Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah that is one thing I dislike in both, is the amount of throwbacks they do to the other series, like let Super be it's own thing, for example Toyo went out his way to make Goku and Vegeta spar so he can use that iconic pose from the Saiyan arc, plus the anime is no better and worse in some instances like with the whole Piccolo sacrifice thing...shudders.
Sure enough more of this from Toyo, the Cell throwback, to how he handled Goku and Vegeta rejecting the Poatara (I knew you were gonna say that Vegeta! We prefer to work alone sorry!) and Vegetto more or less just toying with Zamasu felt like a massive throwback to the Buu arc.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:46 pm

The only two things that bug me about the Super Manga.

1. They skipped Revival of F, while this is more of a minor nitpick, it feels like the pacing is a bit off between Battle of Gods arc and Champ arc. They should have either started off with the Champa arc or just add the 3 chapters of the promotional Revival of F with a chapter to wrap things up and add it to the first volume of the tankobon.

2. The god powers, while I do like the twist for what it was in the champa arc that Goku can still access the power even without the ritual, how did Vegeta access the power? Was it because of the blue form, he trained himself to regress back into the god form without the ritual? It just seems odd. It's cool but it seems odd though.

Things it does better then the anime though is the pacing in arcs. Champa arc and The Goku Black Arc, are way better paced then the anime does. I also like the fact that Goku and Vegeta didn't have to go to the future 3 different times like they did in the anime.

The only real advantage the Anime has, besides the Blue Kiaoken God Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, is the slice of life episodes. I feel it does a good job expanding on characters like Yamcha's baseball episode or Hercule fighting the aliens. Him fake punching Goku is probably one of the best scenes in the series.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:16 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:1. They skipped Revival of F, while this is more of a minor nitpick, it feels like the pacing is a bit off between Battle of Gods arc and Champ arc. They should have either started off with the Champa arc or just add the 3 chapters of the promotional Revival of F with a chapter to wrap things up and add it to the first volume of the tankobon.
In my mind the manga just starts with the Universe 6 material, building on the two movies.

Even its Battle of Gods adaptation is horribly truncated compared to everything that comes after.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Cipher wrote:In my mind the manga just starts with the Universe 6 material, building on the two movies.

Even its Battle of Gods adaptation is horribly truncated compared to everything that comes after.
There's some keys differences, even if the BoG arc is ridiculously short in the manga, which removes a possible connection to the movies.
Goku not losing SSJG, which avoids any two base theory conversations and maintains the transformation as usable. The lack of percentages talks, which completely changes the power-scale, Mr.Toriyama pre-Super scale was the famous Beerus = 10, Whis = 15 and SSJG = 5.
It's just a different continuity.

I can relate to the feeling of wanting completeness. Unfortunately this is what we have and I don't see Toyotarõ ever coming back to do the FnF arc and to improve the BoG.
Personally I just want the RoF arc, even if it's an abridged version. I'm fine with the BoG arc no need to be greedy.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Cipher wrote:In my mind the manga just starts with the Universe 6 material, building on the two movies.
To all of my friends who used to watch DBZ on TV and are interested in Super, I recommend that they watch the two films and start with Chapter 5. They're interested in the story, but not quite die-hard enough fans to put up with the anime's faults.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:38 pm

Why do people want RoF so much? It'd be the same thing as the movie except Goku would probably use SSG against Final Form Freeza

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:22 am

OLKv3 wrote:Why do people want RoF so much? It'd be the same thing as the movie except Goku would probably use SSG against Final Form Freeza
If Toyotaro has to go with Toriyama's outline then Goku would have to use his base form against Freezer. Though he could work around it so that Gohan is extremely tired and weakened when Freezer knocks him out, and in that case he could also keep the 1.3 milion line, Goku would have gotten a little stronger through training so he would be on par with the now powered up Freezer's final form (which would be around 300 milion considering he got around 3x stronger in his first form, if we go by power levels number) and give Freezer's Golden form a really high multiplier (in the anime it doesn't feel like Goku and Freezer power-up that much when they transform)

Unless I'm forgetting something this could potentially work (and it could have worked in the anime too, by just making everyone extremely tired once Freezer starts fighting)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:37 pm

The anime is the dumbest of dumb action movies and the manga is functional but painfully unremarkable, making them both really faulty for varying reasons. Honestly, if it can't work all the way through, I wish one or the other could at least be faulty but having interesting things to say about the material or a clear, strong creative voice behind it ala BvS or Iron Man 3.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm

sintzu wrote:
Araki wrote:It's well known at this point that Toyotaro has been coming up with his own ideas since the previous arc and he was even told to do more of that.

That can't be conveniently ignored.

I just can't believe some people still cling to the notion that the manga has Toriyama's original vision or other BS like that. He was never this bad.
Coming up with his own ideas is one thing, changing the main character is another. Toyotaru said Goku is his favorite character so why would he sideline him this much if he had a main role in Toriyama's outline ?

Another thing that can't be ignored is him saying he follows Toriyama's outline pretty close. If Toriyama's outline is what we got in the anime then what he's doing is anything but close.

That kind of thing reeks of "I hate Vegeta so I hope Toriyama didn't write this".
Does anyone have the interview in which it is said that Toyotaro faithfully follows the script of Toriyama or that the creator contributes in his work?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:59 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:Does anyone have the interview in which it is said that Toyotaro faithfully follows the script of Toriyama or that the creator contributes in his work?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intervi ... ou/.107579

"Fundamentally, I don't deviate from the major plotlines that Toriyama's laid down".
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:34 pm

sintzu wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:Does anyone have the interview in which it is said that Toyotaro faithfully follows the script of Toriyama or that the creator contributes in his work?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intervi ... ou/.107579

"Fundamentally, I don't deviate from the major plotlines that Toriyama's laid down".
''Every month, I'll create a storyboard for him to review, and then he'll give me input and suggest changes. When I'm working with Toriyama, there are many portions he gives me props for coming up with, but he is very particular about other things and always points them out for me to correct. And when he corrects me, I think “Wow, I guess I don't completely understand the way he looks at things,”

If Toriyama always revises Toyotaro's Storyboards and makes changes, it is because he is aware of everything that happens in the manga, including his changes in relation to the anime. He would have to approve of these changes, would not it? In that case we would have more of Toriyama in the manga, or I am wrong?

I'm not sure, I think I already asked that question but they had not brought this interview

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:46 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:He would have to approve of these changes, would not it ?

In that case we would have more of Toriyama in the manga, or I am wrong ?
If the manga's Black arc is so different form the anime because Toyotaruo changed things then he most likely would've had to get Toriyama's OK to do so.

It seems like he works more closely with the manga than the anime so I'd say yes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:45 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:

''Every month, I'll create a storyboard for him to review, and then he'll give me input and suggest changes. When I'm working with Toriyama, there are many portions he gives me props for coming up with, but he is very particular about other things and always points them out for me to correct. And when he corrects me, I think “Wow, I guess I don't completely understand the way he looks at things,”

If Toriyama always revises Toyotaro's Storyboards and makes changes, it is because he is aware of everything that happens in the manga, including his changes in relation to the anime. He would have to approve of these changes, would not it? In that case we would have more of Toriyama in the manga, or I am wrong?

I'm not sure, I think I already asked that question but they had not brought this interview
Then with all respect to Toriyama but that would mean he is completely out of touch, with the preference of generic antagonists and DBS being the "Goku and Vegeta show",

Dragon Ball Room/Toei at least are thinking out of the box despite their ideas being very hit or miss. Anime Black Goku is probably their best idea by far.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 pm

Pls don't tell me we're going through another which is more canon here? Again.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri May 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Bumping this, i want someone with a straight face and say this
    Manga Black is the best version of him or ft trunks manga version of the saga is way better than the anime,i just want to know if someone feel like that
    Mostly active on discord.

LightBing
    I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri May 12, 2017 7:07 pm

The gr wrote:Wew everyone is Circle jerking the Anime for 13 straight pages, seriously i want someone with a straight face and say this
      Manga Black is the best version of him or ft trunks manga version of the saga is way better than the anime,i just want to know if someone feel like that
      I prefer the manga in general but Anime Black is very entertaining.
      I'll copy what I wrote about it a few pages back:
      [spoiler]It seems Black will no longer appear in the manga. I can now offer a critique. Who did it worst? The manga.
      If there's one thing Anime Black has is charisma oozing out of every pore. He's a very compelling villain. There's a few writing hiccups here and there, which make Anime Black an idiot/incompetent in certains situation, for example allowing Trunks to escape so many times.
      That's not serious enough to take way from a very interesting character. Kudos to Ms Nozawa, her performance helped elevate the character.
      Deciding to add Goku/Saiyan traits to Black was the winning decision by the anime. It made him feel much more connected to Goku. Because of this his constant increase in power we're always hand-in-hand with these traits, improving these moments.

The manga went with Goku Black is Zamasu, which is true but that doesn't make him interesting or at least the manga wasn't able to make him "badass" enough. The manga goes out of his way to remove the hiccups the anime had, that's a plus. Goku Black reminds me of Piccolo Daimao, cocky and confident when's he's ahead, crumbling and cowardly when he's losing.
      I don't think Black is badly written in the manga. Not liking something doesn't make it bad.[/spoiler]

Regarding which version is better, I have to wait for the manga to be done. The truth is that the anime writing turned awful in the second half of the arc, I doubt Toyotarõ can screw what's left so badly to make me prefer the anime version.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri May 12, 2017 7:11 pm

LightBing wrote: I prefer the manga in general but Anime Black is very entertaining.
      I'll copy what I wrote about it a few pages back:
      [spoiler]It seems Black will no longer appear in the manga. I can now offer a critique. Who did it worst? The manga.
      If there's one thing Anime Black has is charisma oozing out of every pore. He's a very compelling villain. There's a few writing hiccups here and there, which make Anime Black an idiot/incompetent in certains situation, for example allowing Trunks to escape so many times.
      That's not serious enough to take way from a very interesting character. Kudos to Ms Nozawa, her performance helped elevate the character.
      Deciding to add Goku/Saiyan traits to Black was the winning decision by the anime. It made him feel much more connected to Goku. Because of this his constant increase in power we're always hand-in-hand with these traits, improving these moments.

The manga went with Goku Black is Zamasu, which is true but that doesn't make him interesting or at least the manga wasn't able to make him "badass" enough. The manga goes out of his way to remove the hiccups the anime had, that's a plus. Goku Black reminds me of Piccolo Daimao, cocky and confident when's he's ahead, crumbling and cowardly when he's losing.
      I don't think Black is badly written in the manga. Not liking something doesn't make it bad.[/spoiler]

Regarding which version is better, I have to wait for the manga to be done. The truth is that the anime writing turned awful in the second half of the arc, I doubt Toyotarõ can screw what's left so badly to make me prefer the anime version.
      I'm interested in your thoughts on why the Anime fell apart in the second half, because​ most of the people say act 3 is just the worst with the unnecessary power up for trunks and black and bad pacing
      Mostly active on discord.

TheMikado
      I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri May 12, 2017 7:17 pm

The gr wrote:Bumping this, i want someone with a straight face and say this
        Manga Black was awful but that's because there was never much to the character to begin with. Apparently the whole reason Zamasu gets pissed due to God tube. That's basically it in the original outline, actually it may even be possible the outline never even gave a motive in the first place. The Trunks arc isn't over yet in the manga but there are things I like such as the Trunks throwback because he's my 2nd favorite character. What will ultimately come down for me is Trunks ending so if the manga gives us a miracle where it's not Crap then it wins by default. Not a fan of BS stuff at all.

But the arc is my second least favorite of Super so as far as I'm concerned it's all crap.

LightBing
        I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri May 12, 2017 7:33 pm

The gr wrote:I'm interested in your thoughts on why the Anime fell apart in the second half, because​ most of the people say act 3 is just the worst with the unnecessary power up for trunks and black and bad pacing
        The writers just stopped caring. No set ups, complete disregard for logic, an obsession to deliver hype, cliffhangers and the likes.

I'll give the best example: Trunks transforms and allows the others to escape, the episode ends with the cliffhanger of him facing Black and Future Zamasu. Next episode, he somehow escaped and Black and Zamasu are relaxing like nothing happened. What's this?! How do they ignore telling us how Trunks escapes? It's a key moment in the arc and they treat it like an afterthought. It's insulting.

The above is the most extreme example. In the second half of the arc there's no more structure. Everything can happen, it doesn't matter as long as it's cool.

Saikyo no Senshi
        Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri May 12, 2017 11:44 pm

LightBing wrote: The writers just stopped caring. No set ups, complete disregard for logic, an obsession to deliver hype, cliffhangers and the likes.
        The series director made all those decisions along with the series composer. The script writers just followed their instructions. The right person to blame is the director who is the highest authority, not the writers who don't have any creative control to begin with.