Which character is the most out of character?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Which character is the most out of character?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:05 pm

kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
kinisking wrote: Him having to have piccolo protect him in Rof was definitely character regression.
It's not like he asked Piccolo for help, like he would in the past. That would perhaps had been classified as character regression if that was the scenario, but it wasn't. I mean, for intents and purposes, it seemed like he was gonna die at the hands of Freeza and Piccolo was there to bail him out. And after the event of the ROF arc, he wanted Piccolo to help him train so that he could become stronger and and could protect his family. And we're going to (hopefully) see the pay-off to that in the Tournament of Power. So his character has really moved forward since then..
Good points. I guess you're right.
I just hope the Universal Survival arc provides some closure for some of the characters. We have Krillin fighting for his family and getting back into martial arts seriously, Gohan going to display the fruits of his training following him previously prioritising his family over his strength in combat, 17 and 18 coming back in to the picture, Goku's morality being judged due to it being held in a different standard to other universes and (hopefully) Vegeta realising that he has even more to fight for with the birth of his new daughter.

The Universal Survival arc really has a lot going for it. Which is why, more than anything, I hope they don't fumble these promising subplots.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:02 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Technically, no one's really out-of-character just exaggerated traits/flanderized or derailed but Goku, Gohan, Chi-Chi, Videl, and Mr. Boo suffer the biggest cases of character assassination/regression in Super.
Only in BoG, because after that he is the same Mr Boo as in the end of Buu Saga/EoZ.

Videl kinda redeemed herself in the Barry Khan Mini Arc.

Gohan has gotten the most hype in the current ToP Arc since the Cell Saga, when was the last time he was excited in fighting?.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:Because of this wonky series, so many people are very confused about their favorite characters being portrayed as if the writers were friends with both Matt Groening and Seth MacFarlane or something. What are your thoughts about this?
What does this even mean ? Matt is/was a great writer, and while I'm not a huge fan of FG, Seth does some great work with "American Dad".
Anyway, probably Videl. It's not that she's out of character, she just seems a bit off.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Goku is not out of character. I would say nobody is out of character, there's something called character development. If everybody stays same it means the character is static
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Post by keyz05 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:Goku is not out of character. I would say nobody is out of character, there's something called character development. If everybody stays same it means the character is static
What about "Character Derailment"? If you don't know what that means, then here's a TV Tropes definition for you: "When an established character becomes largely different, exhibiting behavior contrary to what has been previously shown."

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 pm

keyz05 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:Goku is not out of character. I would say nobody is out of character, there's something called character development. If everybody stays same it means the character is static
What about "Character Derailment"? If you don't know what that means, then here's a TV Tropes definition for you: "When an established character becomes largely different, exhibiting behavior contrary to what has been previously shown."
Goku isn't nearly as stupid in Super as people are trying to make him out to be, and I can't think of any instances where any character has acted inconsistently to the point that they can be considered entirely different people without reasonable development.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:36 pm

That's a funny way to spell character regression.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:38 pm

There's nothing wrong with a static character if they provide for the story.