale' is funny since despite the beating he walked away like nothing happened and the two Pride Troopers fought base form Goku. They didn't even get him to Super Saiyan, which made them looked kind of bad.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:25 am

HeroR wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:The good ol days when people were calling Goku a sociopath.. good times.. gooood times.
No he didn't. He was doing well against Dypso. He just wasn't that offensive against him. Also, Goku made it clear he really didn't need 17's help against the magical girl. Him getting 'manhandled by Kale' is funny since despite the beating he walked away like nothing happened and the two Pride Troopers fought base form Goku. They didn't even get him to Super Saiyan, which made them looked kind of bad.
That wasnt the point, I'm talking about Goku being the hype guy to put the others in a better light, I'm not getting into that powerlevel shit.
-He wasnt doing well against Dyspo at all, thats why he wanted another crack at him because he knows he didnt do good, he got shoved way back to Hit from Dyspo's attack.
-True he didnt need help from 17 after 17 helping him out, not against those blasts that were about to hit him since he figured out how she fights already, if 17 didnt jump in there he woulda took damage no matter how small it may be.
-Nothing is damn funny about SSJBKHH being walked through by a mere out of control young girl (he even got grabbed and couldnt get her grip of him, unless Goku has a thing for girls shutting him up viciously)
-Not at all, it made them look good, Goku was the one at fault there for making himself look like a punching bag.

All these scenarios had Goku look bad visually.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:42 am

SansrivaaL wrote: That wasnt the point, I'm talking about Goku being the hype guy to put the others in a better light, I'm not getting into that powerlevel shit.
-He wasnt doing well against Dyspo at all, thats why he wanted another crack at him because he knows he didnt do good, he got shoved way back to Hit from Dyspo's attack.
-True he didnt need help from 17 after 17 helping him out, not against those blasts that were about to hit him since he figured out how she fights already, if 17 didnt jump in there he woulda took damage no matter how small it may be.
-Nothing is damn funny about SSJBKHH being walked through by a mere out of control young girl (he even got grabbed and couldnt get her grip of him, unless Goku has a thing for girls shutting him up viciously)
-Not at all, it made them look good, Goku was the one at fault there for making himself look like a punching bag.

All these scenarios had Goku look bad visually.
I know what you mean, but I said that Goku wasn't a good hype man, except for maybe Kale, since he was in his base form through most of your examples and it made it seems that they were so beneath him that he didn't bother to go Super Saiyan. He also didn't need to hype Dypso since Hit more or less did that himself.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:47 am

We need to start a #makegokugreatagain trend.

Honestly, I feel that Vegeta is the worst main character in this arc. It started off well with the Bra stuff, but then he became so arrogant and uninteresting for the longest time. Thankfully he finally got a good moment in the Frost episode. I hope that they continue to write him well with the Cabba stuff and redeem him in this arc as a likeable character.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:57 am

Ironically this arc has made me hate Goku. He really isn’t a multidimensional character at all. Especially compared to the cast that surrounds him. To make matters worse all the other new characters are just as flat and lifeless and lack dimension. It was less noticeable previously because the characters surrounding him were interesting but personality wise all the new characters since BoGs have been one trick ponies.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:28 am

Going off from the last few posters, I think all characters in this arc are worse than we've seen them, save for Roshi, Freeza, and arguably 17. Gohan is not fit as a team leader, Tenshinhan was wasted and suffered from the idiot plot episode, Krillin got too much focus for little payoff, 18 is a witch though she had her moments, Buu went to sleep again, and Piccolo is a meat shield and hasn't done much more than to lose arms.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:55 pm

I honestly see Goku as an improvement from what he was before in Super. I actually care about the character now. This saga has made him my favorite character.

oozaru goku

Post by oozaru goku » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:18 pm

For me this arc actually made me HATE goku although I've liked him for like 20years. Really lacks of responsibility, didn't know and didn't want to know any effects from his childish behavior. The excuses that animators made for him just made me thought that it's just because he's the protagonist and hated him more and more

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:14 am

oozaru goku wrote:For me this arc actually made me HATE goku although I've liked him for like 20years. Really lacks of responsibility, didn't know and didn't want to know any effects from his childish behavior. The excuses that animators made for him just made me thought that it's just because he's the protagonist and hated him more and more
The animators don't decided the script. That would be the director and Toriyama. And since Goku indirectly saving one universe is also in the Super manga, it comes from Toriyama. So if you're going to assign blame, at least blame the right people.
Kanassa wrote:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:34 am

That bit in the special where he talks about what he'd do with the Super Dragon Balls was REALLY bad. Like, I assumed the reason nobody's actually talked about bringing the universes back with them was because it goes without saying. But Goku "doesn't know what he'd wish for?" Come on man, unless he's just being coy, that's not good.

That's not entirely on him, they should've talked about it way earlier in the arc, preferably before the tournament started.

oozaru goku

Post by oozaru goku » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:18 am

HeroR wrote:
oozaru goku wrote:For me this arc actually made me HATE goku although I've liked him for like 20years. Really lacks of responsibility, didn't know and didn't want to know any effects from his childish behavior. The excuses that animators made for him just made me thought that it's just because he's the protagonist and hated him more and more
The animators don't decided the script. That would be the director and Toriyama. And since Goku indirectly saving one universe is also in the Super manga, it comes from Toriyama. So if you're going to assign blame, at least blame the right people.
OK then I'm blaming the director of this arc, the worst db director of all times. At least toriyama didn't make goku to be this childish and irresponsible in the manga.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 am

Goku was wanked to hell in Z, even when he wasn't in the room and everyone else was secondary to him. In fact, this was a major issue Goku had, which is why he didn't want to do anything in the Buu Saga.
So instead of just wanking him like Z, we've got to have him in our face 24/7 hogging the epic moments in addition to wanking him. Great. :roll: :problem: :thumbdown: :yawn:

Don't you just love how when asked about what his wish is by Ribrienne, he doesn't say to bring the erased back. It's some selfish wish like meeting another strong guy.

The special was an achievement in animation and nothing more. The story was just the same Goku worship we've seen over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

From a strategic perspective it doesn't even make sense for U7 to fight as individuals anymore. Better off doing the patented "Power up Goku" circle from GT and Battle of Gods (before the ritual kicked in) and have Goku run with it.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:22 am

TBMx wrote:
Goku was wanked to hell in Z, even when he wasn't in the room and everyone else was secondary to him. In fact, this was a major issue Goku had, which is why he didn't want to do anything in the Buu Saga.
So instead of just wanking him like Z, we've got to have him in our face 24/7 hogging the epic moments in addition to wanking him. Great. :roll: :problem: :thumbdown: :yawn:

Don't you just love how when asked about what his wish is by Ribrienne, he doesn't say to bring the erased back. It's some selfish wish like meeting another strong guy.

The special was an achievement in animation and nothing more. The story was just the same Goku worship we've seen over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
Conveniently ignored him saying he'd wish for something for Gohan/Goten first.

Also almost every character who stated what they would wish for, desired something for selfish reasons.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:24 am

Yedis wrote:

Also almost every character who stated their wish, was for something selfish.
That wish isn't any better. Countless lives vs something for his sons. Hmm. Derp.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:26 pm

TBMx wrote:
Yedis wrote:

That wish isn't any better. Countless lives vs something for his sons. Hmm. Derp.
Pfft Goku doesn't know these people. He at least likes his family

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
TBMx wrote:
Yedis wrote:

Pfft Goku doesn't know these people. He at least likes his family
He knows some of them. The U6 fighters in particular.