Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:51 pm

JulianStyles wrote:Its a logical interpretation. Toei hyped up Krillin with 2 episodes if him regaining his power and conquering fear. Remember those power glowing fist he had? Then the episode where they choosing the fighters. Goku is so insistent that Krillin is a top guy to get. Then next episode. Have Krillin ring out Gohan under the same "I cant see, I cant sense" circumstances he just won under. On to Krillin vs Goku. Forcing him SS. Then a SSB beam clash.

Everyone and their mother predicted Krillin would go far in the tournament. The Anime kept hammering home strategy over strength. Right or wrong?

Then to have Krillin go out in the 2nd full episode of the arc. Doesnt make sense. Clearly follow an outline. What they do in between in a cluster inconsistent show. Akiras outline Krillin not training or not into training and has gotten soft. Because thats been a theme of his since BOG even Buu saga. What else is in Akiras outline is in which order the characters are eliminated in. So when the manga gets to that point it would be a build up of what made sense.
Krillin getting in shape through training does not mean he will go far in the TOP. It also has nothing to do with the false "interpretation" people are making about Krillin not training in the manga. The TOP hasn't started yet and they say Krillin isn't going to get in shape in the manga is an assumption.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Miracles wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:Its a logical interpretation. Toei hyped up Krillin with 2 episodes if him regaining his power and conquering fear. Remember those power glowing fist he had? Then the episode where they choosing the fighters. Goku is so insistent that Krillin is a top guy to get. Then next episode. Have Krillin ring out Gohan under the same "I cant see, I cant sense" circumstances he just won under. On to Krillin vs Goku. Forcing him SS. Then a SSB beam clash.

Everyone and their mother predicted Krillin would go far in the tournament. The Anime kept hammering home strategy over strength. Right or wrong?

Then to have Krillin go out in the 2nd full episode of the arc. Doesnt make sense. Clearly follow an outline. What they do in between in a cluster inconsistent show. Akiras outline Krillin not training or not into training and has gotten soft. Because thats been a theme of his since BOG even Buu saga. What else is in Akiras outline is in which order the characters are eliminated in. So when the manga gets to that point it would be a build up of what made sense.
Krillin getting in shape through training does not mean he will go far in the TOP. It also has nothing to do with the false "interpretation" people are making about Krillin not training in the manga. The TOP hasn't started yet and they say Krillin isn't going to get in shape in the manga is an assumption.
How much can Krillin do in a day? Piccolo is going to beat Gohan up and keep giving him Senzus to recover. Krillin wont be doing anything that intense. We already know hes first out. So him getting in shape will equate to possibly 2 eliminations before hes gone from the start.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 pm

JulianStyles wrote:
Miracles wrote:

How much can Krillin do in a day? Piccolo is going to beat Gohan up and keep giving him Senzus to recover. Krillin wont be doing anything that intense. We already know hes first out. So him getting in shape will equate to possibly 2 eliminations before hes gone from the start.
But still doesn't mean that Krillin won't be in top shape for the tourney in the manga like the anime according to the poster a few quotes back.
Which was the point of conversation you quoted between me and another poster.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 am

The only reasonable option is the RoSaT, but NO ONE ever uses that thing besides Goku and Vegeta. I mean its possible that Piccolo plans to take Gohan in their to whip him back into shape, which would the most pragmatic option, not only for Gohan and Piccolo, but Tien and Roshi as well, training together for almost a year in that environment would do them all wonders, heck for good measure, have all of them drink the Ultra Divine Water as well(their bodies are strong enough to survive it).

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Miracles wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Miracles wrote: Toyotaro and TOEI are on record stating that they do not change Toriyama's outline. Both groups stories get from A to B as Toriyama laid it down.
They only can suggest changes but are allowed to fill in the details in Toriyama's outline.

People like to pretend Toriyama is non existent and TOEI and Toyotaro are just freelancing his series.
Seems like an agenda to pretend that the anime and manga aren't the same story just cause it hurts their fav characters power levels.
But, there are noticeable differences. For example, the manga doesn't have Kuririn's return to form before the tournament. Though its more than safe to say they follow the same outline, I think its also safe to say that Toei and Toyotaro interpret the outline in different ways, which is why there are a lot of glaring differences in the portrayal of the characters between the anime and the manga.
Did the tournament begin already in the manga? People are already "interpreting" Krillin not getting in shape. Just like many jumped the gun on the gods and Kaioshin being a set "manga only." Here comes Toei later with the same plot.
But Kuririn is out of shape in the manga. He literally says so in the most recent chapter. What I'm getting at, is that even though Toei doesn't really diverge from Toriyama's outline, that's all he gives them, a basic outline. The outline then goes through 3 levels of fleshing out before finally reaching the screen. Toyotaro's manga at best just goes through him and Toriyama. This is the reason there are massive differences between the anime and manga.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:23 am

sintzu wrote:
LightBing wrote:I'm curious how the manga will tackle the recent anime development.

In the manga Goku and Vegeta are equals, there's no need for catching up.
There's nothing to handle cause they are equals. I think the reason he's getting this power up is because Toriyama's outline says they fight as equals but Toei messed that up by introducing the Kaioken so early, something that wasn't in Toriyama's plot so they're having to go around it now.
After watching the last episode I think you're right on the money. It really feels like this double team against Jiren is from Mr.Toriyama and the anime had to equalise them. That transformation doesn't feel from Mr.Toriyama at all, more like a copy of Super Vegeta back from the Cell Arc.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:43 am

LightBing wrote:
sintzu wrote:
LightBing wrote:I'm curious how the manga will tackle the recent anime development.

In the manga Goku and Vegeta are equals, there's no need for catching up.
There's nothing to handle cause they are equals. I think the reason he's getting this power up is because Toriyama's outline says they fight as equals but Toei messed that up by introducing the Kaioken so early, something that wasn't in Toriyama's plot so they're having to go around it now.
After watching the last episode I think you're right on the money. It really feels like this double team against Jiren is from Mr.Toriyama and the anime had to equalise them. That transformation doesn't feel from Mr.Toriyama at all, more like a copy of Super Vegeta back from the Cell Arc.
If this is from Toei then I highly doubt they'll do something as big as the kaioken on their own again to avoid ending up in a situation like this in the future.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Miracles wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: But, there are noticeable differences. For example, the manga doesn't have Kuririn's return to form before the tournament. Though its more than safe to say they follow the same outline, I think its also safe to say that Toei and Toyotaro interpret the outline in different ways, which is why there are a lot of glaring differences in the portrayal of the characters between the anime and the manga.
Did the tournament begin already in the manga? People are already "interpreting" Krillin not getting in shape. Just like many jumped the gun on the gods and Kaioshin being a set "manga only." Here comes Toei later with the same plot.
But Kuririn is out of shape in the manga. He literally says so in the most recent chapter. What I'm getting at, is that even though Toei doesn't really diverge from Toriyama's outline, that's all he gives them, a basic outline. The outline then goes through 3 levels of fleshing out before finally reaching the screen. Toyotaro's manga at best just goes through him and Toriyama. This is the reason there are massive differences between the anime and manga.
There are no massive differences between the anime and manga, that's just headcannon.
Kurin was outta shape too in the anime and we know Kurrin will get back in shape in the manga just like he did in the anime.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Miracles wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Miracles wrote: Did the tournament begin already in the manga? People are already "interpreting" Krillin not getting in shape. Just like many jumped the gun on the gods and Kaioshin being a set "manga only." Here comes Toei later with the same plot.
There are no massive differences between the anime and manga, that's just headcannon.
Kurin was outta shape too in the anime and we know Kurrin will get back in shape in the manga just like he did in the anime.
You can't be serious about this. Whole freaking events play out completely differently in-between the two shows and your telling me that there are no massive differences. I have no idea how you can say that.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:47 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Miracles wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: But Kuririn is out of shape in the manga. He literally says so in the most recent chapter. What I'm getting at, is that even though Toei doesn't really diverge from Toriyama's outline, that's all he gives them, a basic outline. The outline then goes through 3 levels of fleshing out before finally reaching the screen. Toyotaro's manga at best just goes through him and Toriyama. This is the reason there are massive differences between the anime and manga.
You can't be serious about this. Whole freaking events play out completely differently in-between the two shows and your telling me that there are no massive differences. I have no idea how you can say that.
None of them are massive
Massive differences are things that change the entire structure of the story. The DBS differences are mostly cosmetic that lead to the exact same result. The beginning, middle, and end of the story is always the same between the mediums.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:56 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Miracles wrote: There are no massive differences between the anime and manga, that's just headcannon.
None of them are massive
Massive differences are things that change the entire structure of the story. The DBS differences are mostly cosmetic that lead to the exact same result. The beginning, middle, and end of the story is always the same between the mediums.
So going to the future an extra time than the manga, something that greatly altered the structure of the arc, isn't what would be considered a major difference?

I will say agree that generally, key plot points are repeated in both mediums, but there are major differences in the gaps and details.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:13 am

JazzMazz wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:You can't be serious about this. Whole freaking events play out completely differently in-between the two shows and your telling me that there are no massive differences. I have no idea how you can say that.
None of them are massive
So going to the future an extra time than the manga, something that greatly altered the structure of the arc, isn't what would be considered a major difference?

I will say agree that generally, key plot points are repeated in both mediums, but there are major differences in the gaps and details.
It didn't really alter the structure though. the manga just pretty much combined the 1st two visits and both end up causing the same thing. Goku goes for the mafuba and Vegeta trains, while Trunks gets left behind
Don't get me wrong, they're changes, but if the changes don't really affect the main story much, then they're not massive. If say, Black followed them to the past and actually stayed there to where they actually had to finish the fight there, preventing the mafuba learning, or Beerus went to the future and joined in the fight, THAT would be a massive change that alters the structure of the plot.
Even the Spirit Sword/Goku Hakai amounts to absolutely nothing in the story, and just leads to the same exact ending

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 pm

A quick comparison between characters, how they are portrayed and how they are handled.

Caulifla: Same between both mediums.

Kale: Significantly better in the manga. The character shy trait is put to much better use by hidden her potential behind it. It makes me invested in the character and it's a shame we already know how her character arc goes, otherwise the mystery would be great and assuming her story stays the same the reveal would be impactfull beyond an extreme blunder.

Jiren: While his anime version is finally using his vocal cords, he's still far too boring and flat. Even with the limited time with him in the manga this version is better built, has a clear personality and a goal; which is decent so far and much better than the anime.

Toppo: Very similar, his anime version is more exuberant. Him screaming justice like a Pokemon annoys me slightly. Overall I have no preference.

Freeza: Need a translation from the latest chapter.

Tenshinhan and Kame-Sennin:
Need a translation from the latest chapter.

Cabba: In the manga he's more reliable for the lack of a better word. His interaction with Caulifla is definitely better there. Otherwise personality is equal.

Gohan: Can't really decide. The anime threw so many things that never amounted to anything turning me off from all the time given to him.

I'll update and add more to this when the latest chapter is translated.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Jiren: Manga because he doesnt stay stupid oneliners, Superman for the win.

Gohan: Indifferent despite having different outfits.

Toppo: Prefer the anime version, he doesnt repeat the same phrase like Ribrianne does, and his manga counterpart is kinda boring.

Tenshinhan: Manga, because Toyo didnt humilliate him like Toei.

Freeza: Anime because in the manga he seems to be a bitch like in FnF.

Caulifla: Stalemate, not including the PL stuff because that was Toei screwing up by giving her SSJ2 too early.

Kale: Manga, because she isnt a damsel in distress and can actually fight, its hinting her potential and why she will become stronger than Caulifla.

Cabba: Manga, because he acts more like a man instead of being a wimp like his anime counterpart.

gammabeast21

Post by gammabeast21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Mangatards must make up their mind. Is the manga a great stand alone story? Or is DBS great when you combine them? Because it is shit if you ignore the anime. This is what we know by just looking at manga:

1. First time we see Gohan in 20+ Chapters(where it is said he isn't a fighter) and his has resolve changed and is ready for to fight again ( all done off screen).

2. Goku didn't speak to Gohan(his son) at all this chapter and this is the first time they see each other since the 4th/5th chapter of the manga.

3. Freeza negotiations were treated as a gag and remember by looking at manga on its own the last time we saw Freeza was the shitty movie. Remember how hateful everyone was when we first heard Freeza was coming back for the tournament, but anime converted the fan base into Freeza fan boys.

4.Krillin is good at running away. No, he is definitely not a skilled tactician and martial artist or something like that.

5. Caulifla is strong for no reason. Just because she is the strongest saiyan (anime said she is the sister of Cabbe's teacher, but with more potential).

6. The 1st Female Super Saiyan happened offscreen. Cabbe adds that she achieved it easily with no explanation. (Say what you want, but Tingly back is rooted in a real martial arts aspect known as tanden.)

Don't be offended if you're not a mangatard.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm

What I dislike about the manga is the people that defend it, like its the 2nd coming of Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, etc. And also the amount of Goku wank which is worse than the anime.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:Mangatards must make up their mind. Is the manga a great stand alone story? Or is DBS great when you combine them? Because it is shit if you ignore the anime. This is what we know by just looking at manga:

1. First time we see Gohan in 20+ Chapters(where it is said he isn't a fighter) and his has resolve changed and is ready for to fight again ( all done off screen).

2. Goku didn't speak to Gohan(his son) at all this chapter and this is the first time they see each other since the 4th/5th chapter of the manga.

3. Freeza negotiations were treated as a gag and remember by looking at manga on its own the last time we saw Freeza was the shitty movie. Remember how hateful everyone was when we first heard Freeza was coming back for the tournament, but anime converted the fan base into Freeza fan boys.

4.Krillin is good at running away. No, he is definitely not a skilled tactician and martial artist or something like that.

5. Caulifla is strong for no reason. Just because she is the strongest saiyan (anime said she is the sister of Cabbe's teacher, but with more potential).

6. The 1st Female Super Saiyan happened offscreen. Cabbe adds that she achieved it easily with no explanation. (Say what you want, but Tingly back is rooted in a real martial arts aspect known as tanden.)

Don't be offended if you're not a mangatard.
It's funny, I went to report this post but it was already reported so it appears many people are a few steps ahead.

gammabeast21

Post by gammabeast21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:34 pm

I rephrased my post to be less vulgar but I still stand by the points I make.

Fans of the manga must make up their mind. Is the manga a great stand alone story? Or is DBS great when you combine them? Because it is quite weak if you ignore the anime. This is what we know by just looking at manga:

6. The 1st Female Super Saiyan happened offscreen. Cabbe adds that she achieved it easily with no explanation. (Say what you want, but Tingly back is rooted in a real martial arts aspect known as tanden)

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Manga way better as per usual. :thumbup:

1) Cabba is not a complete joke.
2) No tingly-back bullshit.
3) Kale is not a weak little girl who can't even fight.
4) U6 Saiyans look way better.

Cons:
1) Goku vs Freeza was offscreen.
2) Gohan's training was offscreen.

But it's still better.
Oh, and it looks like no-one from U7, aside from Gohan and Piccolo, has actually trained. So if Krillin goes out first it's not a problem because he wasn't hyped at all.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:46 pm

perucho1990 wrote:What I dislike about the manga is the people that defend it, like its the 2nd coming of Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, etc. And also the amount of Goku wank which is worse than the anime.
One Piece is popular as fuck, but there are 50+ better mangas.