"Dragon Ball Super" Brazilian Portuguese Dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Brazilian Portuguese Dub

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:14 am

Well its NOT from South America and Gerardo Reyero is a Terrific Freeza, he's just being terribly directed. He really does sound terrible but I still find your comment rude and unwarranted.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:25 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Well its NOT from South America and Gerardo Reyero is a Terrific Freeza, he's just being terribly directed. He really does sound terrible but I still find your comment rude and unwarranted.
Why is it rude, because I said I don't like is voice on Freeza? I'm sure a gigantic group of people like his voice on Freeza but I will never get used to see a Freeza with a very manly voice. Also I know "from" isn't the right word and that I should have used "in" instead, but your point of me not liking is voice being an attack still makes no sense to me.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 am

Kanious wrote:Did Trunks voice actress changed again? I watched the first episodes, then i skipped and now i'm watching the episode 24 and the voice seems different than before.
No, it didn't. Marina Santana's name is still in the credits. She just started to use a different tone since the episode 21 or 22.
Gafonso6 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I really dont understand why you needed to attack the Mexican dub like that. Which is on NORTH AMERICA.
I didn't attack it, I just used it as an example of a type of voice I don't like for Freeza. Also I know it's from Mexico but since it airs in all of South America except in Brazil it makes more sence to say "another dub from South America" in this thread.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Well its NOT from South America and Gerardo Reyero is a Terrific Freeza, he's just being terribly directed. He really does sound terrible but I still find your comment rude and unwarranted.
Calm down guys, you don't need to fight.

Anyway, talking about the latin american spanish dub, I see that Eduardo Garza is not making people happy with his voice direction.

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:28 pm

To be very honest, although I'm a huge fan of Campanile's voice and career, I never liked his portrayal of Freeza in Z. He was too manly and old to a character meant to be androgynous and a little childish. Hamilton Ricardo would've an better Freeza with a good director since he was talented, but we all know how was even the original cast doing Kai. I'm very happy to see Campanile doing a voice close to Nakao's and very happy we are getting the episodes/movies directly from Japan. Getting Z from Mexico and Kai from USA certainly made the brazilian dub to be far for perfect, but gladly still a terrific adaptation

Yes, I'm a very boring guy when dub is the matter. Just to exemplify, Wendel Bezerra sure is an icon since his many interviews in magazines back there on Band days, but I only started to like his voice in Namek :) . He even said once that he didn't like the show, but started to be a huge fan exactly in Namek, and I believe this was a huge factor to his voice and acting getting better episode by episode

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
Why is it rude, because I said I don't like is voice on Freeza? I'm sure a gigantic group of people like his voice on Freeza but I will never get used to see a Freeza with a very manly voice. Also I know "from" isn't the right word and that I should have used "in" instead, but your point of me not liking is voice being an attack still makes no sense to me.
Oh I thought you meant his voice was gay. Nevermind then.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Oh I thought you meant his voice was gay. Nevermind then.
No problem, just a misunderstanding, if anything I think is voice is not gay enough :lol:.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:59 pm

No Prob! I'm glad we could sort this out.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Ikazvyr wrote:To be very honest, although I'm a huge fan of Campanile's voice and career, I never liked his portrayal of Freeza in Z. He was too manly and old to a character meant to be androgynous and a little childish. Hamilton Ricardo would've an better Freeza with a good director since he was talented, but we all know how was even the original cast doing Kai. I'm very happy to see Campanile doing a voice close to Nakao's and very happy we are getting the episodes/movies directly from Japan. Getting Z from Mexico and Kai from USA certainly made the brazilian dub to be far for perfect, but gladly still a terrific adaptation

Yes, I'm a very boring guy when dub is the matter. Just to exemplify, Wendel Bezerra sure is an icon since his many interviews in magazines back there on Band days, but I only started to like his voice in Namek :) . He even said once that he didn't like the show, but started to be a huge fan exactly in Namek, and I believe this was a huge factor to his voice and acting getting better episode by episode
I wouldn't compare getting Z with Mexico with getting Kai with US. The brazilian dub of Z is still one of the best DBZ dubs around the world. And OK, this is not a hard thing to happen when almost the entire Europe had the AB Groupe adaptation, the english dubs were censored and distuned from the original version and some of the asian dubs were pretty bad too, but I think you got my point.
In Kai by the way they made pretty amateur mistakes, like the sound mixing errors. And for a dub did in 2011 that was totally unnaceptable. Álamo in 1999 did a far better work than BKS in 2011 with very less inferior technology, stuff and equipments in general.

Anyway, the third ending will be out in the next monday, right? In the case, when Cartoon Network airs the episode 26.
I'm pretty excited to hear Bruno Sutter's work with the song.

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:11 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:I wouldn't compare getting Z with Mexico with getting Kai with US. The brazilian dub of Z is still one of the best DBZ dubs around the world. And OK, this is not a hard thing to happen when almost the entire Europe had the AB Groupe adaptation, the english dubs were censored and distuned from the original version and some of the asian dubs were pretty bad too, but I think you got my point.
In Kai by the way they made pretty amateur mistakes, like the sound mixing errors. And for a dub did in 2011 that was totally unnaceptable. Álamo in 1999 did a far better work than BKS in 2011 with very less inferior technology, stuff and equipments in general.
Z being far from perfect have nothing to do with mixing problems or amateurism (and a few actors were amateurs in the Saiyan saga, no doubt), but translation problems/mistakes and taking voices very based on the mexican dub, or have you never realized that Bezerra and Castañeda both have similar tones? This also affected when they casted Campanile, a voice that we respect and we grew up, but no, his voice doesn't match Freeza

About translation adaptations, the scripts were mere spanish translations with some lines that work in that specific language, but not in portuguese (like "você não é tão bom assim, é um fracassado" being talked too fast with no punctuation, also being better translated in Kai; Goku calling Chi-Chi by Milk in the license filler), names and terms left untranslated (saiyajin, Namekusei and no consensus if the race that lives in that planet are namekuseijin or "nameko") and mistakes like calling the artificial humans by androids (this one also happened in FUNi/Ocean, that also used the same base: the latin dub) and calling Dr. Gero by Dr. Maki (later Maki Gero), something I'll never understand

But yeah, considering that DB dubs worldwide aren't that great, we could agree that Álamo's Z is one of the best, and is in my personal top 3 (the original audio for every series in first and FUNi's Kai in third)

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Ikazvyr wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:I wouldn't compare getting Z with Mexico with getting Kai with US. The brazilian dub of Z is still one of the best DBZ dubs around the world. And OK, this is not a hard thing to happen when almost the entire Europe had the AB Groupe adaptation, the english dubs were censored and distuned from the original version and some of the asian dubs were pretty bad too, but I think you got my point.
Z being far from perfect have nothing to do with mixing problems or amateurism (and a few actors were amateurs in the Saiyan saga, no doubt), but translation problems/mistakes and taking voices very based on the mexican dub, or have you never realized that Bezerra and Castañeda both have similar tones? This also affected when they casted Campanile, a voice that we respect and we grew up, but no, his voice doesn't match Freeza

About translation adaptations, the scripts were mere spanish translations with some lines that work in that specific language, but not in portuguese (like "você não é tão bom assim, é um fracassado" being talked too fast with no punctuation, also being better translated in Kai; Goku calling Chi-Chi by Milk in the license filler), names and terms left untranslated (saiyajin, Namekusei and no consensus if the race that lives in that planet are namekuseijin or "nameko") and mistakes like calling the artificial humans by androids (this one also happened in FUNi/Ocean, that also used the same base: the latin dub) and calling Dr. Gero by Dr. Maki (later Maki Gero), something I'll never understand

But yeah, considering that DB dubs worldwide aren't that great, we could agree that Álamo's Z is one of the best, and is in my personal top 3 (the original audio for every series in first and FUNi's Kai in third)
I agree, but the mexican scripts weren't exactly problematic or really that bad, and the names and pronounciations's changes were recorrected again in the brazilian translation, as "Milk"(Chichi) or "Freezer"(Freeza). So, even if the scripts weren't 100% perfect, they were the mostly accurated as possible for that time. If they had got the japanese scripts and translated them to portuguese I imagine the results wouldn't be much better; this talking about the scripts only.
In general, dubs at that time were far from perfection and not only in Brazil but for the entire world; but Álamo and the dubbing team did the best they could I think with Dragon Ball Z.
And we can still consider that Z was a very long series and they didn't had internet or other safe sources at that time. Errors like Goku calling Chichi as "milk" in the license filler were caused by these factors. I mean, when we compare this to the errors of the french dub or the hungarian dub, or even other brazilian portuguese anime dubs of the 90's, like Samurai X or the firsts versions of Saint Seiya and YuYu Hakusho, Álamo's work was superb.

I mean, to be more specific, you know that YuYu Hakusho and Saint Seiya were both redubbed in Brazil in 2003, and the redubs were far better than the original dubs; the voice actors were more matured that time, the mixing and scripts were a lot better too and I'm really glad they did it with SS and YYH; but for DBZ that never happen, and actually, I don't think it was even necessary to happen, since the quality standarts for the DBZ dub were a lot bigger and better than the ones for the 90's dubs of the other shows.

And about the actors being amateurs in the DBZ dub, until I know the newest ones on voice acting in that time were Raquel Marinho(Chichi), Wellington Lima(Raditz/Bardock/Majin Boo) and Luiz Laffey(Android 16/Burter). Raquel and Wellington started to work on voice acting in 1996 and Luiz Laffey in 1997, and the Z dub started in 1999. Excepting for them, most of the cast had at least more than 5 years of experience that time, some of the actors like Carlos Campanile and Orlando Viggiani had more than 40 years of acting experience that time. Amateurism wasn't a real problem.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:02 am

gregoryluis09 wrote:Ending 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_02h4Kyzbo
Oh dang. You guys get awesome endings sung by awesome singers. I wish the same could be said about Latin America but well...that's not case.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:11 pm

I don't remember about the JPN version, but couldn't they get the original Z Ginyu VA (Sergio Moreno) to do him in Episode 22? It would be way better than see Tagoma with his usual voice and would save us from the cringe flashback with Wellington Lima voicing Ginyu. Hope this doesn't become a habit.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Noah wrote:I don't remember about the JPN version, but couldn't they get the original Z Ginyu VA (Sergio Moreno) to do him in Episode 22? It would be way better than see Tagoma with his usual voice and would save us from the cringe flashback with Wellington Lima voicing Ginyu. Hope this doesn't become a habit.
Maybe they couldn't because Sergio was busy with his dubbing studio in Rio, Sergio Moreno Filmes.

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:14 am

Saw Campanile's Frost today. He not only nailed it: he did his natural voice and made an different tone from his Freeza. I liked it

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:47 pm

It's funny to watch at the same time Super and Kai TFC dubs. Even if they were produced by different companies with different direction there are some interesting things between them, like a few actors working on both dubs but doing different roles, like Daniel Figueira, that is voicing Kid Trunks in Kai TFC and Kyabe in Super, or Dlaigelles Riba, that is voicing Fuwa and Geppuman in Super and Spopovitch in Kai TFC, or even Glauco Marques(Zamasu), who did a lot of minor roles in Kai TFC.
Noah wrote:I don't remember about the JPN version, but couldn't they get the original Z Ginyu VA (Sergio Moreno) to do him in Episode 22? It would be way better than see Tagoma with his usual voice and would save us from the cringe flashback with Wellington Lima voicing Ginyu. Hope this doesn't become a habit.
Ginyu in the flashback and as a frog was dubbed by Marco Antônio Abreu, not Wellington Lima.
Tian wrote:
Maybe they couldn't because Sergio was busy with his dubbing studio in Rio, Sergio Moreno Filmes.
Yup, he lives in Rio de Janeiro since 2008 and doesn't work with anime stuff since that. He is very busy directing videogame localizations in his studio.

The only exception was in the last year, when he reprised his role in the game of Saint Seiya, that was localized in São Paulo.

Also, Marco Antônio Abreu replaced Sérgio Moreno in a lot of stuff since he moved to Rio. Patrick Star from Spongebob and Ginyu in Dragon Ball franchise are the biggest examples.
Ikazvyr wrote:Saw Campanile's Frost today. He not only nailed it: he did his natural voice and made an different tone from his Freeza. I liked it
To me, Campanile's voice for Frost sounded like his older interpretation of Freeza in the Z dub. But I really liked too.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Tian wrote:Maybe they couldn't because Sergio was busy with his dubbing studio in Rio, Sergio Moreno Filmes.
I thought so, anyway they should have hired another guy to voice Ginyu.
SaintEvolution wrote:Yup, he lives in Rio de Janeiro since 2008 and doesn't work with anime stuff since that. He is very busy directing videogame localizations in his studio. The only exception was in the last year, when he reprised his role in the game of Saint Seiya, that was localized in São Paulo.

Also, Ginyu in the flashback and as a frog was dubbed by Marco Antônio Abreu, not Wellington Lima.
Well, Krillin VA lives in Portugal and yet he can voice the character, but I'm not denying the difficulty of getting Sergio Moreno to the role.

Marco Antônio Abreu? Pardon, mate, but this laughter is unmistakable.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Noah wrote:
Tian wrote:Maybe they couldn't because Sergio was busy with his dubbing studio in Rio, Sergio Moreno Filmes.
I thought so, anyway they should have hired another guy to voice Ginyu.
SaintEvolution wrote:Yup, he lives in Rio de Janeiro since 2008 and doesn't work with anime stuff since that. He is very busy directing videogame localizations in his studio. The only exception was in the last year, when he reprised his role in the game of Saint Seiya, that was localized in São Paulo.

Also, Ginyu in the flashback and as a frog was dubbed by Marco Antônio Abreu, not Wellington Lima.
Well, Krillin VA lives in Portugal and yet he can voice the character, but I'm not denying the difficulty of getting Sergio Moreno to the role.

Marco Antônio Abreu? Pardon, mate, but this laughter is unmistakable.
Well, Fábio Lucindo only voices Krillin on the weekends and he is not doing much work now. Sérgio in other way is a full time director, that makes him a lot more busy, even if Rio de Janeiro is a much closer place to São Paulo then Coimbra in Portugal.

And hiring Sérgio to do Ginyu's voice directly from Rio would be more expensive. They are already using 112 Studios in Portugal to make additional recording for Fábio Lucindo's lines; use ANOTHER additional studio, and for doing only two or three episodes to record lines of a minor character... well, I can understand their reasons.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:26 pm

And so, episode 36 aired, and we now have "Final Flash" instead of "Resplendor Final". For the lip flaps, this is good I think.

It bothered me a bit hearing Naoki Tatsuta's "Chop-poo" grunts as Magetta instead of having them dubbed. I think the brazilian dub it's the only international dub that didn't voiced-over the character. But since is a really minor character and the grunts aren't a big deal, and with the rest of the cast doing a great work, I'm fine with it.

Now I'm pretty excited to hear more of Kyabe and Hit's voices in the next episodes too. I loved Francisco Júnior's few lines as Hit until the current episode(36) and I cannot wait to hear more of him.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:50 pm