Which character is the most out of character?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Which character is the most out of character?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:36 pm

Because of this wonky series, so many people are very confused about their favorite characters being portrayed as if the writers were friends with both Matt Groening and Seth MacFarlane or something. What are your thoughts about this?

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Which character is the most out of character?

Post by Totamo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Define out of character because some of the things our characters did back in Z could be seen as such.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Totamo wrote:Define out of character because some of the things our characters did back in Z could be seen as such.
In (or out of) character
Phrase of character
1. In keeping (or not in keeping) with someone's usual pattern of behavior.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:41 pm

I think I'm one of the only people that think the characters are being portrayed more than well enough.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:48 pm

kinisking wrote:I think I'm one of the only people that think the characters are being portrayed more than well enough.
I'm on board with you with that.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:48 pm

For me the weirdest one was Vegeta wanting to stay beside Bulma instead of training with Whis and Goku.
Oh and also Goku actually working that long to the point of getting rusty enough for a gun shot to actually faze him, I mean I didnt expect THE GOKU to actually turn a blind eye to training because of fear from Chichi (tho I guess he was always scared of her... but still.)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:50 pm

kinisking wrote:I think I'm one of the only people that think the characters are being portrayed more than well enough.
I'm on the same boat but I think they have over-emphasized some traits, which is a little annoying. I don't mind things like Goku being dumb and Vegeta being afraid of Beerus, as long as these traits are not as recurring as they have been so far.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Are you talking about Super? Because if so, nobody has really done anything that I would think is out of character. Some traits get exaggerated a little, but's fairly harmless to the story and doesn't happen often.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Technically, no one's really out-of-character just exaggerated traits/flanderized or derailed but Goku, Gohan, Chi-Chi, Videl, and Mr. Boo suffer the biggest cases of character assassination/regression in Super.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:33 pm

I'd venture to say that a character's traits being grossly exaggerated makes the character feel "out of character".

Goku doesn't really feel like the same Goku I loved and grew up with. I thought maybe it was nostalgia at first, but I recently started watching jap dub GT (of which I have no nostalgia for) and it was actually kind of interesting to me how in-character GT Goku feels as compared to his Super counterpart. It's even odder given the fact that GT Goku is a kid, yet Super Goku acts 10x more childish. I actually vastly prefer Goku's portrayal in GT than in Super. He just reminds me too much of Luffy in Super. Could be just the way he's drawn, I dunno.

On the other hand, while I'd say GT Vegeta is way more in-character coming off of his development in the Buu saga (which Super Vegeta completely retcons/ignores), I'm really impressed and pleased with how Vegeta has been handled in Super so far. His development as a character feels very natural and he's honestly one of, if not my most favorite character in Super, which is saying a lot considering I always hated Vegeta in Z (pre Buu saga). I think the writers have done a fantastic job with him and I'm disappointment Goku is not given the same treatment.

Otherwise everyone else feels in character, even if they are very disappointing to watch (looking at you, Gohan). Hopefully that'll change this arc.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Technically, no one's really out-of-character just exaggerated traits/flanderized or derailed but Goku, Gohan, Chi-Chi, Videl, and Mr. Boo suffer the biggest cases of character assassination/regression in Super.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Videl. I completely agree. Her character is terrible/non-existent. I don't expect her to be bitchy like how she was in the Buu arc, but Jesus Christ TOEI please give her some damn characterization. The filler episode with Barry Kahn showed off a glimpse of how her character should be, but it was only a glimpse. I don't really like Buu's character in Super, they treat him like a dumb dog that just sleeps and only responds to food. I don't know how much of that is "out of character" though. I feel like we never got to know too much about his character to begin with in Z.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:03 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Technically, no one's really out-of-character just exaggerated traits/flanderized or derailed but Goku, Gohan, Chi-Chi, Videl, and Mr. Boo suffer the biggest cases of character assassination/regression in Super.
Gohan? I don't get that. Sure he didn't fight that much in Super until recently, but none of his character traits have been exaggerated. I'd agree with Mr Boo, but he's been handled really well recently. Chi Chi has also mellowed out a lot since the ROF arc. Videl... yeah, there's not to her. She's just Gohan very loyal and level headed wife.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:20 pm

It's gotta be a tie between Goku and Videl.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:29 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:For me the weirdest one was Vegeta wanting to stay beside Bulma instead of training with Whis and Goku.
Oh and also Goku actually working that long to the point of getting rusty enough for a gun shot to actually faze him, I mean I didnt expect THE GOKU to actually turn a blind eye to training because of fear from Chichi (tho I guess he was always scared of her... but still.)

I Don't feel like throwing a fit because you're saying Vegeta isn't being himself, but I'll say this. Try looking at it from a different perspective.

Spent your entire life living for power and revenge. You slowly start to change things, but decide to toss away your life for more strength (Majin Vegeta). You finally realize what you've done to your family and look for a way to repent.

Vegeta was given a second chance to do things differently, he wants to get this right.

I know you just said he's being weird, but this mostly applies to the people complaining that he's not into fighting anymore. He still has motivation and goals. It's just for 9 months his priorities have changed.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:45 pm

I dunno, Goku certainly seems a bit different at times so I guess that could count. Gohan was written very inconsistently for a time though idk if that means out of character necessarily. Beerus also seems different than he did in the movies but that can just be chalked up to a different interpretation for a different canon.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Gohan? I don't get that. Sure he didn't fight that much in Super until recently, but none of his character traits have been exaggerated. I'd agree with Mr Boo, but he's been handled really well recently. Chi Chi has also mellowed out a lot since the ROF arc. Videl... yeah, there's not to her. She's just Gohan very loyal and level headed wife.
Him having to have piccolo protect him in Rof was definitely character regression.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:07 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:For me the weirdest one was Vegeta wanting to stay beside Bulma instead of training with Whis and Goku.
That's more like character development, and a good one.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:21 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Not so such Gohan's character itself buy how he's handled within the story. He's only relevant to job and remind the viewers of how lame he is.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 pm

Goku and Videl.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:12 am

kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Him having to have piccolo protect him in Rof was definitely character regression.
It's not like he asked Piccolo for help, like he would in the past. That would perhaps had been classified as character regression if that was the scenario, but it wasn't. I mean, for intents and purposes, it seemed like he was gonna die at the hands of Freeza and Piccolo was there to bail him out. And after the event of the ROF arc, he wanted Piccolo to help him train so that he could become stronger and and could protect his family. And we're going to (hopefully) see the pay-off to that in the Tournament of Power. So his character has really moved forward since then.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:48 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Gohan? I don't get that. Sure he didn't fight that much in Super until recently, but none of his character traits have been exaggerated. I'd agree with Mr Boo, but he's been handled really well recently. Chi Chi has also mellowed out a lot since the ROF arc. Videl... yeah, there's not to her. She's just Gohan very loyal and level headed wife.
It's not like he asked Piccolo for help, like he would in the past. That would perhaps had been classified as character regression if that was the scenario, but it wasn't. I mean, for intents and purposes, it seemed like he was gonna die at the hands of Freeza and Piccolo was there to bail him out. And after the event of the ROF arc, he wanted Piccolo to help him train so that he could become stronger and and could protect his family. And we're going to (hopefully) see the pay-off that in the tournament in power. So his character has really moved forward since then.
Good points. I guess you're right.