Will people give up if humans/androids can withstand attacks from Gods/Super Saiyan Blue?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Re: Will people give up if humans/androids can withstand attacks from Gods/Super Saiyan Blue?

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:31 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
precita wrote:So as we know, Android 17 and 18 are only more powerful than a standard Super Saiyan 1. Piccolo is somewhere above that but below Super Saiyan 2 or Perfect Cell. Krillin, Tenshihan cannot possibly be near Freeza 100% on Namek, and Roshi is weaker than King Piccolo in Dragonball.

If you see these characters somehow withstanding and hurting characters on the level of Super Saiyan Blue or the other Gods, will people officially give up? At that point literally all form of logic or progression of power levels will be completely thrown out the window, and there will be no justification of how they can do something like that.

If anything like this happened back in DBZ, the characters would be vaporized or knocked out in one blast or attack. Will the crap really hit the fan and put a damper on this tournament if this happens?

Here is pretty much the crux of the issue.. Scale.
We've basically been told that a single SSG punch is enough to destroy the entire universe with a shockwave. We then futher exceed that by stacking SSB on top of that and exceeding it. Further we actually have Goku going SSB X KK X10. It would think that would make Goku at least 100x stronger if not 100s of x stronger than he was as a SSG when he could destroy the universe with a single punch. If Krillin is about to withstand the force of even Goku just breathing heavy it would feel completely unearned on Krillins side.
Power-scaling has really been an issue as old as time in Dragon Ball. We see Roshi blow up the fucking moon with a battle power of 180. Yet we see the likes of Goku, Raditz, and Piccolo, who are several times stronger than that, and the best they do is blow up mountains. And then when Vegeta powered up at the beginning of his fight against Goku in the Saiyan arc, he was created cyclones from it, turned the skies dark and literally made the whole world shake. And yet the only time we see anything even remotely similar to that is when Goku is powering up... into a SSJ3. Which is tens of millions stronger than anything we see in the Saiyan arc. And then later in the Namek arc, we see that you don't need a big gap in strength at all to kill you opponent, as clearly demonstrated with Vegeta and Zarbon fight each other. Hell, a very minuscule gap in power is more than enough to overwhelm and kill your opponent. And when Goku hits Vegeta, who has a BP of 18,000, with his KKx4 Kamehameha, which has a BP of over 32,000. How the hell does Vegeta not instantly die from that?

How does any of this add up?

It's the pitfalls of Toriyama's improvisational writing style, coupled with the awful power creep that has had a stranglehold on the plot of Dragon Ball from the Saiyan arc and beyond. Even though you know that a character with a battle power in the tens of thousands would wipe out the Earth by just powering up, you ultimately don't see that much in terms of display from a character that thousands, if not, millions of times stronger because there would simply be no Earth left, period. The best you're gonna get is lip service in terms of strength.

This is every series/franchise with super powered characters.

Why do dragon ball fans think there series is the only that does this, I have no idea,

This has been a thing in the Shounen genre and super powered character series before DB was even thought of. '

DC and Marvel basically created this thing lol.

Alfred a normal old human did this to superman just by eating a pill :lol: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Believe me there are much worse examples than this and they occur in the same exact comic series, not even different ones to.

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Re: Will people give up if humans/androids can withstand attacks from Gods/Super Saiyan Blue?

Post by Roronoa-pt » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:45 am

Miracles wrote:But...But...Mai took an attack from Goku Black, a god, Bro!!!
The blast didn't directly hit Mai.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:51 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Power-scaling has really been an issue as old as time in Dragon Ball.
This. The characters have always been as durable as the plot requires them to be. Raditz was ~3x stronger than Piccolo and Goku and he was hurting them badly, yet they were able to withstand blows from the vastly stronger Frieza without being killed instantly. Besides, Goku and Gohan aren't going to go all-out against one of their weaker friends in a sparring match.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:04 pm

Guys, the whole shot of SSJ Blue Goku Vs Krillin in the preview must obviously be some battle match within their own minds, like Gohan and Goku? (Don't remember who it was anymore) did in the last episode. With someone asking what they did, and the Kaioshin commenting that they were in a meditative state battling eachother. Any half rational writer would NEVER have Goku going SSJ Blue against freakin Krillin of all people. It's called reason and logic.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:09 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Guys, the whole shot of SSJ Blue Goku Vs Krillin in the preview must obviously be some battle match within their own minds, like Gohan and Goku? (Don't remember who it was anymore) did in the last episode. With someone asking what they did, and the Kaioshin commenting that they were in a meditative state battling eachother. Any half rational writer would NEVER have Goku going SSJ Blue against freakin Krillin of all people. It's called reason and logic.
This is super, that's thrown out of the window.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:18 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Guys, the whole shot of SSJ Blue Goku Vs Krillin in the preview must obviously be some battle match within their own minds, like Gohan and Goku? (Don't remember who it was anymore) did in the last episode. With someone asking what they did, and the Kaioshin commenting that they were in a meditative state battling eachother. Any half rational writer would NEVER have Goku going SSJ Blue against freakin Krillin of all people. It's called reason and logic.
No there not going to do a another image training in this episode like it was in the last one not only that it doesn't even look its image training besides we need to see this episode this saturday instead of jumping the gun.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:23 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

Here is pretty much the crux of the issue.. Scale.
We've basically been told that a single SSG punch is enough to destroy the entire universe with a shockwave. We then futher exceed that by stacking SSB on top of that and exceeding it. Further we actually have Goku going SSB X KK X10. It would think that would make Goku at least 100x stronger if not 100s of x stronger than he was as a SSG when he could destroy the universe with a single punch. If Krillin is about to withstand the force of even Goku just breathing heavy it would feel completely unearned on Krillins side.
Power-scaling has really been an issue as old as time in Dragon Ball. We see Roshi blow up the fucking moon with a battle power of 180. Yet we see the likes of Goku, Raditz, and Piccolo, who are several times stronger than that, and the best they do is blow up mountains. And then when Vegeta powered up at the beginning of his fight against Goku in the Saiyan arc, he was created cyclones from it, turned the skies dark and literally made the whole world shake. And yet the only time we see anything even remotely similar to that is when Goku is powering up... into a SSJ3. Which is tens of millions stronger than anything we see in the Saiyan arc. And then later in the Namek arc, we see that you don't need a big gap in strength at all to kill you opponent, as clearly demonstrated with Vegeta and Zarbon fight each other. Hell, a very minuscule gap in power is more than enough to overwhelm and kill your opponent. And when Goku hits Vegeta, who has a BP of 18,000, with his KKx4 Kamehameha, which has a BP of over 32,000. How the hell does Vegeta not instantly die from that?

It's the pitfalls of Toriyama's improvisational writing style, coupled with the awful power creep that has had a stranglehold on the plot of Dragon Ball from the Saiyan arc and beyond. Even though you know that a character with a battle power in the tens of thousands would wipe out the Earth by just powering up, you ultimately don't see that much in terms of display from a character that thousands, if not, millions of times stronger because there would simply be no Earth left, period. The best you're gonna get is lip service in terms of strength.

Why do dragon ball fans think there series is the only that does this, I have no idea,

This has been a thing in the Shounen genre and super powered character series before DB was even thought of. '

Alfred a normal old human did this to superman just by eating a pill :lol: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Believe me there are much worse examples than this and they occur in the same exact comic series, not even different ones to.
I don't get it either every franchise suffer this not just dragon ball.
Pre recton beyonder got hit with an attack that could slagged several billion dimensions and yet it didn't even destroyed the house they were in let alone the universe.
There tons of moments where characters in fiction could destroy the earthby flexing yet it never happens most of the time.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:38 pm

I gave up when Trunks skipped from SSj2 to Goku and Vegeta level in just two days.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:10 pm

pacz360 wrote:
ChaosLordBrandon wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Power-scaling has really been an issue as old as time in Dragon Ball. We see Roshi blow up the fucking moon with a battle power of 180. Yet we see the likes of Goku, Raditz, and Piccolo, who are several times stronger than that, and the best they do is blow up mountains. And then when Vegeta powered up at the beginning of his fight against Goku in the Saiyan arc, he was created cyclones from it, turned the skies dark and literally made the whole world shake. And yet the only time we see anything even remotely similar to that is when Goku is powering up... into a SSJ3. Which is tens of millions stronger than anything we see in the Saiyan arc. And then later in the Namek arc, we see that you don't need a big gap in strength at all to kill you opponent, as clearly demonstrated with Vegeta and Zarbon fight each other. Hell, a very minuscule gap in power is more than enough to overwhelm and kill your opponent. And when Goku hits Vegeta, who has a BP of 18,000, with his KKx4 Kamehameha, which has a BP of over 32,000. How the hell does Vegeta not instantly die from that?

I don't get it either every franchise suffer this not just dragon ball.
Pre recton beyonder got hit with an attack that could slagged several billion dimensions and yet it didn't even destroyed the house they were in let alone the universe.
There tons of moments where characters in fiction could destroy the earthby flexing yet it never happens most of the time.
I agree, but I don't see why we use it as a baseline. I'm only comparing the scaling within the series. You don't validate someone saying 1+1=3 with the counter argument that 2+2= 3 is also wrong. I'm just saying it's all bad and it shouldn't be. Especially when the franchise has been slightly more consistent previously.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Some people may say they are done with Super and then come back next week.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:32 pm

sintzu wrote:If ? Krillin will be fighting SsjB next episode so we're already there.
Well said. They really love the midget. :mrgreen:

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:MajinMan hit the nail on the head with his post. There's nothing wrong with wanting consistency in power strength. But if Dragon Ball Super went down the conventional route of power scaling, then really nobody would matter in the plot beyond Goku and Vegeta. And Super is already dealing with major complaints that Goku and Vegeta do everything the show. So having guys like Roshi, Tenshinhan and Krillin being brought back into prominence is a very welcome direction to me.
Tenshinhan was brought back into prominence? Where? He wasn't even considered for the team.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:MajinMan hit the nail on the head with his post. There's nothing wrong with wanting consistency in power strength. But if Dragon Ball Super went down the conventional route of power scaling, then really nobody would matter in the plot beyond Goku and Vegeta. And Super is already dealing with major complaints that Goku and Vegeta do everything the show. So having guys like Roshi, Tenshinhan and Krillin being brought back into prominence is a very welcome direction to me.
Tenshinhan was brought back into prominence? Where? He wasn't even considered for the team.
But we know he's going to be in the team. Or he wouldn't have been advertised in Universal Survival arc.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:30 am

Roronoa-pt wrote:
Miracles wrote:But...But...Mai took an attack from Goku Black, a god, Bro!!!
The blast didn't directly hit Mai.
I was being sarcastic.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:59 am

Shinda Forever wrote:
sintzu wrote:If ? Krillin will be fighting SsjB next episode so we're already there.
Well said. They really love the midget. :mrgreen:
With all the mockery and hate people have given Krillin over the years (for the stupidest reasons), if he went toe to toe with SSB, I'd lol for hours and would cheer him on. This is not going to happen though. I do not understand how 1 shot from the preview makes people think (almost guarantee for some!) that Krillin will hurt Goku...it's ridiculous. It's the same people who jumped to hasty conclusions about Krillin vs Basil lol. Simply wait for the episode...

As for a potential Krillin (extreme) power up, the only reason I'm awaiting it is to finally cement the fact that he is the strongest of the Earthlings as Toriyama stated. If by some chance he turns out not to be and they make Tien stronger than him, fine, but a power up for any of the Earthlings is more than welcome in my book.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 am

We've already had a bullet draw blood from Krillin and another from a pistol bruise Goku when the same kind of bullet fired from Bulma did a similar job in chapter 1.
Not to mention the infamous laser scene.
I think it's safe to say that the people who would have quit from the inconsistent power levels already have given up by now.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:13 am

GigaDrill wrote:We've already had a bullet draw blood from Krillin and another from a pistol bruise Goku when the same kind of bullet fired from Bulma did a similar job in chapter 1.
I think it's safe to say that the people who would have quit from the inconsistent power levels already have given up by now.
You...you do know dragon ball was a gag manga at the beginning, right?

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:16 am

Totamo wrote:
GigaDrill wrote:We've already had a bullet draw blood from Krillin and another from a pistol bruise Goku when the same kind of bullet fired from Bulma did a similar job in chapter 1.
You...you do know dragon ball was a gag manga at the beginning, right?
Yes, why?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:32 am

DainIronfoot wrote:I do not understand how 1 shot from the preview makes people think that Krillin will hurt Goku.
Goku using that form while training with him is a problem. Goku's Saiyan arc power would be enough to kill Krillin by looking at him yet here he's using something he'd normally use on the likes of Beerus ?

I've never cared about power levels and have always avoided their topics cause they were never that bad in the original but Super's writers have gone out of their way to show that not only do they not care about established power levels but also the logic that the story is built on.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:05 am

sintzu wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:I do not understand how 1 shot from the preview makes people think that Krillin will hurt Goku.
Goku using that form while training with him is a problem. Goku's Saiyan arc power would be enough to kill Krillin by looking at him yet here he's using something he'd normally use on the likes of Beerus ?

I've never cared about power levels and have always avoided their topics cause they were never that bad in the original but Super's writers have gone out of their way to show that not only do they not care about established power levels but also the logic that the story is built on.
Your judging on preview instead waiting to see the episode this week who knows why goku went blue plus krillin had a power level of 75,000 by the end of namek so no saiyan saga goku gets stomped.
Wait and see the episode instead of judging shit that haven't happened yet.