I find Goku to be the worst character in this show

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Goku is officially the worst character in this show

Post by Beyond » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Goku has always been a short sighted fool, and to me it's only natural that you get pissed at him at times. I've been Jarred by his decisions, but I understand Goku is a warrior, so I never questioned why he'd let gero make the androids or why he spared Vegeta or Piccolo. It's the same with most Z fighters. I considered them all over confident fight junkies. Goku was just dialed up to 12. However, I do take issue when Goku makes things harder for other people with absurd blatancy. When he gave cell a senzu bean, that was a goku that could catch a bat to the teeth. Same thing when he said he could have beaten buu, but choose not to.

Goku acting like this has precedence. You know what should be getting all this attention? The fact that Goku,Beerus, Gohan, Whis, and shin don't care that no matter what happens 11 universe are going to blow up. I expect better from Goku and Gohan than that. It's actually making me mad. I kinda want u7 to lose if this is going to be the case.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Basako wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: He doesn't react NEARLY as seriously a DB, DBZ, or DBGT Goku would have. He's just like, "Lol whoops! Lol, don't scold me, I already heard an earful from Beerus. It's fine that 11 universes will die as long as we live!"
You made up those lines about his thoughts. His reaction is a clear shock.
Well duh. It's called paraphrasing. And maybe somewhat initially, but not nearly what it should have been as I already JUST SAID. He just gives the, "Whoops my bad" reaction I was expecting and dreading. And do realize, "I already heard an earful from Beerus." IS ACTUALLY WHAT HE SAYS THOUGH. Goku is actually a fucking sociopath.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:26 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Basako wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: He doesn't react NEARLY as seriously a DB, DBZ, or DBGT Goku would have. He's just like, "Lol whoops! Lol, don't scold me, I already heard an earful from Beerus. It's fine that 11 universes will die as long as we live!"
You made up those lines about his thoughts. His reaction is a clear shock.
Well duh. It's called paraphrasing. And maybe somewhat initially, but not nearly what it should have been as I already JUST SAID. He just gives the, "Whoops my bad" reaction I was expecting and dreading. And do realize, "I already heard an earful from Beerus." IS ACTUALLY WHAT HE SAYS THOUGH. Goku is actually a fucking sociopath.
That is not the definition of a sociopath in the slightest. I honestly don't like how people throw around this word so casually. There is a very complicated meaning to classifying someone as a sociopath and Goku certainly is not that.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Goku can feel empathy as was shown various times throughout the series, he's certainly not a sociopath.

He's just an asshole.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Doctor. wrote:Goku can feel empathy as was shown various times throughout the series, he's certainly not a sociopath.

He's just an asshole.
Summed it perfectly.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:12 pm

These types of discussions is what makes a character great.

Just because Goku isnt cutting himself because of Zeno's stipulation, doesnt mean he doesnt feel bad. Hell he offered to ask Zeno to change his mind yet everyone told him that'd be even worse. Honestly, the actual mature thing to do would be to just suck it up, take responsibility and at the end of the day just do what must be done so your loved ones survived. Though in a way, saying that kinda reminds me of Goku saving Dende and Mr. Satan as opposed to his own sons.

Be that as it may though, I feel like there may be more to Zeno, than what we're lead to believe, maybe he added that stipulation just to ensure that he gets the absolute most out of this tournament. While there may be lasting effects at the end of all this, a small part of me thinks he's gonna reform the destroyed universes in some way.. Probably merge them into one all encompassing one.

If Goku is constantly bashed for suggesting the tournament, that could take him off his A game.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:23 pm

GTx10 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
GTx10 wrote:Son Goku is being written as a typical 2000's era Shonen hero. Loud, mindless adrenaline, and always happy. Super Sentai has been having a similar problems with some of its Red Rangers lately. People have issues with the Toei Shonen written Son Goku.
Toyo's Goku is more closer to Toriyama's Goku. Remember that Super is aimed at kids and Japan feels that over stimulated heroes is what the kids want. As long as Son Goku is ready to jump into action and transform then Toei will keep selling him. If we were kids we'd all think Son Goku is awesome.
But we're not the target demographic, but rather angry nerds.
So basically we are the ones here at fault for not being able to let go of our version of character and go with what they do to it now....?

Yes. If Son Goku isn't written by Toriyama's own hand then he'll never be the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgWm5TNeBA

But really though, you're ACTUALLY saying it's our fault for wanting the character to be written correctly? That's stupid. That's actually ridiculous.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Goku can feel empathy as was shown various times throughout the series, he's certainly not a sociopath.

He's just an asshole.
Summed it perfectly.
No, but Super's version of Goku is actually a fucking sociopath.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:25 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:

He's just an asshole.
Summed it perfectly.
Super's version of Goku has also shown empathy, and the lack of it is the main trait of a sociopath.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Doctor. wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Summed it perfectly.
Super's version of Goku has also shown empathy, and the lack of it is the main trait of a sociopath.
I disagree there. He only seems to give a damn about himself.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: No, but Super's version of Goku is actually a fucking sociopath.
Yes, that's why he got mad at Black and kicked his ass, with a big-ass hole through his chest may I remind you, after he was told that an alternate version of his family got murdered.
Last edited by Doctor. on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
GTx10 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: So basically we are the ones here at fault for not being able to let go of our version of character and go with what they do to it now....?

Yes. If Son Goku isn't written by Toriyama's own hand then he'll never be the same.

But really though, you're ACTUALLY saying it's our fault for wanting the character to be written correctly? That's stupid. That's actually ridiculous.
Its our fault to expect Toei to write Son Goku in a way other then what appeals to 2017 Young Japanese children.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 pm

It's the consumers fault for asking for a product of similar care and quality as the previous entries?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:23 pm

TheMikado wrote:It's the consumers fault for asking for a product of similar care and quality as the previous entries?
He is saying we are not supposed to be the consumer here but young Japanese boys who like characters like Luffy , so our complaining about it is pointless if we aren't the main goal of theirs..
That's what he is saying, I am not supporting it or opposing
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Super's version of Goku has also shown empathy, and the lack of it is the main trait of a sociopath.
Yes, that's why he got mad at Black and kicked his ass, with a big-ass hole through his chest may I remind you, after he was told that an alternate version of his family got murdered.
Not to mention his first worry after Beerus kicked his ads was protecting the earth, in ROF he said he didn't enjoy fighting Freeza, in the future trunks arc he only let future trunks fight because he insisted, he gave ki to Future trunks first for the spirit bomb and he was the one who insisted on fusing.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:51 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
TheMikado wrote:It's the consumers fault for asking for a product of similar care and quality as the previous entries?
He is saying we are not supposed to be the consumer here but young Japanese boys who like characters like Luffy , so our complaining about it is pointless if we aren't the main goal of theirs..
That's what he is saying, I am not supporting it or opposing
The problem with that is they could make EVERYONE happy if they just used regular ass Goku since saying that kids only like asshole main characters is a damn lie. If that's supposedly what some marketing nutjobs with their flowcharts and shit think, they're dead wrong. There's a reason Dragon Ball became popular to begin with.
GTx10 wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
GTx10 wrote:

Its our fault to expect Toei to write Son Goku in a way other then what appeals to 2017 Young Japanese children.
Ah yes, because you're apparently an expert on what 2017 Japanese boys like. OBVIOUSLY.

GokuBlack

Post by GokuBlack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 am

Oh here we go. I think he's beginning to be intersting by being the instigator of this arc; his carefree nature might affect him if he actually realizes that endangering all 12 universes at risk of destruction wasn't that good of an idea.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Toei won't change Goku's behavior. Its selling to the target audience. Super Sentai's latest Red Ranger Leo Red is a over stimulated, one line screaming, energetic hero. Two years ago Akaninger was the same way.
Toei pulls out the hyper hero every couple of years. If it doesn't work then why does it come back every other year or so? Super era Goku is written like this because it works for someone. That someone probably being Japanese children who like all kids, likes flash and slap stick humor.
The couple of times Goku is written "right" is merely to move along the plot or because Toriyama butted his head in.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Doctor. wrote:Yes, that's why he got mad at Black and kicked his ass, with a big-ass hole through his chest may I remind you, after he was told that an alternate version of his family got murdered.
Yes. Eric Cartman has shown deep concern for others and I don't think anyone would argue he isn't a sociopath.

In the Copy arc, Goku wasted time asking pointless questions and holding back against Copy Vegeta showing he doesn't care about Vegeta dying. He also put a hit out on himself just so he can fight Hit and kept it secret from everyone except Vegeta.

He also doesn't care Bulma is pregnant (even telling Vegeta to ditch her) and implies he was never there for Chi-Chi when she was pregnant (that includes Gohan).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:42 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Yes. Eric Cartman has shown deep concern for others and I don't think anyone would argue he isn't a sociopath.
So we're comparing a comedy to a (pseudo-)drama now?
DBZAOTA482 wrote:In the Copy arc, Goku wasted time asking pointless questions and holding back against Copy Vegeta showing he doesn't care about Vegeta dying. He also put a hit out on himself just so he can fight Hit and kept it secret from everyone except Vegeta.
Goku knows he can revive himself and Vegeta with the dragon balls, death is never an issue to him, it's the potential of not being able to wish back his friends that makes him angry. Sociopathy is characterized mostly by the individual not being able to feel empathy, Goku has demonstrated, both in the manga and in Super, that he's perfectly capable of doing so. Thus, he's not a sociopath; this isn't hard to get.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:He also doesn't care Bulma is pregnant (even telling Vegeta to ditch her) and implies he was never there for Chi-Chi when she was pregnant (that includes Gohan).
We're blaming this on the 40-something-year old manchild who spent his childhood alone in the woods and comes from an alien culture? I don't see what's so surprising about the fact that maybe, just maybe, he doesn't love Chi-Chi, not in a romantic sense at least. He got married to her because she pestered him about it.