Favorite new characters so far?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Favorite new characters so far?

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:47 am

Considering Beerus & Whis along with all of the RoF characters are of 'Z' territory,I am only gonna consider characters from the U6 arc onwards.

I consider Present Zamasu & Goku Black as the same character,so I choose him.Pretty good motives combined with plenty of badass moments and we get a villain few will forget.
Also,he is one of few characters I truly enjoy in both the manga & the anime ( albeit for different reasons each ).
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:51 am

Beerus,whis and Jaco aren't new characters,so I'm not including them. here's the new character what i like, Black, zamasu, cabba, zeno and hit
Mostly active on discord.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:19 pm

BURAKKU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also Zamasu, Hit and Zeno.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Literally every new One, except for Jaco, I hate it
Feels like an AD character put in just because reasons

Maybe I'll revaluate it in the future tho

Very very hard to choose only one, but probably Beerus

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:02 pm

MrBlackFox wrote:Literally every new One, except for Jaco, I hate it

I thought I'd hate Jaco, but I actually like him a lot. He's pretty perceptive and I like having a guy around that insults out protagonists in a humourous way. He's not laugh out loud funny or anything, but I do catch myself smiling every now and then.

For new characters I say Hit and Black. I like Zamasu, Champa, pan, Future Mai, Gowasu, Beerus, Vados, and Oracle fish though. I'm neutral on Cabba and Frost but I know they have potential to be great characters if developed properly.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:18 pm

Hit and Zamasu, archetypical as they may be, have both been lots of fun. They'd probably get my vote.

That's discounting Beerus, Whis and Jaco, who all appeared in other material first. If we're putting them all under the Super banner, Jaco would take the cake, though that doesn't seem fair, as that relies on his manga series.

I also really like Zeno, though he isn't the type of character who can carry a scene on his own. I just like that the ultimate god in this mythos is ... that.

Benedetto12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Benedetto12 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:43 pm

Black
Beerus
Hit
Champa
Monaka

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Beerus, Whis, Champa, Vados, Jaco, Hit, Magetta, Zeno, Zamasu, Goku Black and Future Mai. Those guys have been wonderful additions to the Dragon Ball cast.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Jaco and Beerus are wonderful additions but I'm not sure they're classed as 'new characters' since they both technically existed prior to Super's start.

Zamasu is easily my favourite antagonist in the whole damn series run and the only one to date I can say I really call a favourite since everyone else I like has sort of fallen short;

Botamo has a cool power and a neat design(shut up, I like it) but he's horrifically underdeveloped as a character and often the one from U6 people say they're the most disappointed with.
Magetta has a neat personality quirk, cool powers, great design but due to a lack of focus also doesn't feel quite as much of a character as say Cabba or Frost, even though he's considerably more unique than either of them.
Hit is ok, but he's mostly interesting because he's an assassin with timeskipping powers. Personality wise he's nothing particularly unique, just another stoic rival archetype.
The three wolf brothers do a fine job of showing unique powers(as well as callbacks to previous Dragonball films) but with the possible exception of Bergamo at a stretch are rather two dimensional as characters.

Note I actually do like all of the above characters, I'm just left wanting more from each of them outside Zamasu. Unique abilities are so rare in Dragonball that any time anyone fights even remotely differently it's good enough to easily make it into a potential favourite.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

kayojin

Post by kayojin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
kayojin wrote:beerus, whis, jaco, monaka, zuno, zen-oh

basically the ones that look like they were originals designed by toriyama and not like 'toei' composite toriyama-esque designs a la GT
So, characterization, story, utility can go fuck themselves as long as it looks like it's designed by toriyama...
Can't say I am impressed by the reasoning
i didn't say that. it just so happens that, imo, these characters are generally more original, including characterization - we were all intrigued by beerus and whis since BoG, but i've also enjoyed the dynamic/utility of characters like monaka and jaco. they brought the DB feeling super seems to be striving for without regressing main characters, which has been a prominent complaint for many fans

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:28 pm

kinisking wrote:
MrBlackFox wrote:Literally every new One, except for Jaco, I hate it

I thought I'd hate Jaco, but I actually like him a lot. He's pretty perceptive and I like having a guy around that insults out protagonists in a humourous way. He's not laugh out loud funny or anything, but I do catch myself smiling every now and then.

For new characters I say Hit and Black. I like Zamasu, Champa, pan, Future Mai, Gowasu, Beerus, Vados, and Oracle fish though. I'm neutral on Cabba and Frost but I know they have potential to be great characters if developed properly.

I should try to revaluate him, but for now I Feel like is an intruder :(

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:33 pm

I forgot to include ft Mai, Champa, vados and gowasu, there also good characters and maggetta because his design and ability is cool,and for the new character,I like,the trio especially Bergamo,Rou and Sidra,EA and kuru
Last edited by The gr on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:33 pm

(Takes a big red marker pen and draws a big circle around all the characters listed as inhabitants of Universe 11)

That sums me up.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Cabba, Botamo, Vados, Hit, Goku Black, Helles.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Champa - Everything he does is gold. The moment I saw his reaction to Goku countering Hit "Hitto....Hittoaahh!!!" He became one of my favorites. Then the baseball game. Then booing at the practice tournament. His voice is great as well. If his english voice actor is the same as the one for Xenoverse 2, I will be very very disappointed.

Helles - As far as designs go, she's the best.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 pm

1. Beerus
2. Black
3. Whis
4. Zamasu
5. Champa
6. Hit
7. Future Mai

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Beerus
Whis
Black
Zamasu
Zeno
Cabba
Mageta
Hit
Future Mai
Vados
Champa

I also like a few characters in the Universal Survival arc, but I don't think I like them enough to call them "Favorites" yet.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:13 am

Surprised to see how many people put Zeno as their favorite, I remember a lot of hate for him when he was first shown.

8) Must be the Beerus effect.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:20 am

Zen'ou represents everything I like about Toriyama. Not to mention, that Koorogi Satomi voice is just perfect for him. I wonder if Toriyama selected her, but that's just a guess. It was probably someone from the Toei staff most likely.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Not counting Beerus or Whis since they were introduced in movies before Super, my favorite would have to be Zamasu/Black. I think Zamasu was a fantastic villain and one of the best the franchise has ever had. The "Black" version of him is even more interesting, mostly because of Nozawa's performance and delivery. Other than Zamasu, I would have to say Champa, Vados, and Zenoh are standout characters.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.