Why not recruit future trunks for the tournament?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Why not recruit future trunks for the tournament?

Post by apex_pretador » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:18 am

I guess it is understandable why they are not recruiting someone like freeza despite being immensly powerful. Even goten-trunks not being included because "they're kids who dont have experience" can make sense. But why do they simply not have Whis fetch future trunks out of where he was left by whis, and have him fight in the tournament? He would be perfect for that, especially will also give him a chance to fight to save "this" timeline after Goku/vegeta helped him saving his own timeline (okay, it didn't get saved but he still got happy ending).

It would be even better considering there are two future trunks, and you can recruit them over weaklings like roshi and tien.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why not recruit future trunks for the tournament?

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:20 am

Time travel is strictly forbidden by the Gods, for one thing.

Xiao Long Li

Post by Xiao Long Li » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:11 am

apex_pretador wrote:okay, it didn't get saved but he still got happy ending).
That's very arguable, really.

But all the more reason to use the Super Dragon Balls to wish his timeline back, I suppose. With time travel being forbidden by the gods, it'd be pretty hard to get him onto the team.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:04 am

Universe 7 has all of their contestants from earth.. literally telling me there is not one decent fighter out There?

Instead we have krillin getting a magical boost and guys like Roshi doing who knows what.

Booze Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booze Sama » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:06 am

julianix wrote:Universe 7 has all of their contestants from earth.. literally telling me there is not one decent fighter out There?

Instead we have krillin getting a magical boost and guys like Roshi doing who knows what.
The Dinosaur Meat guy Beerus killed would do better than Roshi, with all that electric and fire moves he had. I'm pretty sure there are tons of strong fighters out there - Remember when Kid Boo was searching for Vegeta and Goku, sensing strong power levels and blew up random planets.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:00 am

While also I previously pointed out that it's a bit strange that all the most powerful mortals of U7 live on Earth, I don't think there are a lot of people stronger than DBZ Frieza around.
- Frieza scared all the galaxy.
- It looks like BoG Goku was the strongest mortal Beerus ever fought. And probably the other strong people he fought in the past are now too old or dead (by age, or probably killed by him, with their planets destroyed).
- They have just less than 40 hours to gather all the fighters. Not a lot of time to fly around the space searching for new, unknown people.
-- About this: I do wonder how the other universes may do that. I fear that some very strong fighters may not partecipate to the tournament just because the gods did not have the time to identify and recruit them... Maybe, using a combination of angels' magic staffs and Kaioshin's kaikai teleports... but however you have to recruit a fighter every 4 hours at max.

Note: a thing I found "strange" in DBGT was that the main characters felt "underpowered"... I did expect them to be stronger than 95% of alien races, but they did have problems instead. Goku returning kid and Trunks lack of training of course lowered their power... but still they should have been able to perform much better than they did. Of course, authors tried to keep the story interesting (main characters one-shotting every single enemy with no effort would have not been very interesting), and I do not remember many details of GT, but I remember the "feeling" of something being strange about that.
Think about how "kid" Goku managed Frieza and Cell in the hell during Super C17 arc: they were absolutely no match for him, IIRC... so kid Goku was still stronger than Frieza... why did he had so many problems in the galaxy tour?

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 pm

julianix wrote:Universe 7 has all of their contestants from earth.. literally telling me there is not one decent fighter out There?

Freeza was the strongest in the Universe and Goku beat him, who else is there?

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:50 pm

They face the threat of universal annihilation, why would they do something that would piss of Xeno? I doubt Whis would be down and they only have 40 hours to prepare so its not like Bulma can just fuel up the time machine. Plus I'm pretty sure it would technically be cheating to bring someone from another timeline.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Well here the thing
1.they only got two days
2.the time machine was destroyed
3.gods are not allowed to mess with time.
Trunks had an entire arc dedicated to himself not only that also lost his universe so he's deserve a break from all this shit he suffered.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:48 pm

He literally had a whole arc for him,he shined pretty well in it and was overexposed ! can't you leave other characters a chance ?

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:He literally had a whole arc for him,he shined pretty well in it and was overexposed ! can't you leave other characters a chance ?
Apparently not.Can't have others have a chance to shine but your favorites only.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Give him a break, he just lost everything. Let him make babies with Mai.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:43 pm

because we have seen enough of future trunks to last a long while.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:17 pm

pacz360 wrote: Trunks had an entire arc dedicated to himself not only that also lost his universe so he's deserve a break from all this shit he suffered.
omaro34 wrote:because we have seen enough of future trunks to last a long while.
Lapislettuce wrote:He literally had a whole arc for him,he shined pretty well in it and was overexposed ! can't you leave other characters a chance ?
What about using In universe logic? Everyone is wondering why don't bring freeza back, when this is a better idea.
Octorockandroll wrote:They face the threat of universal annihilation, why would they do something that would piss of Xeno? I doubt Whis would be down and they only have 40 hours to prepare so its not like Bulma can just fuel up the time machine. Plus I'm pretty sure it would technically be cheating to bring someone from another timeline.
The Zeno himself is from another timeline. He did not ask or even think about that.

Whis willingly volunteered to create another timeline for trunks, and anyways, Shin can use his time ring to pluck out trunks from future.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:38 pm

apex_pretador wrote:
pacz360 wrote: Trunks had an entire arc dedicated to himself not only that also lost his universe so he's deserve a break from all this shit he suffered.
omaro34 wrote:because we have seen enough of future trunks to last a long while.
What about using In universe logic? Everyone is wondering why don't bring freeza back, when this is a better idea.
Octorockandroll wrote:They face the threat of universal annihilation, why would they do something that would piss of Xeno? I doubt Whis would be down and they only have 40 hours to prepare so its not like Bulma can just fuel up the time machine. Plus I'm pretty sure it would technically be cheating to bring someone from another timeline.
The Zeno himself is from another timeline. He did not ask or even think about that.

Whis willingly volunteered to create another timeline for trunks, and anyways, Shin can use his time ring to pluck out trunks from future.
U7 diellma isn't trunks problem anyway and again the dude lost entire his timeline give the dude a break his story is done for now.