Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Post by Weejus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:15 pm

I mean, we did get all of DB, Z, GT, and Kai on home media years after their UK broadcast, though I do realise that might have been an exception to Toei's hypothetical rule.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Weejus wrote:Forgive me if what I'm about to say might be crass, but let's say that if a DVD/BD release were to definitely hit the UK: why do you want Super to be televised here so badly? I'll admit, when Kai aired on Kix, it was pretty cool seeing Dragon Ball on broadcast television after so many years away, but it just felt like a cool novelty. What benefit is there of having a (almost certainly censored) broadcast of Super that only airs at certain times/days, will likely recycle the first couple of arcs over and over (just like 1996 US DBZ and 2013 UK Kai before it), and may not even last? I know I'm being quite the pessimist here, but unless you're a child whom A: somehow has no access to streaming sites, and/or B: wants to watch the dub, you don't really need Super on TV. I just don't see it as being something worth thinking about or holding your breath over, considering how stiff the parties involved are. That being said, if Super does make it to UK TV, of course, I'll watch it. I'm just glad we have ANY legal means of watching the show in the UK (unlike quite a few other anime).

Yes, I do find it slightly frustrating that we're seemingly the only country in Europe that isn't getting it at this point in time.
Yeah with what Cure Dragon 255 is saying, a TV deal means faster uncut home release for us, Toei specifically stated that back in 2015 after DBS was announced but a TV deal in general is good because it will bring some new people to the show, children obv can't buy stuff so if they come across DBS on TV and become fans it is cool. You never know in like 5 or 10 years time we could be conserving with them on this very forum!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Weejus wrote:Forgive me if what I'm about to say might be crass, but let's say that if a DVD/BD release were to definitely hit the UK: why do you want Super to be televised here so badly? I'll admit, when Kai aired on Kix, it was pretty cool seeing Dragon Ball on broadcast television after so many years away, but it just felt like a cool novelty. What benefit is there of having a (almost certainly censored) broadcast of Super that only airs at certain times/days, will likely recycle the first couple of arcs over and over (just like 1996 US DBZ and 2013 UK Kai before it), and may not even last? I know I'm being quite the pessimist here, but unless you're a child whom A: somehow has no access to streaming sites, and/or B: wants to watch the dub, you don't really need Super on TV. I just don't see it as being something worth thinking about or holding your breath over, considering how stiff the parties involved are. That being said, if Super does make it to UK TV, of course, I'll watch it. I'm just glad we have ANY legal means of watching the show in the UK (unlike quite a few other anime).

Yes, I do find it slightly frustrating that we're seemingly the only country in Europe that isn't getting it at this point in time.
For me personally wanting Super or anything Dragonball to air on TV is partially nostalgia, but also that good feeling you get from tuning into something and knowing many others are watching and enjoying it at the same time. I'm the same way with movies for some reason, often opting to watch them on TV even if I own them. I'm also a big fan of TV promos that really go a long way in building excitement, especially in the case of the Dragonball franchise which had some really great ones back in the CN/CNX/Toonami UK days and even on Kix.

While I'm 100% all for having Super on UK TV I don't like the fact that its holding us up from getting a home release. If the Toonami US Broadcast of Kai 1.0 proved anything it's that a show can still bring in really good ratings long after its home release, and Kai: TFC seems to be proving this too.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:11 pm

90sDBZ wrote:While I'm 100% all for having Super on UK TV I don't like the fact that its holding us up from getting a home release. If the Toonami US Broadcast of Kai 1.0 proved anything it's that a show can still bring in really good ratings long after its home release, and Kai: TFC seems to be proving this too.
I don't really think this last sentiment's worth much. DB has a much larger audience in the US than the UK, and aired on a mainstream channel that has a long running history with the Dragon Ball IP, as well as benefiting from strong word of mouth. If Super ever comes to the UK, it'll likely be on some obscure, non-subscription channel (a la Kix) with very little marketing.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:03 am

With Funimation now being owned by Sony Pictures, maybe we could see a heavily edited version air on Pop! or Kix! (who are both owned by Sony Pictures Television) as technically, it wouldn't cost them a penny to air it, though they would have to pay Toei Europe for the rights to broadcast.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:32 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:With Funimation now being owned by Sony Pictures, maybe we could see a heavily edited version air on Pop! or Kix! (who are both owned by Sony Pictures Television) as technically, it wouldn't cost them a penny to air it, though they would have to pay Toei Europe for the rights to broadcast.
If not one of those channels, perhaps they could air it on the actual Sony UK channel.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:52 am

90sDBZ wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:With Funimation now being owned by Sony Pictures, maybe we could see a heavily edited version air on Pop! or Kix! (who are both owned by Sony Pictures Television) as technically, it wouldn't cost them a penny to air it, though they would have to pay Toei Europe for the rights to broadcast.
If not one of those channels, perhaps they could air it on the actual Sony UK channel.
To be fair, the Sony Channel would be the best option. It could air uncut.
Toei Europe would want it on a kids channel though.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:57 am

Wasn't it Sony Television Networks not Sony Pictures? Sony Television Networks are way more competent thankfully.

Edit- I am confused seems different people are saying different things but either way it doesn't look like things will change much.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Wasn't it Sony Television Networks not Sony Pictures? Sony Television Networks are way more competent thankfully.

Edit- I am confused seems different people are saying different things but either way it doesn't look like things will change much.
I do believe it is Sony Pictures Television, but I don't expect a lot to really change.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:55 pm

SPTN is rebranding Kix to a comedy-focused channel called Pop Max:
Sony Pictures Television Networks (SPTN) is rebranding Kix to Pop Max, with the kids’ channel set to launch across Freeview, Sky and Freesat on August 30.

Pop Max comes from SPTN UK and joins Pop and Tiny Pop in SPTN’s kids’ channel portfolio. Pop Max will be a comedy network for boys aged 6 to 10. It will launch with a lineup of exclusive titles, including the U.K. premiere of Beyblade Burst, Winston Steinburger & Sir Dudley Ding Dong, Freaktown, Pirate Express and Clay Kids.

Kate Marsh, the executive VP of Western Europe, International Networks at Sony Pictures Television, said: “The rebranding of Kix to Pop Max will allow us to strengthen the relationship in viewers’ minds between our portfolio of kids’ channels and our first-class children’s programming. Having a consistent identity across Pop, Tiny Pop and Pop Max cements our positioning as a broadcaster that is at the heart of kids’ entertainment.”
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:01 pm

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

We are boned then...lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

We are boned then...lol.
Not necessarily. Beyblade isn't classed as just Comedy is it?. Am pleased to see Beyblade finally air here, so now Super is the only toyline to be available with no show to support it.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:34 pm

I was going to mention Beyblade but I didnt want to have people say that didnt count. I'm glad you think it does. It gives me hope.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 am

So Toei USA are responsible for Aus/NZ "Based in Los Angeles, Toei Animation Inc. is responsible for the program licensing of Toei-produced series to North America, Latin America, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand" that explains why they release things fairly competently, Buu Kai, Super and now old Z movies on BD for them. Too bad we're forever stuck with Toei Europe.... :(

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 am

Hey! Toei Europe managed a TV Deal for Pretty Cure before that Glitter Force abomination! They arent THAT bad!

I bet we will indeed see Dragon Ball Super on the UK. Its a major sucess wherever it goes!

Also I hope for Canada too. And Australia while we are at it. Sure they have the Funimation DVD's but it would be nice.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 am

It is now less about TV and more why the hell we don't have it on home video! Amazon listed MangaUK's December solicits and no DBS so when January arrives it will 2.5years since it aired in Japan and we have had diddly squat well except for some over-priced toys... and like Kai when we eventually get it (probably 2020) it will sell poor because everyone has probably imported it and they are sat their scratching their heads wondering why! I don't get it we got Battle of Gods and Resurrection "F" competently in a good release window and they did well the latter even had a theatrical screening!, so why is it so hard for Super? TV deal is not working fine you can make the money elsewhere they are potentially jeopardising the success of Super here over it. I haven't imported FUNi's BDs yet I want to support the UK release but not sure how long I can last, FUNi's Part 2 comes out in October and at this stage I am gonna import both then unless something happens.

Just so frustrating.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Because Toei is REALLY STUBBORN about the TV Deal thing. REALLY fucking stubborn.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:56 pm

"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:31 pm

Jerome teased that MangaUK have some announcements on Wednesday "for fans of epic anime". If this is not DBS then it officially means Toei Europe have f**cked any success of DBS over here, already seen people starting to import and this is gonna be like Kai. With Resurrection "F" it looked like Toei collectively were with the game theatrical and home video in the same year as Japan and now we are going 2.5 years and counting without Super... just why, Toei? Your stupid TV deal crap may potentially jeopardise any success of the show over here, well done.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Jerome teased that MangaUK have some announcements on Wednesday "for fans of epic anime". If this is not DBS then it officially means Toei Europe have f**cked any success of DBS over here, already seen people starting to import and this is gonna be like Kai. With Resurrection "F" it looked like Toei collectively were with the game theatrical and home video in the same year as Japan and now we are going 2.5 years and counting without Super... just why, Toei? Your stupid TV deal crap may potentially jeopardise any success of the show over here, well done.
I really hope they announce Super, but it seems like every time they get asked about it they either don't know if/when it will get released or say they're "looking into it but can't make any promises". One thing that might discourage imports is the fact that the US release is region locked, and also seems to be very overpriced on lots of sites at the moment, but then there's still the possibility of people giving in and just streaming the show instead.