Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basako
Advanced Regular

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by Basako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:02 am

Doctor. wrote:
Basako wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Being Toriyama approved don't make them good ideas.
I didn't say that, it's just something I wanted to point out. What I see is that the anime is the one full of awful ideas, not the Manga.
They both have awful ideas because the problem is Toriyama's ideas, not the manga exclusive or anime exclusive ones.
Toriyama's ideas are fine, but the development is different, way better in the manga.

The anime brings us things like SSRage, clones of Black, holes in the sky, last minute learning of the Mafuba, dragon auras and so on. I haven't seen such terrible writing in the Manga.

The manga also does better job in explaining things, better battles and better pacing.
Last edited by Basako on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heno heno kappa!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:04 am

Basako wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Basako wrote:
I didn't say that, it's just something I wanted to point out. What I see is that the anime is the one full of awful ideas, not the Manga.
They both have awful ideas because the problem is Toriyama's ideas, not the manga exclusive or anime exclusive ones.
Toriyama's ideas are fine, but the development is different, way better in the manga.

The anime brings us things like SSR, clones of Black, holes in the sky, last minute learning of the Mafuba, dragon auras and so on. I haven't seen such terrible writing in the Manga.

The manga also does better job in explaining things, better battles and better pacing.
SSR is in the manga.

And the manga is full of terrible writing, look at the latest chapter for instance, Toyotaro is a terrible writer.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:05 am

Doctor. wrote: They both have awful ideas because the problem is Toriyama's ideas, not the manga exclusive or anime exclusive ones.
I'm kinda curious, how would you rate the the manga and the anime from 1-10?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:08 am

zamasu121 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: They both have awful ideas because the problem is Toriyama's ideas, not the manga exclusive or anime exclusive ones.
I don't like number ratings anymore, but a 5.5 for both seems fair enough. The manga is slightly better anyway because it doesn't have the movie retellings or filler weighing it down.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 am

Doctor. wrote:
zamasu121 wrote:
I don't like number ratings anymore, but a 5.5 for both seems fair enough. The manga is slightly better anyway because it doesn't have the movie retellings or filler weighing it down.
pretty much the same rating as me except i think the manga is a slightly worse due to the ft arc.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 am

Doctor. wrote:
zamasu121 wrote:
the hell?

The filler is the saving grace for this show.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 am

Totamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
zamasu121 wrote:
the hell?

I was thinking more-so about the Copy Vegeta arc.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:20 am

Doctor. wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote: I don't like number ratings anymore, but a 5.5 for both seems fair enough. The manga is slightly better anyway because it doesn't have the movie retellings or filler weighing it down.
the hell?

those were 3 episodes out of several.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:22 am

Totamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Totamo wrote: the hell?

those were 3 episodes out of several.
3 terrible episodes out of several mediocre filler episodes which happen to have a few gems here and there.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:26 am

TheMikado wrote:
Totamo wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Gogeta actually makes sense though... It really does.. and the Super 17 arc was all about old villains returning literally they contained it to a single arc that was only a few episodes long. You would be hard pressed to find anyone that thinks the Super 17 arc is representative of the entire series.
Who said fanservice can't make sense?

Fanservice are things that have no relevance to the plot and are only their for fans.
What better option did they have besides merging into Gogeta? Gogeta was plot relevant, it was they're trump card and not sure it can be called fan service if it's never been done in the series before.
Did Gogeta defeat omega or was it a repeat of the buu saga?

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:29 am

Totamo wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Totamo wrote: Who said fanservice can't make sense?

Fanservice are things that have no relevance to the plot and are only their for fans.
What better option did they have besides merging into Gogeta? Gogeta was plot relevant, it was they're trump card and not sure it can be called fan service if it's never been done in the series before.
Did Gogeta defeat omega or was it a repeat of the buu saga?
Didn't help matters that gogeta personally was recton into vegito 2.0

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 am

Doctor. wrote:
Basako wrote:

The anime brings us things like SSR, clones of Black, holes in the sky, last minute learning of the Mafuba, dragon auras and so on. I haven't seen such terrible writing in the Manga.

SSR is in the manga.

And the manga is full of terrible writing, look at the latest chapter for instance, Toyotaro is a terrible writer.
Sorry, I meant SSRage, corrected.

The manga hasn't got any of that awful ideas. The latest chapter has nothing wrong. He just has some power level inconsistencies, but that's like a constant in all DB and the anime is worse in that too. Toyotaro is a great writer.
Heno heno kappa!

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:11 am

Basako wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Basako wrote:

SSR is in the manga.

The manga hasn't got any of that awful ideas. The latest chapter has nothing wrong. He just has some power level inconsistencies, but that's like a constant in all DB and the anime is worse in that too. Toyotaro is a great writer.
sure like bringing ssg again was a good idea,I'm gonna wait,if there gonna bother explaining,if not I'm calling bad writing.And I wouldn't say if he is a good writer,he is just average IMO
Mostly active on discord.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:24 am

The gr wrote:
Basako wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
SSR is in the manga.

sure like bringing ssg again was a good idea,I'm gonna wait,if there gonna bother explaining,if not I'm calling bad writing.And I wouldn't say if he is a good writer,he is just average IMO
Yeah, I think having SSG as another transformation is good idea. Maybe Toriyama told him to go with that, as he realized the SSGSS or SSB wouldn't make much sense without retconning that first. SSG is a saiyan using god ki and SSB is a saiyan using god ki in SS form.
Heno heno kappa!

Overlord78
Beyond Newbie

Post by Overlord78 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:59 am

Basako wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Basako wrote:

SSR is in the manga.

Toyotaro is absolutely not a great writer. He is mediocre at the very best and that's me being generous.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Overlord78 wrote:
Basako wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
SSR is in the manga.

Toyotaro is absolutely not a great writer. He is mediocre at the very best and that's me being generous.
I don't agree with you. He has shown a very high quality chapter after chapter, with a superior storytelling comparing with the anime from the same origin plot lines. He is awesome.
Heno heno kappa!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Basako wrote:
Overlord78 wrote:
Basako wrote:

I don't agree with you. He has shown a very high quality chapter after chapter, with a superior storytelling comparing with the anime from the same origin plot lines. He is awesome.
In terms of keeping the power scaling less wonky, yeah, he's good in that department. But when it comes to actually make the story engaging and developing the characters properly, no. Toyotaro is not so good in that area.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Basako wrote:
Overlord78 wrote:
Basako wrote:

He fails to under the basic idea of tension and development. You do not have your villain beat down for an entire chapter like a chump, give him a boost and think that's job done and now a few chapters later the same villain is being beaten like a chump again. Not good storytelling at all. Again he "censored" Black compared the anime by having Bulma be killed off screen. Instead of building this villain up he opts to elongate a flashback and have the crew play video games. Trunks relationship are severely lacking any sort of development like he had in the anime. Anime had Goku and Zamasu have at least some sort of personal connection hence why that fight on the Kioshin planet kepy re-occuring in flashblack it was drove him. Back to tension he had Beerus just wipe Zamasu wheras as in the anime they build it up and showed his intent to kill Gowasu.

Now in this latest chapter Goku and Vegeta aren't even full power thus again getting rid of any tension and making the villains a former of their anime counterparts and then the icing on the cake is his obsession with SSG leading to some really downright awful writing. Not only that he's made the gag scenes a lot worse, Goku and kiss thing was completely blunt in the Manga and the seal thing made Goku look like a right knob compared to the anime where the kissing thing could be interpreted differently and Roshi didn't give him the seal.

Toyo seems to be lack the basic understanding of villains. And how to properly use and develop them. What somes it up for me is the first real fights, Black completely destroyed Vegeta thus showing he is not to be underestimated and feared, Manga he gets his ass beat by Vegeta showing he's us this guy is just a chump. Difference is uncanny.

At least Toyo's art is good. And more consistent then the anime.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:31 pm

I actually liked Vegeta's beat down of Black. Tons of people hated it, but I could really care less tbh. I found it good, it kept me entertained, it showed Black using SSJ, and the fighting was pretty cool IMO.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Basako wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Basako wrote:

SSR is in the manga.

Can some send me a link to the full translated copy??? Heck I'll even take the untranslated version since some of you have apparently seen it already?? Anyone? Anyone?