Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blade249

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by Blade249 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:47 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:
3. Freeza negotiations were treated as a gag and remember by looking at manga on its own the last time we saw Freeza was the shitty movie. Remember how hateful everyone was when we first heard Freeza was coming back for the tournament, but anime converted the fan base into Freeza fan boys
This may be off topic but I don't understand why people like frieza being here. He doesn't do much and he kinda takes away the spotlight from other characters who needed it like cabbe.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 pm

The manga is basically "Goku Time" 2.0..
Feels over Reals.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Blade249 wrote:
gammabeast21 wrote:
3. Freeza negotiations were treated as a gag and remember by looking at manga on its own the last time we saw Freeza was the shitty movie. Remember how hateful everyone was when we first heard Freeza was coming back for the tournament, but anime converted the fan base into Freeza fan boys
This may be off topic but I don't understand why people like frieza being here. He doesn't do much and he kinda takes away the spotlight from other characters who needed it like cabbe.
It really isn’t Freeza’s fault that he’s more interesting than Cabba.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

gammabeast21

Post by gammabeast21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Blade249 wrote:
gammabeast21 wrote:
I don't understand how does he not do much but at the same time takes the spotlight from other characters. Only culprit of taking too much spotlight is Goku. Freeza only had 1 dedicated episode in ToP so far. Just like Cabbe. Plus, Freeza shared his episode with Gohan.

People enjoy Freeza being here because he is a wild card. He is not a Z-fighter. He has his own agenda and so his presence provides a new angle of tension that Jiren (at least the anime version) does not provide.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 pm

RedHeat wrote:The manga is basically "Goku Time" 2.0..
Never mind the fact Vegeta got to fight Beerus in the first chapter and got Black all to himself in the previous arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:I rephrased my post to be less vulgar but I still stand by the points I make.
IMO the manga definitely handled u11 to a lesser extent U6 way better than the Anime.Let start off with Jiren being likable, actually showing screentime to the pride troopers that matters,Dyspo got more screentime than the joke that was Kahseral in the anime and Belhmod is way more interesting in the manga.
    By looking at the leaks,Cabba is not a wuss here, Caulifla didn't magically obtained Ss2 and Kale is more cooler and less annoying.
      I say the manga is a decent stand alone product with some issues, the recruitment while it was dragged and it frustrated me at the character they build was better in the Anime, probably because we see Gohan power up as well Frieza.In Short the manga handled u11/u6 and the Anime U7.Dont get me started with Nigrisshi, Murichim and Ganos those character are trash so I'm not angry that the manga excluded them.
        Oh and the manga handled #17 entering the team better and the Anime had the best Goku vs 17.
        Mostly active on discord.

perucho1990
        I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm

sintzu wrote:
        Never mind the fact Vegeta got to fight Beerus in the first chapter and got Black all to himself in the previous arc.
        Shouldve said the manga is the Goku and Vegeta show.

In the beginning it was fine but all it did was overexposing them, and the lack of development hurts too(Goku).

I liked the Trunks Arc better in the anime because it killed the Goku and Vegeta show meme, even if it made no sense, getting someone else to becoming an MC was refreshing.

sintzu
        Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:35 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
        sintzu wrote:
        Shouldve said the manga is the Goku and Vegeta show.

In the beginning it was fine but all it did was overexposing them, and the lack of development hurts too(Goku).

I liked the Trunks Arc better in the anime because it killed the Goku and Vegeta show meme, even if it made no sense, getting someone else to becoming an MC was refreshing.
        Just because the manga hasn't done major recruitments for everyone doesn't mean they won't get to shine. Vegeta didn't get much of a recruitment in the anime yet he's front and center now so the same can happen with the others in the manga (hopefully).
        July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

perucho1990
        I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:39 pm

I just dont want Roshi and 18 having a better performance than Piccolo, that was straight up insulting, specially Roshi, who killed Power levels.

The gr
        I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:41 pm

I will wait for the Top to see how handles U7, it won't be the Goku and Vegeta show if all the character get more than 1 point and actually do impressive feats unlike Tien who didn't land a punch :lol: .
        perucho1990 wrote:I just dont want Roshi and 18 having a better performance than Piccolo, that was straight up insulting, specially Roshi, who killed Power levels.
        They will in the manga, remember AT check the manga and liked those character so don't be surprised if it happens,I will take it over the same shit of Goku and Vegeta being the only revelant characters.

HeroR
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:41 pm

The gr wrote:
        gammabeast21 wrote:I rephrased my post to be less vulgar but I still stand by the points I make.
        IMO the manga definitely handled u11 to a lesser extent U6 way better than the Anime.Let start off with Jiren being likable, actually showing screentime to the pride troopers that matters,Dyspo got more screentime than the joke that was Kahseral in the anime and Belhmod is way more interesting in the manga.
          By looking at the leaks,Cabba is not a wuss here, Caulifla didn't magically obtained Ss2 and Kale is more cooler and less annoying.
            I say the manga is a decent stand alone product with some issues, the recruitment while it was dragged and it frustrated me at the character they build was better in the Anime, probably because we see Gohan power up as well Frieza.In Short the manga handled u11/u6 and the Anime U7.Dont get me started with Nigrisshi, Murichim and Ganos those character are trash so I'm not angry that the manga excluded them.
              Oh and the manga handled #17 entering the team better and the Anime had the best Goku vs 17.
              Not sure how Jiren being likable is automatically better and Dyspo actually got more time in the anime.

So, what would you say if Cali got Super Saiyan 2 during the tournament with no notice?

really can’t agree with the manga being good as its own thing, especially with this last chapter. I think people really take for granted how they used the anime to fill in some of the manga’s holes, like some do with the anime.
              Kanassa wrote:
              Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

perucho1990
              I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:48 pm

The gr wrote:I will wait for the Top to see how handles U7, it won't be the Goku and Vegeta show if all the character get more than 1 point and actually do impressive feats unlike Tien who didn't land a punch :lol: .
              perucho1990 wrote:I just dont want Roshi and 18 having a better performance than Piccolo, that was straight up insulting, specially Roshi, who killed Power levels.
              They will in the manga, remember AT check the manga and liked those character so don't be surprised if it happens,I will take it over the same shit of Goku and Vegeta being the only revelant characters.
              The Trunks Arc in the anime made Trunks as relevant as Goku and Vegeta, what was bad was lack of explanation for SSJ Ikari, shouldve mentioned that Trunks broke his shell in order to get that strength(also foreshadowing Vegeta doing it in the ToP).

I also believe that Toriyama is also holding back Toyotaro, Toyo needs to learn from current popular mangakas and not from someone who is still in the 80s. Learning from Hero Academia is a good start.

The gr
              I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:50 pm

HeroR wrote:
              Not sure how Jiren being likable is automatically better and Dyspo actually got more time in the anime.

So, what would you say if Cali got Super Saiyan 2 during the tournament with no notice?

really can’t agree with the manga being good as its own thing, especially with this last chapter. I think people really take for granted how they used the anime to fill in some of the manga’s holes, like some do with the anime.
              Jiren being likable is good because I actually cared for his wish which was kept a mystery in both version.Kahseral got more screentime than Dsypo in the Anime and actually looked more important than Dyspo guess what happened to him.The manga did a better job with him because he felt more important there.
                Caulifla getting Ss2 for the first time in the tournament is a better idea, the Anime should have never showed that form in kale first rampage.
                  Sure this chapter was weak Along with the first but I've enjoyed the other chapter way more than the beginning Ft trunk stuff so that's a good thing,the Top will truly be the test if the manga works as a stand alone story.

gammabeast21

Post by gammabeast21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:56 pm

The gr wrote:Dont get me started with Nigrisshi, Murichim and Ganos those character are trash so I'm not angry that the manga excluded them.
                    I'll give you 17 being better.

I actually like the red herring style of the build up. We expect it to be linear. You get build up, meaning you matter. But this is a chaotic tournament with Universes busters here and there. Toei flip this on his head and leaves you expecting Ganos but it ends up being the hidden fighters that you wouldn't want back stories for. U3 robots were supposed to seem underwhelming to give the aniraza surprise. Obuni shouldn't be front and centre since he just a guy fighting for his family. Makes sense for Murichim to want the spotlight.

The gr
                    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:59 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:
                    I'll give you 17 being better.

I actually like the red herring style of the build up. We expect it to be linear. You get build up, meaning you matter. But this is a chaotic tournament with Universes busters here and there. Toei flip this on his head and leaves you expecting Ganos but it ends up being the hidden fighters that you wouldn't want back stories for. U3 robots were supposed to seem underwhelming to give the aniraza surprise. Obuni shouldn't be front and centre since he just a guy fighting for his family. Makes sense for Murichim to want the spotlight.
                    The red herring only worked for U3, can't say for the other, the episode of U4 being erased was so boring and hollow, I take Roshi vs Ganos over Damom.Obuni needed a longer fight, I felt his episode was worth an entire 20 minutes.

HeroR
                    Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:59 pm

The gr wrote:Jiren being likable is good because I actually cared for his wish which was kept a mystery in both version.Kahseral got more screentime than Dsypo in the Anime and actually looked more important than Dyspo guess what happened to him.The manga did a better job with him because he felt more important there.
                      Caulifla getting Ss2 for the first time in the tournament is a better idea, the Anime should have never showed that form in kale first rampage.
                        Sure this chapter was weak Along with the first but I've enjoyed the other chapter way more than the beginning Ft trunk stuff so that's a good thing,the Top will truly be the test if the manga works as a stand alone story.
                        While I’m not a fan of Jiren in the anime or manga, I find Anime Jiren’s suppose wish more interesting since it’s more implied to be selfish by how Jiren acts. Manga Jiren is just another superhero.

Kahseral got an entire episode, which is more that can be said about many. And Dyspo still got more scene time.

Why? Why shouldn’t Kale rampage the first time instead of it coming out of nowhere?

This chapter shows that the manga can’t work as a stand alone since people are basing things, including bias, on what they saw in the anime. That’s why we even have ‘I don’t care about the fodder’.
                        Kanassa wrote:

Totamo
                        I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:01 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
                        The gr wrote:I will wait for the Top to see how handles U7, it won't be the Goku and Vegeta show if all the character get more than 1 point and actually do impressive feats unlike Tien who didn't land a punch :lol: .
                        The Trunks Arc in the anime made Trunks as relevant as Goku and Vegeta, what was bad was lack of explanation for SSJ Ikari, shouldve mentioned that Trunks broke his shell in order to get that strength(also foreshadowing Vegeta doing it in the ToP).

I also believe that Toriyama is also holding back Toyotaro, Toyo needs to learn from current popular mangakas and not from someone who is still in the 80s. Learning from Hero Academia is a good start.
                        oh yeah, he should learn form the guy who is basically learning from Kishimoto who learned from Toriyama.

The gr
                        I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:04 pm

HeroR wrote:
                        While I’m not a fan of Jiren in the anime or manga, I find Anime Jiren’s suppose wish more interesting since it’s more implied to be selfish by how Jiren acts. Manga Jiren is just another superhero.

Kahseral got an entire episode, which is more that can be said about many. And Dyspo still got more scene time.

Why? Why shouldn’t Kale rampage the first time instead of it coming out of nowhere?

This chapter shows that the manga can’t work as a stand alone since people are basing things, including bias, on what they saw in the anime. That’s why we even have ‘I don’t care about the fodder’.
                        Wait didn't Belmod mentioned that in the manga,a wish that would contradict his typical Hero morals.I just say Caulifla didn't need to obtained SS2 in kale first transformation, not her rampage at the Tournament.
                          I guess your right since I have the mindset of not caring for fodder,is just a weird promo manga that should have been promoting the new stuff instead of falling behind.

Totamo
                          I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:07 pm

HeroR wrote:
                          The gr wrote:Jiren being likable is good because I actually cared for his wish which was kept a mystery in both version.Kahseral got more screentime than Dsypo in the Anime and actually looked more important than Dyspo guess what happened to him.The manga did a better job with him because he felt more important there.

The manga stands on its own as a punchout one shot like what Toriyama used to do back in the days. These plotlines aren't meant for arcs and Toyo knows that.

The anime stands on its own as entertainment value .

The manga does use more logic and things tend to make more sense, that we don't need to have a thousand videos and posts arguing about something.

The anime uses more emotion and things tend to be more important even if they really didn't need to.

You can't use either because both should stand on their own to feat and what we have is: 1 story with logic and no heart and 1 story with heart and no logic all base of a vague plotline and edited by a man who simple does not care.

HeroR
                              Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 pm

The gr wrote:
                              HeroR wrote:

Wait didn't Belmod mentioned that in the manga,a wish that would contradict his typical Hero morals.I just say Caulifla didn't need to obtained SS2 in kale first transformation, not her rampage at the Tournament.
                                I guess your right since I have the mindset of not caring for fodder,is just a weird promo manga that should have been promoting the new stuff instead of falling behind.
                                I think he said he would contradict his typical hero morals to get the wish. Not the wish itself.

But Kale rampaging showed us why she was chosen other than Cali saying she was strong and showed us how dangerous that form was.
                                Kanassa wrote: