Why time travel produces delay in future of Dragon Ball super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:36 pm

In future arc, when Trunks was fighting Black Goku in future, he was buying time for Goku and Vegeta to prepare in present.

Goku and Vegeta took 'x' days to prepare and till that time future Trunks defended them.

My question is why Goku and Vegeta didn't joined Trunks at the time exactly equal to when they left?

E.g.

Right now we are @ 1 a.m.

Future Trunks is @ 7 a.m.

Goku and vegeta returned to 1 a.m. from 7 a.m. for practicing.

They practiced for 3 hours.

As per anime, they returned @ 10 a.m.

Why?

Why weren't they able to return @ 7 a.m. that is exactly when they left future?

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Why time travel produces delay in future of Dragon Ball super

Post by emperior » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:56 pm

In the future, time continues to flow while they are in the present. If they were to return to where they left, they would have created a new timeline.
This rule doesn't seem to apply when travelling back in time because Trunks in DBZ was able to go 3 years in the future of the timeline he created, while only 8 months passed in his time. It might be because of Future Bulma grasping time travel better than her past self.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:06 pm

But someone says something about it?

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Yes, Whis clearly states it, and bulma even details it saying how you cant change the configuration of the device, and has to follow the time flows at both sides
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Pluto wrote:Yes, Whis clearly states it, and bulma even details it saying how you cant change the configuration of the device, and has to follow the time flows at both sides
Thanks but you can say me the episode

Hakaishin Saitama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Saitama » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:09 pm

Lupin879 wrote:
Pluto wrote:Yes, Whis clearly states it, and bulma even details it saying how you cant change the configuration of the device, and has to follow the time flows at both sides
Thanks but you can say me the episode
I'm pretty sure this was the explanation from the manga Bulma. I don't recall her saying anything like that in the anime.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:32 am

Bulma is wrong. It's a contradiction/plot hole Toyotaro created. Geekdom addresses it one of his videos. When Trunks returned to the future to recharge the time machine, he didn't have to wait 3 years in his own time to pass. He simply set his TM "3 years later" in the present

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Bulma is wrong. It's a contradiction/plot hole Toyotaro created. Geekdom addresses it one of his videos. When Trunks returned to the future to recharge the time machine, he didn't have to wait 3 years in his own time to pass. He simply set his TM "3 years later" in the present
They talk about the link between the two timelines weakening, my headcanon is that the “you must maintain the same differential” as a result of that, plus that other dude aboves theory about Future Bulma having better skills.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:13 am

The link that the time machine has between the two timelines is very weak now, so the time that they spend in one passes in the other too. This wasn't the case before, as we have two examples of changing the amount of time. First when Trunks returned after three years, without him waiting that long. The other when Cell stole the machine and travelled back much more than 17 years. He changed the settings somehow, I guess accidentally.
Heno heno kappa!