Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

blain218
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 pm

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby blain218 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:01 am

Bergamo wrote:
blain218 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:I don't get what you don't understand about the concept that they were useful even if they didn't get eliminations. Not only were they useful to the plot, but if it wasn't for Frieza's plan than Gohan would have used up all of his energy fighting U9.


Getting your own teammates eliminated is a dumb idea all around especially in the long run, because you would just be lowering your own chances at winning. I'm glad the anime never did anything that stupid. Keeping every member around as long as much possible increases your teams chances at victory because it means more people to aid you against the heavy weights like Jiren and more people to run the clock and win by having the largest number of lasting members in the end.

Frieza doesn't care about his teammates. He recognized that Krillin, Tien, and Roshi were likely too weak to significantly benefit his team, so he sacrificed him to eliminate 1/7 of the competition and save Gohan's stamina. This is extremely consistent with Frieza's character and the human's limitations.


That's still pragmatically stupid because he would be just lowering his own chances at winning. You are rationalizing a bad decision.

User avatar
Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby Bergamo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:11 am

blain218 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
blain218 wrote:
Getting your own teammates eliminated is a dumb idea all around especially in the long run, because you would just be lowering your own chances at winning. I'm glad the anime never did anything that stupid. Keeping every member around as long as much possible increases your teams chances at victory because it means more people to aid you against the heavy weights like Jiren and more people to run the clock and win by having the largest number of lasting members in the end.

Frieza doesn't care about his teammates. He recognized that Krillin, Tien, and Roshi were likely too weak to significantly benefit his team, so he sacrificed him to eliminate 1/7 of the competition and save Gohan's stamina. This is extremely consistent with Frieza's character and the human's limitations.


That's still pragmatically stupid because he would be just lowering his own chances at winning. You are rationalizing a bad decision.

Tien and Krillin would have lost to fodder, so Frieza put them to good use. Old Kai even says he's thankful that Frieza did this. It's stated in-universe that the plan was beneficial, so this isn't real a rationalization or fan explanation.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

blain218
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 pm

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby blain218 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:19 am

Bergamo wrote:
blain218 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:Frieza doesn't care about his teammates. He recognized that Krillin, Tien, and Roshi were likely too weak to significantly benefit his team, so he sacrificed him to eliminate 1/7 of the competition and save Gohan's stamina. This is extremely consistent with Frieza's character and the human's limitations.


That's still pragmatically stupid because he would be just lowering his own chances at winning. You are rationalizing a bad decision.

Tien and Krillin would have lost to fodder, so Frieza put them to good use. Old Kai even says he's thankful that Frieza did this. It's stated in-universe that the plan was beneficial, so this isn't real a rationalization or fan explanation.


I said its a bad decision from a writing standpoint, not an in-universe one (though its that too when you logically brake it down). Just because the characters in the story co-sign the plan doesn't mean it wasn't stupid.

The other point was that none of the these characters had to be written as fodder in the first place.

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby JazzMazz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:32 am

blain218 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
blain218 wrote:
That's still pragmatically stupid because he would be just lowering his own chances at winning. You are rationalizing a bad decision.

Tien and Krillin would have lost to fodder, so Frieza put them to good use. Old Kai even says he's thankful that Frieza did this. It's stated in-universe that the plan was beneficial, so this isn't real a rationalization or fan explanation.


I said its a bad decision from a writing standpoint, not an in-universe one (though its that too when you logically brake it down). Just because the characters in the story co-sign the plan doesn't mean it wasn't stupid.

The other point was that none of the these characters had to be written as fodder in the first place.

Your last point is true, however, you adversely have every character recieve a prominent amount of panel space that they don't really need or deserve, which was the case for the anime.

This is an 80 character battle royale, if a character isn't going to do anything relevant or interesting, or be involved in any relevant or interesting conflicts, then it makes sense to remove those characters from the story to focus on bigger and more exciting events.

P.S: Freeza's is actually far better in the manga and the pros far outwiegh any cons.

User avatar
TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here
Posts: 3955
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby TheUltimateNinja » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 am

I don't know why people are excited to see these no-names when we all know there's 0% chance they'll do anything relevant.

User avatar
Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby Bergamo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 am

blain218 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
blain218 wrote:
That's still pragmatically stupid because he would be just lowering his own chances at winning. You are rationalizing a bad decision.

Tien and Krillin would have lost to fodder, so Frieza put them to good use. Old Kai even says he's thankful that Frieza did this. It's stated in-universe that the plan was beneficial, so this isn't real a rationalization or fan explanation.


I said its a bad decision from a writing standpoint, not an in-universe one (though its that too when you logically brake it down). Just because the characters in the story co-sign the plan doesn't mean it wasn't stupid.

The other point was that none of the these characters had to be written as fodder in the first place.

Krillin was not here to be important. He was here to represent the humans in universe 7 and to have minor story impact. He has already affected the story, and I predict that Roshi will be the main human in the tournament, so he will likely serve his purpose. How can characters who are astronomically weaker than the all of the relevant characters not be fodder? It would be a bigger betrayal of the narrative if Krillin got 5+ eliminations or helped fight Jiren.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

blain218
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 pm

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby blain218 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:54 am

JazzMazz wrote:
blain218 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:Tien and Krillin would have lost to fodder, so Frieza put them to good use. Old Kai even says he's thankful that Frieza did this. It's stated in-universe that the plan was beneficial, so this isn't real a rationalization or fan explanation.


I said its a bad decision from a writing standpoint, not an in-universe one (though its that too when you logically brake it down). Just because the characters in the story co-sign the plan doesn't mean it wasn't stupid.

The other point was that none of the these characters had to be written as fodder in the first place.

Your last point is true, however, you adversely have every character recieve a prominent amount of panel space that they don't really need or deserve, which was the case for the anime.

This is an 80 character battle royale, if a character isn't going to do anything relevant or interesting, or be involved in any relevant or interesting conflicts, then it makes sense to remove those characters from the story to focus on bigger and more exciting events.

P.S: Freeza's is actually far better in the manga and the pros far outwiegh any cons.

You think Freeza making such a stupid decision in the manga makes him potrayed better than in the anime? What kind of logic is that?

It doesn't take much time or space to establish at least half of the ToP characters as a relevant challenge. Hell, the Dark Tournament arc of Yu Yu Hakusho manage to accomplish exactly that yet people in this thread are acting like thats impossible.

User avatar
Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby Bergamo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:58 am

blain218 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
blain218 wrote:
I said its a bad decision from a writing standpoint, not an in-universe one (though its that too when you logically brake it down). Just because the characters in the story co-sign the plan doesn't mean it wasn't stupid.

The other point was that none of the these characters had to be written as fodder in the first place.

Your last point is true, however, you adversely have every character recieve a prominent amount of panel space that they don't really need or deserve, which was the case for the anime.

This is an 80 character battle royale, if a character isn't going to do anything relevant or interesting, or be involved in any relevant or interesting conflicts, then it makes sense to remove those characters from the story to focus on bigger and more exciting events.

P.S: Freeza's is actually far better in the manga and the pros far outwiegh any cons.

You think Freeza making such a stupid decision in the manga makes him potrayed better than in the anime? What kind of logic is that?

It doesn't take much time or space to establish at least half of the ToP characters as a relevant challenge. Hell, the Dark Tournament arc of Yu Yu Hakusho manage to accomplish exactly that yet people in this thread are acting like thats impossible.

Why are you so convinced that Frieza's decision is bad? Give me 2 good reasons.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby JazzMazz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 am

blain218 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
blain218 wrote:
I said its a bad decision from a writing standpoint, not an in-universe one (though its that too when you logically brake it down). Just because the characters in the story co-sign the plan doesn't mean it wasn't stupid.

The other point was that none of the these characters had to be written as fodder in the first place.

Your last point is true, however, you adversely have every character recieve a prominent amount of panel space that they don't really need or deserve, which was the case for the anime.

This is an 80 character battle royale, if a character isn't going to do anything relevant or interesting, or be involved in any relevant or interesting conflicts, then it makes sense to remove those characters from the story to focus on bigger and more exciting events.

P.S: Freeza's is actually far better in the manga and the pros far outwiegh any cons.

You think Freeza making such a stupid decision in the manga makes him potrayed better than in the anime? What kind of logic is that?

It doesn't take much time or space to establish at least half of the ToP characters as a relevant challenge. Hell, the Dark Tournament arc of Yu Yu Hakusho manage to accomplish exactly that yet people in this thread are acting like thats impossible.

The dark tournament had a completely different layout that gave them the opportunity to flesh out those character, and the only characters that were particularly developed were the major antagonists that our protagonists whom went up against, and I would say that some of which were definitely developed worse than others.

The setting of the TOP doesn't afford those same luxuries by its very nature. Its far too chaotic a setting to allow the characters to sit down and talk about there personal backstories, because if characters don't continuously move, they'll be knocked out by another fighter looking for that kind of opening. Therefore, leaving key development and characterization to only major characters who will have an impact on the tournament is probably the best route to take.

- Two reasons
I'll give you three reasons why Freeza's plan was beneficial in the manga.
-It allowed Freeza to easily dispatch an opponent that could have proven problematic, or troublesome later down the line, using a minimun amount of stamina.
-It elminated a huge number of potentially annoying opponents.
-It saved Freeza and his powerful team mates the trouble of wasting their stamina fighting those potentially annoying opponents early on.

blain218
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 pm

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby blain218 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 am

buutenks wrote:Considering how the anime ToP is. There is 0 chance Toyo can make it worse. For me, i found the manga versions of each Super arc as better.

For example, seeing 17 duking it out with ssj3 Goku felt very impressive. While his fight with blue Goku in the anime, didnt feel all that impressive. The manga made ssj blue to be very impressive and it makes me feel that it is extremely powerful. Anime, lol, makes me laugh.

Anime Goku Black is better, hands down, no contest, but the BS of the arc itself cannot be saved just by one char, so the manga wins in my opinion.


SSB only seems stronger in the manga because they severly nerf all the villains compared to the anime. It doesn't make SSB look good, it makes all the antagonist look like jokes, especially Hit, Black and Merged Zamasu.

17 vs SSJ3 Goku isn't impressive at all when you know that Goku is massively holding back. Whereas in the anime 17 forces Goku to nearly go all out, that is actually impressive.

The manga version of the Goku Black arc is clearly worse than the anime in nearly every way and not just in the portrayal of Black.

namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4334
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby namekiansaiyan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 am

Bergamo wrote:
blain218 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:Tien and Krillin would have lost to fodder, so Frieza put them to good use. Old Kai even says he's thankful that Frieza did this. It's stated in-universe that the plan was beneficial, so this isn't real a rationalization or fan explanation.


I said its a bad decision from a writing standpoint, not an in-universe one (though its that too when you logically brake it down). Just because the characters in the story co-sign the plan doesn't mean it wasn't stupid.

The other point was that none of the these characters had to be written as fodder in the first place.

Krillin was not here to be important. He was here to represent the humans in universe 7 and to have minor story impact. He has already affected the story, and I predict that Roshi will be the main human in the tournament, so he will likely serve his purpose. How can characters who are astronomically weaker than the all of the relevant characters not be fodder? It would be a bigger betrayal of the narrative if Krillin got 5+ eliminations or helped fight Jiren.


These potential 5+ eliminations for Krillin depend on who they are and not the number and anyone in the tournament can be one shotted by Jiren so they are all 'fodder' when you think about it.

blain218
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 pm

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby blain218 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:25 am

Hawk9211 wrote:Overall, the anime version is simply poorly thought out and poorly structured. The craftsmanship of the narrative is absolutely amateurish, and there's no way that the assembly-line nature of its creation, with too many cooks in the kitchen, isn't a large contributing factor. You're free to be bored by it all you want, but the manga is a more clearly-structured story, is more to the point, and is far more clear in the things it builds up to. It might be more "fun", and more "epic", and more "entertaining", and have more "interactions", but none of those are constitutive of, or sufficient substitutes for, a structurally sound narrative.



So you would dismiss everything that makes a story aesthetically engaging just for a more structured narrative? That has extremely bad taste written all over it. Characters are what carry a story. When you devalue the characters you devalue the story. Giving the characters more development and interactions increases the quality of the work in general, which is why the anime version of the Black arc is vastly superior to its manga version for example and modern dramas like Game of Thones and Breaking Bad are so appealing

And whats with all these ridiculous complaints about characters "regressing" in the anime? Characters doing what they normally do isn't "regression", that's just consistent writing. And just because a character doesn't "change" doesn't mean they don't develop.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 19429
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 am

Considering what the endgame is for Freeza in the Tournament Of Power, what he's doing in the manga makes even less sense from a narrative and an in-universe perspective.

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby JazzMazz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:33 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Considering what the endgame is for Freeza in the Tournament Of Power, what he's doing in the manga makes even less sense from a narrative and an in-universe perspective.

How does it make less sense?

If anything, it makes just as much sense, because instead of trying to receive his vengance on the Saiyans, he instead works with them to ensure universe 7's victory. The character arc for the character is still very much there, though I will say, its different from the anime, as instead of giving up on power, he needs to instead give up on his desire for revenge.

kemuri07
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 am

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby kemuri07 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:52 am

blain218 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:Overall, the anime version is simply poorly thought out and poorly structured. The craftsmanship of the narrative is absolutely amateurish, and there's no way that the assembly-line nature of its creation, with too many cooks in the kitchen, isn't a large contributing factor. You're free to be bored by it all you want, but the manga is a more clearly-structured story, is more to the point, and is far more clear in the things it builds up to. It might be more "fun", and more "epic", and more "entertaining", and have more "interactions", but none of those are constitutive of, or sufficient substitutes for, a structurally sound narrative.



So you would dismiss everything that makes a story aesthetically engaging just for a more structured narrative? That has extremely bad taste written all over it. Characters are what carry a story. When you devalue the characters you devalue the story. Giving the characters more development and interactions increases the quality of the work in general, which is why the anime version of the Black arc is vastly superior to its manga version for example and modern dramas like Game of Thones and Breaking Bad are so appealing

And whats with all these ridiculous complaints about characters "regressing" in the anime? Characters doing what they normally do isn't "regression", that's just consistent writing. And just because a character doesn't "change" doesn't mean they don't develop.


Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, two leading examples of some of the best writing that television has to offer.

And we're going to compare them to Dragon Ball Super.


kay.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 19429
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:25 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Considering what the endgame is for Freeza in the Tournament Of Power, what he's doing in the manga makes even less sense from a narrative and an in-universe perspective.

How does it make less sense?

If anything, it makes just as much sense, because instead of trying to receive his vengance on the Saiyans, he instead works with them to ensure universe 7's victory. The character arc for the character is still very much there, though I will say, its different from the anime, as instead of giving up on power, he needs to instead give up on his desire for revenge.

It makes less sense because Freeza has already fucked over his team, and some of the main cast are fully aware of it. If the endgame is that Freeza is brought back to life because of how well he performed in Universe 7, then it's not going to feel earned because he already unnecessarily crippled his teams chances of winning.

User avatar
Exline
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby Exline » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 am

Whatever wrote:That really does not work,getting rid of the 2 weakest characters of the team first does not crease 'tension' in any way.
Same goes if roshi,18 or Piccolo were eliminated first.

The 'no one is safe' does not work unless one of the strongest of the team fall victim to it.Also Krillin and Tien's elimination effects nothing since they did nothing,they were useless and a waste of space.
Also Toyotaro is not avoiding fanservice at all,he just gives fanservice to the characters he likes(i mean lets be real you can expect Vegeta to get better fanservice moments than the anime since he is Toyotaro's pet character).

Can't wait for Vegeta using the Omega Burst Flash on a 1vs3 against the 3 strongest Pride Troopers,eliminating Toppo and Dyspo while he loses to Jiren only because Vegeta was only 1/10 of his power the entire time.


But it's his characters to mess with. Let the writer do what he wants with these characters. I felt tension because they were getting eliminated pretty quickly as if the Universe 7 was really in danger. It was very unexpected imo, thinking at first they'd be able to hold their own like in the anime.

I don't see the manga fan pandering as much as the anime. Sure it may have a small homage in a panel but the anime goes out of their way to recreate moments we've already seen and it's getting annoying. Especially the scene at the end of the show with Goku and Vegeta. Kale, although I like her character and friendship with Caulfila, is the worst offender of shameless fan service.

Favoritism and Fanservice are two different things. And I'll never understand why people keep claiming Vegeta is Toyotaro's pet. Goku was already established as his favorite character, but he's trying to be a smart writer by avoiding him steal the show like in the anime. Even in the First Chapter of the ToP, he shows off Androids 17 and 18 getting eliminations as opposed to Goku and Vegeta bashing other competitors immediately. He even has Frieza be the first one to eliminate a whole universe. Vegeta barely got his fight in the God of Destruction Arc in the manga. And whats wrong with giving Vegeta new moves? You sound as if you;re upset because your characters are not being used the way you want them to be used. I'm not trying to say you're wrong for feeling that way, but don't make such accusations like that because you're angry over other characters "not doing enough."
Lord Beerus wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Considering what the endgame is for Freeza in the Tournament Of Power, what he's doing in the manga makes even less sense from a narrative and an in-universe perspective.

How does it make less sense?

If anything, it makes just as much sense, because instead of trying to receive his vengance on the Saiyans, he instead works with them to ensure universe 7's victory. The character arc for the character is still very much there, though I will say, its different from the anime, as instead of giving up on power, he needs to instead give up on his desire for revenge.


It makes less sense because Freeza has already fucked over his team, and some of the main cast are fully aware of it. If the endgame is that Freeza is brought back to life because of how well he performed in Universe 7, then it's not going to feel earned because he already unnecessarily crippled his teams chances of winning.


I mean he increased his chances of winning by removing two of his teammates (three if you count Frost) in favor of getting rid of 11 other fighters and conserving the rest of his team's stamina for fights in later chapters. It leads to them being more capable of handling stronger opponents in the long run. It's a step in the right direction of fixing the stamina problem that occured in the anime version of the ToP.

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5300
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby Cipher » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 am

Lord Beerus wrote:It makes less sense because Freeza has already fucked over his team, and some of the main cast are fully aware of it. If the endgame is that Freeza is brought back to life because of how well he performed in Universe 7, then it's not going to feel earned because he already unnecessarily crippled his teams chances of winning.

He didn't cripple his team. He's being pragmatic about victory in the hopes of saving his universe and being revived, which is all he wound up really wanting to do in the anime in the end. (The long-teased attempt to overthrow the gods amounted to nothing, and he showed no initiative to become an MVP player, which just makes that a baffling aside; what his sneaking around is consistent with is generally playing to the survival elements.)

There's a bit of a meanstreak to the way he goes about it, but in the latest chapter he trades the team's two weakest two of the team's fighters for the defeat of an entire universe and one of the tournament's other stronger competitors (Frost) at the expense of absolutely no energy from the important players on his team. That he steps in just before Gohan is forced to go all out, and is so terse with Piccolo about it being a do-or-die survival match drives home that we're meant to see this in terms of him keeping his eyes on a team victory, however callous he needs to be. He traded two pawns for a much bigger gain, because he's the only member of his team who's enough of an asshole to envision a strategy in terms of more and less valuable members.

He's not going to not be a dick, but if he shows up at the end and gets rewarded for it, I don't think anything in this version is going to feel incongruous with itself.

User avatar
Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby Hawk9211 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:01 am

blain218 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:Overall, the anime version is simply poorly thought out and poorly structured. The craftsmanship of the narrative is absolutely amateurish, and there's no way that the assembly-line nature of its creation, with too many cooks in the kitchen, isn't a large contributing factor. You're free to be bored by it all you want, but the manga is a more clearly-structured story, is more to the point, and is far more clear in the things it builds up to. It might be more "fun", and more "epic", and more "entertaining", and have more "interactions", but none of those are constitutive of, or sufficient substitutes for, a structurally sound narrative.



So you would dismiss everything that makes a story aesthetically engaging just for a more structured narrative? That has extremely bad taste written all over it. Characters are what carry a story. When you devalue the characters you devalue the story. Giving the characters more development and interactions increases the quality of the work in general, which is why the anime version of the Black arc is vastly superior to its manga version for example and modern dramas like Game of Thones and Breaking Bad are so appealing

And whats with all these ridiculous complaints about characters "regressing" in the anime? Characters doing what they normally do isn't "regression", that's just consistent writing. And just because a character doesn't "change" doesn't mean they don't develop.

This quote is from zephyr,so I will left it for him to answer.
Zephyr wrote:if you want to reply

Otherwise,keeping my answer short:yes.

The number of characters mean nothing if they are so generic that they are background noise like majority of top contestants.I just wanted to get this out of the way for some time.

Now moving to tbe topic:yes.Those characters interactions don't mean jack if they don't add anything.In anime,it seems that each writer is doing it's own thing.Plot points get highlighted but they get dropped halfway through:goku being a villain,freeza overthrowing the gods,toppo's hakai requiring charging etc. come to mind.
Why power levels are important?

The genre and roots of dragon ball

User avatar
Whatever
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Postby Whatever » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 am

Exline wrote:But it's his characters to mess with. Let the writer do what he wants with these characters. I felt tension because they were getting eliminated pretty quickly as if the Universe 7 was really in danger. It was very unexpected imo, thinking at first they'd be able to hold their own like in the anime.

I wonder why you felt that,there is no sense of peril if the weakest of the team are knocked out.
I don't see the manga fan pandering as much as the anime. Sure it may have a small homage in a panel but the anime goes out of their way to recreate moments we've already seen and it's getting annoying. Especially the scene at the end of the show with Goku and Vegeta. Kale, although I like her character and friendship with Caulfila, is the worst offender of shameless fan service.

Yes it does but most of it goes to Vegeta.
favoritism and Fanservice are two different things. And I'll never understand why people keep claiming Vegeta is Toyotaro's pet. Goku was already established as his favorite character, but he's trying to be a smart writer by avoiding him steal the show like in the anime. Even in the First Chapter of the ToP, he shows off Androids 17 and 18 getting eliminations as opposed to Goku and Vegeta bashing other competitors immediately. He even has Frieza be the first one to eliminate a whole universe.

They are different things but they go hand in hand most of the time,also a few examples where he did something different does not prove anything when the majority shows otherwise.
Vegeta barely got his fight in the God of Destruction Arc in the manga.

Barely?Him having a sparring match with Beerus forcing him to get serious that half of a chapter dedicated to it is something 'barely'?
And whats wrong with giving Vegeta new moves? You sound as if you;re upset because your characters are not being used the way you want them to be used. I'm not trying to say you're wrong for feeling that way, but don't make such accusations like that because you're angry over other characters "not doing enough
."
Nothing is wrong with Vegeta getting a new move,the problem is Vegeta getting a new move that is another generic ki blast that obliterates 2 opponents he could not 1vs1 a few seconds ago while battle damaged.
The problem is Toyotaro not using the cast correctly and him showing needless favouritism to Vegeta to the point it hurts the narrative of the story.
So he is not being a smart writer or anything,he is a fan who became a manga author who follows Toriyama's outline while shoving as much fanservice for his favourite character when he can.


Return to “Dragon Ball Super”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Den78in-the-house, emi_b7, GodVegetto91, SSGSS Goku, Super Saiyan Swagger and 13 guests