Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by The gr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:10 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: His power isn't really relevant, why he turns into a freakshow doesn't really work in either version. Why is he only half immortal in the manga? Isn't the point of fusion making a new entity with all the best attributes of the two who make him up? What, if Black lost a finger Merged Zamasu would have only 9 and a half fingers?

The cellular thing from the manga's dumb since Black isn't even biologically like him and I fail to see how that would let Zamasu make copies of himself and gain body altering properties. His break down into a monster is a cool visual thing but the mechanics don't really work anywhere.
This arc in a nutshell, cool stuff that don't make sense,is dumb that zamas made copies of himself and his goo thing in the Anime is just silly, this must be part of toriyama Outline,MZ experience a corruption in his fusion,Trunks slice him in half but zamas made copies of himself, this thing sounds dumb in paper
Mostly active on discord.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:14 am

Toriyama was smoking some of that good stuff when he wrote this

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:48 pm

What I really like about the manga's Zamasu arc is how it's been handling the main 3 characters. Goku's Hakai, Trunks' backstab and Vegeta's rage not only show that Toyotaru understands these characters but also knows how to make them shine in believable ways, something which the anime has failed at time and again.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 am

It may have been mentioned before, but I noticed today that the two versions are different when it comes to which character switches their Potara to the other ear to create merged Zamasu.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:52 am

I love both the anime and the manga but i am surprised that not many people are shocked/upset by the multiple Fused Zamasu clones cliffhanger. Specifically black transforming into Fused Zamasu, quite the unexplained plothole /retcon.

I feel like people give the manga more rope when it comes to strange things like this. The same people would be absolutely furious if this happened in the anime.
"Oh dear...."

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:10 am

Kogu 87 wrote:I love both the anime and the manga but i am surprised that not many people are shocked/upset by the multiple Fused Zamasu clones cliffhanger. Specifically black transforming into Fused Zamasu, quite the unexplained plothole /retcon.

I feel like people give the manga more rope when it comes to strange things like this. The same people would be absolutely furious if this happened in the anime.
I was kinda confused about the whole Goku Black and Future Zamasu transforming into 2 Merged Zamasu's but someone here explained to me that it somewhat makes sense since their bodies were merged at a cellular level, and since they technically are the same person, they were able to remember what the fusion was like and replicate it.

Think of Cell becoming perfect again after he self destructed.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:37 am

DHM211 wrote:
Kogu 87 wrote:I love both the anime and the manga but i am surprised that not many people are shocked/upset by the multiple Fused Zamasu clones cliffhanger. Specifically black transforming into Fused Zamasu, quite the unexplained plothole /retcon.

I was kinda confused about the whole Goku Black and Future Zamasu transforming into 2 Merged Zamasu's but someone here explained to me that it somewhat makes sense since their bodies were merged at a cellular level, and since they technically are the same person, they were able to remember what the fusion was like and replicate it.

Think of Cell becoming perfect again after he self destructed.
Hmm, i think this explanation is a bit dodgy... this may be the eventual explanation in the nextc hapter, but if we're to be honest it still does not make sense.

If that is indeed the case why did this not happen with Goku and Vegeta the two times they have used the potara fusion ? Zamasu and black are technically the same person, but they are in two different bodies.

You refer to Cell but cell is a single being that has the ability to regenerate from piccolo, and the ability to become stronger after near death experiences due to saiyan genes.

In any case, this point does not bother me too much, i enjoy both releases immensely regardless of the differences. Just surprised that people arn't complaining as much...guess i am used to it form the anime haters.
"Oh dear...."

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:35 am

Kogu 87 wrote:I feel like people give the manga more rope when it comes to strange things like this. The same people would be absolutely furious if this happened in the anime.
It's less that the manga has a longer rope, and it's more that the manga can take more of a hit from these sort of pedantic nitpicks. With the anime, almost every other dimension of its production drops the ball spectacularly for far too substantial a portion of its life. So strange things entail more of a straw breaking the camel's back in the anime, whereas they entail more of a mild burden at worst in the manga. At least, that's how I'd look at it if they really bothered me in either version. Even in the anime, people complaining about things, like Goku's fights with Krillin and #17 during the recruitment arc, comes across as rooted in excessive attention to ultimately meaningless details, resulting in misplaced and exaggerated concerns.

Another point: things being strange in Dragon Ball is par the course, and is one of the really cool things about it in the first place.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:37 am

Well since this is the anime vs manga thread. And since the anime has 95 episode and Manga FT arc is nearly finished, i have to state my disappointment with both the anime and manga, more so with the manga, since i absolutely enjoy the DB manga.

So far i find the manga to be mostly fan fiction TBH, while the anime is mostly boring nonsense apart from some nice slice of life episodes here and there. I mean seriously if DB Super had been slice of life eps, it would be awesome. Perhaps ToP will make it awesome, i somehow doubt that tho, not getting my hopes up.

The manga, feels like glorified fan fiction, well actually, i think it is, since Toyotaru follows a slim outline, that is made out of probably 10 words, rest he adds.

So, apart from slice of life eps and this episode with Freeza which was cool, super has been a disappointment and the manga is forgettable.

The reason i decided to write this is because, i recently just re-read a good chunk of the android/cell manga arc and a bit of the 25th budokai from Buu manga arc. And it just blew my mind how good the DB manga is. I can understand why people wanted more. I especially enjoy the Buu manga arc, it is a joy to read. The anime is a bit lame to rewatch tho, dunno why. Maybe because i dont have the patience to watch anymore.

So i guess u could call this my rant and disappointment with Super.

Edit: Ye and i dislike the recolored ssgss and recolored Freeza. SSG atleast had them get a physical change and Cooler's 5th form is, well cooler, lol.
Last edited by buutenks on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:55 am

buutenks wrote:Well since this is the anime vs manga thread. And since the anime has 95 episode and Manga FT arc is nearly finished, i have to state my disappointment with both the anime and manga, more so with the manga, since i absolutely enjoy the DB manga.

So far i find the manga to be mostly fan fiction TBH, while the anime is mostly boring nonsense apart from some nice slice of life episodes here and there. I mean seriously if DB Super had been slice of life eps, it would be awesome. Perhaps ToP will make it awesome, i somehow doubt that tho, not getting my hopes up.

The manga, feels like glorified fan fiction, well actually, i think it is, since Toyotaru follows a slim outline, that is made out of probably 10 words, rest he adds.

So, apart from slice of life eps and this episode with Freeza which was cool, super has been a disappointment and the manga is forgettable.

The reason i decided to write this is because, i recently just re-read a good chunk of the android/cell manga arc and a bit of the 25th budokai from Buu manga arc. And it just blew my mind how good the DB manga is. I can understand why people wanted more. I especially enjoy the Buu manga arc, it is a joy to read. The anime is a bit lame to rewatch tho, dunno why. Maybe because i dont have the patience to watch anymore.

So i guess u could call this my rant and disappointment with Super.
You know I see a lot of people throw around the word "fanfiction" when describing the manga yet I have yet to see one describe how it resembles fanfiction.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:01 am

DHM211 wrote:
You know I see a lot of people throw around the word "fanfiction" when describing the manga yet I have yet to see one describe how it resembles fanfiction.
Fanfiction is making stuff up without the one making stuff up being the original author, since Toriyama's outline is very vague or short, most of Toyotaru's stuff is made up as is Toei's anime counterpart. Its made up, aka fanfiction. Tho i guess its Toei's case it's cashfiction.

I'm not bashing Toyotaru, i mean the guy gets to do an official manga and he can add his ideas to it. No one else can do that with their favorite series. I'm just saying compared to DB manga, Super manga simply pales in comparison and feels like fanfiction.

Well, that is what i understand fanfiction to mean anyways, feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:42 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
I will say, the manga is better so far just for Zamasu not randomly becoming some omnipotent force of nature because fucking reasons.
I'm pretty sure that both are the same thing but told differently, in both versions Zamasu creates copies of himself and spread everywhere, the only difference is that in the anime he lost his body after getting cut in half but as his essence still survived he simply made it spread everywhere. In the manga another Merged Zamasu is created after regenerating a part of his body (now i wonder why didn't he do this in the first place).

In both versions he's pretty much unstoppable because he's multiple endless copies and in none of them they are omnipotent (but anime Zamasu is omnipresent in a way i guees)
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:30 pm

buutenks wrote:So far I find the manga to be mostly fan fiction TBH.
And Trunks pulling power ups out of nowhere in the anime wasn't ? at least he didn't do that in the manga.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Well, Toriyama actually supervises the manga, so I won't entirely call the manga a fan fiction especially if the manga is basically just a more thought out and more detailed version of Toriyama's outline which is his story.

But personally, i'd prefer the manga over the anime. The anime's stories and power scaling decisions feel rushed and unexplained making the series feel so incomplete knowing that there are major things that haven't been explained yet. The manga, on the other hand, explains the things that occur at a higher rate than the anime, so the story makes a little more sense. My main issue with the manga is that it feels too much like Dragon Ball Z. I understand the homages and callbacks every once in a while, but sometimes it's just too much. I want Super to be its own thing, not another DBZ. This is what made DB, DBZ, and DBGT each iconic it's own way. Dragon Ball mainly focused on martial arts and adventure. DBZ mainly focused on combat, power, and energy. And GT mainly focused on space and technology. I can admit GT still replicated DBZ sometimes as well. Super focuses on divinity and hierarchy with mortals, gods, and each stage of angels/gods being higher than the other until Zeno. The manga captures this feeling, but I think the anime captures the feeling better. Even with this, I feel as though the manga is more superior to the anime imo.

I feel the manga is safer as it has supervision from Toriyama himself. Now, i'm not saying that the anime has no supervision from Toriyama (I don't even know if it does or doesn't tbh), but because the manga and anime are so different, and because it's a well-known fact that Toriyama actually does work on the manga, I feel like the manga is Super's proper execution.

With this, I really hope that Toyo surpasses the anime again. With Toriyama still supervising the manga, the anime could just take the manga's story and do what a normal anime/manga would do. Basically, take the story, and add additional aspects that may need changing of or just things that just need to be added in general. Super did this a little during the U6 arc until the anime surpassed the manga once again.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:18 am

superfan2024 wrote:
With this, I really hope that Toyo surpasses the anime again. With Toriyama still supervising the manga, the anime could just take the manga's story and do what a normal anime/manga would do. Basically, take the story, and add additional aspects that may need changing of or just things that just need to be added in general. Super did this a little during the U6 arc until the anime surpassed the manga once again.
You know something?? I think that's exactly what's going on right now.

This might be wishful thinking, but i feel like the anime in the ToP arc is using the manga as reference for the story board. The reason why i think this is because it is known that Toyotaro has been working in the ToP arc for a while now. Since before the anime. The first trailer for the ToP arc that came out was showing manga panels of made by Toyotaro. Some of these manga panels are identical to some of the scenes in the anime during the zen exhibition match, like the one where Daishinkan is explaining the the universal rankings and he is show from an upper angle showing his forehead. I will bring screen shots to show you what i mean.

Another reason to believe this is that Toyotaro said that his work in the manga was going to surpass the anime and that the information would come the other way around. This means that toei might be using the manga chapters of ToP arc that haven't been released yet.

Also, the pacing of the anime and the fighting choreography of this current arc adds to my suspision.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 am

The manga is very well drawn, but it gives me no emotions other than curiosity for what Toyotaro comes up with (ex.: Vegeta SSG). It tries too hard to rationalize things and to be logic and precise, at the cost of emotions, excitement and hype, which I have none for the manga.

The anime might be a mess in certain regards, but I'm almost always hyped for the next episode. I love the set up episodes, the fact that screentime is given to different characters, and it gives me so many emotions I honestly prefer DBS anime to DBZ manga.
Granted, I do not get excited for everything and when it tries too hard (Trunks Spirit Sword) I feel like watching some stupid cartoon, BUT when it's done right... oh boy is it good.

The manga leaves me no taste (other than, again, vague curiosity) while watching & waiting for the anime has become one of my hobbies in this year.
A story might be logic and concrete as much as you want, but if this comes at expenses of emotions, memories and feelings, said logic & rationality have no value.
If you're in for some ultra-steamlined storytelling, that's not what DB is about.

The anime is colorful, vibrant and interesting. Power levels might be confusing, there might be some plot holes, but as long as it leaves me something & keeps me interested, I don't care much.
Is the same thing as The Flash (tv series): people criticize different things, but the show keeps me interested so I overall don't care.

I also feel that the callbacks are done better in the anime than the manga, which has way too many to the point of losing its identity.

Finally... so many people complaining about stuff not being explained, but, again, I don't feel like I need an explanation for EVERYTHING.
I might come up with one or two reasons of why Black Goku has SSJ Rosé, as well as why he powers up. I don't need everything feed to me. I'm fine as long as I can somehow understand how something is possible.

Anyhow I also understand that the poor Toyotaro is working alone while the anime has an entire team dedicated to DBS.

desu
Beyond Newbie

Post by desu » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:04 pm

At this point of the series I dont care if Super's manga or anime just dont make any, sense, DB is about that anyway isn't it? Did it make sense for Cell to come back in his perfect form when he got killed in his 2nd? So doesn't this Zamasu splitting thing, I got really surprised by this chapter's plot twists and that's all I care about, and for me the manga left much tension with Zamasu splitting, is just much more scary and crazy, much more when we don't know if he can think or not unlike the anime version.
Both the manga and anime are doing ok imo, not excellent but I think they should just break the rules and make new ones to just keep us watching/reading, it would bebe too boring if it didn't IMO.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:20 pm

desu wrote:At this point of the series I dont care if Super's manga or anime just dont make any, sense, DB is about that anyway isn't it?
Dragon Ball has always been written by the seat of Toriyama's pants, but it's also always had a certain cohesion to it. The only things that don't make sense are problems like time discrepancies, such as the gap between the first two wishes only being 8-ish months apart.
desu wrote:Did it make sense for Cell to come back in his perfect form when he got killed in his 2nd? So doesn't this Zamasu splitting thing, I got really surprised by this chapter's plot twists and that's all I care about, and for me the manga left much tension with Zamasu splitting
Both make sense in that they aren't internally inconsistent. They don't violate any precedents that I can think of, anyway.
Retired.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:53 pm

The manga most often explains the events, and the chapter was already at the end when it appeared that multiple clones of Zamasu.
I believe this will be explained in the next chapter.

But Black and Zamasu had not separated yet and were connected at the cellular level. Trunks did not wait for the merger to come undone and cut the two in half, which probably caused the merger not to end.

In a way, Is an exploration of the concept of immortality in DB
Is virtually unlimited, and the user is still able to regenerate the entire body with small parts of it.
Last edited by TheSaiyanGod on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:54 pm

I do not understand what some people want.

There were lots of complaints due to the highlight of Trunks and the unexplained powers he received.

Now in the manga, he has not received any PUs out of the ordinary and yet complain that he had little highlight
What do they want then?

Trunks neither in the manga nor in the anime had adequate training to receive a decent UP on their strength.
In the anime, they preferred to give a new transformation to him, which even without explanation,being just fanservice, was an exciting scene.

In the manga, he reached an incredible level, training alone for 10 years (higher than the anime level).
But he did not have training to win any transformation, so it was consistent.

I like the way Toyotaro always explains things, adding interesting concepts or showing unheard things.
Nevertheless, at times the events do not have that much impact.

In anime, they often do not care about consistency, but want to make a scene more exciting.

I like both of them, but I think it's possible to make exciting scenes without losing coherence, the anime could improve it.
Same thing with Toyotaro.