The 28 planets debacle

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The 28 planets debacle

Post by kidhero1000 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:32 am

All they could of had Kaioshin say was that there are unto millions of lifeforms in the universe, but 48 hrs isn't enough time to scour the entirely of it looking to gauge the combat prowess of every civilization that exists. I would of been happy with that excuse. :(
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:05 am

Just another thing the series is doing to make the Dragon World feel smaller.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:12 am

Very much like the Marvel and DC versions of the universe...keep it small or the plot becomes too complicated. Too many populated worlds and a huge universe containing trillions of planets is beyond the scope of most narratives. Leave that for Valerian or Star Wars...

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:15 am

dougo13 wrote:...keep it small or the plot becomes too complicated.
We're far past that point.
Retired.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:06 am

Known planet with life-form:
- Dark Star (Yakon's home planet)
- Freeza No.448 (Inhabitants rebelled on this one)
- Litt (Inhabited)
- Metamor (Home planet of the Metamorans.)
- New Namek (he new home planet of the Namekians after the destruction of the original Namek.)
- Popol (It is inhabited by frogs that have golden yellow droppings.)
- Yardrat (The planet where Goku learned Instant Transmission.)
- Zoon (Home planet of Pui Pui)
- Watrin (There's food on it)
- Nebula 65 (There's food on it)
- Zuno's planet
- Wagashi (Home planet of Monaka)
- Gaspa (There's dinosaur whose vomit looks like soup)
- Banna
- Earth
- Manu (A planet mentioned by Beerus in Resurrection ‘F’. It is said that giant toad live here.)
- Potofeu (Home planet of Potage)
- Snak (A inhabited by Snakians. Galbi is the hero of the planet and traveled to Earth to fight Mr. Satan.)
- Monser (There's food on it)

Destroyed:
- Vegeta (Saiyans)
- Namek (Namek)
- Sadla

Unknown:
- Mayonna (Exists in Universe 6, but don't know if it was destroyed in our universe)
- Swetts (Exists in Universe 6, but don't know if it was destroyed in our universe)
- Sorert (Exists in Universe 6, but don't know if it was destroyed in our universe)
- Metalman (Exists in Universe 6, but don't know if it was destroyed in our universe)
- Jupiter (No life-form?)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:21 am

28 planets with mortal or semi-intelligent life.

Planets with just bugs, microrganisms, plants, or dinosaur like creatures probably don't count, as they can't use them in a tournament obviously.

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:49 am

It is definitely meant to be 28 planets with sapient (aka mortal) life. Animal life, although life, doesn't count as mortal life. And there might exist tons of planets with animal life and plants but no mortals and for all we know the creation of sapient life on these planets might be under progress through evolution. But evolution takes millions upon millions of years to complete. On Earth it is estimated that since the very first living organisms (cells with nucleus) it took over 2 billion years for life to evolve into human beings and then another 5 milion years into civilised humans. Kaioshins don't fret over nothing when a planet they created is destroyed. It might have been a planet in the middle of several millions of years of evolution towards intelligent life or if it’s an already evolved one they know how freaking long it takes to be replaced. It is like a forest. It takes 80 years to grow but 1 moment to get burned by fire. Kid Buu was said to have destroyed hundreds of planets (with life) just about 5 millions years ago. That is like yesterday by evolution standards. Add to that the Saiyans, Freeza and Beerus and who knows else planet busting asshole and 28 remaining planets with sapient life is actually a large number.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:05 am

Frieza's empire being mostly Frieza Force outposts and now uninhabited planets makes a lot of sense. The whole purpose of his business is to snatch up desirable properties and flip them to the highest bidder, right? To a potential buyer, an empty planet without any inconvenient natives who might object to you moving in would be a lot more desirable than one that's still inhabited. What would Frieza want with an inhabited planet that he could sell except to use it as a farm for Frieza Force fodder? Does he make people pay Space Taxes?

We don't know the status of about half those planets too. How many of them might house refugee races who were displaced by Frieza?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:38 am

I'm quite sure this 28 mortals-inhabitated planets info is from Toriyama, as it's in line with what was said in Jaco's manga.
To me, it actually makes sense there are 28 planets with intelligent life in U7. Remember that Saiyans and Freezer's army went around planets killing all the population before selling it to other mortals. I remember Vegeta or Nappa (maybe it was Raditz?) stating they could wipe out Earth's population in around 1 month, so we know it doesn't take much time to conquer planets. Considering Freezer's army had thousand of soldiers and there were thousand of Saiyans before Freezer killed them, it's easy to assume they probably made lots of intelligent races go extinct. Saiyans also killed the Tsufurujins and it's stated in Super by Vegeta that they used to go around conquering planets.
We also don't even know if, for example, that primitive race whose planet was destroyed by Beerus in one of the first episodes of Super would count as an intelligent race, if they were still alive of course.
By the way (in our world) we know that we Earthlings are a very rare kind, and it's actually incredibly rare to have the ideal conditions on a planet to ensure life can grow, and evolution also takes milion of years. Many believe there MUST be other life other than us in the universe, and I also believe it too, but we don't know yet if the universe really is infinite and we also can't really rule out the possibility we are the only intelligent race in the universe.

In conclusion I would have preferred if they explained better why there are only 28 intelligent races in U7. They could have had Gohan say "What? Only 28?!" and Kaioshin would have explained that because of Beerus' destruction, Majin Buu, Freezer's organization, Saiyans and other disasters (one of which, for example, would be Jaco using the extinction bomb on mistake) there aren't many mortals-inhabitated planets anymore.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

RalfHookman

Post by RalfHookman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 am

To my post from yesterday, I'm adding more to the list of inconsistencies or pointless things in the past:

FORMER LIST:
[spoiler]* No reason for having 5 Kaioshins, 5 Kaios and even Kami for Earth - Kami seems obsolete, unnecessary.
* Aliens visiting Earth for the first time and being surprised - Hey, if they are advanced enough to travel long distances in space they should know one of 28 inhabited planets. EVERYONE CAN REMEMBER NAMES AND LOCATIONS OF 28 CITIES IN REAL WORLD! It is not different in the universal scale. Especially someone like Freeza and King Cold.
* North Kaio having problem with locating planet Namek - Jesus! How hard is to remember 28 planets!?
* Goku having problems with locating Namekians' KI, same goes for Kaioshin - For years I thought it was hard not only for distances, but because there was so many alien KIs around the universe.
* Vegeta searching for Goku before Freeza's visit to Earth - Seriously, was it really so hard to try visit one of 28 inhabited planets in the first place?
* Freeza's soldiers' multiple sentient species - They had to come from somewhere.
* Freeza's empire being not so impressive - Tell me, to whom he sold these planets and even why? WHAT HE NEEDED THE MONEY FOR!? For buying his wine he was seen drinking multiple times? Like, couldn't he take it by force?
* King Cold's place in the universe - What was his point besides being a tool to show Trunks' awesomeness?
* The sense of having planetary empire - Isn't it more reasonable to hold oppression on planets with civilizations rather on empty ones?
* Searching for Babidi - It makes it less impressive that Babidi ended on Earth. Besides, wouldn't it also justify why 10 warriors are chosen from Earth? IIRC, Babidi stated that this planet {Earth} has a lot of impressive powerful warriors. Meaning why he stayed on Earth with the Buu Egg - to collect the energy that he couldn't find nowhere else.
* Universe 6 and 7 being twins - Really? How can we name them twins if probably they are nothing alike now, when like more than 50% of planets are lost?[/spoiler]

NEW ADDITIONS:
* Universal Spirit Bomb being less impressive - WOW! Just WOW. Collecting energy from 28 planets, soooo impressive!
* King Kai's communicating via telepathy for Spirit Bomb - Like above. Soooo impressive. And when we add Spirit Bomb from DBGT, it's just a little better.
* Fukkatsu no F being pointless - They say the army resurrected Freeza because they couldn't control planets. How many!? TWO!? They wanted a third one and resurrected Freeza? Give me a break...
* Searching for New Namek being easier for Freeza's army - They want Dragon Balls right? The can recreate someone's body so damaged like Freeza's. CANNOT THEY INVENT SCANNER FOR POWER LEVELS ON GREATER SCALE? And look for that goddamn planet? Bulma could built a dragon radar with bigger range.

When I find more I will update.

Toei Animation NEEDS TO STOP with those shitty tidbits.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:20 am

Spot on fellow Polish DB fan.
This thing would've been fine if this were, like, the beginning of DBZ and everything was written around 28 planets. The justifications for this nonsense (I don't care if it was Toriyama or Toei who came up with this) people make up are feeble when you consider all the things established in the past.
GT may have been flawed but I feel like it was better at expanding the universe without adding a whole 12 of them.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:23 am

RalfHookman wrote:To my post from yesterday, I'm adding more to the list of inconsistencies or pointless things in the past:

FORMER LIST:
[spoiler]* No reason for having 5 Kaioshins, 5 Kaios and even Kami for Earth - Kami seems obsolete, unnecessary.
* Aliens visiting Earth for the first time and being surprised - Hey, if they are advanced enough to travel long distances in space they should know one of 28 inhabited planets. EVERYONE CAN REMEMBER NAMES AND LOCATIONS OF 28 CITIES IN REAL WORLD! It is not different in the universal scale. Especially someone like Freeza and King Cold.
* North Kaio having problem with locating planet Namek - Jesus! How hard is to remember 28 planets!?
* Goku having problems with locating Namekians' KI, same goes for Kaioshin - For years I thought it was hard not only for distances, but because there was so many alien KIs around the universe.
* Vegeta searching for Goku before Freeza's visit to Earth - Seriously, was it really so hard to try visit one of 28 inhabited planets in the first place?
* Freeza's soldiers' multiple sentient species - They had to come from somewhere.
* Freeza's empire being not so impressive - Tell me, to whom he sold these planets and even why? WHAT HE NEEDED THE MONEY FOR!? For buying his wine he was seen drinking multiple times? Like, couldn't he take it by force?
* King Cold's place in the universe - What was his point besides being a tool to show Trunks' awesomeness?
* The sense of having planetary empire - Isn't it more reasonable to hold oppression on planets with civilizations rather on empty ones?
* Searching for Babidi - It makes it less impressive that Babidi ended on Earth. Besides, wouldn't it also justify why 10 warriors are chosen from Earth? IIRC, Babidi stated that this planet {Earth} has a lot of impressive powerful warriors. Meaning why he stayed on Earth with the Buu Egg - to collect the energy that he couldn't find nowhere else.
* Universe 6 and 7 being twins - Really? How can we name them twins if probably they are nothing alike now, when like more than 50% of planets are lost?[/spoiler]

NEW ADDITIONS:
* Universal Spirit Bomb being less impressive - WOW! Just WOW. Collecting energy from 28 planets, soooo impressive!
* King Kai's communicating via telepathy for Spirit Bomb - Like above. Soooo impressive. And when we add Spirit Bomb from DBGT, it's just a little better.
* Fukkatsu no F being pointless - They say the army resurrected Freeza because they couldn't control planets. How many!? TWO!? They wanted a third one and resurrected Freeza? Give me a break...
* Searching for New Namek being easier for Freeza's army - They want Dragon Balls right? The can recreate someone's body so damaged like Freeza's. CANNOT THEY INVENT SCANNER FOR POWER LEVELS ON GREATER SCALE? And look for that goddamn planet? Bulma could built a dragon radar with bigger range.

As someone who loves (loved...) the lore of the dragonball universe I feel like this list is a little nickpicky. I'm not a fan of this particular piece of lore, but its not really a huge issue in and of itself. However the series as a whole has been reshaping my feelings towards the entire franchise which really saddens me personally. Anyway, the fact that it retroactively makes everyone in the Dragon World deity system look fair incompetent its what's concerning and makes me hate the concept of Beerus even more now. My understanding of what a God of Destruction is actually supposed to do is that they prevent powerful beings or civilizations from laying waste to the universe and get rid of the bad eggs and preserving the life kaioshin creates. Now, knowing that Beerus not only allowed Frieza to run around unchecked, but actually colluded with that @SShole to do things that were the exact opposite of his job I can't say I like Beerus at all. The guy literally is unbelievable incompetent. Did he honestly think nobody would notice there are only 28 planets with sentient life in the entirety of his universe and no one was going to question it? It seems like when he woke up he would preoccupy himself with getting Kaioshin to make more planets, not seeking out other fighters, food, or hosting tournaments. The baseball episode makes even less sense now because Zeno had already shown up and basically questions if they are doing their jobs. In fact threatening to destroy Earth makes even less sense now and if anything, even is Zeno didnt destroy universes for another million years or so, it would be totally on Beerus. And that's assumes there would even be any sentient life left.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:37 am

RalfHookman wrote:To my post from yesterday, I'm adding more to the list of inconsistencies or pointless things in the past:

FORMER LIST:

NEW ADDITIONS:

This does not even make sense as this is after all of the planets have been destroyed and this came from Toriyama himself. And the only two planets goku got energy from is new namek and earth, not a single other planet was shown for the Kid Buu spirit bomb.
Last edited by ChaosLordBrandon on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 am

dougo13 wrote:Very much like the Marvel and DC versions of the universe...keep it small or the plot becomes too complicated. Too many populated worlds and a huge universe containing trillions of planets is beyond the scope of most narratives. Leave that for Valerian or Star Wars...
We didn't even explore a single planet outside of old namek so why the do people even care that U7 has little planets?

And almost all of the vast majority of DC AND Marvels stories take place on earth or is about the earth. even they don't take some how earth is some how part of the comics story in some way.

Mostly everybody in the Justice League is from earth or lives or earth now and the green lantern group is filled with humans.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:03 am

The problem is that all of this is a bad retcon imo. They are doing all this mess because they want to find excuses with "the universe 7 sucks."

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:04 am

precita wrote:28 planets with mortal or semi-intelligent life.

Planets with just bugs, microrganisms, plants, or dinosaur like creatures probably don't count, as they can't use them in a tournament obviously.
This

Also planets with godly beings don't count. I've seen people list Zuno and King Kai's planet, not really the kinds of people who would be in consideration for a tournament of mortals are they?
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:13 am

LMAO Did any body post this image? I found it on narutoforums.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:16 am

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:LMAO Did any body post this image? I found it on narutoforums.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
What the!?! Was that the Resurrection F arc of Super or the movie itself? Because... holy shit. That's one hell of a coincidence. Or was this planned?

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:26 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
ChaosLordBrandon wrote:LMAO Did any body post this image? I found it on narutoforums.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
What the!?! Was that the Resurrection F arc of Super or the movie itself? Because... holy shit. That's one hell of a coincidence. Or was this planned?
This was planned, as I said this makes perfect sense with every thing that was stated in the jaco manga and the orginal manga.

Also this

The Galactic Patrol is lead by a king. Other than that, its structure is relatively unknown. The organization is extremely small, consisting of only thirty-eight members.

This is from the second Jaco chapter.

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:30 am

But what exactly is the question of Gohan