What's your opinion of the Universe Survival Arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

What's your opinion of the Universe Survival Arc?

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Right now, I would say it's already better than the Future Truunk's Arc. Its got off to a good start, a way better start than any other Arc in Super by far and it hasn't even hit the climax yet. The animation, art, and music ranges from decent to good, the only gripes I have with it are: poor characterization (at times), power level inconsisties, shoddy/incompetent writing relating to power levels, and that's pretty much just it. If they can fix those things, I wouldn't really have any complaints, and a lot of people in general.

The gr
I Live Here

Re: What's your opinion of the Universal Survival Arc

Post by The gr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:22 pm

We already have a thread for that viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38263, and can we please wait to This saga to be over and then make a thread for that
Mostly active on discord.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:35 pm

The gr wrote:We already have a thread for that viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38263, and can we please wait to This saga to be over and then make a thread for that
Yes, but that thread is for what you think about Super in totality. This thread is just for one certain arc.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:44 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
The gr wrote:We already have a thread for that viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38263, and can we please wait to This saga to be over and then make a thread for that
Yes, but that thread is for what you think about Super in totality. This thread is just for one certain arc.
an arc that is unfinished,I'm sure most of the member In that thread already expressed their thoughts on The universe survival arc currently,I don't want to be rude, let's just wait this arc to be finished Because opinion might change once this saga is over

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Thats for super as whole tho currently.

Also I agree with OP completely.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Nothing, the arc has just started and I don't have an opinion yet.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:54 pm

It feels very padded so far, but I'm loving the key plot-points and bits of information. Love the designs of the Kaioshin/Hakaishin/Angels, love the rules for the ToP, love the new opening (and all its variations), love the Universe 7 lineup...can't wait for the tournament!

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:
Thats for super as whole tho currently.

Also I agree with OP completely.
I guess your right, but I'm not gonna repeat myself again, but there's one i would like to add about This Saga, i have a bad feeling for, that goku recruitment is going to get repetitive and padded out​, and ssb usage is getting annoying, other than that,my opinion still remains, this arc is still a 7/10 Because I'm enjoying the world building, the kaioshin and god of destruction,I'm still not seeing a 10/10 episode or a 9/10, but I guess I'm ok with decent,if they can keep This up, but my opinion might change once this is over, and right there I will give an official score

amuroray
Not-So-Newbie

Post by amuroray » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:26 pm

So far its the best thing about super but thats not saying much. Has the potential to be excellent though.

The future trunks arc was a mess. absolute tripe. One of the worst sagas in dragonball. On par with the buu saga

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Right now, I would say it's already better than the Future Truunk's Arc. Its got off to a good start, a way better start than any other Arc in Super by far and it hasn't even hit the climax yet. The animation, art, and music ranges from decent to good, the only gripes I have with it are: poor characterization (at times), power level inconsisties, shoddy/incompetent writing relating to power levels, and that's pretty much just it. If they can fix those things, I wouldn't really have any complaints, and a lot of people in general.
pretty much the only thing I have seen people making a fuss about this arc, besides both the Goku character and the 28 planet thing.

as of now what you give it? Its 8/9 episodes in and it is much better than all previous arcs and that I agree with you 100%.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Imo, it has good pacing, but that's about it. None of the new characters so far interest me. I like the idea of a battle royal, but I've never been big on tournaments; I prefer having a solid antagonist like in Z. I miss Vegeta, but understand why he's probably being benched. I worry about Toei's ability to deliver on the animation required for the tournament. I worry that they haven't published any statement about the arc from Toriyama yet. I'm relieved that the other four writers on the anime are still around. I'm hoping Shida eventually comes back. I'm interested to see how 17 and Gokû interact. I hope the arc's ending doesn't end up as choreographed as I fear it will be (the whole Gokû wins and uses the super db's to wish back the other universes).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:22 pm

I am enjoying it so far. However I am kinda hoping for the tournament to start soon. Some of 85 felt like padding to me, and so does 87 according to the summary.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:28 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Right now, I would say it's already better than the Future Truunk's Arc. Its got off to a good start, a way better start than any other Arc in Super by far and it hasn't even hit the climax yet. The animation, art, and music ranges from decent to good, the only gripes I have with it are: poor characterization (at times), power level inconsisties, shoddy/incompetent writing relating to power levels, and that's pretty much just it. If they can fix those things, I wouldn't really have any complaints, and a lot of people in general.
pretty much the only thing I have seen people making a fuss about this arc, besides both the Goku character and the 28 planet thing.

as of now what you give it? Its 8/9 episodes in and it is much better than all previous arcs and that I agree with you 100%.
I would give it like a 7.5/10, I'm expecting the tournament to bump it up a few points, as long as they hit the right points, at the right times. While also not making the writing too formulaic, I really don't wanna see a predictable story.

P.S.-Some parts of this arc could have definitely been written a lot better, but I still enjoy it.
Last edited by SaiyanGod117 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:42 pm

I like the idea of having multiple universes fight each other but I wish we got another villain arc before cause it feels to close to Champa's torunament.

I also like the idea of a battle royal instead of the usuall 1vs1 but I'm worried about Toei's ability to fully realize its potential and as of now I'm not interested in any of the new characters.

I'm not a fan of how long they're taking to get the actual torunament started cause most of what they've done hasn't been that interesting to me.

No one will be able to fully say until the arc's over but I have a feeling I'll like the manga's version better cause it'll probably be a lot faster and the fights will be just as good if not better than the anime.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:55 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing what Toyotaro does with it when it has greater character consistency and a more fitting pacing for the kind of story it is, omitting the fluff we're currently in.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:09 pm

sintzu wrote:I like the idea of having multiple universes fight each other but I wish we got another villain arc before cause it feels to close to Champa's torunament.

I also like the idea of a battle royal instead of the usuall 1vs1 but I'm worried about Toei's ability to fully realize its potential and as of now I'm not interested in any of the new characters.

I'm not a fan of how long they're taking to get the actual torunament started cause most of what they've done hasn't been that interesting to me.

No one will be able to fully say until the arc's over but I have a feeling I'll like the manga's version better cause it'll probably be a lot faster and the fights will be just as good if not better than the anime.
Cipher wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing what Toyotaro does with it when it has greater character consistency and a more fitting pacing for the kind of story it is, omitting the fluff we're currently in.
Idk guys the anime has been fairly consistent with their character aside from goku, and yes we all know toei have a rough schedule and is easy to convey the battle royale in the manga, but toei animation have been consistent ever since the beginning aside from the derpy Kitano art in episode 82
Chuquita wrote:Imo, it has good pacing, but that's about it. None of the new characters so far interest me. I like the idea of a battle royal, but I've never been big on tournaments; I prefer having a solid antagonist like in Z. I miss Vegeta, but understand why he's probably being benched. I worry about Toei's ability to deliver on the animation required for the tournament. I worry that they haven't published any statement about the arc from Toriyama yet. I'm relieved that the other four writers on the anime are still around. I'm hoping Shida eventually comes back. I'm interested to see how 17 and Gokû interact. I hope the arc's ending doesn't end up as choreographed as I fear it will be (the whole Gokû wins and uses the super db's to wish back the other universes).
DBS is predictable, of course that is going to happen, even if goku losees, jiren Will just use the super DB to restore all the destroyed universe, and you should expect an comment of toriyama of the USA arc in DBS vol 3, they should have another interview with Toyble and toriyama, since every volume got those

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:55 pm

I really think that the Universal Survival Arc has the potential to be the greatest DB arc of all time for me:

1) I like tournament formats. It brings a different sense of competition than fighting a villain
2) All characters are involved from U7. The gang is getting back together to fight as a team instead of our favorite supporting characters standing back and cheerleading from the sidelines while Goku and Vegeta take care of everything
3) Introduction of a lot of new characters. I always love good new characters because we get to learn out their background story and they always bring an unpredictability. Like we have no idea what they're capable of which builds their hype. DBS did a perfect job with Hit in this regard.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 pm

I never fully judge an arc before it completes, but as of right now, it's really boring. As in, "I will swear off Dragon Ball Super indefinitely if it doesn't improve soon" boring.
Retired.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Ask me again when the tournament finishes, or at least starts.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:01 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I never fully judge an arc before it completes, but as of right now, it's really boring. As in, "I will swear off Dragon Ball Super indefinitely if it doesn't improve soon" boring.
What do you value in dragon Ball?
I think I know where this is going.