"Dragon Ball Super" Brazilian Portuguese Dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Brazilian Portuguese Dub

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:40 am

Danfun64 wrote:
Acetona wrote:the dub is full of non-sense jokes at this point, whatever.
The Brazilian Portuguese dub is full of non-sense jokes? Damn, I thought that was mainly concerning the Portugal Portuguese dub.
SaintEvolution wrote:It was a catalan/french dub-level of non-dubbing screams.
Does the French dub starting with kai have the same issue of not dubbing screams? What about the catalan dub starting with kai? Did the galacian dub and the Spain Spainish dub have the same problem and has it also been fixed starting with Kai?
The french dub of kai dubs screams except at one point when Legrand fucked up his vocal cords after screaming in Battle of Gods.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:47 am

Danfun64 wrote:
Acetona wrote:the dub is full of non-sense jokes at this point, whatever.
The Brazilian Portuguese dub is full of non-sense jokes? Damn, I thought that was mainly concerning the Portugal Portuguese dub.
Well, the dub is not "full" of jokes. They are just inserting some jokes in Super. But that is annoying some fans, and not without reasons, since that was not a common thing in the brazilian dub of Dragon Ball series. Somehow that has some influence of the brazilian dub of One Punch Man, that has a lot of brazilian jokes and slangs inserted in the scripts.

Also, this week we will finally see tthe Ultra Instinct debut scene dubbed officially into brazilian portuguese. I'm really excited to see it.

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Danfun64 wrote:The Brazilian Portuguese dub is full of non-sense jokes? Damn, I thought that was mainly concerning the Portugal Portuguese dub.
Yeah. There are tons of popular culture references just for the sake of it. The characters's lines are full of slangs, even people who are supposed to be polite. It's a total mess, and people just praise it because Yu Yu Hakusho's dub was full of this mockery. Nostalgia at its finest. One Punch Man also got the same treatment, but it's a bit tolerable because the jokes aren't as frequent and is mostly done on comedy scenes (I guess, since I haven't watched anything but random clips).
SaintEvolution wrote:Well, the dub is not "full" of jokes. They are just inserting some jokes in Super. But that is annoying some fans, and not without reasons, since that was not a common thing in the brazilian dub of Dragon Ball series. Somehow that has some influence of the brazilian dub of One Punch Man, that has a lot of brazilian jokes and slangs inserted in the scripts.

Also, this week we will finally see tthe Ultra Instinct debut scene dubbed officially into brazilian portuguese. I'm really excited to see it.
In a 4 minutes clip I just watched, I counted like 5 of these jokes. It is indeed full of them.
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Acetona wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:The Brazilian Portuguese dub is full of non-sense jokes? Damn, I thought that was mainly concerning the Portugal Portuguese dub.
Yeah. There are tons of popular culture references just for the sake of it. The characters's lines are full of slangs, even people who are supposed to be polite. It's a total mess, and people just praise it because Yu Yu Hakusho's dub was full of this mockery. Nostalgia at its finest. One Punch Man also got the same treatment, but it's a bit tolerable because the jokes aren't as frequent and is mostly done on comedy scenes (I guess, since I haven't watched anything but random clips).
SaintEvolution wrote:Well, the dub is not "full" of jokes. They are just inserting some jokes in Super. But that is annoying some fans, and not without reasons, since that was not a common thing in the brazilian dub of Dragon Ball series. Somehow that has some influence of the brazilian dub of One Punch Man, that has a lot of brazilian jokes and slangs inserted in the scripts.

In a 4 minutes clip I just watched, I counted like 5 of these jokes. It is indeed full of them.
The only polite character who says those jokes and slangs actually is Whis. If the 4 minutes clip you have watched contains him talking, so yeah, it will have a lot of popular culture slangs.

Whis, Champa, and maybe Quitela, Caulifla and Goku sometimes (like in the moment when Goku called 17 as "malandrão" after he defeated Vikal and Kakunsa) are the characters who are most saying this kind of stuff in the dub. The rest of them, not so much.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:34 pm

According to Marcelo del Greco (one of the series' translators), he added the Broly reference a week before the movie was announced but he later changed his mind, and asked Unidub to change the line but it was too late.

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:27 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:The only polite character who says those jokes and slangs actually is Whis. If the 4 minutes clip you have watched contains him talking, so yeah, it will have a lot of popular culture slangs.

Whis, Champa, and maybe Quitela, Caulifla and Goku sometimes (like in the moment when Goku called 17 as "malandrão" after he defeated Vikal and Kakunsa) are the characters who are most saying this kind of stuff in the dub. The rest of them, not so much.
I saw some of those jokes from Maji Kayo (not saying he's supposed to be polite btw). It didn't even make sense, his line didn't flow with the conversation.
But yeah, Goku is like in every episode, so it gets extremely annoying. He sounds like an old man trying to sound "cool" to get along with his young nephews...
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:19 pm

Dado Monteiro confirmed to a member of the Dublanet forum that he returned to voice Broly, but Ricardo Bressan didn't returned to voice Paragus, probably he was replaced by Luiz Carlos de Moraes, like in trailer 2.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:25 am

Wendel Bezerra made a video with Dado Monteiro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eEkkvYWUUk

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:37 pm

I don't like much the route this dub is leading to with all these insert jokes, I would prefer something more close to the original apart a few adaptations.
gregoryluis09 wrote:Dado Monteiro confirmed to a member of the Dublanet forum that he returned to voice Broly, but Ricardo Bressan didn't returned to voice Paragus, probably he was replaced by Luiz Carlos de Moraes, like in trailer 2. Also Bezerra made a video with Dado Monteiro.
News like this makes me really happy, Monteiro has voiced Broly in Movie 8, fifteen years ago and him didn't believed people would remember him after so much time to reprise the same role again. About Bressan not returning I guess it's okay, but was Luiz Carlos de Moraes the voice of Dr. Gero on DBZ? It sounds like it.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:44 pm

Noah wrote: Luiz Carlos de Moraes the voice of Dr. Gero on DBZ? It sounds like it.
He voiced him only in GT. Who voiced him in Z was the late voice actor Aldo César.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Noah wrote:I don't like much the route this dub is leading to with all these insert jokes, I would prefer something more close to the original apart a few adaptations.
gregoryluis09 wrote:Dado Monteiro confirmed to a member of the Dublanet forum that he returned to voice Broly, but Ricardo Bressan didn't returned to voice Paragus, probably he was replaced by Luiz Carlos de Moraes, like in trailer 2. Also Bezerra made a video with Dado Monteiro.
News like this makes me really happy, Monteiro has voiced Broly in Movie 8, fifteen years ago and him didn't believed people would remember him after so much time to reprise the same role again. About Bressan not returning I guess it's okay, but was Luiz Carlos de Moraes the voice of Dr. Gero on DBZ? It sounds like it.
Well, looking the good side, I don't see the dub inserting many jokes/pop culture references now since the new episodes air in the next week.

If nothing goes wrong, we will finally see Ultra Instinct dubbed into brazilian portuguese in the next tuesday or wednesday.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Cartoon Network Brazil broadcasted episodes 109 and 110 today. Unfortunally, the transmission had a lot of issues, with audio delay and bugs like a black screen that appeared a lot cutting some parts of the episodes. I hope they'll fix it in the late night reprise.

About the dub, they dubbed the Ultimate Battle song and I think it was pretty good job, and Migatte no Goku'i/Ultra Instinct was officially translated as "Instinto Superior", that means "Superior Instinct" in a literal english translation. Also, "Instinto Superior" was already the official translation for the Crunchyroll and Xenoverse 2 subs, if I'm not wrong.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:16 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:Cartoon Network Brazil broadcasted episodes 109 and 110 today. Unfortunally, the transmission had a lot of issues, with audio delay and bugs like a black screen that appeared a lot cutting some parts of the episodes. I hope they'll fix it in the late night reprise.

About the dub, they dubbed the Ultimate Battle song and I think it was pretty good job, and Migatte no Goku'i/Ultra Instinct was officially translated as "Instinto Superior", that means "Superior Instinct" in a literal english translation. Also, "Instinto Superior" was already the official translation for the Crunchyroll and Xenoverse 2 subs, if I'm not wrong.
The black screen and sound delay problems didn't only happen in Brazil, they happened here too.

About Ultimate Battle, the original japanese version was kept.

ANMTVLA said it was dubbed but they ended up to be wrong but they weren't wrong about Migatte no Gokui being adapted as Ultra Instinto (Ultra Instinct).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Actually they didnt say it would be Ultra Instinct. Otherwise they wouldnt have put a whole dang new article today saying it was Ultra Instinct after all. I wanted to say this before that new article was put.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Actually they didnt say it would be Ultra Instinct. Otherwise they wouldnt have put a whole dang new article today saying it was Ultra Instinct after all. I wanted to say this before that new article was put.
Oh, I read the whole article again and after a facepalm... yeah, you are right. :oops:

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Tian wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:Cartoon Network Brazil broadcasted episodes 109 and 110 today. Unfortunally, the transmission had a lot of issues, with audio delay and bugs like a black screen that appeared a lot cutting some parts of the episodes. I hope they'll fix it in the late night reprise.

The black screen and sound delay problems didn't only happen in Brazil, they happened here too.

About Ultimate Battle, the original japanese version was kept.

ANMTVLA said it was dubbed but they ended up to be wrong but they weren't wrong about Migatte no Gokui being adapted as Ultra Instinto (Ultra Instinct).
I thought they would dub the song into spanish too. Shame they didn't, but I think some of the spanish fans liked it because of the bad job with the opening 2.

I recorded the episode 110 when it was broadcasted today, and I've listened the Ultra Instinct scene a few times till I could figure out the lyrics for the song.
Here are them:

À Ba Ba Ba Ba batalhar
Vou Vou Vou Vou ser mais forte
Já Já Já é hora de lutar
E vencer!
Eu quero só explodir todo meu poder! (2x)

Não Não Não Não acredito
É É É um poder incrível
Já Já Já eu vou desafiar o destino!
Porque o meu compromisso é
Sempre Vencer!

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Wait, I'm a little confused. So this Brazilian dub dubbed "Ultimate Battle", while the Spanish dub didn't?

Also, what's up with all of these errors going on at Cartoon Network? Don't they have any sort of quality control?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:07 pm

wjbraden wrote:Wait, I'm a little confused. So this Brazilian dub dubbed "Ultimate Battle", while the Spanish dub didn't?
Yup.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:43 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
wjbraden wrote:Wait, I'm a little confused. So this Brazilian dub dubbed "Ultimate Battle", while the Spanish dub didn't?
Yup.
Huh, that's kind of strange, considering both dubs have been translating all insert songs.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 pm

wjbraden wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Yup.
Huh, that's kind of strange, considering both dubs have been translating all insert songs.
When it come to anime licensed by Toei, that happened before with Digimon Savers. In the brazilian portuguese dub they produced a dubbed version for the insert song 'Believer', while in the latin american spanish dub they just lefted it in japanese.