Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by OLKv3 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:02 am

TheMikado wrote:
The gr wrote:Bumping this, i want someone with a straight face and say this
    Manga Black is the best version of him or ft trunks manga version of the saga is way better than the anime,i just want to know if someone feel like that
    Manga Black was awful but that's because there was never much to the character to begin with. Apparently the whole reason Zamasu gets pissed due to God tube. That's basically it in the original outline, actually it may even be possible the outline never even gave a motive in the first place. The Trunks arc isn't over yet in the manga but there are things I like such as the Trunks throwback because he's my 2nd favorite character. What will ultimately come down for me is Trunks ending so if the manga gives us a miracle where it's not Crap then it wins by default. Not a fan of BS stuff at all.

But the arc is my second least favorite of Super so as far as I'm concerned it's all crap.
    He doesn't get pissed because of Godtube. He hates mortals, and learning of Dragon Balls and Goku was just the out he needed to fulfill his plan. Gowasu's speech telling him that Kais are supposed to do nothing but watch is what finally sets him off. Zamasu does not have a grudge against Goku in the manga! People need to stop pushing the anime logic into the manga. Goku and Zamasu's grudge is anime only! In the manga, Goku is a tool in Zamasu's quest for ultimate power, nothing more

perucho1990
    I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:31 pm

The gr wrote:I'm interested in your thoughts on why the Anime fell apart in the second half, because​ most of the people say act 3 is just the worst with the unnecessary power up for trunks and black and bad pacing
    Rarely any people complained for Blacks powerups, it was mostly Trunks, I agree that pacing was kinda bad.

Lots of hardcore fans raged about Trunks powerup in episode 66, it was one of those moments in which doesnt make sense but its still cool.

Kinda falls at the level of....Eren becoming a fire titan at the end of SNK Season 1, it didnt make sense at all but only hardcore(manga) fans complained about it. a lot of the casuals found it cool.

SaiyanGod117
    Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:27 pm

I think one reason why the manga has been mediocre, as of late, is because Toyotaro is too confined in what he can write about. He has no creative flow, it's like he can't deviate too far away from the anime story boards, because the manga started being mediocre when the anime caught up to it, at some point in the Uni 6 arc. Now it seems the manga is akin to a guidebook or Daizenshuu used to explain things more clearly (in this case weren't explained at all) that weren't explained clear enough the first time around.

Also I see some don't like that Toyotaro retelling of the BOG movie was so short. I remember initial reactions weren't like that at all. I'm happy he did it, no need to have three of the same thing.

Jinzoningen MULE
    I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun May 14, 2017 10:00 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:I think one reason why the manga has been mediocre, as of late, is because Toyotaro is too confined in what he can write about. He has no creative flow, it's like he can't deviate too far away from the anime story boards, because the manga started being mediocre when the anime caught up to it, at some point in the Uni 6 arc. Now it seems the manga is akin to a guidebook or Daizenshuu used to explain things more clearly (in this case weren't explained at all) that weren't explained clear enough the first time around.

Also I see some don't like that Toyotaro retelling of the BOG movie was so short. I remember initial reactions weren't like that at all. I'm happy he did it, no need to have three of the same thing.
    -The manga is bad because Toyotaro has no creative flow
    -The manga became bad once the anime caught up

These are incompatible sentiments. Toyotaro took almost no creative liberty until months after the anime had caught up.

-The manga became bad once the manga fell behind
    -The manga is too much like a guidebook

Before the anime caught up, the manga was literally just a spoiler for the anime. Just because Toyotaro explains things in his version, and he does a better job at it, doesn't make it analogous to a guide book.

I'm sorry if this came off as rude, but you're comment here seems to be a contradiction sandwich.
    Retired.

SaiyanGod117
    Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:34 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
    SaiyanGod117 wrote:I think one reason why the manga has been mediocre, as of late, is because Toyotaro is too confined in what he can write about. He has no creative flow, it's like he can't deviate too far away from the anime story boards, because the manga started being mediocre when the anime caught up to it, at some point in the Uni 6 arc. Now it seems the manga is akin to a guidebook or Daizenshuu used to explain things more clearly (in this case weren't explained at all) that weren't explained clear enough the first time around.

-The manga is bad because Toyotaro has no creative flow
    -The manga became bad once the anime caught up

These are incompatible sentiments. Toyotaro took almost no creative liberty until months after the anime had caught up.

-The manga became bad once the manga fell behind
    -The manga is too much like a guidebook

Before the anime caught up, the manga was literally just a spoiler for the anime. Just because Toyotaro explains things in his version, and he does a better job at it, doesn't make it analogous to a guide book.

I'm sorry if this came off as rude, but you're comment here seems to be a contradiction sandwich.
    Creative freedom would be better term, I feel like if Toyotaro had the chance to reenact any of Super's arcs without any restrictions, while still following the same concept, they would be much better. Although, creative flow could is a term that works just fine too. At any rate, he's adapting mediocre content in the first place, so of course his work is going to be mediocre. Just like an anime adaptation of mediocre manga, will still be mediocre no matter how good the studio is.

Furthermore, I've read your comment like 4 times and I still don't see what's so it contradictory. Or your problem with my guidebook analogy. From my point of view, it seems like the people behind the anime don't bother to explain certain narratives, because that know it will be explained in the manga.

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm gonna bump this, by looking at the leaks of the new chapter, this is really similar to ep 66-67 but with a twist,I'm bumping this because I want more people comparing the anime and Manga in this thread rather than the Manga discussion thread
    Mostly active on discord.

PeanutSaiyan
    Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:15 pm

The gr wrote:I'm gonna bump this, by looking at the leaks of the new chapter, this is really similar to ep 66-67 but with a twist,I'm bumping this because I want more people comparing the anime and Manga in this thread rather than the Manga discussion thread
    There really is no comparison. The anime is putrid across the board while the manga is enjoyably more grounded.
    Manga Black was awful but that's because there was never much to the character to begin with. Apparently the whole reason Zamasu gets pissed due to God tube. That's basically it in the original outline, actually it may even be possible the outline never even gave a motive in the first place. The Trunks arc isn't over yet in the manga but there are things I like such as the Trunks throwback because he's my 2nd favorite character. What will ultimately come down for me is Trunks ending so if the manga gives us a miracle where it's not Crap then it wins by default. Not a fan of BS stuff at all.

But the arc is my second least favorite of Super so as far as I'm concerned it's all crap.
    I agree with all of this..Zamasu/Black are such weak characters who's motivations seemed empty and very artificial. It's a damn shame too, because he could have been one of the best villains in the series.
    Last edited by PeanutSaiyan on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:16 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:
    The gr wrote:I'm gonna bump this, by looking at the leaks of the new chapter, this is really similar to ep 66-67 but with a twist,I'm bumping this because I want more people comparing the anime and Manga in this thread rather than the Manga discussion thread
    There really is no comparison. The anime is putrid across the board while the manga is enjoyably more grounded.
    But opinions,I feel both versions have their ups and Downs

SansrivaaL
    I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:47 pm

It just boils down to which you prefer more, Future Trunks being a badass stud that got a new transformation that even Toei doesnt care to explain or acknowledge in universe or Goku's mastered SSJB form which Vegeta explains how it happens and whats happening. Trunks using genki dama plot sword against Goku using plot Hakai to which we cant even think of anything to how the genki sword happened that even Trunks doesnt know or Goku and Vegeta who we can still give an explanation that "Beerus could have showed it to them when he was acting all strong and powerful or Whis possibly teaching it to them" if Trunks trained under Kaio then I wouldnt have a problem with the genki sword and if he was aware of it... but that tho... they're trying to pull it off as "its a miracle, like in fairy tales."

Zephyr
    I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:03 pm

It's funny seeing people attempt to compare Trunks using a technique he never saw from a master he never met, to Goku using a technique from a person he's met, fought, and lived with for several months.

SansrivaaL
    I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Zephyr wrote:It's funny seeing people attempt to compare Trunks using a technique he never saw from a master he never met, to Goku using a technique from a person he's met, fought, and lived with for several months.
    Its a knee-jerk reaction, quite normal. Let some days pass and they'll realize it doesnt compare to Trunks' genki bs.

perucho1990
    I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:19 pm

The issue with todays chapter is the Hakai, everything else I would it was done well.

The hakai came up out of nowhere, and the fact that he was deleting Zamasu means Goku is Vegetto level which is dumb.

Btw Toyo pulled a Toei when Merged Zamasu didnt unfuse with the "lol I'm the ultimate God".

Merged Zamasu being ripped is logical, proves why U10 is the Macho Universe.

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:25 pm

perucho1990 wrote:The issue with todays chapter is the Hakai, everything else I would it was done well.

The hakai came up out of nowhere, and the fact that he was deleting Zamasu means Goku is Vegetto level which is dumb.

Btw Toyo pulled a Toei when Merged Zamasu didnt unfuse with the "lol I'm the ultimate God".

Again, just because goku got that technique that doesn't he's vegito level,i mean vegito was uterly destroying zamas unlike goku who struggling to take this guy down

LightBing
    I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:26 pm

perucho1990 wrote:The issue with todays chapter is the Hakai, everything else I would it was done well.

If Kuririn cut Goku in half with a kienzan would that mean he's stronger than him?

SansrivaaL
    I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Vegito dominated Merged Zamasu and was treating him like a play thing to the point of cutting his hands and taking a jab at him, he didnt even look like he was making an effort, it was a one sided beat down, the only reason why Vegito couldnt finish him off was because their fused time ran out faster than expected, if they knew their time was that limited Merged Zamasu woulda been doomed. Goku couldnt do that even with his mastered SSJB form, just because Goku has hakai a certain technique doesnt mean he's more powerful than Vegito.

Ki Breaker
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:29 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:Vegito was dominating Merged Zamasu and was treating him like a play thing to the point of cutting his hands and taking a jab at him, he didnt even look like he was making an effort, it was a one sided beat down, the only reason why Vegito couldnt finish him off was because their fused time ran out faster than expected, if they knew their time was that limited Merged Zamasu woulda been doomed.
    Vegetto the next time he returns is going to be comfortably make berrus his play thing..

Speaking of which, we know the time limit of fusion is 1 hour but how long until they can potara fuse again?
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

SansrivaaL
    I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Ki Breaker wrote: Vegetto the next time he returns is going to be comfortably make berrus his play thing..

Speaking of which, we know the time limit of fusion is 1 hour but how long until they can potara fuse again?
    Beerus' days are numbered 8)

Supposedly its an hour, but they separated before it, I dont think it was ever mentioned that there was a time limit with refusing via potaras.

FortuneSSJ
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:58 pm

The manga overall is great, but FT Trunks arc in the manga seems more like a Toei movie:

- Goku keeps being the one that shines the most (and this is supposed to be FT Trunks big return).
    - Immortal Zamasu and Present Zamasu are okay, but Goku Black and Merged Zamasu have generic personalities and pale in comparison to their anime counterparts.
    - Half the cast don't even appear.
    Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MKCSTEALTH
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:00 pm

I think it would be interesting to see what wouldve happened had the manga not gone on hiatus. Perhaps the anime would've followed it more closely. That being said:

Pros:
    + I like how SSJ God remains relevant, and even to the point that Blue is given a drawback.
    + I like how Future Trunks isn't portrayed so powerful and just pulling moves out of nowhere
    + I enjoy not having Grotesque Zamasu. I thought the idea worked in the anime, but I enjoy Merged Zamasu before he gets all melty. Plus giving him a time limit really spices things up for me. Makes me wonder how Zeno is going to become involved (as in the Manga preview for the Universe Survival Arc there are two Zenos still)
    + Vegito just dominating Zamasu was so satisfying. Something the anime has really lacked has been just sheer domination

Cons:
    - The plot hole they created with time travel, stating they can't return to the point they came from because time is continuously moving forward
    - Goku Black's character is severely lacking. Downright disappointing
    - Trunks underwent Kaioshin training? Huh?
    - Merged Zamasu using katchin blocks. That's just weird
    - I don't know how I feel about Full Power Blue.
    - Honestly, the length of the Future Trunks arc. I expected them to catch up with the Universe Survival Arc but that's not what we've gotten. I'm ready for this to end and for things to move on

So overall it's mixed to me. The manga does some things better then the anime, but I've overall enjoyed both in their own ways.

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:16 pm

I don't get it, trunks got his moments in the manga, let me put a list
      -escaping from Black in chapter 15
        -Healing mai
          -Killing dabura and badidi
            -helping to solved the mystery
              -saving Goku and Vegeta
                -stalling Black , letting vegeta and Goku escape
                  -despite being brutally tortured by black in 21,he was just laughing at this brute despite being beat up
                    -Healing gowasu, meaning he saved the u10 hakaishin​ and not afraid to run away from Black and zamas despite being weak
                      -motivating Vegeta to fuse
                        -Healing Goku,it wasn't that useful but at least it wear down zamas time limit
                          -lastly slicing mz in half,he may not be Rambo like his anime counterpart but hey he has his moments in the mangaI say the Manga use there cast well in this arc like the anime