Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:21 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:To be fair, the narrative did set up Goku to be a central focus. With how he was exposed to be the one to suggest the Tournament of Power, how casual he acted towards Zeno and how he goaded the rest of the Hakaishin and Kaioshin into bringing their best fighters of their universe so he can beat them. Hell, there's even a scene where the Hakaishin and Kaioshin other universes that are taking part in the Tournament Of Power hold a secreting meeting and discussed Goku's behavior at the Zen Exhibition matches. But even despite all that, when the tournament started, we were still given plenty of screen time for guys like Krillin, Android 17, Android 18 and we even see Roshi/Tien/Krillin/Gohan all worked together to eliminate some people.
Oddly enough, the focus on Goku doesn't really work for me. I mean, U9 trying and failing to stop him made sense but why the fuck does the show keep giving him worthless shit tier mooks to fight? If you really want to show off the whole "everyone's gonna gun for Goku!" hows about having the people who matter target him like Toppo and Jiren?

Let the worthless shit tiers of U7 fight their multi verse counterparts while Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza fight the people who they CAN'T rofl stomp in under a nanosecond under anything resembling actually good circumstances IE not "Super Saiyan Blue is really wasteful so I'm gonna use it to blast away worthless shit tier mooks who I just finished beating up with regular Super Saiyan!".

Does Goku REALLY need to be tied to Kale or Ribriane? Why can't they be the nemeses of Gohan or Piccolo or some shit?
I can kinda forgive Kale since Caulifla and Goku have good chemistry together and wherever Caulifla goes, so does Kale. But Toppo being a retard and sending five pride Troopers to take care of Goku instead of doing it himself is inexcusable.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:23 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Universe 9 wasn't villainous, aside from Lavender they were mostly just cocky or desperate. And Universe 10 only had two characters you could call villainous for their treatment of Kale, but the rest established nothing villainous outside of maybe taking steroids.

So, yeah, still three.
Thats usually a villain trait tbh.
No it isn't, being cocky isn't a villain trait, it's usually a trait of a character that's about to be taken down.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:32 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:To be fair, the narrative did set up Goku to be a central focus. With how he was exposed to be the one to suggest the Tournament of Power, how casual he acted towards Zeno and how he goaded the rest of the Hakaishin and Kaioshin into bringing their best fighters of their universe so he can beat them. Hell, there's even a scene where the Hakaishin and Kaioshin other universes that are taking part in the Tournament Of Power hold a secreting meeting and discussed Goku's behavior at the Zen Exhibition matches. But even despite all that, when the tournament started, we were still given plenty of screen time for guys like Krillin, Android 17, Android 18 and we even see Roshi/Tien/Krillin/Gohan all worked together to eliminate some people.
Oddly enough, the focus on Goku doesn't really work for me. I mean, U9 trying and failing to stop him made sense but why the fuck does the show keep giving him worthless shit tier mooks to fight? If you really want to show off the whole "everyone's gonna gun for Goku!" hows about having the people who matter target him like Toppo and Jiren?

Let the worthless shit tiers of U7 fight their multi verse counterparts while Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza fight the people who they CAN'T rofl stomp in under a nanosecond under anything resembling actually good circumstances IE not "Super Saiyan Blue is really wasteful so I'm gonna use it to blast away worthless shit tier mooks who I just finished beating up with regular Super Saiyan!".

Does Goku REALLY need to be tied to Kale or Ribriane? Why can't they be the nemeses of Gohan or Piccolo or some shit?
Considering Goku and Caulfila got familair with each-other before the tournament started and then Caulfila called out Goku first when the tournament got underway and Kale goes everywhere Caulifla goes, her Goku and fighting seemed a likely possibility. And Ribrianne is solely focused on Android 17, and prior to that Goku was working together with Android 17 and Android 18 in fighting other opponents. So Goku being associated in some capacity in fighting the Kamikaze Fireballs was at least understandable in that context.

There are still plenty of fighters left in the tournament for guys like Gohan and Piccolo to potentially mow down on their own. Hell, some fighters still haven't been even been revealed or even been seen throwing punch yet.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Considering Goku and Caulfila got familair with each-other before the tournament started and then Caulfila called out Goku first when the tournament got underway and Kale goes everywhere Caulifla goes, her Goku and fighting seemed a likely possibility. And Ribrianne is solely focused on Android 17, and prior to that Goku was working together with Android 17 and Android 18 in fighting other opponents. So Goku being associated in some capacity in fighting the Kamikaze Fireballs was at least understandable in that context.

There are still plenty of fighters left in the tournament for guys like Gohan and Piccolo to potentially mow down on their own. Hell, some fighters still haven't been even been revealed or even been seen throwing punch yet.
I meant Goku shouldn't be there with Ribrianne at all, just have 17 fight around and grab her attention on his own terms. Hell, the very recent episode has Goku zap to where Gohan's fighting because Goku's gotta be in there somehow guys!

The Caulifla thing I can get but did they REALLY need to make him the reason Kale gets pissed off? Why couldn't they make an actual reason for it, at least? Like Caulifla biting off more than she can chew and getting her ass beat by Goku and not "My senpai is showing an interest in something but me!".
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:27 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Considering Goku and Caulfila got familair with each-other before the tournament started and then Caulfila called out Goku first when the tournament got underway and Kale goes everywhere Caulifla goes, her Goku and fighting seemed a likely possibility. And Ribrianne is solely focused on Android 17, and prior to that Goku was working together with Android 17 and Android 18 in fighting other opponents. So Goku being associated in some capacity in fighting the Kamikaze Fireballs was at least understandable in that context.

I meant Goku shouldn't be there with Ribrianne at all, just have 17 fight around and grab her attention on his own terms. Hell, the very recent episode has Goku zap to where Gohan's fighting because Goku's gotta be in there somehow guys!

The Caulifla thing I can get but did they REALLY need to make him the reason Kale gets pissed off? Why couldn't they make an actual reason for it, at least? Like Caulifla biting off more than she can chew and getting her ass beat by Goku and not "My senpai is showing an interest in something but me!".
Well, the Kamikaze Fireballs initially called the attention of the participants of the Tournament of Power and then Android 17 interrupted their transformation sequence and it lead to Goku getting involved considering a) Android 17 is his teammate and b) Goku wanted the Kamikaze Fireballs to finish their transformation sequence so that they could be stronger and be more of challenge as Goku loves a challenge.

Well...Kale does suffer from an immense inferiority complex and Goku pretty much told her to piss off when he was trying to fight Caulifla. And Caulifla acted indifferent to whole scenario as she was too caught up in fighting Goku.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:

Well, the Kamikaze Fireballs initially called the attention of the participants of the Tournament of Power and then Android 17 interrupted their transformation sequence and it lead to Goku getting involved considering a) Android 17 is his teammate and b) Goku wanted the Kamikaze Fireballs to finish their transformation sequence so that they could be stronger and be more of challenge as Goku loves a challenge.

Well...Kale does suffer from an immense inferiority complex and Goku pretty much told her to piss off when he was trying to fight Caulifla. And Caulifla acted indifferent to whole scenario as she was too caught up in fighting Goku.
As you said, 17 gets their attention just fine on his own, so why doesn't Goku just get attacked by Toppo or something and go do his own thing off screen, you know, like EVERYONE else does and let 17 do his thing without bankable protagonist around for his mandatory MCU contract episode cameo.

Kale's inferiority complex is mind numbingly stupid when senpai showing interest in someone besides her makes her blood curlingly angry but when Caulifla is in actual danger, she masters TWO Super Saiyan forms, one of which is based around her being a psychotic lunatic.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:40 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: As you said, 17 gets their attention just fine on his own, so why doesn't Goku just get attacked by Toppo or something and go do his own thing off screen, you know, like EVERYONE else does and let 17 do his thing without bankable protagonist around for his mandatory MCU contract episode cameo.

Kale's inferiority complex is mind numbingly stupid when senpai showing interest in someone besides her makes her blood curlingly angry but when Caulifla is in actual danger, she masters TWO Super Saiyan forms, one of which is based around her being a psychotic lunatic.
call me crazy,kale doesn't feel like a AT&TY character I highly doubt those would come up with jealousy and inferiority complex as a motivation like rage trunks so in conclusion kale will not have her hulking form in the manga, the only thing she will have is that skinny form,she will trigger that transformation with caulifla being eliminated or dying by a smug bastard
    Inferiority complex is a good narrative,suck they didn't give me a reason to care for their relationship, is kale really a psychopath
    Mostly active on discord.

RedHeat
    Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:04 pm

The gr wrote:
    ekrolo2 wrote: As you said, 17 gets their attention just fine on his own, so why doesn't Goku just get attacked by Toppo or something and go do his own thing off screen, you know, like EVERYONE else does and let 17 do his thing without bankable protagonist around for his mandatory MCU contract episode cameo.

call me crazy,kale doesn't feel like a AT&TY character I highly doubt those would come up with jealousy and inferiority complex as a motivation like rage trunks so in conclusion kale will not have her hulking form in the manga, the only thing she will have is that skinny form,she will trigger that transformation with caulifla being eliminated or dying by a smug bastard
      Inferiority complex is a good narrative,suck they didn't give me a reason to care for their relationship, is kale really a psychopath
      10 bucks says her Hulk form makes it in, Toyo is a Broly fan afterall.

Besides, her character design would be moot if, you know, she doesn't turn into Broly.
      Feels over Reals.

FortuneSSJ
      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:40 pm

-Super Saiyan God return-

I've been complaining about the use of SSG in the manga since chapter 13. Now that the anime did the same thing, I will have to take it back.

Toyotaro's version flows much better in this regard unlike the anime where they brought back the form 4 arcs later. It's too long of absence.

Toei just took the only creative thing in the manga and put it in the anime, which is the switch on/off between SSG and SSB. I loved that in the manga and it's cool to see it in the anime.
      I hope we get more of that. However I still think SSB+Kaioken is too much of badassery to get rid of, so what I would do is keep it in Champa arc and bring back SSG in FT Trunks arc.

As for Vegeta, I don't care if he has SSG or not. He doesn't need to have all the forms that Goku has. But if he gets it in the anime that will contradict with his decision of not wanting to go that route in the end of BOG arc. It could work as character development but some explanation would be necessary. While in the manga Toyotaro didn't explain how Vegeta got it, I can assume he just did the ritual off-screen which is also what I assumed before Super when we got ROF Movie.

Anyway, Toei and Toyotaro help each other and work together to come up with a better product would be much better than each one go different ways and do their own crazy stuff.
      A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LightBing
      I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Here's my detail analysis of the manga in comparison to the anime. I'll go by arcs in more than one post.

BoG Arc

Anime:
      This wasn't a good arc. All it did was exacerbate the problems the anime had from it's unplanned existence.
      The rushed production resulted in infamous episodes like number 5, shoving a film in 13 episodes resulted in abysmal pacing and there wasn't anything new worthwhile added.
      There really isn't there much more to say.

One of the episodes from the Beerus vs SSJ God Goku has a great fight in it, that's something good, I guess...

Manga:
      At this point the manga wasn't anything more than a promotional tool, it shows. It has the opposite problem of the anime, instead of extending the BoG storyline it shortens it to it's barest plot points.
      It's simply a summary, neither good or bad.

Kudos to Toyotarõ for at least writing without specifics, allowing stuff like SSJG to exist further ahead without contradictions.

Who won?
      Neither. Watch the film instead, it's by far the best version of this part of the story.

There weren't enough differences to warrant much discussion. The next arc should be more interesting.

perucho1990
      I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Doctor. wrote: I can kinda forgive Kale since Caulifla and Goku have good chemistry together and wherever Caulifla goes, so does Kale. But Toppo being a retard and sending five pride Troopers to take care of Goku instead of doing it himself is inexcusable.
      Tbh they couldve take down Goku with great teamwork, just have Coccote trap Goku in her Coccote Zone, then kick him out of the ring, besides Kettel lighting bolts attacks > Rosie hellzone grenade ripoff attack.

LightBing
      I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Continuing with my analysis, onto to the U6 Tournament Arc. I'll do something different and divide my arguments by the battles/phases.
      I'll also give arbitrary points to show my dislike or the opposite in regards to each section.
      Please forgive me if memory fails me, the anime arc isn't exactly fresh in my mind.

U6 Tournament Arc

Arc's Prologue
      Anime: 1 point
      I don't remember very well the start of the arc in the anime. From what I do remember, it was fun and it did a decent job to build the hype.

Manga: 1 point
      As good as the anime, what stands out is the sweet interplanetary battle between Champa and Beerus.

Goku vs Botamo
      Anime: 0 points
      This was abysmal. Poor in all aspects.

A relaxed fight to start things of, with some light comedy. It was fine.

Goku vs Frost
      Nothing too ground-breaking going on. What the anime did better than the manga was giving more impact to the Frost is a douchbag reveal. The little backstory easily puts this fight ahead of the manga iteration.

Manga: 0 points
      The fighting itself wasn't bad, not great either. What brings down this fight is how overly long it become for basically no pay-off and with excessive use of references.
      This section was like chewing on old gum.

Piccolo vs Frost
      I remember being a weird inconsistency, Piccolo supposedly could only defeat Frost with the Makankosappo yet he continuously had feats that were contradictory to that. Anyway still an entertaining fight and some focus for our humanoid slug, it was pretty good.

Far too short. The execution might have been worth something if Toyotarõ had extended the fight beyond a 2 pages "let's get this over with". The redundantly long previous fight makes the choice to speed up this battle even more damaging.

Vegeta vs Frost
      Not much to say very similar to the manga, with more talk involved.

Perfectly reasonable. Vegeta being his usual self.

Vegeta vs Magetta
      Anime: 0 points
      Toyotarõ is know for his callbacks, this episode from Toei was basically a Vegeta best of with some moments being basically copies from their originals. What a uninspired fight!

A gag fight. It's been a long time since we had one, it worked great with Magetta's silly twist.

Vegeta vs Cabba
      It hit the notes it needed to.

Manga: 1.5 points
      Like the anime it got the job done. I would like to highlight the callback to Vegeta killing Nappa, it perfectly encapsulated the growth of the character in relation to his race and his role. The best reference Toyotarõ ever did, great stuff.

Vegeta vs Hit
      The anime gave it a bit more focus than the manga where it was a straight up beat down and nothing more.

A bit more short than the anime, it had the same effect.

Goku vs Hit
      Anime: 1.5 points
      This fight was the moment I stopped caring about logic in regards to the anime, it's full of holes. With this said, this fight was pretty hype. That's how a final fight should be. It's enough to give the edge to the anime, although it's pretty much balls to the holes, who cares about established rules...

The 10% tidbit while it sows it's reward in the following arc, here it comes off as weird and a bit off-putting. The fight was competent, it didn't leave me impressed. The strategy was interesting, unfortunately it didn't carry much excitement.
      The return of SSJG was a positive surprise.

Conclusion
      Pretty cool finish. I loved the Dragon Sequence.

Incredibly rushed, clearly Toyotarõ didn't plan his pages correctly. Like that it can't possibly compete with the anime.

Total
      Anime: 8.5 points

Manga: 7.5 points

The anime edges out in the end. Both mediums share blunders here and there, besides that the big difference is at the end. The anime is capable of delivering a decent ending, the manga falls short.

In my opinion this also marks the moment each one made his choice, the anime commits to showmanship above everything else. The manga commits to it's progressive, sustained and logical narrative.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:21 am

Nice comparison LigthBing
        Ok lets talk this month chapter in comparison to the anime,there is one thing that i liked about the manga,is how it handle the deity,from kaioshin to god of destruction,the manga knows how to used them and i was impressed how they were introduced here in comparison to episode 78

LightBing
        I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:37 pm

I totally forgot I was doing this. :? I have to finish with the Future Trunks Arc comparison.

About the last chapter, the only difference of note is the focus on developing the Gods in manga. The anime choose to give focus to two of the ignored characters from Super, Mr.Boo and Gohan. Toyotarõ approach is much more bold and difficult.

The anime also developed Universe 9, unfortunately it didn't have any pay-off.

There's still not enough to take any conclusions. Probably two more chapters until we can compare the exhibition phase of both mediums.

LightBing
        I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 pm

This one took me a while. Time for the Zamasu Arc! Differently from my previous analysis I'll talk about various differences including characters, fight's, etc...
        This will be long.

Zamasu Arc
        Goku Black
        This one was one of the most debated differences between both mediums. The anime did wonderfully by incorporating Saiyan(Goku) traits into Goku Black, it made him charismatic and compelling.
        The manga choose to make him just Zamasu, who while well characterized is still a immature and hypocrite God with a serious of complexes. The character isn't cool but it works, it reminds me of Piccolo Daimao. Just working isn't enough.

Then there's the zenkai situation. The manga had an explanation(zenkais) for why Black got stronger so fast and the reason he let Trunks escape constantly.
        Anime Black was protected by plot armour, most noticeable when getting a beating from Vegeta and was portrayed as incompetent by letting Trunks escape a billion times.

Conclusion: The anime did it better, the writing shortcomings aren't enough to put anime Black below manga Black.

Future Trunks
        The other heated discussion. Particularly annoying this one in regards to the criticism of the manga. Which was Trunks being a secondary character, which is a shallow complaint. It's not up for discussion that Trunks was more relevant in the anime. He was the most relevant character in the anime, I tracked it: Anime Influence Rankings

That relevance needs to have quality and not brainlessly shove the character into the spotlight for the sake of it. Where's the reward of having Trunks punched around alongside Goku and Vegeta? That's the main difference, during the main fight in the manga Trunks was in the sidelines because that's how it should be logically. Toyotarõ was still able to make him important during the main fight due to his healing abilities, before the main act he was given wide focus. He even got his mini-Boo Arc that provided dividends later.
        Unless you give a disproportional weight to fights(even then Trunks had as many fight's as Goku), Trunks was extremely important in the manga.

The anime has to be complimented for trying the emotional angle with the character, it worked in isolation, sometimes. Overall the experience wasn't productive. Besides Future Bulma death it made no lasting impression and unfortunately the ending(present in both versions) didn't allow catharsis.

Conclusion: Contrary to what they were able to do with Black the anime failed with Trunks. Good intentions with piss-poor writing.

Mystery
        It was extremely fun discussing and theorizing about Black. The anime embraced this, it's part of the reason why the first part of it is the best. The manga didn't and while once again people complained, it was the correct choice. It's ridiculous to embrace a mystery when everyone already knows the answer.

Conclusion: A positive for the anime that the manga didn't have a chance to capitalize on.

Supporting Characters
        The anime had Bulma ever present gave more focus to Mai and brought unique characters with Future Yajirobe and the survivors. The manga choose to bring forth Kaioshin and Gowasu a bit more into the spotlight.

Conclusion:The supporting cast is much stronger and varied in the anime, only Kaioshin in the manga can compete.

Emotion vs Logic
        The big one. Some of the points I discussed previously already include this point. The anime leaned on emotion, in some(most) cases throwing logic completely out the window to get a reaction from the viewer or to make a joke.
        Examples include: Trunks learning the Mafuba in 5 minutes and Trunks Deus ex machina at the end.

What this creates is the loss of immersion. It's clear the writers don't subscribe to any rules, which means anything that happens in-universe won't matter. You can't have tension, you can't be invested in any event, it's simply a clown fiesta. There's absolutely no excuse for this. The anime is entertaining but you can't care and if don't care about the show that's a huge problem.

The manga doesn't have this, it follows rules. This hurts it's excitement factor in part, you won't have Goku magically turn back into a Oozaru that somehow is far stronger than everything and kill the enemy using a special attack know only by a character 1000 years ago, character which Goku never even heard about.
        In the manga I can appreciate growth like the quest to master SSJB, it's the difference between climbing a ladder step by step and shoving a rocket up your ass.

Conclusion: The definite aspect that divides both mediums. The anime went too far, this isn't about the manga being exceptional, it's heavily on the shoulders of the anime and the unfortunately direction they choose; crass and personally alienating.

Final Thoughts:
        The manga was better than the anime. There's a few interesting roads taken by the anime; really some pretty cool ideas but please, plausibility needs to exist! The anime forced me to watch it with an empty mind so that I wasn't effect by the ridiculous plot points they brought upon.

The manga, which started with the big handicap of being spoiled, was able to give me a story for me to care about. While providing it's own personality and some shining spots here and there. It's far from perfect and I'm hopeful it will continue on improving like it has been doing.

perucho1990
        I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:15 am

The only things the manga did better than the anime are the treatment of Shin and the Pilaf Gang.

Just treat any serious DBS arc as serious if you see any Gintama or OPM serious arc, i reminder this isnt Z and Z will never ever come back.

Its not their Toeis fault Toriyamas outline are barebones, in 2017, the likes of Tite Kubo would be an improvement over current Toriyama.

Dragon Wukong
        Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 am

I agree for the most part. Honestly Toyotaro really caught his stride in the Black arc. Chapters were finally reaching the amount of pages we could expect from Toriyama in a month's worth of material, and the manga was really starting to diverge from the anime and become something that could stand on its own.

I'm surprised you didn't compare specific things though, such as the Vegito Blue fight, Merged Zamasu as a whole, Hakai vs Super Saiyan Rage Spirit Bomb Sword, and Infinite Zamasu's vs the Infinite Zamasu.

Honestly, I understand people like SSRage, but to me I just see a form that makes me wonder, "then why did we even need a ritual for SSGod or need to reach SSBlue if being really angry as a Super Saiyan 2 can bring you to those levels?" Trunks fending off Black and Zamasu, who were above and near-even with SSB earlier, and then escaping because tear gas just greatly went beyond suspension of disbelief, and made the forms the last couple arcs gave us irrelevant in my opinion. The lack of explanations did not help either, both in regards to Rage and Rose. It was Base Kid Goku beating a Majin Buu-level foe in one-hit stupid. (Sorry GT.)

The manga corrected most of these mistakes, and while Trunks' SS2 being trained to be SS3 in power is surprising, it's not a complete jump into God-tier universe-shaking/destroying forms, and has a basis in being a thing in all adaptations thanks to Vegeta achieving such power in that form. Rose also gets its explanation as SSGSS in the manga. While that seems obvious, it still stops people from shouting out "nice headcanon" when presented with that statement.

Also, SS2 Trunks actually has a different hairstyle from SS Trunks in the manga, which is a huge plus for me.

Lastly, I wasn't a fan of either Green&Purple Zamasu or Giygas Zamasu. Not at all. The Vegito fight was nice, but seeing Zamasu actually have the ripped body of Goku was what I needed to see in that villain. Also, the portal beatdown of Goku was just awesome. Splitting into copies of himself also made more sense. I hope we see the shirtless Zamasu that was tossing out portals left and right and beating down everyone in a game some day.

The gr
        I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Is a good thing this saga format is diferent so the manga can suprise the audience with how diferent it is because lets face it is not that interesting comparing U6 anime to manga so i'm looking foward for those comparison and please to everyone in this thread do it with less salt

perucho1990
        I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:02 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote:I agree for the most part. Honestly Toyotaro really caught his stride in the Black arc. Chapters were finally reaching the amount of pages we could expect from Toriyama in a month's worth of material, and the manga was really starting to diverge from the anime and become something that could stand on its own.

I'm surprised you didn't compare specific things though, such as the Vegito Blue fight, Merged Zamasu as a whole, Hakai vs Super Saiyan Rage Spirit Bomb Sword, and Infinite Zamasu's vs the Infinite Zamasu.

Honestly, I understand people like SSRage, but to me I just see a form that makes me wonder, "then why did we even need a ritual for SSGod or need to reach SSBlue if being really angry as a Super Saiyan 2 can bring you to those levels?" Trunks fending off Black and Zamasu, who were above and near-even with SSB earlier, and then escaping because tear gas just greatly went beyond suspension of disbelief, and made the forms the last couple arcs gave us irrelevant in my opinion. The lack of explanations did not help either, both in regards to Rage and Rose. It was Base Kid Goku beating a Majin Buu-level foe in one-hit stupid. (Sorry GT.)

The manga corrected most of these mistakes, and while Trunks' SS2 being trained to be SS3 in power is surprising, it's not a complete jump into God-tier universe-shaking/destroying forms, and has a basis in being a thing in all adaptations thanks to Vegeta achieving such power in that form. Rose also gets its explanation as SSGSS in the manga. While that seems obvious, it still stops people from shouting out "nice headcanon" when presented with that statement.

Also, SS2 Trunks actually has a different hairstyle from SS Trunks in the manga, which is a huge plus for me.

Lastly, I wasn't a fan of either Green&Purple Zamasu or Giygas Zamasu. Not at all. The Vegito fight was nice, but seeing Zamasu actually have the ripped body of Goku was what I needed to see in that villain. Also, the portal beatdown of Goku was just awesome. Splitting into copies of himself also made more sense. I hope we see the shirtless Zamasu that was tossing out portals left and right and beating down everyone in a game some day.
        I agree the tear gas scene was really bad, probably the worst scene in DBS.

Trunks in the manga somehow survived attacks from a Blue tier guy in Black, who said he was going to kill him as soon as possible, bad PIS.

Rose got an explanation in the anime, it was due to Black mastering Gokus power.

Dragon Wukong
        Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:42 am

perucho1990 wrote:
        Dragon Wukong wrote:I agree for the most part. Honestly Toyotaro really caught his stride in the Black arc. Chapters were finally reaching the amount of pages we could expect from Toriyama in a month's worth of material, and the manga was really starting to diverge from the anime and become something that could stand on its own.

I agree the tear gas scene was really bad, probably the worst scene in DBS.

Trunks in the manga somehow survived attacks from a Blue tier guy in Black, who said he was going to kill him as soon as possible, bad PIS.

Rose got an explanation in the anime, it was due to Black mastering Gokus power.
        By explanation, I mean as to what exactly the form is. We know how Black got Rose in the anime, but not what Rose is in the anime. It's like SSRage. We know Trunks got it by being really angry, but we have no clue what it is beyond theories. The only difference is one gets an explanation in the manga and the other doesn't.

As for the Trunks thing, Black was pretty much toying with/torturing him. But when Black was finally going to finish it off with a giant energy ball, Gowasu came and teleported them away. I wouldn't argue that's bad power scaling, but I'll admit SS Black vs SSB Vegeta right before Black turns Rose is.