Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by LightBing » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 am

A place to discuss why you think one medium is better than the other and why. The main weakness and strengths of each format.
How much better it would be if they fused together(Pun intended). Etc...

This thread has become a necessity, it seems comparisons are always being brought up and detour or take over other topics. Discuss away!

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 am

The anime is infinitely superior to the manga because Vegeta did not get SSGod.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:53 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:The anime is infinitely superior to the manga because Vegeta did not get SSGod.
And this is why no real true discussion can be had..

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks you,it was necessary making a thread for this topic, because the comparison of manga and anime was taking half of the discussion thread

To me the weakness of the manga is how underwhelming black is when compared to his anime counterpart,the lack of tension in some chapter and when toyoraro explain things,it just make my head scratch, example: Bulma weird time travel explanation.But I do think if we fuse both version we will get a great product, because the manga handled gowasu,the supreme Kai and kibito Better than there anime counterpart, cabba transformation, goku characterization, gotenks going ssj3 and they explain some things like how SS rose is possible,but the anime handled things better than it counterpart like trunks depression,a better villain, breather/, slice of Life episode because it helps to slow down the series a bit the only breather moment we have for the manga is go kart and the first chap, and is memorable and a bit more entertaining despite the flaws.
    so in short a perfect version of Super is a fusion between both products, because​ if the anime Never existed,the manga would feel so half baked without it and vice versa
    Last edited by The gr on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Mostly active on discord.

Nekis13
    Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:18 am

I like both the anime and manga, but I prefer the anime because things are a bit more drawn out (Even though they're rushed at the same time???)

Both mediums of Super have done weird stuff. Anime has SSRage, SSBKK and personally has handled Goku Black better than the manga. The manga has much better usage of SSG and that strange rule with SSB. The Manga kinda comes off as boring in my opinion, it seems rushed when comparing how many battles the anime has and the fact that it's monthly makes me lose hype for it. Meanwhile, the anime does so much crazy shit it actually suffers from it.

Those are my two cents I guess.
    stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

LightBing
    I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:The anime is infinitely superior to the manga because Vegeta did not get SSGod.
    Care to elaborate? Or are just making fun of this? Either way, I expect more of Kanzenshuu than one-liners.
    The gr wrote:Thanks you,it was necessary making a thread for this topic, because the comparison of manga and anime was taking half of the discussion thread

To me the weakness of the manga is how underwhelming black is when compared to his anime counterpart,the lack of tension in some chapter and when toyoraro explain things,it just make my head scratch, example: Bulma weird time travel explanation.But I do think if we fuse both version we will get a great product, because the manga handled gowasu,the supreme Kai and kibito Better than there anime counterpart, cabba transformation, goku characterization, gotenks going ssj3 and they explain some things like how SS rose is possible,but the anime handled things better than it counterpart like trunks depression,a better villain, breather/, slice of Life episode because it helps to slow down the series a bit the only breather moment we have for the manga is go kart and the first chap, and is memorable.
      so in short a perfect version of Super is a fusion between both products, because​ if the anime Never existed,the manga would feel so half baked without it and vice versa
      That's fair. One weakness from the manga is that we already know what's going to happen, for the most part. It's a bit like watching the arc for the second time. I feel the lack of tension stems from this.

I agree that a fusion of both products would provides us with a much better Super.

TheUltimateNinja
      I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:31 am

LightBing wrote:
      Care to elaborate? Or are just making fun of this? Either way, I expect more of Kanzenshuu than one-liners.
      I suppose your expectations are a bit too high. Anyway, it's totally pointless. There is no reason for Vegeta to have this form, especially since Herms said that he uses SSBlue the instant he attacks, which completely contradicts the U6 arc by the way.

Furthermore, it creates powerscaling problems. If Vegeta has this all along, why didn't he use it against Hit? The only explanation is that it's weaker than 10% of SSBlue, but that doesn't make sense because SSGod Goku was stronger than Vegeta, and even if that's the case, it would mean Vegeta became well over 10x stronger since he was getting destroyed by SSJ Black, but now he's able to make a joke of SSRose Black in a form that's over 10x weaker.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33 am

LightBing wrote:
      The gr wrote:Thanks you,it was necessary making a thread for this topic, because the comparison of manga and anime was taking half of the discussion thread

To me the weakness of the manga is how underwhelming black is when compared to his anime counterpart,the lack of tension in some chapter and when toyoraro explain things,it just make my head scratch, example: Bulma weird time travel explanation.But I do think if we fuse both version we will get a great product, because the manga handled gowasu,the supreme Kai and kibito Better than there anime counterpart, cabba transformation, goku characterization, gotenks going ssj3 and they explain some things like how SS rose is possible,but the anime handled things better than it counterpart like trunks depression,a better villain, breather/, slice of Life episode because it helps to slow down the series a bit the only breather moment we have for the manga is go kart and the first chap, and is memorable.
        That's fair. One weakness from the manga is that we already know what's going to happen, for the most part. It's a bit like watching the arc for the second time. I feel the lack of tension stems from this.

I agree that a fusion of both products would provides us with a much better Super.
        Yeah that could be the case of the lack of tension, but goku was dominating hit In his figth,I didn't felt the tension,hell even if the manga was ahead I would be complaining the lack of tension anyway.A fusion between both products is totally a good idea
        Mostly active on discord.

ConfusedPhantom
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:35 am

Oh, man, Super would have been an infinitely better product if Toei, Toyotaro and Toriyama actually worked together. But, alas. : /

I think the manga's strongest asset is probably it's characters. Especially Goku. Yeah, some dumb jokes are still in there, but his goofiness isn't amped up to 11 in the manga. He acts much more like you would expect Toriyama to write him. I do like that it also takes time to explain things, as well. Toyotaro also does a lot more interesting things with the art than Toei does.

The anime does seeem favor a lot more on the "cool factor." They tend to pull out transformations and techniques out of nowhere. Kaioken Blue, SSJ Rage, Genki Dama Sword, etc. But, I think the only one that really benefited from that was Goku Black. The whole reaper portrayal and Masako Nozawa's performances elevated the character.

perucho1990
        I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:02 am

The best thing the manga has done better than the anime is the treatment of Gokus character (until what happened in the last chapter).

When it comes to Power Levels and the rest of characters characterization is no better than the likes of Bleach and Fairy Tail.

Baggie_Saiyan
        Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 am

Up until the Black arc I was enjoying the Manga as much / better. But the Black arc hasn't been great, the anime had so much tension they built the villain up so good instead Toyo wants to elongate a flashback and play video games. Big example is the fact that Vegeta jobbed Black a couple of chapters ago...and is doing the same a mere few chapters. That's not how you build up a villain at all, in the anime it took Black until the moment they fused to finally get jobbed.

Also Trunks feel like a background here in his own arc, we spent a lot time with him in the anime, we saw his relationship with various people develop.

Oh and the whole Black mastery was completely ruined/wasted. And the anime had the personal-ish connection between Zamasu and Goku with their fight on U10.

Overall very disappointed in Toyo's writing this arc, art is good though. You can easily tell he was a fan fic writer.

Neo-Makaiōshin
        I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Main weakness of the DBSuper manga is up until the Future Trunks Arc the storytelling developed in a format of "plot points check listing". Tied to the previous problem was the oversimplification of some plot developments (worst offender being the BoG arc, where some story bits where done in either a single panel or 1 page), handwaving the RoF happening of screen on the Champa Arc.

Currently on the Future Trunks Arc another weakness of the manga is the downplay of Zamasu´s motivation trigger and Goku Black not being threatening enough. Zamasu reinforcement of his disgust torwards mortals by watching a GodTube video of Goku fighting was imo lame, Goku fairly beating him in a sparring match was a better and more effective way of making Zamasu seeing mortals as dangerous. While currently Goku Black is making a come back from the beatdown he got, that execuse that before we got to that point he was underwhelmed as a threat, the anime did a much better job by making Black kicking Goku and Vegeta asses before they returned to the future to do pay back with Black.
        Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Araki
        Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Up until the Black arc I was enjoying the Manga as much / better. But the Black arc hasn't been great, the anime had so much tension they built the villain up so good instead Toyo wants to elongate a flashback and play video games. Big example is the fact that Vegeta jobbed Black a couple of chapters ago...and is doing the same a mere few chapters. That's not how you build up a villain at all, in the anime it took Black until the moment they fused to finally get jobbed.

Also Trunks feel like a background here in his own arc, we spent a lot time with him in the anime, we saw his relationship with various people develop.

Oh and the whole Black mastery was completely ruined/wasted. And the anime had the personal-ish connection between Zamasu and Goku with their fight on U10.

Overall very disappointed in Toyo's writing this arc, art is good though. You can easily tell he was a fan fic writer.
        Yeah, i keep saying from day one how Toyotaro is a mediocre, unexperienced mangaka and a worse storyteller who can't build a narrative to save his life, and in the Black arc that's becoming painfully more apparent, thanks to the fact more and more of his own ideas are obviously making their way in, and doing the manga deliberately different - which, to be fair, he was probably told to do.
        But his composition is far below the average compared to successful manga artists, and his art is actually getting worse in the last few chapters. Take this or this, for instance. It looks hilariously terrible. And can anyone teach him how to draw a neck, please?

In a more serious note, i think the only reason some people believe a character like Goku is better in the manga is only because the manga lacks time and consequently exposition, so we barely see the characters out of fights, which is also a big minus in my book. It's fight after fight with no build up to anything. And that's also part of the reason why Trunks looks like a cardboard guest in his own arc. In the anime we could actually feel for his shitty life, but here? The problems with manga Black or Zamasu's motivations were pointed out to death over the past few months, so i'm gonna skip those and other known issues.

But i can't give the SSG shit a pass: it was bad and nonsensical when Goku used it against Hit already, but now with all the crap surrounding Vegeta in this last chapter, it reached a new level of absurdity that i fail to find words to explain. It's all so incredibly stupid and full of holes. And i'm pretty sure if this happened in the anime, most of the same people who liked it would call "a terrible decision" and claim it was Toei's idea to sell merchandising.

ChaosLordBrandon
        Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:38 pm

perucho1990 wrote:The best thing the manga has done better than the anime is the treatment of Gokus character (until what happened in the last chapter).

When it comes to Power Levels and the rest of characters characterization is no better than the likes of Bleach and Fairy Tail.
        I would say the super manga is way worse than bleach or fariy tail mangas. What makes it worse is how overrated it is. I saw some people were saying it was better than the man One Piece manga in the forneverworld comment section once :lol:

The only character that was actually better in the manga in than the anime, was Goku. that is completely gone with this lastest chapter.

Is it even possblie to call Black and Zamasu characters in the manga? Doors are more interesting characters than their manga counter parts personalities.

TheMathemagician
        OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Manga's story tends to flow better imo and seems to be more consistent like with Goku's character. Not to mention it doesn't have nearly as many low points as the anime does. With that said, I feel that while the anime can be more inconsistent with stuff like Goku's character, it consistently gives Goku's character better moments than he does in the manga (and I'm not just talking about the "cool" moments either). Like the anime gives me Goku having great moments with Gohan, Goten, Maron, and Pan (an episode dedicated to this). I can't say the manga necessarily handles Goku better. The manga's explanations tend to make more sense but I find the manga version not as fun and engaging as the anime version. Then there's the problems with how Hit was never really much in the manga, and Manga Black is an incredibly bland and boring villain. Both were better characters in the anime to me. Overall, I've enjoyed both but I've been finding myself liking the anime more than the manga. I'll reserve my full judgment of the manga's recent chapter until it comes out, but the manga might go down a bit more so if Goku really never fights Black and if Trunks (glad he never got the BS power ups like he did in the anime but he's pretty much been sidelined for the most part in a saga that's officially named after him) just gets the treatment he got in the Cell Saga.
        "Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

Baggie_Saiyan
        Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Araki wrote:
        Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Up until the Black arc I was enjoying the Manga as much / better. But the Black arc hasn't been great, the anime had so much tension they built the villain up so good instead Toyo wants to elongate a flashback and play video games. Big example is the fact that Vegeta jobbed Black a couple of chapters ago...and is doing the same a mere few chapters. That's not how you build up a villain at all, in the anime it took Black until the moment they fused to finally get jobbed.

Yeah, i keep saying from day one how Toyotaro is a mediocre, unexperienced mangaka and a worse storyteller who can't build a narrative to save his life, and in the Black arc that's becoming painfully more apparent, thanks to the fact more and more of his own ideas are obviously making their way in, and doing the manga deliberately different - which, to be fair, he was probably told to do.
        But his composition is far below the average compared to successful manga artists, and his art is actually getting worse in the last few chapters. Can anyone teach him how to draw a neck, please?

In a more serious note, i think the only reason some people believe a character like Goku is better in the manga is only because the manga lacks time and consequently exposition, so we barely see the characters out of fights, which is also a big minus in my book. It's fight after fight with no build up to anything. And that's also part of the reason why Trunks looks like a cardboard guest in his own arc. In the anime we could actually feel for his shitty life, but here? The problems with manga Black or Zamasu's motivations were pointed out to death over the past few months, so i'm gonna skip those and other known issues.

But i can't give the SSG shit a pass: it was bad and nonsensical when Goku used it against Hit already, but now with all the crap surrounding Vegeta in this last chapter, it reached a new level of absurdity that i fail to find words to explain. It's all so incredibly stupid and full of holes. And i'm pretty sure if this happened in the anime, most of the same people who liked it would call "a terrible decision" and claim it was Toei's idea to sell merchandising.
        Red flags started showing up when he changed BoG, Toriyama made it a big deal to have Goku and Beerus end the fight in regular SS but ever since the end of U6 it does seem he is deviating a lot on to be different, whether this is on him or not doesn't matter he is the one who is writing it.

It is frustrating as I love his art but the writing is letting him down badly, he is letting is fanboying get to him, it is obvious with how Vegeta is jobbing Black in the space of a few chapters, changing the whole SSG thing, giving Vegeta a new but old form when Trunks is right there, Vegeta doesn't need SSG what is the damn point.

Plus he has handled this dumb gaggy moments way worse than the anime. The kissing thing can be interpreted differently in anime unlike the Manga and Roshi didn't give Goku the seal wheras in the Manga Goku legitimately picked up the wrong thing and you are right the anime has portrayed Goku fine when he fights and that is all the Toyo's Goku seems to be doing, if anything the evidence suggests that Toyo will handle the SoL Goku a lot worse! The last chapter was pretty great and that is why I am so mad, argh.

Shinda Forever
        Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:51 pm

The Manga heavily contradicts the anime which is the real canon in this case, therefore, i see the manga as a filler with saiyajin fanboyism without limits.
        Toyataro thinks he is writing dbgt all over again. It is sad.
        In my opinion, the manga is just pointless and actually, i intended to buy it, but, since i saw the ridiculous contradictions he was doing i just gave up.

ChaosLordBrandon
        Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Araki wrote:

But his composition is far below the average compared to successful manga artists, and his art is actually getting worse in the last few chapters. Take this or this, for instance. It looks hilariously terrible. And can anyone teach him how to draw a neck, please?

Yeah I agree with all of this.

There are barely any moments in the manga where the character even get to be characters, It was the only reason why people think that Goku is smarter in the manga.

Because 85 percent of Goku is the manga screen time is spent in a fight are in a serious matter.

Trunks could be removed from the Future Trunks arc in the manga and it would barely change, the only character on the good side thats done any thing really is Vegeta, Goku barely even has a presence in the past few chapters.

And this SSG stuff is dumb beyond belief it makes way less sense than SSRage does. SSG was not even supposed to be a transformation yet in the manga it is.

TheMathemagician
        OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:The Manga heavily contradicts the anime which is the real canon in this case, therefore, i see the manga as a filler with saiyajin fanboyism without limits.
        In my opinion, the manga is just pointless and actually, i intended to buy it, but, since i saw the ridiculous contradictions he was doing i just gave up.
        You can see the manga as filler to you but that doesn't mean the anime is the "real canon".
        ChaosLordBrandon wrote:
        Araki wrote:

Yeah I agree with all of this.

There are barely any moments in the manga where the character even get to be characters, It was the only reason why people think that Goku is smarter in the manga.

Because 85 percent of Goku is the manga screen time is spent in a fight are in a serious matter.

Trunks could be removed from the Future Trunks arc in the manga and it would barely change, the only character on the good side thats done any thing really is Vegeta, Goku barely even has a presence in the past few chapters.

And this SSG stuff is dumb beyond belief it makes way less sense than SSRage does. SSG was not even supposed to be a transformation yet in the manga it is.
        Reminds me of the Z portion of the manga where he's only around (for the most part) when there's fighting going on.
        Last edited by TheMathemagician on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
        "Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

ChaosLordBrandon
        Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:The Manga heavily contradicts the anime which is the real canon in this case, therefore, i see the manga as a filler with saiyajin fanboyism without limits.
        Friend, I think you ment DBAF there.

Also the manga is just promo and the anime is the real canon this time. Things like this has happened with comics/shows and anime/manga shows before many times before.