The 28 planets debacle

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The 28 planets debacle

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 27, 2017 2:56 pm

I've just rewatched Movie 14 extended version and I forgot that it was said Kaioshin had created new planets. So for all the people complaining about there being only 28 planets, remember that could be less planets. :P
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm

In episode 92 of Super Beerus says the universe is huge and he's like why are we only stuck with you earthlings. I feel like Super doesnt even try to notice its own established.

In my opinion the 28 planets line is the worst lore defining crime any dragon ball series has ever seen.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:55 pm

nato25 wrote:In episode 92 of Super Beerus says the universe is huge and he's like why are we only stuck with you earthlings. I feel like Super doesnt even try to notice its own established.

In my opinion the 28 planets line is the worst lore defining crime any dragon ball series has ever seen.
Yep I laughed real hard when Beerus said it's huge XD
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat May 27, 2017 9:56 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
nato25 wrote:In episode 92 of Super Beerus says the universe is huge and he's like why are we only stuck with you earthlings. I feel like Super doesnt even try to notice its own established.

Yep I laughed real hard when Beerus said it's huge XD
Maybe "28 planets" is huge enough for Beerus :lol:

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:06 pm

The fact that we have to make excuses like the one above is why it's a dumb line, nearly the entire fan base is unhappy with it and we have to make all these huge justifications like Buu explained heaps of planets.

It's obvious we were lead to believe the universe is full of heaps of galaxies which themselves are then full of planets. The Frieza Force, the way there are 4 kai's reigning over quadrants, how far apart Earth and Namek are. To just have all that scaled back and for us to have to rethink everything about how this universe works just sucks.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sat May 27, 2017 11:15 pm

Dbs just keeps tripping over itself. Of course the 28 planets thing is ridiculous and a huge mistake..not only for the future of dbs but for the established lore of dbz.

Thank you Beerus for clearing things up.

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Sat May 27, 2017 11:44 pm

Well, to be fair it is huge...there just isn't much in it :lol:
I was really disappointed with 28 planets reveal. I'm not saying it's completely imposible, it's just very....lame to me. They should not have limited the Universe like that.
I wonder if this is true for all the other Universes as well? Or is it just do to the incompetence of Beerus and Supreme Kai? Well, I guess there must be a reason we are at the bottom of the list.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:00 pm

SSG Goku vs Beerus fight almost destroying the Universe is something that happens in the manga too. In the anime, they just show it more in detail.
My headcanon is that fight destroyed much more than we thought.

We algo got this in ROF:
Speedster wrote:
ChaosLordBrandon wrote:Did any body post this image? I found it on narutoforums.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yes, it was me who posted this in the in-universe board. I posted it here together with a list of the planets with mortals that appeared or referenced throughout the series.
Champa was also destroying planets of Universe 7 when looking for the Super Dragon Balls and he didn't just destroy six, because sometimes they got it wrong and destroyed other planets.

In ROF, Freeza's empire is confirmed to be a joke nowadays and when you add the other factors it's not surprising they have lost so many planets.

Freeza's empire was much bigger. 28 planets with life is the number we have now.

Shin is still bad at this job yeah, but there's other factors to consider.

There's nothing wrong with Beerus saying their Universe is huge with just 28 planets, especially when that was followed by him being angry that Goku was just recruiting people from Earth.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:16 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Champa was also destroying planets of Universe 7 when looking for the Super Dragon Balss and he didn't just destroy six, because sometimes they got it wrong and destroyed other planets.

In the manga we even see him destroying a Freeza's planet:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
What Champa destroys in the manga is the spaceship where Guarana is. Sorbet and rest are safe in planet Frieza 17 that isn't destroyed.
Heno heno kappa!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Basako wrote: What Champa destroys in the manga is the spaceship where Guarana is. Sorbet and rest are safe in planet Frieza 17 that isn't destroyed.
You're right. My bad.

Edited
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sunkensheep

Post by sunkensheep » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:29 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Basako wrote: What Champa destroys in the manga is the spaceship where Guarana is. Sorbet and rest are safe in planet Frieza 17 that isn't destroyed.
You're right. My bad.

Edited
Champa doesn't destroy that planet, but on chapter 6 of the first volume of the manga it's shown that before doing their food challenge, Beerus and Champa used to fight jumping from one planet to another and destroying them in the process. In that segment alone it is shown that they destroy 6 planets, at least one of them with primitive civilization. I'm not sure which universe was that, but it seems something that they did regularly, so having just 28 planets starts to seem plausible.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:24 pm

So it turns out, in the latest chapter of the Dragon Ball Super manga, the "28 planets of life in all of Universe 7" was in the manga. Implying that this may be a specific bit of lore that Toriyama wanted to include.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:So it turns out, in the latest chapter of the Dragon Ball Super manga, the "28 planets of life in all of Universe 7" was in the manga. Implying that this may be a specific bit of lore that Toriyama wanted to include.
Greeaaattt lol. I guess ill keep using my justification that there are only 28 planets with life that have mortals strong enough to consider for a tournament like this. Ie. Mortals that are at least around Roshi/Tien/Krillin level.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Which makes sense. There's obviously millions of planets like in real life with no life and are just gas giants or barren wastelands like Mars. Or other planets where the only life is small bacteria or small animals, and not any intelligent beings, much less fighters.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:54 pm

I think people here had the notion that the universe only had 28 planets when that’s not the case. There’re only 28 planets with humans, not 28 planets in the entirety of the universe. So, the universe is huge even though there’re 28 planets with human life on it. Countless galaxies make up the universe. I’m pretty sure Beerus was furious that they couldn’t find another warrior worthy of being part of the team and the Freeza Army was bound to have someone strong in it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:So it turns out, in the latest chapter of the Dragon Ball Super manga, the "28 planets of life in all of Universe 7" was in the manga. Implying that this may be a specific bit of lore that Toriyama wanted to include.
That obviously came from Toriyama. I’m 100% sure the tingly-back SSJ thing also comes from Toriyama. Caulifla going SSJ before the tournament will be in the manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:17 pm

precita wrote:Which makes sense. There's obviously millions of planets like in real life with no life and are just gas giants or barren wastelands like Mars. Or other planets where the only life is small bacteria or small animals, and not any intelligent beings, much less fighters.
My only quarrel with this is idea is how the saiyans used to operate. Sending infants and other saiyans to conquer all life on the planets. This obviously meant to mean hostile human life. Why would Frieza even bother with this when I'm sure his force of alien soldiers could handle wildlife.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:27 pm

nato25 wrote:My only quarrel with this is idea is how the saiyans used to operate. Sending infants and other saiyans to conquer all life on the planets. This obviously meant to mean hostile human life. Why would Frieza even bother with this when I'm sure his force of alien soldiers could handle wildlife.
Unless someone in the manga asks these questions and gets an answer for them, It's clearly just a retcon with no in-universe explanation. It's like Freeza destroying the Saiyans planet because Beerus told him to even though they drilled in our brain that it was because of his fear of Saiyans.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:23 pm

sintzu wrote:
nato25 wrote:My only quarrel with this is idea is how the saiyans used to operate. Sending infants and other saiyans to conquer all life on the planets. This obviously meant to mean hostile human life. Why would Frieza even bother with this when I'm sure his force of alien soldiers could handle wildlife.
Unless someone in the manga asks these questions and gets an answer for them, It's clearly just a retcon with no in-universe explanation. It's like Freeza destroying the Saiyans planet because Beerus told him to even though they drilled in our brain that it was because of his fear of Saiyans.
Yeah i dont like that line either but i toss that up to a kind of two birds with one stone thing as to why Frieza did that. This retcon just sucks, would have been better saying nothing.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:59 pm

nato25 wrote:
Greeaaattt lol. I guess ill keep using my justification that there are only 28 planets with life that have mortals strong enough to consider for a tournament like this. Ie. Mortals that are at least around Roshi/Tien/Krillin level.
Or here is a thought, We just accept the line and move on? Seriously guys, Retcons in dragon ball have been happening since the beginning. The dragon balls themselves were retconned in the 3rd arc of the series going from 1 year to activate to less than I think 7 months. The wishes even changed numbers. Goku being a saiyan was a retcon as it changes what we thought we knew about the character. The jaco manga even stated that there weren't that many planets with life on them.