Vegeta doesn't care about surpassing Goku anymore.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Vegeta doesn't care about surpassing Goku anymore.

Post by TBMx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:53 am

Looks like we're beginning to see him transition to the GT Vegeta who gave up the race and cares about looking after his family. He knows Goku can spam SSB Kaioken and that he enjoys fighting Hit more. There's no feasible way he can catch up so all he has to say when Goku mockingly says don't blame me if I become a lot stronger than you (he already is) is a halfhearted "We will see". See what? Vegeta's not going to match SSB Kaioken, yet Hit beat SSB Kaioken x10. What really makes me say that Vegeta is out of the race for sure is that Hit improves at a rate faster than Goku or Vegeta. Whenever Goku reaches new heights Hit will match and then beat it before Vegeta could. So Hit is Goku's new archrival.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Vegeta doesn't care about surpassing Goku anymore.

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:00 pm

It's almost like Goku and Vegeta switched characterizations. Vegeta is willing to sacrifice his pride for the greater good while Goku doesn't seem to give a shit about his loved ones or people getting hurt as long as he gets to satisfy his battle boner.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:56 pm

That's not the case, Vegeta and goku are written bad that's all..
You can see how the manga does Handel the same ( similar if you really care about it ) story point in a much better way, the people who complain about Vegeta are perfectly happy with his manga incarnation, and that includes me
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:01 pm

I'm seconding the not liking anime Vegeta, but happy with manga Vegeta statement.

I'm steadily losing interest in the anime because of what's going on with Vegeta and Gokû, but I'm still looking forward to the manga chapters each month.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm seconding the not liking anime Vegeta, but happy with manga Vegeta statement.

I'm steadily losing interest in the anime because of what's going on with Vegeta and Gokû, but I'm still looking forward to the manga chapters each month.
I'm a Vegeta fan too and I prefer the manga version too. If it wasn't for the manga I couldn't tolerate Super at all. I was also never a big fan of Goku but he never irritated me before. I really do miss detective Goku.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:36 pm

TBMx wrote:Looks like we're beginning to see him transition to the GT Vegeta who gave up the race and cares about looking after his family. He knows Goku can spam SSB Kaioken and that he enjoys fighting Hit more. There's no feasible way he can catch up so all he has to say when Goku mockingly says don't blame me if I become a lot stronger than you (he already is) is a halfhearted "We will see". See what? Vegeta's not going to match SSB Kaioken, yet Hit beat SSB Kaioken x10. What really makes me say that Vegeta is out of the race for sure is that Hit improves at a rate faster than Goku or Vegeta. Whenever Goku reaches new heights Hit will match and then beat it before Vegeta could. So Hit is Goku's new archrival.
Vegeta is Goku's rival, but he cares about his loves one, that's the character development from Z i don't see the problem
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 pm

If people's only interest in Vegeta is his relationship with Goku then that says a lot about the character. Look Vegeta and Goku is just boring, it is predictable like in the Trunks arc they squabbling over the Jar and Portara etc that is all their relationship ever is and ever will be. Vegeta wanting to "surpass Kakarot" is done, it is tiring, surely Vegeta as a character has more to offer then that? His dynamic with Trunks was infinitely more interesting in that arc.

Logically as the OP says it makes sense that the characters are where they are, Vegeta has needed Goku more then Goku has needed him soon as someone stronger than Vegeta appears Goku will easily ditch him. Goku is and always will be steps ahead of Vegeta, the Buu arc proved this, modern DB has proved this, Vegeta letting Goku go as a rival is the most sensible thing he can do, I don't want to sit here for 200+ episodes of Vegeta pinning over the fact he can't surpass Goku and everytime they are on screen together sqauabbling over this and that.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If people's only interest in Vegeta is his relationship with Goku then that says a lot about the character. Look Vegeta and Goku is just boring, it is predictable like in the Trunks arc they squabbling over the Jar and Portara etc that is all their relationship ever is and ever will be. Vegeta wanting to "surpass Kakarot" is done, it is tiring, surely Vegeta as a character has more to offer then that? His dynamic with Trunks was infinitely more interesting in that arc.

Logically as the OP says it makes sense that the characters are where they are, Vegeta has needed Goku more then Goku has needed him soon as someone stronger than Vegeta appears Goku will easily ditch him. Goku is and always will be steps ahead of Vegeta, the Buu arc proved this, modern DB has proved this, Vegeta letting Goku go as a rival is the most sensible thing he can do, I don't want to sit here for 200+ episodes of Vegeta pinning over the fact he can't surpass Goku and everytime they are on screen together sqauabbling over this and that.
I don't actually mind seeing Vegeta wanting to surpass Goku, but as long as it's kept as a motivational way to challenge himself, without getting mad over it like in Z or being affected if Goku gets stronger. Kinda like what i do, i want to get better than one mate that always used to beat me playing basketball, i really want to get better but i don't feel any bad if i fail.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If people's only interest in Vegeta is his relationship with Goku then that says a lot about the character. Look Vegeta and Goku is just boring, it is predictable like in the Trunks arc they squabbling over the Jar and Portara etc that is all their relationship ever is and ever will be. Vegeta wanting to "surpass Kakarot" is done, it is tiring, surely Vegeta as a character has more to offer then that? His dynamic with Trunks was infinitely more interesting in that arc.

Not everyone finds the same things interesting. What one person finds interesting another finds boring. Vegeta's moves in the anime are good for his family, but plot wise it's as interesting as watching paint dry imo.

And actually I felt Gokû and Vegeta were getting along better with each other up until the early Gokû Black arc when Vegeta didn't know Gokû Black was truly not a Gokû, but after that was cleared up he wasn't angry at Gokû himself by proxy anymore.

Their dynamic was getting close to the way Gokû and Piccolo were during those three years before the androids appeared and I was excited to see more only for them to get split up like this because somebody at Shueisha wants Vegeta to settle down and that frustrates the hell out of me. I didn't like that in GT and I don't like it in Super either.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Vegeta is Goku's rival, but he cares about his loves one, that's the character development from Z i don't see the probl
Vegeta's not done anything ever since the Father/Son Galick Gun which Goku still overshadowed and took the limelight from. This is a fighting series. Vegeta seems to be going the way of Gohan in the face of all these new challenges and rivals. He wouldn't even of entered if Whis didnt magically quicken Bulla's birth. There's even rumours of Goku getting yet another boost of some sort on top of SSB Kaioken in order to take on these new arch rivals. While Vegeta's stuck with SSB and only has his vague "we will see". Well what I'm seeing is a bunch of new rivals who Goku is getting boosted to match. First his Kaioken has little to no risk anymore and this new thing from the intro coming along. So he'll be two steps ahead and having fun with all these new rivals instead. While Vegeta is reduced to a Piccolo status. Seems like GT all over again.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 pm

TBMx wrote:
Vegeta is Goku's rival, but he cares about his loves one, that's the character development from Z i don't see the probl
Vegeta's not done anything ever since the Father/Son Galick Gun which Goku still overshadowed and took the limelight from. This is a fighting series. Vegeta seems to be going the way of Gohan in the face of all these new challenges and rivals. He wouldn't even of entered if Whis didnt magically quicken Bulla's birth. There's even rumours of Goku getting yet another boost of some sort on top of SSB Kaioken in order to take on these new arch rivals. While Vegeta's stuck with SSB and only has his vague "we will see". Well what I'm seeing is a bunch of new rivals who Goku is getting boosted to match. First his Kaioken has little to no risk anymore and this new thing from the intro coming along. So he'll be two steps ahead and having fun with all these new rivals instead. While Vegeta is reduced to a Piccolo status. Seems like GT all over again.
This is similar to what I see happening too.

My only difference is I think they're bringing Gohan back if not as a permanent fighter character then at least as a temporary substitute for Vegeta until a new rival character's introduced.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 pm

It is good..I'm tired of seeing the same bullshit again kakarot i will surpass you bullshit it will be boring with the time

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Vegeta is the eternal rival. He ain't like Tien and Piccolo, he don't get to move on. Vegeta is gonna go back to his "I gotta surpass Goku" ways. The only question is will it actually be exciting or not? Hit and Jiren are closer to Piccolo and Tien. They are temporary rivals, but in an arc or two. They'll both be nobodies.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:52 pm

As far as I know he was pissed at Super 17 talking about Goku... And later was pissed that Goku surpassed him that much in GT

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:58 pm

Honestly when Super first came out I was confused with Vegeta, we hear the guy come into terms that yes Kakarot, you are the best, you are #1, but the instant Super starts up he goes back into "Dont expect me to be #2! I will surpass you Kakarot" not that it was a big deal but I didnt like it, for me Vegeta coming into terms with that was an amazing moment and speech from him in the Boo arc, I would be fine with him still interested in fighting and being ruthless along with his pride of not giving #2 to anyone, but instead we get the Vegeta now who for some reason wants to be beside Bulma when she gives birth and doesnt want to leave her... like... I'm ok with character development but not this kind of development, this is for end game, for an ending chapter where we see the cast for one final time, this shouldnt happen mid way where theres a tournament coming up with universes at stake.
Vegeta's also been constantly mocked by Beerus and served as his servant boy... that was not a good scene at all, I wanted Vegeta or Goku to kick Beerus' ass so hard when he was belittling them.
I know Goku's supposed to even it out with Beerus cause he couldnt win against him, but this time I want Vegeta to regain his prideful arrogant self and get stronger than Beerus and kick his fucking tail inside out.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Beyond wrote:Vegeta is the eternal rival. He ain't like Tien and Piccolo, he don't get to move on. Vegeta is gonna go back to his "I gotta surpass Goku" ways. The only question is will it actually be exciting or not? Hit and Jiren are closer to Piccolo and Tien. They are temporary rivals, but in an arc or two. They'll both be nobodies.
Vegeta, Piccolo, Tien and Hit will always want to be better than Goku even if Goku is a Billion times stronger than them. They might not take it as serious but it will always be a target for them.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm also tired of Beerus pushing Vegeta around. It's a gag if you have an arrogant Vegeta being put in these situations, but when you have a Vegeta who's no longer prideful being bullied like that it's meanspirited and unpleasant to watch.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:06 pm

I will hold on before jumping to conclusions. If I read the manga without knowing anything of what happens I would think Vegeta is retired after Goku went SSJ and especially after Gohan beat Cell and Vegeta commented he would have given up fighting from there on.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:23 pm

SansrivaaL wrote: Vegeta now who for some reason wants to be beside Bulma when she gives birth and doesnt want to leave her... like... I'm ok with character development but not this kind of development, this is for end game, for an ending chapter where we see the cast for one final time, this shouldnt happen mid way where theres a tournament coming up with universes at stake.
No, when the universe is at stake is a perfect time for this to come up. Now he has a newborn baby to protect, one that gives him the chance to actually be there for unlike when Bulma was pregnant last time. He has more personal investment in the tournament. In the end game, this wouldn't really matter.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Beyond wrote:Vegeta is the eternal rival. He ain't like Tien and Piccolo, he don't get to move on. Vegeta is gonna go back to his "I gotta surpass Goku" ways. The only question is will it actually be exciting or not? Hit and Jiren are closer to Piccolo and Tien. They are temporary rivals, but in an arc or two. They'll both be nobodies.
Then the series needs to make it seem like Vegeta's a rival to Goku. Cause even back in Z half the time it looked like Vegeta was competitive while Goku just sort of didn't care. It's been a poorly written "rivalry" for quite a long time. That's really my problem. Vegeta gets marketed as Goku's eternal rival, but hardly comes off as one to begin with.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi