Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:49 am

Find it very interesting that Goku vs Toppo is narratively similar to Hit vs Goku only the latter is horrible.
Mostly active on discord.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:59 am

The gr wrote:Find it very interesting that Goku vs Toppo is narratively similar to Hit vs Goku only the latter is horrible.
What do you mean?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:06 am

HeroR wrote: What do you mean?
Both fights Goku cicle through his transformation, expect that Goku vs Toppo did a better job at this since Goku wasn't overpowering his opponent unlike Hit vs Goku where Goku was literally doing that.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:08 am

JazzMazz wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
The gr wrote:I will do the comparison of the manga and anime when both version are over with the new tournament.Yeah this is the main problem with toyotaro,he just sucks at handling the antagonist,it gets worse with black.the line of vegeta being 10x weaker ruin hit victory and made thing very confusing.The finale like you said was really anticlimatic.
    I honestly think vegeta ruined the manga,he just make all the antagonist chumps and his line in the current chapter made me scratch my head,the manga is way better when he is not shown,all the best chapter in the TOP currently are the one he is no present.
      Thankfully toppo is actually pretty strong and cool along with jiren so maybe they will break the streak of lame antagonist,it will be very ironic if that happens.
      I actually liked Hit in the manga. In the anime he was just another generic, crazy strong silent type that wouldn't be nearly as popular if his design wasn't so good. There's almost no difference between him and Jiren.
      Funnily enough, I find that Hit in the manga has less personality and character than his anime counter-part, despite being more emotive.

His relationship with Goku is less developed in the manga, and thats even with excluding the mini Assasination Arc from the anime. This is due to the manga version of Hit being an underwhelming opponent in comparison to his anime counter part.

In the universe 6 tournament, the anime version of the arc has Goku and Hit develop a mutual respect for one another, which leads to a lot of interesting character interactions and is something that is genuinely developed throughout their fight.

In the manga, Hit still respects Goku, but I don't see any reason for Goku to care or give a damn about Hit.

As an opponent, in the manga, Hit is physically underwhelming opponent with a unique gimmick that can be overcome if he comes up against some one stronger than himself. Thats literally all there is to him as an opponent. To beat him, you simply need to be more powerful than him, and you win.

In the anime Hit is a physically underwhelming opponent with a unique gimmick that allows him to defeat people of greater physical power than himself. However, this gimmick can be overcome through a unique method. However, Hit is also an opponent that can improve his technique to out-match his opponent, meaning his opponent will have to also improve in order to match him. In other words, the anime version of Hit, is the perfect opponent for Goku.

Hit is an opponent whose interesting for how he overcomes troublesome situations and his attitude while doing so. Same can be said for Goku. Both are characters that find themselves in precarious positions during their fight, and both characters handle those situations with different attitudes. Hit is likeable in the anime for handling tough situations cooly, efficiently and in an interesting manner. That is the appeal of the character. This appeal is something that is not present in the manga version of the character. He loses his cool quickly, he doesn't handle overcome obstacles in an interesting manner, and he isn't even efficient. This lack of "badass" appeal is also why a lot of people prefer the anime version of Black to his manga counter-part, who suffers from the same problem as the manga version of Hit.

Though Hit isn't much, he is leaps and bounds ahead of anime Jiren in terms of character, even within his introductory arc, when he was at his most boring. Hit has an interesting occupation, he has a interesting and fairly unique relationship with Goku that is explored adequately throughout their battle, and very early on they establish that he also has a code by which he acts upon. Anime Jiren, doesn't really have any of those things. Its true he has Hits appeal as a badass, but it is a very different breed of badass to Hits. While Hit relies far more on improving himself and cunning plans, Jirens main appeal comes from the fact his really really strong and can overcome any situation through power alone. Hits appeal as a badass can allows for some creativity with how he solves his situations, he can improve his technique or change up techniques to accomodate for different opponents, an aspect of him that I think was wonderfully potrayed in episode 104. Jirens appeal as a badass, on the other hand can become quite predictable and creatively stale, no matter the situation his in, the method and reasoning for overcoming an obstacle will always be the same.
      Great post JazzMazz.

You wonderfully summed up why Hit thrives as a character in the anime, whereas in the manga, he's really got nothing going for him.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:21 am

Forgot to mention Hit being underwhelming in the manga take out all the power and shock when Dyspo or Jiren dominate him,as a viewer of the anime I was shocked when hit was getting destroyed in 104 whereas as the manga if that happens I will say whatever.
        As well him Jobbing to Jiren I will also feel nothing,I really hope Vegeta take hit role in the manga.

HeroR
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:26 am

The gr wrote:Forgot to mention Hit being underwhelming in the manga take out all the power and shock when Dyspo or Jiren dominate him,as a viewer of the anime I was shocked when hit was getting destroyed in 104 whereas as the manga if that happens I will say whatever.
        Those fights may not happened in the manga since Hit and Goku doesn't have that kind of bond with each other. It's even questionable if manga Hit will have his dimensional space technique or his invisible shockwaves. I honestly just expect Hit to lose to Jiren without doing much.
        Kanassa wrote:
        Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

The gr
        I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:27 am

HeroR wrote: Those fights may not happened in the manga since Hit and Goku doesn't have that kind of bond with each other. It's even questionable if manga Hit will have his dimensional space technique or his invisible shockwaves. I honestly just expect Hit to lose to Jiren without doing much.
        Like I mentioned if that happened it will do nothing to me whereas as the Anime I felt something.Will be shocked if those fights don't appear in the manga if you think about it Hit vs Dyspo is kinda pointless since the latter was still standing in the Ring when the match is over.
        Last edited by The gr on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

HeroR
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:34 am

The gr wrote:
        HeroR wrote: Those fights may not happened in the manga since Hit and Goku doesn't have that kind of bond with each other. It's even questionable if manga Hit will have his dimensional space technique or his invisible shockwaves. I honestly just expect Hit to lose to Jiren without doing much.
        Like I mentioned if that happened it will do nothing to me whereas as the Anime I felt something.Will be shocked if those fights don't appear in the manga if you think about it Hit vs Dyspo is kinda pointless since the latter was still standing in the Ring when the match is over.
        Well, it took a Pride Trooper out and it allowed Jiren to observed Hit's fighting style.
        Kanassa wrote:

The gr
        I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:37 am

HeroR wrote:
        Well, it took a Pride Trooper out and it allowed Jiren to observed Hit's fighting style.
        Wait did Jiren mentioned that in 111,I don't remember a line like that and by looking at his fighting style he isn't that type of guy
          I will find it hilarious that Toyotaro first legit villains are literally a group of super heroes wearing red spandex :lol: must be favoritism towards the God of destruction i will wait and see their performance in the tournament to truly make this statement.

HeroR
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:47 am

The gr wrote:
          HeroR wrote:
          Wait did Jiren mentioned that in 111,I don't remember a line like that and by looking at his fighting style he isn't that type of guy
            I will find it hilarious that Toyotaro first legit villains are literally a group of super heroes wearing red spandex :lol: must be favoritism towards the God of destruction i will wait and see their performance in the tournament to truly make this statement.
            He was clearly observing Hit's techniques in 104 and Toppo even knew about his dimensional space technique. Jiren, I believe, is a smart fighter. He just comes off as a brute because he has little need to be fashion and can just beat people by overwhelming them. He's also not sadistic to drag out his opponents' suffering like Freeza and Cell.

Honestly, that sounds like Toyo, but it would still be a big improvement for him, so whatever works. And it does seems Toyo loves his Gods of Destruction.
            Kanassa wrote:

Hawk9211
            OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:52 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
            JazzMazz wrote:
            supersaiyanZero wrote:
            I actually liked Hit in the manga. In the anime he was just another generic, crazy strong silent type that wouldn't be nearly as popular if his design wasn't so good. There's almost no difference between him and Jiren.
            Funnily enough, I find that Hit in the manga has less personality and character than his anime counter-part, despite being more emotive.

His relationship with Goku is less developed in the manga, and thats even with excluding the mini Assasination Arc from the anime. This is due to the manga version of Hit being an underwhelming opponent in comparison to his anime counter part.

In the universe 6 tournament, the anime version of the arc has Goku and Hit develop a mutual respect for one another, which leads to a lot of interesting character interactions and is something that is genuinely developed throughout their fight.

In the manga, Hit still respects Goku, but I don't see any reason for Goku to care or give a damn about Hit.

As an opponent, in the manga, Hit is physically underwhelming opponent with a unique gimmick that can be overcome if he comes up against some one stronger than himself. Thats literally all there is to him as an opponent. To beat him, you simply need to be more powerful than him, and you win.

In the anime Hit is a physically underwhelming opponent with a unique gimmick that allows him to defeat people of greater physical power than himself. However, this gimmick can be overcome through a unique method. However, Hit is also an opponent that can improve his technique to out-match his opponent, meaning his opponent will have to also improve in order to match him. In other words, the anime version of Hit, is the perfect opponent for Goku.

Hit is an opponent whose interesting for how he overcomes troublesome situations and his attitude while doing so. Same can be said for Goku. Both are characters that find themselves in precarious positions during their fight, and both characters handle those situations with different attitudes. Hit is likeable in the anime for handling tough situations cooly, efficiently and in an interesting manner. That is the appeal of the character. This appeal is something that is not present in the manga version of the character. He loses his cool quickly, he doesn't handle overcome obstacles in an interesting manner, and he isn't even efficient. This lack of "badass" appeal is also why a lot of people prefer the anime version of Black to his manga counter-part, who suffers from the same problem as the manga version of Hit.

Though Hit isn't much, he is leaps and bounds ahead of anime Jiren in terms of character, even within his introductory arc, when he was at his most boring. Hit has an interesting occupation, he has a interesting and fairly unique relationship with Goku that is explored adequately throughout their battle, and very early on they establish that he also has a code by which he acts upon. Anime Jiren, doesn't really have any of those things. Its true he has Hits appeal as a badass, but it is a very different breed of badass to Hits. While Hit relies far more on improving himself and cunning plans, Jirens main appeal comes from the fact his really really strong and can overcome any situation through power alone. Hits appeal as a badass can allows for some creativity with how he solves his situations, he can improve his technique or change up techniques to accomodate for different opponents, an aspect of him that I think was wonderfully potrayed in episode 104. Jirens appeal as a badass, on the other hand can become quite predictable and creatively stale, no matter the situation his in, the method and reasoning for overcoming an obstacle will always be the same.
            Great post JazzMazz.

You wonderfully summed up why Hit thrives as a character in the anime, whereas in the manga, he's really got nothing going for him.

I believe that hit will get a buff,maybe even a ridiculous buff.
            Why power levels are important?
            The genre and roots of dragon ball

The gr
            I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:58 am

HeroR wrote: He was clearly observing Hit's techniques in 104 and Toppo even knew about his dimensional space technique. Jiren, I believe, is a smart fighter. He just comes off as a brute because he has little need to be fashion and can just beat people by overwhelming them. He's also not sadistic to drag out his opponents' suffering like Freeza and Cell.

Honestly, that sounds like Toyo, but it would still be a big improvement for him, so whatever works. And it does seems Toyo loves his Gods of Destruction.
            He did read Hit movement in 111 with ease,104 wasn't that pointless as I thought.I would have still liked a legit Goku Black as well a Hit, those are fan favorite character whereas Jiren,Toppo and Dyspo are not in the Anime,Toppo is the most liked character right there yet he is second fiddle.
            Hawk9211 wrote:I believe that hit will get a buff,maybe even a ridiculous buff.
            Since his ability work when his opponents is weaker logically it makes sense why Hit get a huge buff.

LightBing
            I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:04 pm

Toyotarõ will likely have Hit train to have his full power without restrictions. That will be enough to put him at the very least equal to SSJB, since he dodged Goku's Full Power Kamehameha.

Hit isn't a weakling by any means in the manga, he just relies exclusively in his time-skip because that's all he ever needed. I know this part of the manga was rushed but either people completely missed this point or choose to ignore it for their argument. I repeat manga Hit isn't a weakling.

Hawk9211
            OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:08 pm

The gr wrote:
            HeroR wrote: He was clearly observing Hit's techniques in 104 and Toppo even knew about his dimensional space technique. Jiren, I believe, is a smart fighter. He just comes off as a brute because he has little need to be fashion and can just beat people by overwhelming them. He's also not sadistic to drag out his opponents' suffering like Freeza and Cell.

He did read Hit movement in 111 with ease,104 wasn't that pointless as I thought.I would have still liked a legit Goku Black as well a Hit, those are fan favorite character whereas Jiren,Toppo and Dyspo are not in the Anime,Toppo is the most liked character right there yet he is second fiddle.
            Hawk9211 wrote:I believe that hit will get a buff,maybe even a ridiculous buff.
            Since his ability work when his opponents is weaker logically it makes sense why Hit get a huge buff.
            He is definitely going to show off his techniques and I wouldn't be surprised if he improved time skip becoming similar to anime time skip.As light bing said hit was not ssg level,he couldn't maintain his power because he did not used them for a long time but with goku this gives him incentive to improve his power and techniques,
            Why power levels are important?
            The genre and roots of dragon ball

HeroR
            Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:12 pm

LightBing wrote:Toyotarõ will likely have Hit train to have his full power without restrictions. That will be enough to put him at the very least equal to SSJB, since he dodged Goku's Full Power Kamehameha.

Hit isn't a weakling by any means in the manga, he just relies exclusively in his time-skip because that's all he ever needed. I know this part of the manga was rushed but either people completely missed this point or choose to ignore it for their argument. I repeat manga Hit isn't a weakling.
            No one is calling him a weakling. We're calling him lackluster.
            Kanassa wrote:

sintzu
            Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:14 pm

LightBing wrote:Toyotarõ will likely have Hit train to have his full power without restrictions.
            If there's anyone I'm excited to see in the tournament apart from Vegeta it's Hit because the anime for the most part just gave him the middle finger (like most not named Goku). I hope he's allowed to have at least one major win, get a true rematch with Goku then finally an epic fight with Jiren.
            July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
            Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:35 pm

sintzu wrote:
            LightBing wrote:Toyotarõ will likely have Hit train to have his full power without restrictions.
            If there's anyone I'm excited to see in the tournament apart from Vegeta it's Hit because the anime for the most part just gave him the middle finger (like everyone not named Goku). I hope he's allowed to have at least one major win, get a true rematch with Goku then finally an epic fight with Jiren.
            I thought Hit was handled extremely well. We see just how efficient and pragmatic he is with his Time-Skip with how he effortlessly eliminated Narirama and Kunshi and how he saved Caulifla from being eliminated.

Plus, Goku fought Hit twice more after the initial fight in the Champa arc in the anime. And both those fights was very good given their contexts.

LightBing
            I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:37 pm

HeroR wrote:
            LightBing wrote:Toyotarõ will likely have Hit train to have his full power without restrictions. That will be enough to put him at the very least equal to SSJB, since he dodged Goku's Full Power Kamehameha.

No one is calling him a weakling. We're calling him lackluster.
            Starting with the post that started this chain there's various mentions to it. All bulked into the discussion that he's lackluster, which I agree with just felt the need to point this particular aspect out.

I'm not even mentioning his assassination techniques since they won't be a factor at the tournament. Unfortunate because the main motivation for Goku to want to fight Hit again is exactly this. He'll just follow the way of all other Goku rivals(except Vegeta) and be left behind.
            sintzu wrote:If there's anyone I'm excited to see in the tournament apart from Vegeta it's Hit because the anime for the most part just gave him the middle finger (like everyone not named Goku). I hope he's allowed to have at least one major win, get a true rematch with Goku then finally an epic fight with Jiren.
            I would prefer a rematch with Vegeta to see what would happen without the SSJB handicap. I also want him to get a decent win against some mid/high level opponent like you.

HeroR
            Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:37 pm

sintzu wrote:
            If there's anyone I'm excited to see in the tournament apart from Vegeta it's Hit because the anime for the most part just gave him the middle finger (like most not named Goku). I hope he's allowed to have at least one major win, get a true rematch with Goku then finally an epic fight with Jiren.
            If Hit and Goku were destined to have a rematch in this tournament, Toei wouldn't have bothered with Episodes 71 and 72, which was Goku and Hit's official rematch in the anime. And that rematch gave Hit the benefit of using his killing techniques, which the manga can't do since there is a no-kill rule.

Hit also won against Dyspo, twice. He just couldn't ring him out because his teammate saved him.
            Kanassa wrote:

sintzu
            Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:42 pm

HeroR wrote:Hit also won against Dyspo, twice.

He just couldn't ring him out because his teammate saved him.
            Didn't Goku save him ?

Which was because the writers didn't want him to, something I hope the manga changes. There were 60 new characters, there's no excuse for him & Vegeta to not get at least 3 good fights and wins before being knocked out by Jiren.
            July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.