Am I the only one that thinks SSJ4 is more innovative than Super's transformations?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Am I the only one that thinks SSJ4 is more innovative than Super's transformations?

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Super Saiyan 4 would look better if they were all like Gogeta and reversed the colors. Red hair and black/brown fur.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Re: Am I the only one that thinks SSJ4 is more innovative than Super's transformations?

Post by Sodhi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Nakatsuru was a good designer, and he did a good job designing ssj4.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:17 pm

I agree with the others. SSJ4 was my favorite transformation. Simply because it looked like a normal state, but with great power. The design was awesome, and it made him look really bad ass. That hair was awesome in SSJ4!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:42 pm

Totamo wrote:
The original super saiyan was a recolor and no one said anything
I don't really understand what you mean by this. How was the original Super Saiyan a recolor? Goku's hair shape changed dramatically, and at the time we saw muscles on him that we're unparalleled. Who knew Goku could get even more muscular after that fight against Vegeta.

Just look:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Asura wrote:
Totamo wrote:
I don't really understand what you mean by this. How was the original Super Saiyan a recolor? Goku's hair shape changed dramatically, and at the time we saw muscles on him that we're unparalleled. Who knew Goku could get even more muscular after that fight against Vegeta.

Just look:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
I agree with you, i mean, i like the new transformations but this just seems like a lame excuse to defend them against criticism, lol, when i was a little kid (before being a fan or watching the show), i thought that Goku and his super saiyan form were actually different characters.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:49 pm

4s more innovative than all of them simply because Nakatsuru actually sat down and put thought into it that isn't "recolored hair that progressively gets spikier!".

BlueBasilisk wrote:Super Saiyan 4 would look better if they were all like Gogeta and reversed the colors. Red hair and black/brown fur.
That's actually not a bad idea, got any pics as examples?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:53 pm

I've been on record and I despise GT I never even watched it to be honest. But without a doubt ssj4 was the appropriate direction instead. Nothing about ssjblue is cool or innovative. Seems like a sloppy patch work decision to me.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:01 pm

julianix wrote:I've been on record and I despise GT I never even watched it to be honest.
Y'know, not to diverge a bit off topic but I feel like there are way too many people out there like yourself who absolutely despise GT, yet have never even watched it before. I don't even understand how that makes sense. Why not actually watch it for yourself and decide if you like it or not? I feel like there are way too many people out there who hate GT just because it's the cool thing to do.

I used to be like you, I mean I watched the series before but not completely, and I always hated it (but loved SSJ4 ofc, just like you) but now that I'm much older, I've decided to start rewatching GT alongside Super, I'm surprised at how much I enjoy it, and how hugely fucking overblown its criticisms are. Like, it's got a lot of legit criticisms, and it's not a great show, but people always make it sound like it's the spawn of Satan and the worst anime to ever be released, when in reality it's actually quite decent and has its low moments and high moments just like Super.

Skip past that Super 17 shit though. There really is no saving that arc. Nothing good I can say about it, lol.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:19 pm

julianix wrote:I've been on record and I despise GT I never even watched it to be honest. But without a doubt ssj4 was the appropriate direction instead. Nothing about ssjblue is cool or innovative. Seems like a sloppy patch work decision to me.
How can you know you despise GT if you never watched it? While you can read summaries of what happened in it online, it's not the same as actually watching it.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Asura wrote:
julianix wrote:I've been on record and I despise GT I never even watched it to be honest.
Y'know, not to diverge a bit off topic but I feel like there are way too many people out there like yourself who absolutely despise GT, yet have never even watched it before. I don't even understand how that makes sense. Why not actually watch it for yourself and decide if you like it or not? I feel like there are way too many people out there who hate GT just because it's the cool thing to do.

I used to be like you, I mean I watched the series before but not completely, and I always hated it (but loved SSJ4 ofc, just like you) but now that I'm much older, I've decided to start rewatching GT alongside Super, I'm surprised at how much I enjoy it, and how hugely fucking overblown its criticisms are. Like, it's got a lot of legit criticisms, and it's not a great show, but people always make it sound like it's the spawn of Satan and the worst anime to ever be released, when in reality it's actually quite decent and has its low moments and high moments just like Super.

Skip past that Super 17 shit though. There really is no saving that arc. Nothing good I can say about it, lol.
Look I watched parts here and there and it just wasn't for me. I'm barely watching dbs as it is because it has some decent episodes here and there. But even super I'm holding on by a thread. It's not like dbz that had me on the edge of my seat. Namek saga was off the charts.

I think you have to understand that a ton of the fans are adults now anf you kind of have to change things up a little to fit the mold. Just like star wars did with the clone wars. It definitely had a lot of thought out into it. Then rebels came out and it's just another little kid bullshit show.

Dbs to me is doing things for pure fan service and it's just lazy writing. I can't get into that kind of nonsense.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Asura wrote:
Totamo wrote:

Just look:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
SSJ Blue does the exact same thing with the hair, hell look at vegeta.

You can't even tell the difference between those 2.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Super Saiyan 4 to me is like Bardock. the first time they appear, you love it and its great.

Then you see what it inspires and you wish it never existed.

I mean look at this shit

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Totamo wrote:
Asura wrote:
Totamo wrote:

Just look:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

I still don't understand the point you're trying to make. SSB is a recolor of SSJ. SSJ was not a recolor because it was the original, hence there was nothing to "recolor" off of.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Asura wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Asura wrote:

Just look:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

I still don't understand the point you're trying to make. SSB is a recolor of SSJ. SSJ was not a recolor because it was the original, hence there was nothing to "recolor" off of.
Oh I see.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:31 pm

After the original SSJ form, SSJ4 is my next favorite transformation. A lot of creativity went into that and I appreciate that. So no you're not the only one
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:55 pm

Like everyone else says. SS4 is a cool looking form. But I appreciate simplicity which is why I gravitate more towards the God and Blue form.

The only issue I have with SSJ4 is the name. It just doesn't feel like a SSJ form. It's not just because of the lack of gold hair. It's more how it's achieved. Feels like a different kind of Saiyan transformation all together. If not for that I'd say it would be perfect.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:08 pm

I dislike GT personally but SSJ4 is certainly innovate. Super Saiyan God and Blue are just recolorings, nothing else.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Its pinky alone is more innovative than the entirety of either of the God forms. Super Saiyan 4 actually feels like the true god form of the saiyan species. It's the most unique and distinguished form of all. It fits more in line with the saiyans than arguably any other form.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:22 pm

Alee9977 wrote:That was the only good thing about GT, I still want to know how the hell the pants grew with Goku.
Would you rather they didn't?

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:39 pm

I respect SSJ4 but if GT was directed better and had a more serious feel to it, I'd treat it far more seriously. As of today I'm liking Super a lot more than GT...

I would have liked the idea of a combo between SSJ4 (the design of it) and SSG. I do love the deep voice. Fits Goku really well in his most powerful forms.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku