Does super hurt or benefit the dragon ball franchise?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Does super hurt or benefit the dragon ball franchise?

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 pm

In 3 terms.

Longevity.
Quality.
Expansion.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does super hurt or benefit the dragon ball franchise?

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:05 am

Absolutely benefits for all three. Dragon Ball Super is the proper successor to Dragon Ball Z, like DBZ was to Dragon Ball.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:19 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:Absolutely benefits for all three. Dragon Ball Super is the proper successor to Dragon Ball Z, like DBZ was to Dragon Ball.
dude i love that picture

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:32 am

Totamo wrote:
ChiefWamsutta wrote:Absolutely benefits for all three. Dragon Ball Super is the proper successor to Dragon Ball Z, like DBZ was to Dragon Ball.
dude i love that picture
Oh, my profile picture, hahaha?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:36 am

Totamo wrote:In 3 terms.

Longevity.
Quality.
Expansion.
1 longevity: I honestly don't know. I think it'll get much more rewatches than GT, but I think Z will remain king. However, It put Dragonball in people's minds again. I mean look at how much people joined Kanzenshuu because of it. So, I think it helped the longevity of the series as a whole.

2. Expansion : it expanded the series a lot with all the universes. A definite benefit.

3. The quality is a benefit to Dragonball because I enjoy Dragonball super a lot. It's not Z level, but it's been improving with each arc so I wouldn't be surprised if it became that by the end.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:38 am

kinisking wrote:
3. The quality is a benefit to Dragonball because I enjoy Dragonball super a lot. It's not Z level, but it's been improving with each arc so I wouldn't be surprised if it became that by the end.
I totally agree with this. I am really loving each subsequent arcs. I have re-watched the three episodes of the Universe Survival Arc multiple times already. I'm pumped for it!

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:42 am

Longevity.
Quality.
Expansion.
It certainly has had a good run that could continue for years, has good storytelling (but extremely inconsistent animation quality), and has expanded the franchise a ton. In all, it's been extremely beneficial, including for sales.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:23 am

Longevity.
Quality.
Expansion.
In terms of longevity and expansion, it's assured that the franchise will never die again. it's bigger than its ever been, both in terms of popularity and content.

Quality on the other hand has been mixed but it's getting better, both in terms of stories and production.

I guess weather or not it hurts the franchise outside of a financial point of view depends on the fans. some fans think a story should end once its manga is over and they bring up good reasons to why they think that. there are other fans who think it's OK to continue something after its original ending and they bring up good reason to why they think that. It's really up to you to decide weather or not it's good for the franchise outside of a financial point of view.

I really don't know at this point. on one hand, manga is known to be the story of one author that has a clear beginning and a clear ending. I think there's something special about having a completed product by one author (book, movie, game, etc.). on the other hand I love these characters and world so I'm happy that it's most likely going to go on forever but unlike the original manga, it has franchise written all over it now. What happens to franchises ? they go on until they're run into the ground which is something I don't want to see happen to DB but at this point that's the only way it'll end.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:05 am

Because the manga exists, it benefits the franchise in all 3 aspects
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Benefit. Especially in terms of expansion; apart from new characters we received a more concrete utilization of relics (especially characters) from the previous sagas. With each new arc, there came new, stronger opponents, lots of which were made allies by the end. The utilization of these alliances seems to have stopped with Vegeta by the end of the Frieza saga. After the Cell saga, nothing was made of the newly acquired 17 and 18 alliances, which would have added their share of weight in battling Majin Buu, which brings about the next issue. GT used Mr. Buu in the most reductionist way possible, only providing an energy boost for Uub; ofcourse there was no decent chance to utilize Mr. Buu beyond that, since Z ended with the Buu arc. Super represents the opportunity to make use of these previously underutilized villains made allies. Mr. Buu was hinted at, but never fully used until now. Bringing 17 and 18 into the fold hints at making the power tournament not just an arc about universal survival, but an arc that reminds us of one of the concepts that helped make this franchise as fascinating to follow as it is.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 pm

It absolutely benefits the franchise in all three areas. What Dragon Ball Super has introduced will definitely have Dragon Ball on the mind of "hardcore" and "casual" fans for several years and has definitely opened the avenues for plenty of expansion in the story. The concept of the other universes just itself has breathed so much possibilities. And while I'm personally fine with the quality of the show, it's quality is certainly up for debate. Some like it because of how each arc has been improving on the other, while other only really watch just because it has "Dragon Ball" in the title.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It absolutely benefits the franchise in all three areas. What Dragon Ball Super has introduced will definitely have Dragon Ball on the mind of "hardcore" and "casual" fans for several years and has definitely opened the avenues for plenty of expansion in the story. The concept of the other universes just itself has breathed so much possibilities. And while I'm personally fine with the quality of the show, it's quality is certainly up for debate. Some like it because of how each arc has been improving on the other, while other only really watch just because it has "Dragon Ball" in the title.
This could be said of the first two arcs, and maybe of the U6 arc, but I think in the Trunks arc Super could be considered a good show in its own right.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:10 pm

I think those are the wrong three metrics for any real kind of discussion.

The two important ones, as far as I'm concerned, are its impact on:

1. The core narrative (viewed as a work of art)
2. The health of the franchise (viewed as a commercial product)

It's obviously doing quite well by all parties in the second category. The jury's still out on the first, though I'm leaning toward "does not benefit." I suspect even if the end of its run is fantastic, I'll always struggle to lay more unequivocal praise on it as a storyline addition, because the gulfs between its concepts and execution in script form and direction are often enormous.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:13 pm

As for lognevitiy and expansion, it benefits.

As for quality.... ehh.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Longevity: I would say it fails in this regard. The BoG RoF and Goku Black arcs are not going to age well in the slightest. The universal tournament arc and some of the filler episodes were nice but all together that's like, what? 20 episodes? Hopefully the universe survival arc will fix this.

Quality: No. Just no. My overall feelings towards super currently are lukewarm and that's just judging it in present state. If I was grading in terms of totality they would be much more negative.

Expansion. Yeah. I'm not sure which I like better between super and gt in this regard, but both absolutely provides some good worldbuilding that the franchise definitely benefits from. GT had the best transformations but Super had the best new characters so I think it will come down to personal preference.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 am

Octorockandroll wrote:Longevity: I would say it fails in this regard. The BoG RoF and Goku Black arcs are not going to age well in the slightest. The universal tournament arc and some of the filler episodes were nice but all together that's like, what? 20 episodes? Hopefully the universe survival arc will fix this.

Quality: No. Just no. My overall feelings towards super currently are lukewarm and that's just judging it in present state. If I was grading in terms of totality they would be much more negative.

Expansion. Yeah. I'm not sure which I like better between super and gt in this regard, but both absolutely provides some good worldbuilding that the franchise definitely benefits from. GT had the best transformations but Super had the best new characters so I think it will come down to personal preference.
I think you got this wrong by longevity. I mean does this allow the franchise to last longer. whether it ages well goes into quality.