Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Dragon Ball Super Part 3 Blu-ray £18.99:
https://www.base.com/buy/product/dragon ... nb8840.htm

TV Specials Blu-ray £15.99:
https://www.base.com/buy/product/dragon ... nb8829.htm

Cheapest so far for both. Already own FUNi Part 3 and no rush for TV Specials so just pre ordered Digimon Tri 4.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Dragon Ball Super Part 3 Blu-ray £18.99:

Cheapest so far for both. Already own FUNi Part 3 and no rush for TV Specials so just pre ordered Digimon Tri 4.
Good to see they're not too overpriced. By the way does Digimon Tri happen to get any better? I thought part 1 was decent but found part 2 to be so bad that I haven't bothered with part 3 yet. I was getting Manga UK's Blu-rays but can't justify continuing at that price if it doesn't improve.

FFJamie94

Post by FFJamie94 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:42 pm

The UK has always been weird on Anime and I can kinda see why.
For the most part, it's still a niche market, the People who watch Anime aren't the type of People to watch it on TV.
Broadcasters won't see how they can attract an adult fanbase with a Show like Dragon Ball, it's old news now, they'd rather jump to the next thing.
And Kids channels won't touch it, especially given how our press would jump on it quicker than you can say Super.
I can imagine a paper like the Mail saying how it'll ruin our children etc. etc.
So yeah, it's not worth it for broadcasters, it's not for lack of trying as I've seen Anime come and go in the UK.
Streaming and Home Releases seem to be the way forward for Anime here, and I'm glad Manga UK has started bringing them out here as it means I can get round to watching it.

I doubt we'll see anything Dragon Ball related broadcasted on UK TV again which is kinda sad, but hey, that's life.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:43 am

90sDBZ wrote:

Good to see they're not too overpriced. By the way does Digimon Tri happen to get any better? I thought part 1 was decent but found part 2 to be so bad that I haven't bothered with part 3 yet. I was getting Manga UK's Blu-rays but can't justify continuing at that price if it doesn't improve.
I haven't had a chance to watch part 3 yet but I did enjoy Part 1 & 2 but if you haven't then probably wise you not continuing to buy. Though I do wish like their Digimon Tri release is how they did the Z movies too, would have made the price of them a lot bearable (I still haven't bought any yet), bog standard release of old movies and specials for £16? No thanks.
FFJamie94 wrote:The UK has always been weird on Anime and I can kinda see why.
For the most part, it's still a niche market, the People who watch Anime aren't the type of People to watch it on TV.
Broadcasters won't see how they can attract an adult fanbase with a Show like Dragon Ball, it's old news now, they'd rather jump to the next thing.
And Kids channels won't touch it, especially given how our press would jump on it quicker than you can say Super.
I can imagine a paper like the Mail saying how it'll ruin our children etc. etc.
So yeah, it's not worth it for broadcasters, it's not for lack of trying as I've seen Anime come and go in the UK.
Streaming and Home Releases seem to be the way forward for Anime here, and I'm glad Manga UK has started bringing them out here as it means I can get round to watching it.

I doubt we'll see anything Dragon Ball related broadcasted on UK TV again which is kinda sad, but hey, that's life.
I remember back in '08 a paper was discouraging readers to watch The Dark Knight because Joker was using knives instead of stuff like a flower that released acid (like that is any better) and they got a piece from a "hardcore" Batman fan and how they refused to watch it etc. Was such an eye-roll.

But yeah some of the shite that is on children's tv I am not surprised DBS hasn't been picked up. I mean if CN were treating the new Justice League cartoon like crap then DB stands no chance. Pokemon still manages to air and Pop even airing older series but that isn't too surprising I guess since TPCi basically made it look like Pokemon originated not from Japan (I am surprised TPCi translate credits of the Japanese staff with their actual names and not replacing them with "Mike" and "John" etc!)

Also unrelated but the "94" from your username, that the year you were born?

FFJamie94

Post by FFJamie94 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:

I haven't had a chance to watch part 3 yet but I did enjoy Part 1 & 2 but if you haven't then probably wise you not continuing to buy. Though I do wish like their Digimon Tri release is how they did the Z movies too, would have made the price of them a lot bearable (I still haven't bought any yet), bog standard release of old movies and specials for £16? No thanks.
FFJamie94 wrote:The UK has always been weird on Anime and I can kinda see why.

I remember back in '08 a paper was discouraging readers to watch The Dark Knight because Joker was using knives instead of stuff like a flower that released acid (like that is any better) and they got a piece from a "hardcore" Batman fan and how they refused to watch it etc. Was such an eye-roll.

But yeah some of the shite that is on children's tv I am not surprised DBS hasn't been picked up. I mean if CN were treating the new Justice League cartoon like crap then DB stands no chance. Pokemon still manages to air and Pop even airing older series but that isn't too surprising I guess since TPCi basically made it look like Pokemon originated not from Japan (I am surprised TPCi translate credits of the Japanese staff with their actual names and not replacing them with "Mike" and "John" etc!)

Also unrelated but the "94" from your username, that the year you were born?
Yeah, I pretty much got the end of the DBZ hype as a kid. I used to watch it with my brother a lot (although I got into the manga pretty early on. Have a few of the original 1st print volumes around somewhere... In extremely poor condition however).

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Factor #1 They are wankers. Too soft for pg13 dbs. Imagine early dbz? That would be against the law.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:27 pm

julianix wrote:Factor #1 They are wankers. Too soft for pg13 dbs. Imagine early dbz? That would be against the law.
Times have changed. UK TV broadcast laws have not only changed in the years since DBZ aired (and Blue Water GT aired with the blood intact), but, in some areas, are also rather vague. UK TV lacks an objective rating system that the US has. Therefore, broadcasters have to err on the side of caution, and they're honestly right to do so.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Nicktoons Kai aired just fine. Pretty Cure aired just fine. I think its because excutives just dont want to give anime a chance.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Nicktoons Kai aired just fine. Pretty Cure aired just fine. I think its because excutives just dont want to give anime a chance.
For the sake of clarity, I politely ask that you don't look at this as some assault on anime by the powers that be within the relevant British broadcasters. Such a mindset is quite clearly reductive on the grounds that there are likely an untold number of properties they decline to purchase episodes of for broadcast, regardless of their country of origin, style, or subject matter. I also ask you to remember that both Nicktoons Kai and the Pretty Cure dub aired on non-subscription channels owned by the same company (whom, judging by their past content output, happen to have a decent relationship with whomever handles Toei's IPs for broadcast licensing). From a business perspective, within the realm of children's television, no one wants to take chances, and why should they? There are plenty of series that have no 'questionable' (by Ofcom standards) content, and are guaranteed to get the audiences they want watching their shows and watching the ads. Why would a British broadcaster want to deal with the headache of licensing a violent Japanese series (that may well have already been edited to meet TV standards) that has a limited speculative appeal amongst British youths (and therefore may turn certain advertisers away), as well as the extra overhead involved depending on what dub audio track they acquire (the Westwood/2nd Ocean dub exists in part because doing so was cheaper than licensing the FUNimation Z dub for the UK)?

To me, it's understandable that Dragon Ball Super is a hard sell to those in charge.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:57 pm

You are right. Sorry about the reductive comment everyone!

You really are right, because my argument shot itself in the foot. If Dragon Ball Kai and Precure aired on UK TV then there's no bias or backlash against anime.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 pm

I know that times have changed and it's harder for networks to take a gamble these days. If it weren't for Toonami the US would likely be in the same boat as us, with no Super on TV at all. It really makes me wish we could get Toonami back too, or even good old CNX. But saying that I'll likely stick with the Blu-rays now anyway.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Part 4 early August (6th)! Month after FUNi. Cool. No point importing these now.

-------------------------
90sDBZ wrote:I know that times have changed and it's harder for networks to take a gamble these days. If it weren't for Toonami the US would likely be in the same boat as us, with no Super on TV at all. It really makes me wish we could get Toonami back too, or even good old CNX. But saying that I'll likely stick with the Blu-rays now anyway.
CNX man I remember being bummed my folks got rid of CN around the start of the Buu arc, then one day me magically coming across CNX and it airing Z was one of the best moments of my life haha :lol: Was the episode Vegetto got turned into candy!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri May 18, 2018 5:40 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Part 4 early August (6th)! Month after FUNi. Cool. No point importing these now.

-------------------------
90sDBZ wrote:I know that times have changed and it's harder for networks to take a gamble these days. If it weren't for Toonami the US would likely be in the same boat as us, with no Super on TV at all. It really makes me wish we could get Toonami back too, or even good old CNX. But saying that I'll likely stick with the Blu-rays now anyway.
CNX man I remember being bummed my folks got rid of CN around the start of the Buu arc, then one day me magically coming across CNX and it airing Z was one of the best moments of my life haha :lol: Was the episode Vegetto got turned into candy!
It's great to see Manga UK are finally catching up :). And they've finally, finally confirmed they're continuing One Piece after over a year of waiting :D.

And yeah CNX was an awesome channel. It's just a shame it only lasted about 9 months but it was a fun ride while it lasted.

2quid

Post by 2quid » Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 am

I've been a longtime lurker on these boards, and I just thought I'd let you guys know that Viceland are thinking about airing an anime similar in tone to Eureka Seven in the Autumn. I've asked if it was Dragonball but haven't been given a reply yet. I DM'ed them on twitter if anyone else wants to ask.
VICE on TV

Hi! We are currently looking into this, maybe for the Autumn, but will keep you updated.

Thanks
> Spends 10 years lurking on Ocean Kai threads

"You're basically a TV Exec"

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Tue May 22, 2018 12:03 pm

2quid wrote:I've been a longtime lurker on these boards, and I just thought I'd let you guys know that Viceland are thinking about airing an anime similar in tone to Eureka Seven in the Autumn. I've asked if it was Dragonball but haven't been given a reply yet. I DM'ed them on twitter if anyone else wants to ask.
VICE on TV

Hi! We are currently looking into this, maybe for the Autumn, but will keep you updated.

Thanks
Do we know if Viceland's brief anime phase (Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop etc.) was popular?

2quid

Post by 2quid » Tue May 22, 2018 12:53 pm

Weejus wrote: Do we know if Viceland's brief anime phase (Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop etc.) was popular?
Viceland's anime block is still going strong, they've just stopped airing Eureka Seven at traditional before and after school times (7:00 am, 4:00pm)

And it's been insanely popular. When Tokyo Ghoul was airing for the first time it dominated the ratings, as have Cowboy Bebop. Even Durarara managed to break into the top 10 while it was airing through December. If anyone is gonna air anime it's them. Pop Max has even stopped airing Beyblade and is doing its best to kill off Pokemon as well. Dinosaur King still airs through the night but who is gonna watch that? Anyway, I got a reply from Viceland, and it doesn't seem they're interested now. But with enough fan interest who knows?
VICE on TV

No worries! We currently don't have any plans for Dragon Ball, but watch this space for more anime announcements coming soon.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Tue May 22, 2018 12:54 pm

2quid wrote:
Weejus wrote: Do we know if Viceland's brief anime phase (Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop etc.) was popular?
Viceland's anime block is still going strong, they've just stopped airing Eureka Seven at traditional before and after school times (7:00 am, 4:00pm)

And it's been insanely popular. When Tokyo Ghoul was airing for the first time it dominated the ratings, as have Cowboy Bebop. Even Durarara managed to break into the top 10 while it was airing through December. If anyone is gonna air anime it's them. Pop Max has even stopped airing Beyblade and is doing its best to kill off Pokemon as well. Dinosaur King still airs through the night but who is gonna watch that? Anyway, I got a reply from Viceland, and it doesn't seem they're interested now. But with enough fan interest who knows?
VICE on TV

No worries! We currently don't have any plans for Dragon Ball, but watch this space for more anime announcements coming soon.
Fair enough. At least they were kind enough to respond to your suggestion, and I'm glad their venture into anime is seemingly paying off for them.

2quid

Post by 2quid » Tue May 22, 2018 1:03 pm

Weejus wrote: Fair enough. At least they were kind enough to respond to your suggestion, and I'm glad their venture into anime is seemingly paying off for them.
Yeah I wasn't expecting a response myself. It seems everytime they debut a new anime it dominates the ratings, but then as soon as the series is over it drops off. The latest series has been Seraph of the End, which aired partway through February and pretty much completely took over the top 10. It's on its second run now.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue May 22, 2018 3:39 pm

2quid wrote:
Weejus wrote: Fair enough. At least they were kind enough to respond to your suggestion, and I'm glad their venture into anime is seemingly paying off for them.
Yeah I wasn't expecting a response myself. It seems everytime they debut a new anime it dominates the ratings, but then as soon as the series is over it drops off. The latest series has been Seraph of the End, which aired partway through February and pretty much completely took over the top 10. It's on its second run now.
Well if that's the case then you'd think a long running series like DBS would be a logical choice for them. Still it's good that anime is doing well for them.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:46 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Well if that's the case then you'd think a long running series like DBS would be a logical choice for them. Still it's good that anime is doing well for them.
I think Kai would be a better choice than Super, TBH...
It's been a long time since any Dragon Ball was airing here(Kai was about 7 or 8 years ago, and didn't cover the Boo arc at that time. Before that was the original airings on Toonami that ended when the channel died in 2006, 12 years ago), so I think Kai would be the best way to reintroduce fans, and introduce newcomers. This isn't about my personal distaste for Super; I know a lot of people like it, and I know I'm in the minority on that, but Super really isn't newcomer-friendly. Starting with Kai would just be so much better. Once that's done, then they can move onto Super.

Plus, it would mean there'd be a chance we could push for Ocean Kai. :D
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.