Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBSinUK=£££££

Re: Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:47 am

NitroEX wrote:If Disney XD wanted to air it in the UK I imagine they could although it would probably depend on Turner and if their Dragon Ball broadcast rights extend to the UK. They seem to currently hold those rights in many territories.

I assume it would, though the Dragon Ball wiki states that the Funimation dub could also broadcast here:

"While Funimation records an English dub for the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, Bang Zoom! produces the dub for English speaking Asian countries."

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Bang_Zoom!_dub

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:06 am

But the Funimation dub is made for Adult Swim which means it would NEVER air on the UK without either major rerecording of lines or Boing tier edits that make 4kids look sane.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:53 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:But the Funimation dub is made for Adult Swim which means it would NEVER air on the UK without either major rerecording of lines or Boing tier edits that make 4kids look sane.
They recorded an edited Super dub as a backup and its ready to go whenever a kids network (like a UK broadcaster) wants to air Funimation's Super.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:25 am

But was it the whole series or just a pilot?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:33 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:But was it the whole series or just a pilot?
Good question, now that they know they are airing on Toonami they may have dropped the whole recording edited dialogue, at least if I was Sabat I would have done that save time and if they need to record edited dialogue for some reason then cross that bridge if it happens.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:07 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:But was it the whole series or just a pilot?
I'd imagine they did the first few episodes (Don't license holders when pitching a show usually have a batch of episodes ready to go?). They may have put theit edited dub on hold knowing Toonami won't restrict them to using that version. If the edited version does well they will likely record more.

Depending on how edited the dub was there mightn't be a lot to do in terms of redubbing other than replacing words like "God", "Diety" and "Bastard".

They also wouldn't need to do much video editing for the first 3 arcs because the violence is minimal. I know certain UK broadcasters have written Super off as too violent but censoring it anymore would be ridiculous.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:59 pm

DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:
NitroEX wrote:If Disney XD wanted to air it in the UK I imagine they could although it would probably depend on Turner and if their Dragon Ball broadcast rights extend to the UK. They seem to currently hold those rights in many territories.
I assume it would, though the Dragon Ball wiki states that the Funimation dub could also broadcast here:

"While Funimation records an English dub for the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, Bang Zoom! produces the dub for English speaking Asian countries."

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Bang_Zoom!_dub
Anyone can freely edit Dragonball wiki so it's not the most trusted source for information.

As for the dubs, a user on this site once emailed Toonami Asia directly for more info on the Bang Zoom dub, because of this we now know that it's the property of Turner. He was also later told that any Dragon Ball dub could be broadcast in the UK.

I don't honestly think a Turner channel is going to be interested in Super at this point however, it's worth noting that historically, alternate English dubs have tended to be favoured on Turner owned UK channels (Ocean, Blue Water & Big Green). I have a hard time believing that Turner UK wouldn't take advantage of the Bang Zoom dub (if they became interested in Super), especially since their company already owns it, plus the fact that it's already edited. Logistically it would seem to be the easier and/or cheaper option rather than outsourcing from Funimation or Toei. Another possibility is that, based on CN UK's past success with Ocean, they might've even considered commissioning Ocean to dub it instead. A past user on this site even mentioned (allegedly) having a conversation with the head of programming at Turner and in that conversation they supposedly said that "they were not looking to get Kai but if they did, it would be the Ocean dub". The supposed reasoning for this was due to the Ocean dub's past success on their channel. Now that might be little more than hearsay at this point but it would make a lot of sense, all things considered. Anyway, I'm getting off track.

As I said before, Turner aren't likely to be interested in Super or any Dragon Ball series for that matter as they've distanced themselves from anime long ago. With them out of the picture, other channels like Kix (which are owned by CSC media) or Disney XD could maybe get the license instead, but even that's still doubtful. If one of those channels did pick it up then they'd probably just get the Funimation dub by default from Toei, especially since they have no history or connection to any other dubs, unlike CN UK, and Toei seems to favour Funimation.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:58 pm

I think Pop may be up for it. They will air Glitter Force in Italy and that's just DBZ for girls.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri May 12, 2017 6:19 pm

If anywhere is at all likely to air it, I see it being Disney XD.
They have a lot of Marvel and Star Wars stuff on there, and they like a toyline, and Super has one, and even a UK based distributor at the ready.
I emailed Toei EU (who are usually pretty good at getting back to me) a few weeks back after the Super event they held in France at a licensing event, about a UK deal, but they never replied.

Disney XD is being marketed as a boys action channel, so it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility, but I still don't see it happening.
The Disney channel do air Miraculous Ladybug here, which is a production between Toei EU and various other parties, so you never know.

Also, Turner does not hold the rights to Super here in the UK - that is from Turner themselves, as I asked ages ago.
Toei EU doesn't (as far as I know) have a UK broadcaster licensed.
Anyone can air the show, Turner owned or not.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat May 13, 2017 6:26 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think Pop may be up for it. They will air Glitter Force in Italy and that's just DBZ for girls.
I don't think that means much for the UK. Places like Italy and France have, to my knowledge, always had a stronger anime following than the UK does.

To give you an example, Lupin the Third Part 4 premiered first in Italy before even being seen in Japan, they're clearly not shy about showing anime.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu May 18, 2017 3:42 pm

It is Official. The UK is now the only territory in Europe not airing Super.
Congrats German fans!.

http://www.toei-animation.com/en/dragon ... xx-germany

UK will need to wait for home video now, unless Toei let Funi stream it here, but I can't see that.

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Thu May 18, 2017 3:52 pm

They're also attending NATPE Budapest, so hopefully Toei manages to find a UK station that's interested. Otherwise, Manga UK will probably just release it on DVD/Blu-Ray.

http://www.toei-animation.com/en/node/1812

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu May 18, 2017 3:59 pm

DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:They're also attending NATPE Budapest, so hopefully Toei manages to find a UK station that's interested. Otherwise, Manga UK will probably just release it on DVD/Blu-Ray.

http://www.toei-animation.com/en/node/1812
NATPE Budapest only covers Central and Eastern Europe, so UK isn't part of that as far as I'm aware.

Home video is likely to be the only option for now at least.

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Fri May 19, 2017 6:51 am

Well, crap.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 19, 2017 2:25 pm

I always figured that after Super did set the world on fire on Kix!, other children TV channels didn't want to take the gamble on another Dragon Ball show.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, I think you meant DIDNT because otherwise your sentence doesnt make a lot of sense...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, I think you meant DIDNT because otherwise your sentence doesnt make a lot of sense...
Yeah, I meant "didn't."

Misspelled because I made the message quickly on my iPhone while at work. :oops:

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Thu May 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Dragon Ball Super on Crunchyroll is now available to UK & Ireland viewers, and considering their partnership with Funimation, perhaps this means something? Or I'm being too optimistic.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu May 25, 2017 7:36 pm

DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:Dragon Ball Super on Crunchyroll is now available to UK & Ireland viewers, and considering their partnership with Funimation, perhaps this means something? Or I'm being too optimistic.
Sadly, Toei Europe hold the rights to Dragon Ball Super in the UK right now, and considering they won't even let us have a stream for the latest subbed One Piece episodes, I wouldn't at all think this is anything more than what it is.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 28, 2017 9:29 am

We are getting those Bandai Toys....

Anime is coming to channel Viceland on Sky....

Hmmmm....... Maybe just maybe.....?