Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue May 30, 2017 10:26 am

I really hope Super does air in the UK. It would be huge missed opportunity otherwise.
DBZ_Lee wrote:
DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:It's probably a bunch of red herrings and Manga UK are gonna announce that they're bringing over Final Chapters instead. XD
The last time they were asked about that, they said they don't have the license right now, and it is unlikely it would be out this year.
Well that really sucks about Kai TFC. I wonder why they don't seem interested. They seemed really enthusiastic about Kai 1.0 when they released that, and I've seen a lot of people express interest about the Buu saga on Manga UK's facebook page. It also bugs me that they don't seem interested in releasing the old movies either, although that could be a case of AB Groupe still holding the rights and sitting on them. Could it be that Kai 1.0 didn't sell enough here? Or maybe it's Toei's obsession with TV deals coming into play again.

For some reason it really gets on my nerves when Manga UK or any company release part of a series and then stop without doing all the seasons. Like how Manga UK released Digimon Season's 1 and 2, but don't seem to be releasing Season 3. I guess I'll end up having to import Kai TFC after all.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue May 30, 2017 5:37 pm

The new Beyblade TV anime, titled "Burst" doesn't currently have a network, but the toys are available here.

Is that show violent or anything? not sure why that isn't airing.
But it doesn't bode well if it appears as though other shows with toylines are going on sale without the show itself *sigh*.

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Tue May 30, 2017 5:43 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:The new Beyblade TV anime, titled "Burst" doesn't currently have a network, but the toys are available here.

But it doesn't bode well if it appears as though other shows with toylines are going on sale without the show itself *sigh*.
It might be that Beyblade sell quite well already, though not airing the TV show does sound quite odd. It airs on Disney XD in America too, so there's a dub waiting if they ever wish to air it.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue May 30, 2017 5:58 pm

DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:The new Beyblade TV anime, titled "Burst" doesn't currently have a network, but the toys are available here.

It might be that Beyblade sell quite well already, though not airing the TV show does sound quite odd. It airs on Disney XD in America too, so there's a dub waiting if they ever wish to air it.
Well, I'd say it's likely Toei are just pushing the toys out to see what they can sell.
Strange decision, though they'll likely end up reduced and sold off in a sale if there's no TV deal to advertise them.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:31 am

DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toy ... /161140001

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toy ... /161140002

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toy ... /161140003

The 'Dragon Stars' figures are out. They're expected to be in stores between 13-20th of June.
Yeah.... £21.99 is a joke. These aren't worth that at all. I was thinking more around £12.99 even then that was £2.99 too much. We don't get the show but we get expensive figures of it... Fantastic.

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:28 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah.... £21.99 is a joke. These aren't worth that at all. I was thinking more around £12.99 even then that was £2.99 too much. We don't get the show but we get expensive figures of it... Fantastic.
I completely agree, I highly doubt any parent would allow their child to buy a singular figure for that price. I hope that the price is toned down when they arrive on shelves.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:20 am

Viceland are not showing Super, sadly:

http://blog.alltheanime.com/viceland-uk ... anime-ltd/

At least it is something.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:06 pm

So let me see if I've got this straight... Super is all but not going to air in the UK and yet they are still distributing toys with the title of the show that never aired in UK in toys stores around the country? And they're charging up to 24 quid for them? And the quality of the toys looks like crap too?

FUCK. OFF.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm so fucking tempted to sig that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:28 pm

I apologize if my initial response to this development seemed so brazen, but I can't wrap my head around this.

Why would they pimp out toys in stores around the United Kingdom for a show that has had zero exposure on TV? It just comes across as a cynical cash grab, like, "Hey, have you vaguely heard of Dragon Ball? Well... buy these Dragon Ball Super toys! They are basically the same thing!" Ugh. Regardless of what people may think about Dragon Ball, or about Super, or about how large the fandom may be in the United Kingdom, at least have the fucking courtesy to air some episodes of the damn show for the toys that are advertised with the fucking title and logo of the show in them. And on top of this, they have the damn nerve to charge up to £24 for these poorly produced toys? Get the bloody hell out of my face with that bollocks. Fans of Dragon Ball in the UK, and especially those of Super, deserve better than this nonsense. I'm so fucking pissed off by this bullshit.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I apologize if my initial response to this development seemed so brazen, but I can't wrap my head around this.

Why would they pimp out toys in stores around the United Kingdom for a show that has had zero exposure on TV? It just comes across as a cynical cash grab, like, "Hey, have you vaguely heard of Dragon Ball? Well... buy these Dragon Ball Super toys! They are basically the same thing!" Ugh. Regardless of what people may think about Dragon Ball, or about Super, or about how large the fandom may be in the United Kingdom, at least have the fucking courtesy to air some episodes of the damn show for the toys that are advertised with the fucking title and logo of the show in them. And on top of this, they have the damn nerve to charge up to £24 for these poorly produced toys? Get the bloody hell out of my face with that bollocks. Fans of Dragon Ball in the UK, and especially those of Super, deserve better than this nonsense. I'm so fucking pissed off by this bullshit.
I totally and completely agree with you. I'm 37, and in my 30+ years of watching television, have never, ever, known a toyline based on a show be released here in the UK that the show in question isn't currently available in English language in this country.

Toei commissioned Bandai to produce these toys using the Super branding, and the fact it has now become blatantly obvious we have no chance of being able to watch the show dubbed, in our own language on TV because of reasons we all know already, it is absolutely ridiculous that Toei/Bandai think it is ok to distribute this line here, and charge an extortionate amount for it.

It is shameful, as we all know these toys would never have been produced in the first place if it wasn't for Super, so, like your post mentioned above, they are saying - "hey, you've heard of DBZ, right? buy these toys for a new show which you can only watch subbed on crunchyroll", Belgium, who also have no way of watching the show in French or German (unless they get that dub when it starts) have also got these toys.

They clearly have no shame.... UK fans deserve better, Toei EU won't give us Subbed One Piece, so we have zero chance of getting this streamed on funinow, either.

A pathetic attempt at a cashgrab - I hope the sales are poor, as that will serve them right for being greedy.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:11 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I apologize if my initial response to this development seemed so brazen, but I can't wrap my head around this.

I totally and completely agree with you. I'm 37, and in my 30+ years of watching television, have never, ever, known a toyline based on a show be released here in the UK that the show in question isn't currently available in English language in this country.

Toei commissioned Bandai to produce these toys using the Super branding, and the fact it has now become blatantly obvious we have no chance of being able to watch the show dubbed, in our own language on TV because of reasons we all know already, it is absolutely ridiculous that Toei/Bandai think it is ok to distribute this line here, and charge an extortionate amount for it.

It is shameful, as we all know these toys would never have been produced in the first place if it wasn't for Super, so, like your post mentioned above, they are saying - "hey, you've heard of DBZ, right? buy these toys for a new show which you can only watch subbed on crunchyroll", Belgium, who also have no way of watching the show in French or German (unless they get that dub when it starts) have also got these toys.

They clearly have no shame.... UK fans deserve better, Toei EU won't give us Subbed One Piece, so we have zero chance of getting this streamed on funinow, either.

A pathetic attempt at a cashgrab - I hope the sales are poor, as that will serve them right for being greedy.
I hate having to say this, especially because I love Dragon Ball and I really like Super... but I want these toys to fail so badly in the UK. I mean, seriously, FUCK them baiting us like this. You really thought that with the toy line being released the Dragon Ball Super would get air to on TV to, you know, promote these toys. The toys that have the title of the show on them. It's so fucking stupid. Which kinds of kids do they expect will buy this shit?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:

I hate having to say this, especially because I love Dragon Ball and I really like Super... but I want these toys to fail so badly in the UK. I mean, seriously, FUCK them baiting us like this. You really thought that with the toy line being released the Dragon Ball Super would get air to on TV to, you know, promote these toys. The toys that have the title of the show on them. It's so fucking stupid. Which kinds of kids do they expect will buy this shit?
Especially for those prices.... I hope they bomb too. They are baiting us big time here, and it isn't on.
If they had DBZ on the packaging, then at least that show aired here, albeit a long while back, but it did.

A total joke, these toys deserve to fail. Toei EU doesn't care about the UK, it is more focused on Mainland Europe.
They need to face the fact that unless Toonami comes here, they either need to let Netflix/Funi stream it.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:51 am

This does seem a pretty pointless and bizarre thing for them to do. I suppose one way of looking at it is that all of the early Super characters did appear in BoG and RF, which both air on Sky Movies from time to time. And there was the box office success of Ressurection F too.

But still like others have said the toys shouldn't have the Super name on them. Pretty damn neglectful of them to be fair. And we still haven't gotten a home release announced yet for Super either. I'm hoping that if Toei are willing to put out toys without a TV deal then they'll also be willing to let us have a home release from Manga UK.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 am

90sDBZ wrote:This does seem a pretty pointless and bizarre thing for them to do. I suppose one way of looking at it is that all of the early Super characters did appear in BoG and RF, which both air on Sky Movies from time to time. And there was the box office success of Ressurection F too.

But still like others have said the toys shouldn't have the Super name on them. Pretty damn neglectful of them to be fair. And we still haven't gotten a home release announced yet for Super either. I'm hoping that if Toei are willing to put out toys without a TV deal then they'll also be willing to let us have a home release from Manga UK.
To be fair I don't think Toei are involved with this toy thing. I think it's all Bandai's doing, Bandai UK are distributing Super toys in Europe (countries that have Super, whaaa that's crazy!!!) so some brightspark there probably thought it was a good idea to bring it over the UK proper.

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:28 am

Perhaps if the toys sell well, they'll air it. But I don't believe anyone will be buying the toys for that price.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm really sad to see Super not air in the UK. Maybe if there was a more edited version of either the Funi dub or the Bang Zoom dub. That's probably the biggest obstacle.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:08 am

Funi did say they had recorded an edited dub, but there aren't too many details aside from calling Mr. Satan "Hercule" again.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:42 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm really sad to see Super not air in the UK. Maybe if there was a more edited version of either the Funi dub or the Bang Zoom dub. That's probably the biggest obstacle.
If they censor all the fighting then the show will air but of course the fighting is the show! Dialogue is less the issue I feel it's more the show is "violent" cannot have precious children exposed to that oh no. If WB's new JL animated show is being treated like shit by CN (7.30am on a Saturday) DB has no chance, luckily WB and DC are releasing a VoD subscription service soon, but of course we have that in FUNiNow! But Toei EU won't allow it (and OP) to stream for some stupid reason. Eurghhhhh this whole situation is so annoying and sad :(