The 28 planets debacle

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: The 28 planets debacle

Post by Simere » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:34 am

The scale of the universe.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:38 am

TheMikado wrote:
Kishido wrote:Can someone explain menwhynit needed 5 Kais and 5 Kaioshins to manage this LOL.

And Freeza's empire looks like a joke now
And this is the crux of the issue, while it's perfectly logical that it could have happened in universe. With the number of deity figures around, it's difficult to imagine that this went on for so long unnoticed. I mean Beerus clearly knows what a mortal rating is so you would think once he gets down to a low number he might be worried about Zeno noticing he's been wiping things out on a whim or letting others go ahead and wipe things out.
The Kai's can't really do anything. They can look over the universe but never play a hand-on role. It's really Kaioshin that have the responsibility to create new life where it's been destroyed. And considering that Majin Boo killed all of the Kaioshin, excluding one, and that said Kaishion had his hands full with Babidi searching the universe in looking for ways to resurrect an ancient Djinn that was responsible for rampaging the universe and killing his fellow Gods, it's not hard to imagine that the amount of life in the universe dwindling to the point of there being only 28 planets with with any forms of life left in the universe, with Freeza and Beerus doing their thing.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 am

Who the fuck did Freeza sell anything too if there's barely anyone intelligent left to buy anything from him?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 am

I've went on and on over this utter and complete bullshit episode. I can tolerate a few terrible episodes because my expectations are extremely low. I know it'll never compare to dbz so I'm not as upset.

With that said the writing is so sloppy that they literally told us the reason their lazy asses don't explore other planets is because there's only 28 planets with life left...in the entire universe!!!

If I have to explain the 28 planets with a calm head and talking in universe only I'll just blame it on Majin Buu freeza and unknown Tyrants throughout the universe spanning back millions of years.

Also I believe Beerus to be somewhat of a new god to universe 7. The same can be said for the kioshins..they don't seem to know much about their universe.

As I mentioned in another thread; if we have 28 planets with life universe 9 must have like 6 or 10. Sounds about right for a kid story can't go triple digits for the kiddos sake.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:47 am

Simere wrote:The scale of the universe.
Lets see what the guidebooks have to say about this...

Daizenshuu 7:
エリア
Area
Means each region of the universe, which is divided into East, West, South, North. It is expressed as the "East Area" and the "West Area." The areas divided into East, West, South, North are governed by respective Kaiou.

地区
District
Earth is divided into 43 administrative sectors. Means one of those sectors. Also, the four areas of east, west, south, and north that the universe is divided into could each similarly be called districts. In other words, it means a sector split for convenience in administrative action.

銀河
Galaxy
A gathering of local planets in the universe. Planets gather and form a nebula, and beyond that, a collection of gathered nebulae is called a galaxy. The four Kaiou who rule over the east, west, south, and north [sections] of the universe actually govern these galaxies. Because the Kami in the Heavenly Realm and the Kaiou supervise the galaxies that exist infinitely in all the universe, the sections known as the East, West, South, and North Galaxies are denominations that came into use through their duty.
ekrolo2 wrote:Who the fuck did Freeza sell anything too if there's barely anyone intelligent left to buy anything from him?
I'm thinking Freeza had already made so much profit from planet trading that he started wiping out life on other planets for shits and giggles. It sounds really dumb, but it would be the sort of unnecessarily evil and vain shit that Freeza would do.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:04 am

julianix wrote:I've went on and on over this utter and complete bullshit episode. I can tolerate a few terrible episodes because my expectations are extremely low. I know it'll never compare to dbz so I'm not as upset.

With that said the writing is so sloppy that they literally told us the reason their lazy asses don't explore other planets is because there's only 28 planets with life left...in the entire universe!!!

If I have to explain the 28 planets with a calm head and talking in universe only I'll just blame it on Majin Buu freeza and unknown Tyrants throughout the universe spanning back millions of years.

Also I believe Beerus to be somewhat of a new god to universe 7. The same can be said for the kioshins..they don't seem to know much about their universe.

As I mentioned in another thread; if we have 28 planets with life universe 9 must have like 6 or 10. Sounds about right for a kid story can't go triple digits for the kiddos sake.
Like I said I really don't care either way but it does sounds like an essay a 5-6 year old would write:

The universe is really huge. It has many galaxies and more than 200 planets. That's a really big number of planets.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:08 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Lets see what the guidebooks have to say about this...
What did that tell you? Can't say I read anything noteworthy there, besides that they called the universe infinite.

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:38 am

1 Earth
2 Namek
3 Yakon
4 Frieza
5 Monaka
6 Zuno

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:51 am

Simere wrote:
What did that tell you? Can't say I read anything noteworthy there, besides that they called the universe infinite.
The Dragon Ball universe doesn't work in the same way our own universe does. There are basically four galaxies in the universe, but they're fucking huge. As within those galaxies are... more galaxies. As it would seem. If we're taking the new material into regards, where we clearly see there are several galaxies in the universe in Super.

It's all really confusing. :crazy:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:54 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Simere wrote:
The Dragon Ball universe doesn't work in the same way our own universe does. There are basically four galaxies in the universe, but they're fucking huge. As within those galaxies are... more galaxies. As it would seem. If we're taking the new material into regards, where we clearly see there are several galaxies in the universe in Super.

What you quoted above does not say there are 4 galaxies.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Simere wrote:

The four Kaiou who rule over the east, west, south, and north [sections] of the universe actually govern these galaxies.
But then again, the wording of that can be a bit confusing.

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:58 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Simere wrote:

No, north, east, west and south are not galaxies, in Japanese nobody calls them so, but they are called area. Galaxies in the Dragon Ball universe are endless

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: The Dragon Ball universe doesn't work in the same way our own universe does. There are basically four galaxies in the universe, but they're fucking huge. As within those galaxies are... more galaxies. As it would seem. If we're taking the new material into regards, where we clearly see there are several galaxies in the universe in Super.

The four Kaiou who rule over the east, west, south, and north [sections] of the universe actually govern these galaxies.
Of course that is customary with japanese to English translations :P
Bottomline is, galaxies are described and then it's just mentioned that the Kaio govern these galaxies, a specific amount is not given and seems to be born out of there being 4 Kaio and people equating that with 4 galaxies, though here it just says the Kaio have a section/area each, which would include "[...]the galaxies that exist infinitely in all the universe,[...]"

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Lupin879 wrote:1 Earth
2 Namek
3 Yakon
4 Frieza
5 Monaka
6 Zuno
Vegeta

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:05 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: What you quoted above does not say there are 4 galaxies.
Of course that is customary with japanese to English translations :P
Bottomline is, galaxies are described and then it's just mentioned that the Kaio govern these galaxies, a specific amount is not given and seems to be born out of there being 4 Kaio and people equating that with 4 galaxies, though here it just says the Kaio have a section/area each, which would include "[...]the galaxies that exist infinitely in all the universe,[...]"
Why are things so confusing and vague in Dragon Ball? :lol:

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:06 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
2 Namek
3 Yakon
4 Frieza
5 Monaka
6 Zuno
Vegeta
Dragon Ball has a macrocosm, ie universe 7. Now let's put aside the metaphysical realities, which are other universes, we talk about the physical universe. This is the universe in which mortals live. It is divided into four areas, not galaxies that is an inaccurate translation, in fact, for example in Japanese is 北 north エ リ ア area. The term galaxy refers to something bigger than our own.
Our galaxy is called a nebula.
So physical universe> area> galaxies> nebulae
Also galaxies are an infinite number in the infinite universe

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Universe 7 only had 1 inexperienced Kaioshin for hundreds of years, a God of Destruction who's always sleeping and a huge rampage by Majin Boo destroying many planets and killing countless people, not to mention the terror of Freeza so it's not too unbelievable. Yes it's true that Freeza was a planet broker, but lets not forget that planets all have their own precious resources and other things that can be sold for money, also they said that only 28 planets have "mortals" ("ningen"/humans) living on them, so there are probably loads of planets with non-humanoid lifeforms.
2 Namek
3 Yakon
4 Frieza
5 Monaka
6 Zuno
hmm lets think...there's also Yardrat, Litt and some of the other planets that the beings that Goku trained with in the afterlife came from (such as the ones who taught him the fusion dance, whoever they were). I think 28 planets probably covers the amount we know of from the manga, it's also a weirdly specific number, I'm just gonna wait for the corresponding manga chapter and see what that says on the matter.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Okay, I've just done some more digging and there really is only four galaxies, according to Herms:
The Universe
宇宙/Uchuu
Translation: the universe, space, outer space

The universe is the upper portion of the living world, and is the realm where Goku and the other main characters live and die. It’s the only portion of the DB world that even remotely resembles reality, being based off of the actual universe (or at least the universe as seen in countless sci-fi space operas like Star Wars). As such it consists of countless planets, stars, and other celestial bodies. Daizenshuu 7 explains that in the DB universe, a collection of planets forms a nebula, and a collection of nebulas forms a galaxy (in actual modern astronomy, nebula are collections of space dust and gas rather than planets, though the term was originally looser and included galaxies). There are four galaxies in the DB universe: north, south, east, and west.

These 4 galaxies serve as the governing areas for the gods, and so each one is overseen by the corresponding Kaio and Kaioshin. In fact, Daizenshuu 7 says that the “galaxies” of DB are merely administrational units used by the gods, and so there’s nothing stopping races from travelling from one galaxy to another, provided they have the technology to do so. So basically, these “galaxies” don’t have much reality as physical divisions, and are sort of like the boarders between countries. It’s not clear what significance the cardinal directions could have in space, but the map of the DB world shows what appear to be division lines between galaxies engraved into the living world’s outer walls, so that might have something to do with it.
So... there you have it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:11 pm

The Universe is a big place, I would imagine most planets don't have advance life on them. Most of them could be similar to the Planets in our Solar System or maybe just have only animal life, but nothing similar to humans.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Yep, there are really are only four galaxies and Daizenshuu 7 seems to have unnecessarily made things confusing.