Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:08 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Anime Fused Zamasu's attacks are generic? What? Point me to another Dragon Ball villain who could condense their energies into a celestial halo that emitted waves of lightning against any attacker, conjure an endless stream of red-colored blades that exploded upon impact, or create sentient life in the form of a massive lightning-infused winged animal.
That entire sequence of events was bad on how overblown it was from that fact. How did the series go from characters just having powerful variations of general ki blasts to all of that? Let alone how he seemed to just make up attacks on the spot with no explanation to anything. What is that halo behind him? What was that energy bird-thing he created? What was that jewel inside it that broke it? Why are his attacks literally just pulled out of thin air? I don't see how that was good writing or a reasonable presentation of his character. Vegitto does not get radically different techniques from fusion. Potara fuse your abilities. Not give you new ones. They also were pretty generic in name "Lightning of Absolution", sure the pretentiousness of that fits his personality but on a meta level, its really just something a fanfic writer would insert, and very JRPG esc. Not very dragonball. The manga might be bland but it kept his abilities within reason and lore.
SupremeKai25 wrote: And all of his techniques had an explanation, they were not random. Blades of Judgement derives from Black's swordsmanship that Fused Zamasu inherited, and the Blades of Judgement closely resembled the Divine Lasso. Holy Wrath resembles the massive orb-shaped ki attack that Black and Zamasu created by combining their separate ki attacks. The Barrier of Light was created when Fused Zamasu combined the two powers that were dissolving within his one body -- immortality and Saiyan strength. And, lastly, the massive winged beast that he summoned derives from the fact that Fused Zamasu, as the fusion of two Gods of Creation, had the ability to create sentient life. Anime Fused Zamasu's techniques were very original and creative, and did not come out of the blue.
Still more farfetched than just simply having a "Final Kamehameha". If it wasn't obvious, its people trying to fit things together trying to justify them.
SupremeKai25 wrote: In fact, it is funny that you are complaining that anime Fused Zamasu had abilities that did not make sense from an in-universe perspective, when manga Fused Zamasu could tear rifts into reality ala Janemba even though no Kai ever showed this capability.
Neither make sense, except at least the portals were something Buu tier characters could do and Shin was no where as strong as Super Buu or Gotenks. The attack is not foreign to the series or the class of the character.
SupremeKai25 wrote:It is therefore not a surprise that every videogame so far chose to include the anime incarnation of Fused Zamasu over its manga counterpart.
They use the anime because thats what Toei claims as their version, not because they just think it's better if thats what you're trying to insinuate. I doubt Toei even knows or cares how bad their direction has been so long as they have something for merchandise. Same reason why their movies are in the games.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:27 pm

I think the manga is easier to experience again compared to the anime. The constant loop frame animation, ATATATATATATATA, and audience commentary in the anime makes it impossible to enjoy upon a second viewing. In the manga you have the occasional Krillin comment and template flurry punch panels, but those are few, and you can skim over those when reading. There's a reason that cuts of the fights from the anime with commentary removed exist and get hundreds of thousands of views. It's because people know it's not worth it to skip useless dialogue every 30 seconds of fighting and wait for the video to reload, so they turn to other fans to make the show tolerable for them.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:38 am

Bergamo wrote:I think the manga is easier to experience again compared to the anime. The constant loop frame animation, ATATATATATATATA, and audience commentary in the anime makes it impossible to enjoy upon a second viewing. In the manga you have the occasional Krillin comment and template flurry punch panels, but those are few, and you can skim over those when reading. There's a reason that cuts of the fights from the anime with commentary removed exist and get hundreds of thousands of views. It's because people know it's not worth it to skip useless dialogue every 30 seconds of fighting and wait for the video to reload, so they turn to other fans to make the show tolerable for them.
I certainly agree that the manga is far more digestible product than the anime and I think that is indeed inherently linked to the different formats. For example, in an anime, having lots of cut aways is a necessity for the production of an episode.

Despite certainly being more digestible, I'm not sure if that necessarily makes it inherently better. I'm of the mind that both the anime and manga of Super are far from being anything good, and I think thats for different and similar reasons that end up hindering both products.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:07 am

I'm glad that there are two different versions of events that don't directly adapt one another. It makes each one fresh experience and if one version isn't satisfying for you, maybe the other one will have something more your speed. Evangelion, FLCL and a couple other series I've followed took this approach and I personally feel like it's a better way to do things than a straight 1:1 adaptation.

What I don't like is how it's caused another divide in the fandom and even more shitflinging. It seems like everything in the franchise causes some kind of schism these days. :?

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:01 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Vegitto does not get radically different techniques from fusion. Potara fuse your abilities. Not give you new ones.
I felt compelled to reply to this point in particular. What about the energy sword that isn't like anything Goku or Vegeta use? Or the finger beams? I don't think a single one of his techniques was a combination of Goku and Vegeta's besides the Final Kamehameha, which didn't appear until Super iirc.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:15 am

theTUN wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Vegitto does not get radically different techniques from fusion. Potara fuse your abilities. Not give you new ones.
I felt compelled to reply to this point in particular. What about the energy sword that isn't like anything Goku or Vegeta use? Or the finger beams? I don't think a single one of his techniques was a combination of Goku and Vegeta's besides the Final Kamehameha, which didn't appear until Super iirc.
Well technically those came out of no where as well, but are they really techniques or are they just ki manipulation? I was referring more to how Vegitto would have referential access to both movesets of the fusion material.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:52 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
theTUN wrote:
Well technically those came out of no where as well, but are they really techniques or are they just ki manipulation? I was referring more to how Vegitto would have referential access to both movesets of the fusion material.
Techniques are ki manipulation, you can say the same about all of Zamasu's moves, which people have. I have no idea what your second sentence is even supposed to mean.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Well with chapter 39 they really killed it with the manga for this arc, what an unbelievable nonsensical piece of garbage, will post more later once I've calmed down lol

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:56 pm

I'm at an utter loss at how anyone could prefer the manga. Its objectively worse in nearly every way.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:00 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
theTUN wrote:
Fusions in DB constantly have abilities neither of their individual partners have. Since when did Goten or Trunks ever use Super Ghost Kamikaze, Galactic Donuts or any of Gotenks' other moves? Neither Goku nor Vegeta has ever used Soul Crusher nor Spirit Shot.

And nearly all techniques in DB are Ki manipulations, so that's a false dichotomy.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:18 pm

zarmack wrote:I'm at an utter loss at how anyone could prefer the manga. Its objectively worse in nearly every way.
I strongly dissagre. The manga has better:
ART (by FAR)
characterization

There, two things, even if you wanted to dispute characterization, the manga has far better art and thats kinda fact. The only thing the anime does objectivly better then the mangais give better treatment to characters aka like spotlight....

Everything else is up for debate

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 pm

zarmack wrote:I'm at an utter loss at how anyone could prefer the manga. Its objectively worse in nearly every way.
You need to learn the meaning of the word, "objectively."
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Yeah I can definitely agree with that. People tend to throw around that word where it doesn't really belong.

You can prefer whichever medium you want. But your preference is still inherently subjective
1345521 wrote:
ART (by FAR)
characterization

There, two things, even if you wanted to dispute characterization, the manga has far better art and thats kinda fact. The only thing the anime does objectivly better then the mangais give better treatment to characters aka like spotlight....

EVERYTHING is up for debate. You can't sit here and pretend that your opinion is somehow more objective than others or even inherently objective at all. That's your opinion, and your preference. Nothing more than that

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Yeah I can definitely agree with that. People tend to throw around that word where it doesn't really belong.

You can prefer whichever medium you want. But your preference is still inherently subjective
1345521 wrote:
ART (by FAR)
characterization

EVERYTHING is up for debate. You can't sit here and pretend that your opinion is somehow more objective than others or even inherently objective at all. That's your opinion, and your preference. Nothing more than that
Which has better art, toyotaros super manga, or the tv show dragon ball super?
If you are going to deflect it by saying it's just "opinion", which art do you think is better?

(I'm going to bet you are going to deflect that question even more by saying "it dosen't matter what I think is better, since it's all subjective. It's more what I like, and in that case I like the art of supers tv show better then super manga")

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:37 pm

1345521 wrote:Which has better art, toyotaros super manga, or the tv show dragon ball super?
If you are going to deflect it by saying it's just "opinion", which art do you think is better?

(I'm going to bet you are going to deflect that question even more by saying "it dosen't matter what I think is better, since it's all subjective. It's more what I like, and in that case I like the art of supers tv show better then super manga")
Yeah predicting what I'm saying is a pretty pointless and hilariously immature practice.

As far as I'm concerned the art is essentially the same in both mediums. I don't see how either one has a discernible edge in that regard.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:46 pm

PFM18 wrote:
1345521 wrote:Which has better art, toyotaros super manga, or the tv show dragon ball super?

Yeah predicting what I'm saying is a pretty pointless and hilariously immature practice.

As far as I'm concerned the art is essentially the same in both mediums. I don't see how either one has a discernible edge in that regard.
Huh, or just go with the "they are both the same" conclcusions. Let me ask you a series of Which one is better, dbs manga or dbs anime in:
a)Power scailing
b)writing
c)Art
d)characterization
e)Pacing
f)creatvity
g)character usage
h) antagonist

Equal, dbs manga, dbs anime are your options.
I'm trying to see what you favor and by how much.

I hypothesize it's going to be 75+ dbs anime, and 20% BOTH and 5% dbs manga (though I doubt if that if you think the art of the manga and anime are tied). But let
s see/
Just put the letter, then the option. Mental notes will be jotted. :angel:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:37 am

1345521 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Huh, or just go with the "they are both the same" conclcusions. Let me ask you a series of Which one is better, dbs manga or dbs anime in:
a)Power scailing
b)writing
c)Art
d)characterization
e)Pacing
f)creatvity
g)character usage
h) antagonist

Equal, dbs manga, dbs anime are your options.
I'm trying to see what you favor and by how much.

I hypothesize it's going to be 75+ dbs anime, and 20% BOTH and 5% dbs manga (though I doubt if that if you think the art of the manga and anime are tied). But let
s see/
Just put the letter, then the option. Mental notes will be jotted. :angel:
I mean the stories are extremely similar so I don't think that there's really THAT much to analyze in the first place. The problem with the manga is it is just an inferior version of the same story. Don't get it misconstrued, it isn't necessarily bad compared to say GT or the Z movies.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:55 pm

1345521 wrote:
ART (by FAR)
characterization

The has good art and captures Toriyama's style a bit better, but...As an artist myself, I can tell you that it isn't really better. While Toyo captures the signature style of the series better, he has a VERY crude understanding of anatomy, if any at all. It's no secret that he sucks at drawing necks, but beyond that he needs to really study proportions and basic anatomy, as I've noticed plenty of his illustrations where his arms were in impossible positions or when he draws incredibly small torsos with ridiculously long legs. These are easy fixes that can bring the best out of his talent, but as of now his art comes off as someone who EXCLUSIVELY draws dragonball and never ventured into the fundamentals. I know, because I used to be that dude.

The manga has a bit more consistency overall than the anime, but not by enough in my opinion to give it the edge that people give it credit for. It should be easy to keep a story consistent if not much at all is happening...

The storytelling is a toss up. The anime does too much at times, while the manga does too little. The best product would take the best parts of each's method of storytelling and world building. Toyo's exposition with Toei's characterization, and a combination of both approaches to the action scenes would be DOPE!

The anime, in my opinion, has the edge if and only due to it being an overall more entertaining product. What I mean by that is, for as "logical" as the manga tries to be, that's never been the reason I personally followed Dragonball all of these years. The hype moments and characters are what made the series a juggernaut, and there's so little of that in the manga that whatever positives it does has, it doesn't grab my attention. I expect to at bare minimum get some moments that I can remember with fondness. I get that with the anime in most if it's arcs...even the filler. I only remember like 3 things from the entire manga that could be considered HYPE: Goku using hakai, Kale's rampage, and Roshi vs Jiren. Sadly, I'm not fond of any of those moments. The anime: Goku vs Beerus nearly destroying the universe, Goku using Ssb Kaioken x10, Gohan vs Watagashi, Goku Black killing Future Bulma, Goku's epic rampage against Black abd Zamasu, Future Trunks transformation into SsRage(can't deny that it was cool when it first happened), Goku Black's first transformation into Rose, Vegeta finally get to beat the tar out of Black, Everything about Merged Zamasu, Father Son Galick Gun, Goku putting so much power into a Kamehameha that his arms go limp, Zamasu becoming one with a timeline, Zeno obliterating said timelime...all of this before ToP.

Other than that, the two versions are more or less equal to me. I lean to the anime for having more standout moments.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 pm

reecehoward wrote:
1345521 wrote:
ART (by FAR)
characterization

The has good art and captures Toriyama's style a bit better, but...As an artist myself, I can tell you that it isn't really better. While Toyo captures the signature style of the series better, he has a VERY crude understanding of anatomy, if any at all. It's no secret that he sucks at drawing necks, but beyond that he needs to really study proportions and basic anatomy, as I've noticed plenty of his illustrations where his arms were in impossible positions or when he draws incredibly small torsos with ridiculously long legs. These are easy fixes that can bring the best out of his talent, but as of now his art comes off as someone who EXCLUSIVELY draws dragonball and never ventured into the fundamentals. I know, because I used to be that dude.

The manga has a bit more consistency overall than the anime, but not by enough in my opinion to give it the edge that people give it credit for. It should be easy to keep a story consistent if not much at all is happening...

The storytelling is a toss up. The anime does too much at times, while the manga does too little. The best product would take the best parts of each's method of storytelling and world building. Toyo's exposition with Toei's characterization, and a combination of both approaches to the action scenes would be DOPE!

The anime, in my opinion, has the edge if and only due to it being an overall more entertaining product. What I mean by that is, for as "logical" as the manga tries to be, that's never been the reason I personally followed Dragonball all of these years. The hype moments and characters are what made the series a juggernaut, and there's so little of that in the manga that whatever positives it does has, it doesn't grab my attention. I expect to at bare minimum get some moments that I can remember with fondness. I get that with the anime in most if it's arcs...even the filler. I only remember like 3 things from the entire manga that could be considered HYPE: Goku using hakai, Kale's rampage, and Roshi vs Jiren. Sadly, I'm not fond of any of those moments. The anime: Goku vs Beerus nearly destroying the universe, Goku using Ssb Kaioken x10, Gohan vs Watagashi, Goku Black killing Future Bulma, Goku's epic rampage against Black abd Zamasu, Future Trunks transformation into SsRage(can't deny that it was cool when it first happened), Goku Black's first transformation into Rose, Vegeta finally get to beat the tar out of Black, Everything about Merged Zamasu, Father Son Galick Gun, Goku putting so much power into a Kamehameha that his arms go limp, Zamasu becoming one with a timeline, Zeno obliterating said timelime...all of this before ToP.

Other than that, the two versions are more or less equal to me. I lean to the anime for having more standout moments.
I've seen your soloquy of why you like the anime over the manga a lot on the youtube community and even here, you don't need to tell me, again. And it's funny you critize the manga art but don't even adress why the anime art is as good. Manga art isn't perfect, but it's far better then the anime's. The character are drawn much more on model in the manga then in the anime, plus toyotaro action scenes in the fight far surpass the art of the anime. DB heroes manga is art that more resembles the anime.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:56 pm

1345521 wrote:
reecehoward wrote:
1345521 wrote: I strongly dissagre. The manga has better:
ART (by FAR)
characterization

I've seen your soloquy of why you like the anime over the manga a lot on the youtube community and even here, you don't need to tell me, again. And it's funny you critize the manga art but don't even adress why the anime art is as good. Manga art isn't perfect, but it's far better then the anime's. The character are drawn much more on model in the manga then in the anime, plus toyotaro action scenes in the fight far surpass the art of the anime. DB heroes manga is art that more resembles the anime.
The anime's art is mostly average. You have a few horrid episodes and a few spectacular episodes sprinkled in that. Overall, it's average. Not too bad, but not too good either. The manga has the style down, but the fundamentals are not there. I'll have to find time to round up some images and highlight the things I'm talking about. Everyone knows the Toyo neck issue though.lol Not saying his art is bad, I prefer it to the anime overall, but there are things that bugs me when it comes to his anatomy. So while I think he captures the style better, he needs some work on his basic anatomy, and as a fellow artist I'm not necessarily blown away by his art when I see those types of "rookie" mistakes considering he's at working at a professional level.