Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 am

Robo4900 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Well if that's the case then you'd think a long running series like DBS would be a logical choice for them. Still it's good that anime is doing well for them.
I think Kai would be a better choice than Super, TBH...
It's been a long time since any Dragon Ball was airing here(Kai was about 7 or 8 years ago, and didn't cover the Boo arc at that time. Before that was the original airings on Toonami that ended when the channel died in 2006, 12 years ago), so I think Kai would be the best way to reintroduce fans, and introduce newcomers. This isn't about my personal distaste for Super; I know a lot of people like it, and I know I'm in the minority on that, but Super really isn't newcomer-friendly. Starting with Kai would just be so much better. Once that's done, then they can move onto Super.

Plus, it would mean there'd be a chance we could push for Ocean Kai. :D
Actually Kai was rerun on Kix until November 2015 so it's really only 2 and a half years since it was on the air here. Yes it's a shame they never aired TFC, but at this point the interest in Super is much higher despite not being as newcomer friendly. And while I'm all for those who are still interested being able to see Ocean Kai some day, I'm more than happy with Funimation's dub so don't feel any great need to see Ocean's.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 am

90sDBZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Well if that's the case then you'd think a long running series like DBS would be a logical choice for them. Still it's good that anime is doing well for them.
I think Kai would be a better choice than Super, TBH...
It's been a long time since any Dragon Ball was airing here(Kai was about 7 or 8 years ago, and didn't cover the Boo arc at that time. Before that was the original airings on Toonami that ended when the channel died in 2006, 12 years ago), so I think Kai would be the best way to reintroduce fans, and introduce newcomers. This isn't about my personal distaste for Super; I know a lot of people like it, and I know I'm in the minority on that, but Super really isn't newcomer-friendly. Starting with Kai would just be so much better. Once that's done, then they can move onto Super.

Actually Kai was rerun on Kix until November 2015 so it's really only 2 and a half years since it was on the air here. Yes it's a shame they never aired TFC, but at this point the interest in Super is much higher despite not being as newcomer friendly. And while I'm all for those who are still interested being able to see Ocean Kai some day, I'm more than happy with Funimation's dub so don't feel any great need to see Ocean's.
I dunno it seems newcomer friendly to me, it's airing on most kids stations around the world no problem and someone I know started got into DB via DBS has only now started going back to watch DB/Z, I asked them if they were lost on some subplots they said they were but ultimately for the most part didn't hinder their experience. Most things to get shown through flashbacks anyway.

I've also been watching DBS with family whenever I can and they enjoy it enough without prior knowledge of the series.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed May 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: I think Kai would be a better choice than Super, TBH...

I dunno it seems newcomer friendly to me, it's airing on most kids stations around the world no problem and someone I know started got into DB via DBS has only now started going back to watch DB/Z, I asked them if they were lost on some subplots they said they were but ultimately for the most part didn't hinder their experience. Most things to get shown through flashbacks anyway.

I've also been watching DBS with family whenever I can and they enjoy it enough without prior knowledge of the series.
Yeah you make a good point about it doing well around the world. And I'm sure a lot of fans started watching Z/Kai at some random point instead of from episode 1 and were fine with it. DB has always been a series that's easy enough to get into at any given point.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:04 am

Well it seems Super Part 3 is also a bestseller on Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Super-E ... ms?ie=UTF8

If it's already doing this consistently well then I can't wait to see how well it does once the series really hits its stride.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:53 am

90sDBZ wrote:Well it seems Super Part 3 is also a bestseller on Amazon UK:

If it's already doing this consistently well then I can't wait to see how well it does once the series really hits its stride.
I expect the Trunks arc to make a killing.

What did you think of the U6 arc? I wasn't a huge fan when it aired, it sat better watching it dubbed but I found the Jaco/Bulma space episode the best episode of the arc! The recap episode with the narrator was also a highlight!

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:54 pm

I honestly don't think it's the channels passed. I think it has something to do with rights. As there is 0 reason it wouldn't be on funimation now in UK. (Yes I bought a year ready to watch Dragonball, then got email super is coming , then .... That's USA only lol and my subscription is now used for monster hunter and death parade. ) So I think it might be the rights. But luckily I've been buying the bluras ,, unrelated but what mi d of sick person made these Blu-ray sets? Every one is a saga long but misses the last episode of the saga :lol: Why?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:29 pm

SSJmole wrote:I honestly don't think it's the channels passed. I think it has something to do with rights. As there is 0 reason it wouldn't be on funimation now in UK. (Yes I bought a year ready to watch Dragonball, then got email super is coming , then .... That's USA only lol and my subscription is now used for monster hunter and death parade. ) So I think it might be the rights. But luckily I've been buying the bluras ,, unrelated but what mi d of sick person made these Blu-ray sets? Every one is a saga long but misses the last episode of the saga :lol: Why?
Toei Europe don't believe in streaming for Dragon Ball, that's why. And MangaUK's Jerome confirmed UK channels did pass up on DBS as they didn't think the show was for them.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:31 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Well it seems Super Part 3 is also a bestseller on Amazon UK:

I expect the Trunks arc to make a killing.

What did you think of the U6 arc? I wasn't a huge fan when it aired, it sat better watching it dubbed but I found the Jaco/Bulma space episode the best episode of the arc! The recap episode with the narrator was also a highlight!
I mostly enjoyed it. I liked the dynamic between Beerus and Champa, and the Tournament setting felt like a nice throwback. The fights were good and it was also fun seeing Piccolo get a good moment even if it was unfairly cut short. I really liked the Kaioken x10 SSB reveal on the last episode too, and the use of the opening theme worked really well there.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SSJmole wrote:I honestly don't think it's the channels passed. I think it has something to do with rights. As there is 0 reason it wouldn't be on funimation now in UK. (Yes I bought a year ready to watch Dragonball, then got email super is coming , then .... That's USA only lol and my subscription is now used for monster hunter and death parade. ) So I think it might be the rights. But luckily I've been buying the bluras ,, unrelated but what mi d of sick person made these Blu-ray sets? Every one is a saga long but misses the last episode of the saga :lol: Why?
Toei Europe don't believe in streaming for Dragon Ball, that's why. And MangaUK's Jerome confirmed UK channels did pass up on DBS as they didn't think the show was for them.
The steaming situation seems pretty strange to me. Wasn't One Piece being streamed by Funimation in the UK at a certain point before being taken off? I remember someone on Twitter asking Jerome about both One Piece and Dragonball streaming to which he replied that he's glad they're not on there due to it improving their sales.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:04 am

Might be wrong, but..isn't Brexit also an issue? British p[arilament only recently announced date of leaving EU, there was possibility Brexit might be cancelled, and now some contracts with international companies might need to change.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Manga UK are releasing Final Chapters in the UK.

https://www.animationforadults.com/2018 ... s-and.html

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:01 pm

DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:Manga UK are releasing Final Chapters in the UK.

That is fantastic news! :clap:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:Manga UK are releasing Final Chapters in the UK.

That is fantastic news! :clap:
It would have been fantastic if I hadn't given up and imported it a few months back. :(

I seriously don't get why they waited until now when they could have just licensed it along with Super. For months on end loads of people badgered them on Twitter and Facebook and they wouldn't budge and made it sound like it would never happen. They said it wasn't economically viable and pointed out that Kai 1.0 under performed, and now all of a sudden they're releasing it. :?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:31 pm

And now Manga UK have announced a complete DBZ movie/special collection. Add that to Super part 5, Kai TFC parts 1-3, and the GT complete series boxset and you'll get some UK Dragonball fans with empty wallets this Autumn/Winter. The movie set is currently up for pre-order at £97. Makes me wish I'd held off on getting them individually as I could have saved £40.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:57 am

Licensing Super may have been the best thing Manga UK has ever done with this franchise.

Having so many other releases within the same time frame can be a double edged sword. On one hand some of their sales could be hurt by people not having the money for all the releases they want. Conversely, its good they are getting caught up on Funimation's backlog and it will be great to have everything available here. That said since they keep announcing them (as is the case with the movie collection) they must be confident.

I just hope they've been informed about TOEI's new remasters and won't rush to keep the money train going by releasing the DBZ Season Blu-Rays in the new year, as I'm fully expecting the series to be remastered and for Funi and possibly Madman to acquire it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:10 pm

MCM London is next month (26-28 October) feel like that would be the perfect time to announce DBS: Broly licensed and ready for a theatrical run. I'm pretty sure ResF was announced at an MCM right?

In July they messaged me this:

"We are currently under negotiation with distributors to distribute the movie across Europe. You just need to be patient, you will be informed once it’s time to inform the public."

Hopefully it's at the final stage now. Fingers crossed.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 pm

While I feel like I'm going to fucking DESPISE This new movie... it airing on the UK would mean that Dragon Ball Super WILL FINALLY air in the UK.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:53 am

I'd be VERY surprised if Manga UK don't release Broly in theatres. With how well Resurrection F did for them TOEI would be crazy not to license it out to them.

Also think its highly likely once it gets a home release it will be on Sky Cinema and Netflix like the last 2 movies.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Base shipped DBS Part 5! :)
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I'd be VERY surprised if Manga UK don't release Broly in theatres. With how well Resurrection F did for them TOEI would be crazy not to license it out to them.

Also think its highly likely once it gets a home release it will be on Sky Cinema and Netflix like the last 2 movies.
Absolutely praying that they're saving an announcement for MCM. Imdb reporting Ukraine getting the film in Jan is promising for Europe if true.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:25 am

Already finished my part 5 today. :)

Overall I'm liking the Goku Black arc, although I'll admit some of the timeline stuff has me scratching my head. So if Black in the future exists because of Goku fighting Zamasu in the present, then how could Black exist in the future before Goku challenged Zamasu in the present as a result of fighting Black first? :crazy: For some reason I had assumed Zamasu would possess the corpse of dead future Goku who died from the heart virus. Turns out the real explanation is much more confusing. :lol:

That aside I enjoyed the team based fights, the interactions between Future Trunks and present day characters, the return of the evil containment wave, the buildup Zamasu is given, and the overall tone. It did get a bit repetitive at times though with Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks getting beat, retreating, fighting again, Trunks getting a rage boost, rinse repeat.

Overall I've enjoyed it so far and am looking forward to seeing Vegito back in action.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:26 pm

We're getting the film in Jan!
Brolysback.co.uk

Missed out on several months of marketing but hey we're here at last!

90sDBZ not sure where this leaves you though, but I suspect you know what happened at the end of DBS? I think that should be okay.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.