Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by LightBing » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:46 pm

There aren't really that many significant differences. Let me try to list them all.
Tournament of Power differences between mediums:
  • Goku and Vegeta's Power
    In the manga they are equals while in the anime Goku's way ahead. This tendency comes from the U6 tournament.
  • Exhibition for Zeno-sama
    We have a battle royal between the Hakaishins in the manga. The anime gave us a confrontation between U9 and U7. Toppo fight is present in both mediums.
  • Differences in power, characterization and focus
    These are the agglomerate of the small differences, like Jiren's personality and the choice to present some material, etc.
That's it, I don't think I missed anything. The anime added a lot mostly cul-de-sac plot points or small character arcs, these don't really count as differences since they didn't affect the plot.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:56 pm

RedHeat wrote:I honestly think Toriyama's outline for the ToP/Pre-ToP must be extremely barren, more so than the rest of the series. There are such huge differences between the manga and anime arcs that it's not even funny.

I wouldn't be surprised if they both ended differently either.
The only huge difference was the exhibition match. Everything else is pretty much the same, with the manga being abridged while the anime adds all the extra details.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am

I prefer the manga because it actually takes time to address things, like how Trunks prevented Buu from being revived.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:35 am

Son Gara wrote:I prefer the manga because it actually takes time to address things, like how Trunks prevented Buu from being revived.
But, that was also something that was covered in the anime.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Son Gara wrote:I prefer the manga because it actually takes time to address things, like how Trunks prevented Buu from being revived.
I don't recall seeing a flashback of East Kaioshin training him and where he fought Dabra. A few throw away lines from the anime isn't really the same thing.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:56 am

Son Gara wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
I don't recall seeing a flashback of East Kaioshin training him and where he fought Dabra. A few throw away lines from the anime isn't really the same thing.
But, it was more than just a few throw away lines.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:51 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Son Gara wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: But, that was also something that was covered in the anime.
Hmm guess I forgot about that, my bad been a while since I've watched the arc. Still, I think the manga did a better job expanding the on the flashback and with all around lore-building in general.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:09 am

Son Gara wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Son Gara wrote: I don't recall seeing a flashback of East Kaioshin training him and where he fought Dabra. A few throw away lines from the anime isn't really the same thing.
Hmm guess I forgot about that, my bad been a while since I've watched the arc. Still, I think the manga did a better job expanding the on the flashback and with all around lore-building in general.
Oh it certainly did, I definitely agree with you on that, however, something I will say that the anime did do better, was expand upon Trunks conflict with Black and establishing Blacks motivations.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:53 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Son Gara wrote:
Oh it certainly did, I definitely agree with you on that, however, something I will say that the anime did do better, was expand upon Trunks conflict with Black and establishing Blacks motivations.
I'll give you that one, but I did like how the manga presented a different version of events with how the fight went down. Makes me wonder how Toyotaro will adapt the ToP into the manga. If its exactly like the anime then it will be a few years till the arc is complete, given the rate it is coming out lol.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 am

Son Gara wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Son Gara wrote:
I'll give you that one, but I did like how the manga presented a different version of events with how the fight went down. Makes me wonder how Toyotaro will adapt the ToP into the manga. If its exactly like the anime then it will be a few years till the arc is complete, given the rate it is coming out lol.
TBH, TOP is the arc I want Toyotaro to deviate the most from the anime, and I think thus far his done a far better job than the anime with how he structured the recruitment arc, if he can continue by making the tournament focused and connected instead of episodic and unstructured like the anime, than I will say that Toyotaro has made the truly definitive version of the arc. Something that I really haven't been able to say about how his handled all the previous arcs, which while almost always being better structured than the anime, either felt a little rushed or less flamboyant with the key moments that the anime were able to nail more memorably(my two examples of this would be Vegeta vs Hit and Vegeta's first showing against Black).

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:56 am

Considering how the anime ToP is. There is 0 chance Toyo can make it worse. For me, i found the manga versions of each Super arc as better.

For example, seeing 17 duking it out with ssj3 Goku felt very impressive. While his fight with blue Goku in the anime, didnt feel all that impressive. The manga made ssj blue to be very impressive and it makes me feel that it is extremely powerful. Anime, lol, makes me laugh.

Anime Goku Black is better, hands down, no contest, but the BS of the arc itself cannot be saved just by one char, so the manga wins in my opinion.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:58 am

I feel the manga succeeds where the anime tends to fuck up and the manga disappoints where the anime succeeds.

Obviously there are exceptions, but that's how I feel about the two separate storylines in general.

gammabeast21

Post by gammabeast21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:00 pm

So my analysis of just the manga panels(since we don't have the translated text yet) is:

1. Jiren is disintersted in fighting Goku just as in the anime
2. Battles are more focused on elimanations than character interactions
3. Only about 20+ fighters seem to be set in stone and the rest are for Toyo and Toei to play around with
4. There is already a focus on U7 having the spotlight
5. Jiren is participating in the battle
6. Frost seems evil/maniacal because reasons :?

Now I'll detail each point I made:

1. Jiren is disinterested in fighting Goku:
Goku approaches Jiren and tries to introduce himself but Jiren doesn't even face Goku when he speaks to him. Goku walks away from Jiren, with Goku feeling not excited but rather taken back by Jiren's disinterest in the prospect of them facing each other. There isn't anything I wanna nitpick here. I just wanted to highlight this scene that changed the tone briefly from excitement for the tournament that was about to unfold to a very somber atmosphere due to Jiren's solitudeness.

2. Battles are more focused on eliminations than Character interactions/3. Only about 20+ fighters seem to be set in stone and the rest are for Toyo and Toei to play around with:
The majortiy of battles in this chapter consisted of a flurry of punches/kicks and then an elimanation. By looking Toyotaro's twitter it would same to assume that he finishes each chapter quite near the release date. SO it would be safe to assume that he has seen the anime adaption of this arc and is trying to do his own spin. If you look at the majority of the eliminations in this chapter it consists of characters that got considerable screen time in the anime. Such as, Nink, Katopesla, Prum and Jimeze. Toyotaro is seemingly trying to make his take on this arc different from the anime and so is getting rid of characters the anime chose to highlight and then highlight his his own choice of fighters in the future. This is just a hunch but I hope it pans out and it isn't just Toyo fodderizes all fighters besides a small select.

4. There is already a focus on U7 having the spotlight
The first 6 elimanations have all been done by U7! Really!? :thumbdown: And people say that Toyotaro is handling the battle royale better? In the anime the first section focused on mainly on other universes fighting each other. We see U3 Narirama attack all fighters on the stage indiscriminately with U6 Hit and U9 Basil stopping him in his tracks. We see Basil get the first elimanation of the tournament and have an entertaining battle with Nappapa in order to try and get his second one. I honestly hope that Toyotaro allows the other warriors to get some shine in the later chapters.

5. Jiren is participating in the battle
Now I don't know if this is better or worse because this gonna put Jiren in the same situation that Vegeta and Goku found themself in. Which is. Why is Jiren
holding back against fodder and not elimanating them. The question is also how long can they have him fight fodder before he bumps into an important character.

6. Frost seems evil/maniacal because reasons :?
If you follow the continuity of the manga you would know that the whole plotpoint of Frost running an undergound Planet trading ring was an anime only thing and as such Frost should still be hero in U6. The only reason he cheated in the manga was because the tournament was a waste of time for where he could be helping his universe. Piccolo does add the line though in U6 arc that because Frost cheated he will descend into darkness. There are too many problems that this actually turned out to be true. 1, He cheated for justice.2, He isn't a space pirate. 3, What does he gain from becoming an evil Good guy( What is Frost now!!!??)

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:34 pm

I will compare them once the manga gets translated I will compare since I will have a better context on Frost and Jiren however there one thing the manga is doing better right now,is that it avoided this BS [spoiler]Oh no were in trouble,were struggling with these losers ,I can't win this oh wait I can transform,k bye your all eleminated

-the saiyans character in 2017
    [/spoiler] Seriously it was irritating and I hope the manga is not episodic or have legit buildup like their doing with Brianne vs #18 where in the Anime it came out of nothing which come my main problem with the show,is that it has no structure.
    Mostly active on discord.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:40 pm

The gr wrote:I will compare them once the manga gets translated I will compare since I will have a better context on Frost and Jiren however there one thing the manga is doing better right now,is that it avoided this BS [spoiler]Oh no were in trouble,were struggling with these losers ,I can't win this oh wait I can transform,k bye your all eleminated

-the saiyans character in 2017
      [/spoiler] Seriously it was irritating and I hope the manga is not episodic or have legit buildup like their doing with Brianne vs #18 where in the Anime it came out of nothing which come my main problem with the show,is that it has no structure.
      #18 and Ribrianne didn't come out of nothing in the anime. And the manga has already provided the indication that Goku could take down all of the Pride Troopers apart from Toppo, Dyspo and Jiren with just SSJ.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: #18 and Ribrianne didn't come out of nothing in the anime. And the manga has already provided the indication that Goku could take down all of the Pride Troopers apart from Toppo, Dyspo and Jiren with just SSJ.
      What build up if anything #17 vs Ribrianne would have been much better because the two have more history compared to #18 vs Ribrianne.
        Goku wasn't at his base form,he jumped straight to SS1,whereas as the anime it has Goku stuck in his base form when he is fighting someone that isn't U11.

Lord Beerus
        Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:19 pm

The gr wrote:
        Lord Beerus wrote: #18 and Ribrianne didn't come out of nothing in the anime. And the manga has already provided the indication that Goku could take down all of the Pride Troopers apart from Toppo, Dyspo and Jiren with just SSJ.
        What build up if anything #17 vs Ribrianne would have been much better because the two have more history compared to #18 vs Ribrianne.
          Goku wasn't at his base form,he jumped straight to SS1,whereas as the anime it has Goku stuck in his base form when he is fighting someone that isn't U11.
          Universe 2 targeted Universe 7 as a whole because of what #17 did in Episode 101. Then in Episode 117, #17 and #18 prevents Ribrianne and Rozie from attacking a fatigued Goku, which leads to #18 and Ribrianne fighting.

And Goku was in his base form when he initially fought six of the Pride Troopers (I mistakenly thought it was seven), and then he turned SSJ and kicked their butts.

The gr
          I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Universe 2 targeted Universe 7 as a whole because of what #17 did in Episode 101. Then in Episode 117, #17 and #18 prevents Ribrianne and Rozie from attacking a fatigued Goku, which leads to #18 and Ribrianne fighting.

And Goku was in his base form when he initially fought six of the Pride Troopers (I mistakenly thought it was seven), and then he turned SSJ and kicked their butts.
          Still #17 and Ribrianne have more connection than #18 and Ribrianne
          But Goku didn't last that long in his base form compared to the Anime,he jumped straight to SS1 when Tupper grabbed him where has the Anime would usually drag this.

Rebel Instinct
          Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:58 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:4. There is already a focus on U7 having the spotlight
          The first 6 elimanations have all been done by U7! Really!? :thumbdown: And people say that Toyotaro is handling the battle royale better? In the anime the first section focused on mainly on other universes fighting each other. We see U3 Narirama attack all fighters on the stage indiscriminately with U6 Hit and U9 Basil stopping him in his tracks. We see Basil get the first elimanation of the tournament and have an entertaining battle with Nappapa in order to try and get his second one. I honestly hope that Toyotaro allows the other warriors to get some shine in the later chapters.
          The battle has only just started, so it's too early to really judge the pace and order of the eliminations just yet. Team Universe 7 has quickly gone on the offensive, but the dynamics could shift in the next chapter with other universes catching up and getting more eliminations. Most of the praise directed at Toyotaro so far is for making the tournament look and feel more like a true battle royale with several fighters from multiple universes all going at it onscreen(panel) at the same time. Whether or not he keeps up the hectic, on-panel, multi-man fights and provides enough focus on other universes remains to be seen. If by next chapter Universe 7 is still getting all the eliminations, then it'll be a problem.
          gammabeast21 wrote:5. Jiren is participating in the battle
          Now I don't know if this is better or worse because this gonna put Jiren in the same situation that Vegeta and Goku found themself in. Which is. Why is Jiren
          holding back against fodder and not elimanating them. The question is also how long can they have him fight fodder before he bumps into an important character.
          It's too early to tell, but the current assumed explanation for why Jiren is holding back and not eliminating the weaker characters is because he is conflicted about having a hand in eliminating other universes. In his introduction in the manga, he openly states that he refuses to doom other universe to erasure just to save his own universe. It still too early to know for sure, but Jiren's half-hearted efforts so far could be due to his reluctance to actively participate in the destruction of other universes, while still wanting to aid his teammates in some way. The theory is sound, but we'll know better as the manga progresses.
          gammabeast21 wrote:6. Frost seems evil/maniacal because reasons :?
          If you follow the continuity of the manga you would know that the whole plotpoint of Frost running an undergound Planet trading ring was an anime only thing and as such Frost should still be hero in U6. The only reason he cheated in the manga was because the tournament was a waste of time for where he could be helping his universe. Piccolo does add the line though in U6 arc that because Frost cheated he will descend into darkness. There are too many problems that this actually turned out to be true. 1, He cheated for justice.2, He isn't a space pirate. 3, What does he gain from becoming an evil Good guy( What is Frost now!!!??)
          I just went back and reread Frost's chapters in the manga to refresh my memory and sure enough, Frost was never referred to as being a hero or a benevolent ruler in any way. The only thing that implies that Frost was good was his cordial attitude while conversing with Goku during their battle. While it is true that the manga eschewed Frost being a space pirate and all around slimy bastard, there was also no mention of him cheating for the sake of justice or otherwise being a hero of any kind.

After being exposed as a cheater, his only stated reason for disliking the tournament was because it had no monetary reward. He was never explicitly made out to be a good guy, but he wasn't made out to be utter scum either - just a cheater and a sore loser. I also held out hope that Frost really was just a good guy with a temper in the manga and wasn't really evil, but according to everything shown and stated during the Universe 6 tournament, Frost turning out to be evil and willing to collude with Frieza wouldn't be particularly out of character since he was never shown to particularly care about justice.
          The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

LightBing
          I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:47 pm

About Jiren the only thing he did was shove people who were on his way. Pretty much what Goku did this chapter except Goku had to put more effort into it. There's no judgement to be had about him being holding back truly or not.
          Let's give it one more chapter to ascertain that.