Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basako
Advanced Regular

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by Basako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Basako wrote:
Overlord78 wrote: Toyotaro is absolutely not a great writer. He is mediocre at the very best and that's me being generous.
I don't agree with you. He has shown a very high quality chapter after chapter, with a superior storytelling comparing with the anime from the same origin plot lines. He is awesome.
He fails to under the basic idea of tension and development. You do not have your villain beat down for an entire chapter like a chump, give him a boost and think that's job done and now a few chapters later the same villain is being beaten like a chump again. Not good storytelling at all. Again he "censored" Black compared the anime by having Bulma be killed off screen. Instead of building this villain up he opts to elongate a flashback and have the crew play video games. Trunks relationship are severely lacking any sort of development like he had in the anime. Anime had Goku and Zamasu have at least some sort of personal connection hence why that fight on the Kioshin planet kepy re-occuring in flashblack it was drove him. Back to tension he had Beerus just wipe Zamasu wheras as in the anime they build it up and showed his intent to kill Gowasu.

Now in this latest chapter Goku and Vegeta aren't even full power thus again getting rid of any tension and making the villains a former of their anime counterparts and then the icing on the cake is his obsession with SSG leading to some really downright awful writing. Not only that he's made the gag scenes a lot worse, Goku and kiss thing was completely blunt in the Manga and the seal thing made Goku look like a right knob compared to the anime where the kissing thing could be interpreted differently and Roshi didn't give him the seal.

Toyo seems to be lack the basic understanding of villains. And how to properly use and develop them. What somes it up for me is the first real fights, Black completely destroyed Vegeta thus showing he is not to be underestimated and feared, Manga he gets his ass beat by Vegeta showing he's us this guy is just a chump. Difference is uncanny.

At least Toyo's art is good. And more consistent then the anime.
I think Vegeta beating Black in the first place was fine. It's good to see an enemy having to develop in a similar way the saiyans do for a change. What I didn't like was SS Black beating SSB after the boost, if he had done that with the rose, it would have been fixed.

Same now, remember Black and Zamasu need a reason to fuse, if they can defeat them separately, there is no point in doing that. I think this will be like the anime, Zamasu is the one more worried because he struggles with the Mafuba, so he is the one proposing the fusion. And Vegeta has trained in the RoSaT, so a power boost is justified too. Is it a lot? Maybe, but it's not gratuitous.

And there's been good tension, for example, two chapters ago we had Black about to kill Trunks. For those who say Trunks does nothing, he was crucial there. Also, Black stabbing Gowasu, after he thought he was convincing him and how he tells him then how he killed him two times before, that was a masterpiece.
Heno heno kappa!

Overlord78
Beyond Newbie

Post by Overlord78 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Basako wrote:
Overlord78 wrote:
Basako wrote:
Sorry, I meant SSRage, corrected.

The manga hasn't got any of that awful ideas. The latest chapter has nothing wrong. He just has some power level inconsistencies, but that's like a constant in all DB and the anime is worse in that too. Toyotaro is a great writer.
Toyotaro is absolutely not a great writer. He is mediocre at the very best and that's me being generous.
I don't agree with you. He has shown a very high quality chapter after chapter, with a superior storytelling comparing with the anime from the same origin plot lines. He is awesome.
You don't have to agree with me. The only thing of high quality in these chapters is the art and that's it. Comparing a dogshit manga to a god awful anime is barely a good comparison when both versions suck.

Toyotaro fails to make this story engaging and entertaining for me. The manga's storytelling is better than the anime's, trunks not asspulling his way to relevancy is a plus for the manga but holy shit is it boring. The anime at least had me entertained with some of the fights and filler even if most episodes suck but the only time the manga even had me remotely interested was Goku bringing back SSG. On its own the Super manga is boring mediocre mess with the art being the only positive. It's barely better than the anime and that's mainly because it didn't have one the worst arcs in Dragon Ball (ROF)

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Overlord78 wrote:
Basako wrote:
Overlord78 wrote: Toyotaro is absolutely not a great writer. He is mediocre at the very best and that's me being generous.
You don't have to agree with me. The only thing of high quality in these chapters is the art and that's it. Comparing a dogshit manga to a god awful anime is barely a good comparison when both versions suck.

Toyotaro fails to make this story engaging and entertaining for me and the manga's storytelling is better than the anime's, trunks not asspulling his way to relevancy is a plus for the manga but holy shit is it boring. The anime at least had me entertained with some of the fights and filler even if most episodes suck but the only time the manga even had me remotely interested was Goku bringing back SSG. On its own the Super manga is boring mediocre mess with the art being the only positive. It's barely better than the anime and that's mainly because it didn't have one the worst arcs in Dragon Ball (ROF)
Yeah, I don't have to agree with you, I don't. The art is great and the storytelling too. He makes the fights look great, he is able to introduce explanations about many things and characters behave as they are.

Toyotaro doesn't fail in making the story entertaining, it still is, although the anime being first takes all the glory, the manga has not the element of surprise. The Manga is not boring neither mediocre, it is awesome and better than the anime in many things until now. On its own it would do great too, although the nature of the medium will always move less viewers than an anime, that was also with Toriyama, although the anime quality was higher then too. In this case more because the anime is released earlier, which goes against the Manga, not in favour.

Toyotaro's manga has found ways to be entertaining and interesting always. For example by introducing Champa and Vados during the Beerus arc, showing Beerus and Champa fighting or the awesome flashback of Trunks against Dabra. All this without forgetting the main plots which he successfully told. The pity is that for production reasons he rushed the first arc and skipped the second, but what he showed about them was flawless.
Heno heno kappa!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Basako wrote:The pity is that for production reasons he rushed the first arc and skipped the second, but what he showed about them was flawless.
I wouldn't call it much of a pity. Those two arcs were already told in the movies, they didn't need repeating in the first place. The manga's Battle of Gods arc feels more like a recap of the film, with some added bits to foreshadow the upcoming tournament arc, and some altered minutia. The real pity about the production is the rushed ending to the tournament arc and the reveal of Black's identity.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Regardless of the manga being mediocre, I see it as a more tolerable alternative. Toei has destroyed my enjoyment towards the anime with its shit music scores (aside from really four tracks), art and animation, lack of impact in fighting which was one of the reasons what made Z such a phenomenon, inconsistent power-scaling, etc.

Or maybe because I've never been an anime fan as I've been a fan of manga in general. Either way.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:24 pm

The anime has been holding more of my interest as both versions progressed. I have little to no interest left in the manga, and the storytelling while more consistent, isn't as engaging to me and is downright boring. On the flip side, it gets major points for no having Trunks asspull his way to the top, giving better explanations, and having a better flow. Regardless of that though, I feel nothing from a majority of the characters in the manga and it gives me little incentive to invest in any of the characters. The anime has had some pretty low moments that really bring it down a lot of the time, but it's highs I find to be far better than the manga's high points (for example, Goku raging on Black and Zamasu or Zamasu's hatred for Goku and further descent into darkness).
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:39 pm

the manga is a waste of time.
they should pay for toyo to help toriyama and toei keep the anime more consistent story and other things wise instead wasting time on a shitty paced monthly manga.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Looks like I was right after all.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:11 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Looks like I was right after all.
About what?
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:24 pm

TheMathemagician wrote:
About what?
About the SSGod thing. Looks like it really is straight up Vegeta using SSGod while briefly flashing into Blue while he attacks. Honestly, Black sucks so badly in the manga version.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:29 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
TheMathemagician wrote:
About what?
About the SSGod thing. Looks like it really is straight up Vegeta using SSGod while briefly flashing into Blue while he attacks. Honestly, Black sucks so badly in the manga version.
Yeah, Manga Black is pretty damn horrible I completely agree with that.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Gog wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Remember how God Goku was a 6 to Beerus' 10? Good luck and God fucking speed trying to make THAT work with anything from Super.
It's simple really, the '6' is Goku's full potential. He just has to train to get the full power of SSG, something which will take him years and years to accomplish.

Also for the thread;

I enjoy the anime, and I like Black's character in the anime...So my answer should be obvious.
Doesn't work. F the arc points out that Goku & Vegeta have surpassed the power of SSGod by attaining Blue and with KK and the ridiculous strength gains of the Black arc, you can't make the 6-10-15 scale work with the new material, it's impossible.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:56 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Gog wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Remember how God Goku was a 6 to Beerus' 10? Good luck and God fucking speed trying to make THAT work with anything from Super.
It's simple really, the '6' is Goku's full potential. He just has to train to get the full power of SSG, something which will take him years and years to accomplish.

Also for the thread;

I enjoy the anime, and I like Black's character in the anime...So my answer should be obvious.
Doesn't work. F the arc points out that Goku & Vegeta have surpassed the power of SSGod by attaining Blue and with KK and the ridiculous strength gains of the Black arc, you can't make the 6-10-15 scale work with the new material, it's impossible.
Perhaps he may be a 6 to Beerus 10, but what is the gap between the 6 and the 10? Maybe it's absolutely massive? Maybe the difference between 6 and 10 is a ten times increase in power?

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:58 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Gog wrote:

Also for the thread;

They're actually orders of magnitude. Beerus is 10,000x stronger than Goku and Whis is 100,000x stronger than Beerus.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:00 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:They're actually orders of magnitude. Beerus is 10,000x stronger than Goku and Whis is 100,000x stronger than Beerus.
Could you elaborate on this?
Gog wrote:Perhaps he may be a 6 to Beerus 10, but what is the gap between the 6 and the 10? Maybe it's absolutely massive? Maybe the difference between 6 and 10 is a ten times increase in power?
F the movie implies it's a linear scale back when it was introduced since Goku & Vegeta teaming up can give them enough joint strength to beat Beerus. There's also the fact the 70% line was dropped and Beerus was revealed to be lying about his power throughout his entire fight with Goku. There's just too much evidence against the scale counting anymore, it's gone.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:02 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:They're actually orders of magnitude. Beerus is 10,000x stronger than Goku and Whis is 100,000x stronger than Beerus.
Gog wrote:Perhaps he may be a 6 to Beerus 10, but what is the gap between the 6 and the 10? Maybe it's absolutely massive? Maybe the difference between 6 and 10 is a ten times increase in power?
F the movie implies it's a linear scale back when it was introduced since Goku & Vegeta teaming up can give them enough joint strength to beat Beerus. There's also the fact the 70% line was dropped and Beerus was revealed to be lying about his power throughout his entire fight with Goku. There's just too much evidence against the scale counting anymore, it's gone.
Yeah I know the scale is gone. It's just that I took you're statement of it being impossible to fit in with Super as a sort of challenge.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:06 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Basically it works like scientific notation, ie: 10,000,000 * 10^X where you'd substitute their number value for X.

So Goku would be 10,000,000 * 10^6 = 10,000,000,000,000/10 trillion

Beerus would be 10,000,000 * 10^10 = 100,000,000,000,000,000/100 quadrillion

Whis would be 10,000,000 * 10^15 = 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000/10 sextillion

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:09 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Basically it works like scientific notation, ie: 10,000,000 * 10^X where you'd substitute their number value for X.

But but but but this is a kids show!!!

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:10 pm

TheMikado wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Could you elaborate on this?

But but but but this is a kids show!!!
It's mostly a joke, I really doubt Whis is even 10x stronger than Beerus.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:26 pm

I'll tell you one thing the anime has done better at least. They made Trunks worthwhile.

In the anime he fought against Super Saiyan Rose Black and Zamasu. He obtained the Super Saiyan Rage form and fought even more and held them off. He was the onewhi used the mafuba on Zamasu.

He did go on to power up further and have a go at Merged Zamasu and then of course defeated him.

In the manga he's barely done squat. He held them off for a little while but not in a exciting badass way like he did in the anime. He instead got his ass kicked ass and was sorta bailed out by Gowasu.

Without the Rage form I doubt he'll have his moment against Merged Zamasu. If for whatever reason Vegito beats him in this version then Trunks will have done absolutely nothing.