Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:48 pm

sintzu wrote: Didn't Goku save him ?

Which was because the writers didn't want him to, something I hope the manga changes. There were 60 new characters, there's no excuse for him & Vegeta to not get at least 3 good fights and wins before being knocked out by Jiren.
Goku saved Hit when he got double teamed. In the one-on-one match, Hit won against Dypso and Dypso needed saving. Goku also only helped keep the other guy off of him as he smashed Dypso again. There is nothing wrong about Hit being saved since even Goku got his butt saved several times. Heck, Hit indirectly saved Goku from Jiren since he attacked Jiren when he was trying to ring Goku out.

What writers? Goku and Hit having their rematch in the TOP would be far more hyped then 71 and 72, even though they were great episodes and gave Hit full range of his power. Meaning that Goku vs. Hit isn't likely in the outline. Toyo could give Goku and Hit rematch in the TOP, depending if Hit is destined to fight Jiren, but let's not pretend that the anime never gave the rematch even if it wasn't part of this arc.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:32 pm

#17 battle was better in the anime however his motivation is way better in the manga,i will take his scene where he remember krillin saving his life over a boring filler episode.
Lord Frieza wrote:
Well that is true but lets not forget that he was Goku's first real challenge and remained a secondary antagonist right up till near the end of the first arc, all be it a helpful one. Really he just suffers from the fact he was first and as such is at the very bottom of the pile of Goku's rivals.

Edit: Also the fact that he's very, very tame compared to literarily all the compation.

I bet Yamcha misses the days when he was the teams Vegeta.
Were gonna use this thread Lord frieza.
    Very sad that yamcha is not given enough credit these day.I wish we had more rival like him sadly anime jiren is just your other stoic character which i want the manga to not fumble this.
    Mostly active on discord.

Lord Frieza
    I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:41 pm

The gr wrote:#17 battle was better in the anime however his motivation is way better in the manga,i will take his scene where he remember krillin saving his life over a boring filler episode.
    Lord Frieza wrote:
    Well that is true but lets not forget that he was Goku's first real challenge and remained a secondary antagonist right up till near the end of the first arc, all be it a helpful one. Really he just suffers from the fact he was first and as such is at the very bottom of the pile of Goku's rivals.

Edit: Also the fact that he's very, very tame compared to literarily all the compation.

I bet Yamcha misses the days when he was the teams Vegeta.
    Were gonna use this thread Lord frieza.
      Very sad that yamcha is not given enough credit these day.I wish we had more rival like him sadly anime jiren is just your other stoic character which i want the manga to not fumble this.
      I'm going to say that I really like Jiren. His design, his fighting style, his fight etc but as it stand never in a million years would I try to convince anyone that his Anime incarnation at this current moment has a lot of character. I've said befor that Jiren is more force the an actual character. Infact he reminds me of Doomsday, very interesting to watch but you can sum up the guy in a sentence or two.

I really like the Superman vibe Manga Jiren has and I have high hopes for him.

Actaull that's a very ironic way to look at it.

Manga Jiren - Superman

Anime Jiren - Doomsday.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:46 pm

Not that i hate anime Jiren,he work as a wall for Goku and like Doomsday he is very fun to watch when battling.I'm glad the anime and manga took diferent take on this character,if you don't like Mr nice man then you should watch a Force a nature vice versa.

Lord Beerus
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:15 am

The gr wrote:#17 battle was better in the anime however his motivation is way better in the manga,i will take his scene where he remember krillin saving his life over a boring filler episode.
      Android 17's motivation for fighting in the TOP is the same in the manga as it is in the anime. He wants to use the Super Dragon Balls to wish for a giant boat that would cost too much money to buy.

perucho1990
      I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:50 am

Anime Jiren in episode 122 finally resembles a bit of Mangas Jiren personality, we could assume Jiren being another Superman was part of the outline.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Android 17's motivation for fighting in the TOP is the same in the manga as it is in the anime. He wants to use the Super Dragon Balls to wish for a giant boat that would cost too much money to buy.
      As in the reasoning of entering the tournament.

OLKv3
      I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
      Android 17's motivation for fighting in the TOP is the same in the manga as it is in the anime. He wants to use the Super Dragon Balls to wish for a giant boat that would cost too much money to buy.
      It's not the same. In the manga, it's a secondary reason. His main reason is to repay Krillin for removing his bomb

Lord Beerus
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:26 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
      Lord Beerus wrote:
      It's not the same. In the manga, it's a secondary reason. His main reason is to repay Krillin for removing his bomb
      Funny enough, in the anime, #17 also remakes that he owes a certain someone something and decided to join the team, and then remarks what wish he'll grant with the Super Dragon Balls. But he doesn't actually refer to who the person that owes is. But he does ask if Krillin, who he refers to as his brother, is on the team, so it may be him he's referring to.

LightBing
      I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm curious how the manga will tackle the recent anime development.

In the manga Goku and Vegeta are equals, there's no need for catching up. We might have another 10% Vegeta situation in our hands. There's also the chance Toei tinkered with this part.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36 pm

17 was no doubt thinking of krillin, but they proly wanted the manga to say it. So they dont do the same thing.

Well on topic: About the FT arc, while i enjoy the power scaling in the chapter, since it makes sense, i loved that Toei gave Trunks a powerup and so forth. In the manga he was basically a spectator mostly. And that Toei made merged Zamasu be a bigger threat to our heroes than in the manga. Oh and that Zamasu crapped on nakama power, oh boy did i liked that.
      LightBing wrote:I'm curious how the manga will tackle the recent anime development.

In the manga Goku and Vegeta are equals, there's no need for catching up. We might have another 10% Vegeta situation in our hands. There's also the chance Toei tinkered with this part.
      In before Vegeta gets nothing new in the manga apart from perhaps some BP increase so he can keep Jiren at bay till Goku unlocks UI. Basically the kid buu saga.

Tho i am very curious how Toyotaru will handle it.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:32 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
      OLKv3 wrote:
      Lord Beerus wrote: Android 17's motivation for fighting in the TOP is the same in the manga as it is in the anime. He wants to use the Super Dragon Balls to wish for a giant boat that would cost too much money to buy.
      Funny enough, in the anime, #17 also remakes that he owes a certain someone something and decided to join the team, and then remarks what wish he'll grant with the Super Dragon Balls. But he doesn't actually refer to who the person that owes is. But he does ask if Krillin, who he refers to as his brother, is on the team, so it may be him he's referring to.
      It's most likely the same thing then, since he doesn't tell Goku who it is in the manga either, we have the flashback to tell us this
      If the flashback was in the anime then it'd make the alien plot pointless motivation, so I'd see why they didn't mention who

JulianStyles
      Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Well we see in the manga Krillin is out of shape ex fighter. No into the woods to regain his fighting spirit. Goku was not excited to recruit him. More excited for 18. No solar flare ×100. Its clear to see why Krillin would be first out in the tournament. Its really pathetic that Toei hyped this character up so much for no reason. They threw power scale out thw window. So many more productive story lines could have happened than the three filler episodes of Krillin.

perucho1990
      I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:35 pm

Toei cant do much when they are restricted by Toriyamas outline.

Hawk9211
      OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:38 am

[spoiler][/spoiler]
      perucho1990 wrote:Toei cant do much when they are restricted by Toriyamas outline.
      No,they can.We have seen it with hit and black arc.There is also nothing stopping them to ask toriyama to change the outline for a better story,he has already said that he does not mind it.If toyotaro can do that so can toei.
      Why power levels are important?
      The genre and roots of dragon ball

sintzu
      Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:15 am

LightBing wrote:I'm curious how the manga will tackle the recent anime development.

In the manga Goku and Vegeta are equals, there's no need for catching up.
      There's nothing to handle cause they are equals. I think the reason he's getting this power up is because Toriyama's outline says they fight as equals but Toei messed that up by introducing the Kaioken so early, something that wasn't in Toriyama's plot so they're having to go around it now.
      July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Miracles
      I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:20 am

Hawk9211 wrote:[spoiler][/spoiler]
      perucho1990 wrote:Toei cant do much when they are restricted by Toriyamas outline.
      No,they can.We have seen it with hit and black arc.There is also nothing stopping them to ask toriyama to change the outline for a better story,he has already said that he does not mind it.If toyotaro can do that so can toei.
      Toyotaro and TOEI are on record stating that they do not change Toriyama's outline. Both groups stories get from A to B as Toriyama laid it down.
      They only can suggest changes but are allowed to fill in the details in Toriyama's outline.

People like to pretend Toriyama is non existent and TOEI and Toyotaro are just freelancing his series.
      Seems like an agenda to pretend that the anime and manga aren't the same story just cause it hurts their fav characters power levels.

JazzMazz
      I Live Here
      Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:44 am

Miracles wrote:
      Toyotaro and TOEI are on record stating that they do not change Toriyama's outline. Both groups stories get from A to B as Toriyama laid it down.
      They only can suggest changes but are allowed to fill in the details in Toriyama's outline.

People like to pretend Toriyama is non existent and TOEI and Toyotaro are just freelancing his series.
      Seems like an agenda to pretend that the anime and manga aren't the same story just cause it hurts their fav characters power levels.
      But, there are noticeable differences. For example, the manga doesn't have Kuririn's return to form before the tournament. Though its more than safe to say they follow the same outline, I think its also safe to say that Toei and Toyotaro interpret the outline in different ways, which is why there are a lot of glaring differences in the portrayal of the characters between the anime and the manga.

Miracles
      I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:07 am

JazzMazz wrote:
      Miracles wrote:

But, there are noticeable differences. For example, the manga doesn't have Kuririn's return to form before the tournament. Though its more than safe to say they follow the same outline, I think its also safe to say that Toei and Toyotaro interpret the outline in different ways, which is why there are a lot of glaring differences in the portrayal of the characters between the anime and the manga.
      Did the tournament begin already in the manga? People are already "interpreting" Krillin not getting in shape. Just like many jumped the gun on the gods and Kaioshin being a set "manga only." Here comes Toei later with the same plot.

JulianStyles
      Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 am

Miracles wrote:
      JazzMazz wrote:
      Miracles wrote: Toyotaro and TOEI are on record stating that they do not change Toriyama's outline. Both groups stories get from A to B as Toriyama laid it down.

Did the tournament begin already in the manga? People are already "interpreting" Krillin not getting in shape. Just like many jumped the gun on the gods and Kaioshin being a set "manga only." Here comes Toei later with the same plot.
      Its a logical interpretation. Toei hyped up Krillin with 2 episodes if him regaining his power and conquering fear. Remember those power glowing fist he had? Then the episode where they choosing the fighters. Goku is so insistent that Krillin is a top guy to get. Then next episode. Have Krillin ring out Gohan under the same "I cant see, I cant sense" circumstances he just won under. On to Krillin vs Goku. Forcing him SS. Then a SSB beam clash.

Everyone and their mother predicted Krillin would go far in the tournament. The Anime kept hammering home strategy over strength. Right or wrong?

Then to have Krillin go out in the 2nd full episode of the arc. Doesnt make sense. Clearly follow an outline. What they do in between in a cluster inconsistent show. Akiras outline Krillin not training or not into training and has gotten soft. Because thats been a theme of his since BOG even Buu saga. What else is in Akiras outline is in which order the characters are eliminated in. So when the manga gets to that point it would be a build up of what made sense.