Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 pm

So Pop MAX are airing anime....!!!

Pokémon Black and White.... We're now 2 whole generations ahead in Sun and Moon but that's not the point they must obviously be desperate for programing.... The times are perfect weekdays 8am and 4pm this would have been perfect for DBS. I just don't see how Pokémon is any less violent than DB But. What. Can. You do. Sigh.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 am

I love you Baggie Saiyan and I love that you still post here. Most just gave up after the DVD's came.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I love you Baggie Saiyan and I love that you still post here. Most just gave up after the DVD's came.
Can you blame most people for giving up? Every time we find out that TV channel is suddenly airing anime, nothing ever comes from it with regards to Super.

I'm just tired of getting my hopes up.

The DVD/Blu-Ray home release is the best the UK will get.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 am

Yeah. I really DONT blame anyone for giving up hope. Its been too long. But hey! If the folks at the Ocean thread still have hope so can I!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:45 pm

It's been roughly six months since I last checked up on here and...damn, guess I was unfortunately right on this one. While I'm not too fussed about the situation, I feel bad for you lot that actually wanted Super on British television.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Dont feel bad for me! I'm happy! I dont mind the wait!

Also Beyblade Burst survived its assasination attempts and was the highest rated for the dec 24 week!

POP Max
w/e 24 Dec 2017
7 day data (000s) 28 day data (000s)
1 BEYBLADE BURST (SAT 1130) 52 n/a
2 WINSTON STEINBURGER AND SIR DUDLEY DING (TUE 1100) 46 n/a
3 OH NO! IT'S AN ALIEN INVASION (MON 1845) 46 n/a
4 NUMB CHUCKS (WED 2015) 41 n/a
5 NUMB CHUCKS (WED 2000) 41 n/a
6 WINSTON STEINBURGER AND SIR DUDLEY DING (TUE 1115) 40 n/a
7 BEYBLADE BURST (THU 1730) 39 n/a
8 OH NO! IT'S AN ALIEN INVASION (MON 1829) 39 n/a
9 NUMB CHUCKS (WED 2045) 38 n/a
10 NUMB CHUCKS (WED 1945) 38 n/a
10 NUMB CHUCKS (WED 2030) 38 n/a
POP Max +1
w/e 24 Dec 2017
1 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 0931) 42 n/a
2 THE 3 AMIGONAUTS (THU 0845) 42 n/a
3 BEYBLADE BURST (THU 0800) 39 n/a
4 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 0950) 36 n/a
5 WINSTON STEINBURGER AND SIR DUDLEY DING (THU 1145) 36 n/a
6 WINSTON STEINBURGER AND SIR DUDLEY DING (THU 1131) 36 n/a
7 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 1000) 36 n/a
8 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 1120) 36 n/a
9 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 1109) 36 n/a
10 WINSTON STEINBURGER AND SIR DUDLEY DING (THU 1200) 36 n/a
10 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 1031) 36 n/a
10 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 0940) 36 n/a
10 LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS (THU 0900) 36 n/a
10 WINSTON STEINBURGER AND SIR DUDLEY DING (THU 1315) 36 n/a
10 THE 3 AMIGONAUTS (THU 0830) 36 n/a
10 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 1020) 36 n/a
10 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 1009) 36 n/a
POP Max Total
w/e 24 Dec 2017
1 BEYBLADE BURST (SAT 1130) 52 n/a
2 THE 3 AMIGONAUTS (THU 0745) 51 n/a
3 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 1020) 50 n/a
4 LEGO LEGENDS OF CHIMA (SUN 0900) 48 n/a
5 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 0831) 46 n/a
6 WINSTON STEINBURGER AND SIR DUDLEY DING (TUE 1100) 46 n/a
7 OH NO! IT'S AN ALIEN INVASION (MON 1845) 46 n/a
8 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 0900) 45 n/a
9 BEYBLADE BURST (THU 1730) 44 n/a
10 RABBIDS INVASION (THU 0939) 41 n/a

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:37 am

It looks like Pop Max runs more Canadian content than most Canadian channels do.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:58 pm

Yeah. And there's a fucking law in Canada that forces them to air a minimum of Canadian Content LOL.

I think Super will come to the UK as soon as there are enough episodes to air 5 days a week!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:32 am

Reminder: Dragon Ball Super Part 2 is out today. Already #1 best selling on Amazon.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Reminder: Dragon Ball Super Part 2 is out today. Already #1 best selling on Amazon.
Great to see it's still doing well here. I managed to get mine early and have already watched it all. Hopefully they confirm the date of the next set soon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:39 am

90sDBZ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Reminder: Dragon Ball Super Part 2 is out today. Already #1 best selling on Amazon.
Great to see it's still doing well here. I managed to get mine early and have already watched it all. Hopefully they confirm the date of the next set soon.
I predict around April/May. Since they seem to want to get all the Z movies out the way.

Anyway what did you think of the retelling?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:55 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
I predict around April/May. Since they seem to want to get all the Z movies out the way.

Anyway what did you think of the retelling?
Honestly I enjoyed both of the retellings and was surprised by how good they were after reading so much criticism. Okay the animation was off in places, but then that was also the case in many episodes of Z. I especially enjoyed the episode were Goku and Vegeta trained with Whis which had some really funny moments. I also appreciated how the Resurrection F retelling made Frieza seem even more evil and sadistic than the movie did, like when he had his men target Krillin. Speaking of Krillin I liked the moment where Roshi encouraged him when he got nervous.

Apart from that I also really liked the scene where Gohan powers up after Piccolo's death. He isn't the one who wins the battle but he still saved the day by allowing Goku to lock on to his ki and teleport there. If Super only gets better going forward then I'm excited for it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 pm

MangaUK will release Bardock/Trunks special on 16th April, no DBS Part 3 scheduled yet but they said they have more announcements and will reveal when they're ready.

90sDBZ wrote: Honestly I enjoyed both of the retellings and was surprised by how good they were after reading so much criticism. Okay the animation was off in places, but then that was also the case in many episodes of Z. I especially enjoyed the episode were Goku and Vegeta trained with Whis which had some really funny moments. I also appreciated how the Resurrection F retelling made Frieza seem even more evil and sadistic than the movie did, like when he had his men target Krillin. Speaking of Krillin I liked the moment where Roshi encouraged him when he got nervous.

Apart from that I also really liked the scene where Gohan powers up after Piccolo's death. He isn't the one who wins the battle but he still saved the day by allowing Goku to lock on to his ki and teleport there. If Super only gets better going forward then I'm excited for it.
I didn't mind the BoG retellings, I think it fixed a lot of films problems but also unfortunately added new problems. But I loved the pre RF arc building up episodes those are still some of the best episodes they just hit all the right notes!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 am

Manga UK just announced Super Part 3 for release on June 4th. Finally we get past the retellings and into the new content. Hopefully part 4 won't be too far behind.

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/976047483024498688

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:12 am

Do the majority of citizens in UK even pay the premium price to watch TV rather than the freeview channels they have available? I'v stopped watching live TV for some years now and went with VOD-type instead.
MangaUK will release Bardock/Trunks special on 16th April, no DBS Part 3 scheduled yet but they said they have more announcements and will reveal when they're ready.
The cover of Bardock/Trunks TV-Special Blu-ray looks great but it's just the FUNimation Double Feature.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:57 am

God I would love to see Dragon Ball Super on POP. That would be epic.

That wont happen though.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:05 am

SuperCyan2 wrote: The cover of Bardock/Trunks TV-Special Blu-ray looks great but it's just the FUNimation Double Feature.
I think it looks pretty bad to be honest. Lifeless and hollow like the majority of modern DB promo art. Toei keep hiring this shitty promo artist for some reason, just compare:

New promo artist:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Old Z Yamamuro movie poster:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:17 am

90sDBZ wrote:Manga UK just announced Super Part 3 for release on June 4th. Finally we get past the retellings and into the new content. Hopefully part 4 won't be too far behind.

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/976047483024498688
I got part 3 via FUNi since I didn't know how long Manga would take but now they're confirmed to get out the retellings, I will definitely wait on Manga here on out.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:20 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:MangaUK will release Bardock/Trunks special on 16th April, no DBS Part 3 scheduled yet but they said they have more announcements and will reveal when they're ready.
Jerome said something similar when I asked on Facebook recently if there were any updates on his meetings with Funi regarding a UK version of Rock the Dragon.

I'm glad they've got through the DBZ movies and specials now as it indicates these releases are selling well alongside the Super sets, so hopefully they will be encouraged to release Rock the Dragon to keep the money train going, or the DB movies and GT special on Blu-Ray since other licensors have already started to do that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:MangaUK will release Bardock/Trunks special on 16th April, no DBS Part 3 scheduled yet but they said they have more announcements and will reveal when they're ready.
Jerome said something similar when I asked on Facebook recently if there were any updates on his meetings with Funi regarding a UK version of Rock the Dragon.

I'm glad they've got through the DBZ movies and specials now as it indicates these releases are selling well alongside the Super sets, so hopefully they will be encouraged to release Rock the Dragon to keep the money train going, or the DB movies and GT special on Blu-Ray since other licensors have already started to do that.
Hopefully. Still regret not picking the FUNi set up. Seemed expensive at the time but now it's OOP and way expensive.

As for BDs. UK anime folks are not like the U.S it seems. Unlike America there's isn't good history of shows first being DVD only and being released many years later as BD doing well here. Kai is an example.