Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBSinUK=£££££

Re: Factors that make UK Broadcasters pass on Dragon Ball Super.

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:40 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If they censor all the fighting then the show will air but of course the fighting is the show! Dialogue is less the issue I feel it's more the show is "violent" cannot have precious children exposed to that oh no.
I think it really depends on the TV Station that is interested. Most networks (mainly CN, Nicktoons) don't show violence while other networks (Disney XD for ex.) have no problem with it.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:00 am

DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:Perhaps if the toys sell well, they'll air it.
I imagine this could be their strategy. Put out a small number of them on the market in the hopes that they sell well on the strength of the "Dragon Ball" brand alone and then use that quantifiable number as leverage when pitching to TV channels in the UK. I personally don't think it would be a very smart plan though, I mean are there really that many kids still interested in Dragon Ball who would go out of their way to buy toys of it? I can't imagine Kai created too many new fans here, Kix was a very small channel after all. Maybe they're relying on the older anime fan to buy these instead but surely S.H. Figuarts would appeal better to an older collector over these poorer quality toys.

I suppose there could be a slim chance that Turner plans to ressurect Toonami in the UK, with these toys being the precursor to that. It is a bit of wishful thinking on my part but I have noticed some patterns lately that give me hope. We obviously know that Turner have been slowly rolling out Toonami across Asia, the US, and now France and Africa as well. What's nteresting is that Pierre Branco, who was the general manager for France, Portugal, Africa and Israel, and who likely played a role in helping both those countries get Toonami, has now been promoted to Senoir VP in the UK and Northern Europe. This could mean we stand a better chance of seeing Toonami in the UK again but of course, it's not guaranteed.

Something else I noticed was that MangaUK were not mentioned anywhere in the recent anime announcement made by Viceland UK, usually I would expect them to be crawling all over an opportunity like this in order to gain exposure for their mature anime titles but this doesn't seem to be the case, it seems fishy to me. Perhaps they've partnered with someone else?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:25 am

NitroEX wrote:
DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:Perhaps if the toys sell well, they'll air it.
I imagine this could be their strategy. Put out a small number of them on the market in the hopes that they sell well on the strength of the "Dragon Ball" brand alone and then use that quantifiable number as leverage when pitching to TV channels in the UK. I personally don't think it would be a very smart plan though, I mean are there really that many kids still interested in Dragon Ball who would go out of their way to buy toys of it? I can't imagine Kai created too many new fans here, Kix was a very small channel after all. Maybe they're relying on the older anime fan to buy these instead but surely S.H. Figuarts would appeal better to an older collector over these poorer quality toys.

I suppose there could be a slim chance that Turner plans to ressurect Toonami in the UK, with these toys being the precursor to that. It is a bit of wishful thinking on my part but I have noticed some patterns lately that give me hope. We obviously know that Turner have been slowly rolling out Toonami across Asia, the US, and now France and Africa as well. What's nteresting is that Pierre Branco, who was the general manager for France, Portugal, Africa and Israel, and who likely played a role in helping both those countries get Toonami, has now been promoted to Senoir VP in the UK and Northern Europe. This could mean we stand a better chance of seeing Toonami in the UK again but of course, it's not guaranteed.

Something else I noticed was that MangaUK were not mentioned anywhere in the recent anime announcement made by Viceland UK, usually I would expect them to be crawling all over an opportunity like this in order to gain exposure for their mature anime titles but this doesn't seem to be the case, it seems fishy to me. Perhaps they've partnered with someone else?
Interesting. Thanks for sharing this info here. If Toonami did come, that'd be a start, but it wouldn't matter what time of day it was on, it would be heavily edited like the French version.
Though the French version is also shown on a later timeslot uncut, but the UK kids TV laws wouldn't allow for that.
Unless they market Toonami for an older demographic for UK? only way around it.

It would also be Bang Zoom dub most likely, but I don't see that dub lasting the course to be honest.
It'll be interesting to see if Toonami does come back here though.

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:45 am

NitroEX wrote:Something else I noticed was that MangaUK were not mentioned anywhere in the recent anime announcement made by Viceland UK, usually I would expect them to be crawling all over an opportunity like this in order to gain exposure for their mature anime titles but this doesn't seem to be the case, it seems fishy to me. Perhaps they've partnered with someone else?

Viceland UK have partnered with Anime Limited, which are another company who distribute Anime in the UK.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:07 am

DBSinUK=£££££ wrote: Viceland UK have partnered with Anime Limited, which are another company who distribute Anime in the UK.
I know that, but MVM Entertainment (another UK anime distributor) is also mentioned in the same announcement, both Anime Limited and MVM have seemingly partnered with the channel to promote their anime content. Manga Entertainment is nowhere to be seen in the announcement and those three companies are pretty much the only major ones we have here in the UK.

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:24 am

NitroEX wrote:I know that, but MVM Entertainment (another UK anime distributor) is also mentioned in the same announcement, both Anime Limited and MVM have seemingly partnered with the channel to promote their anime content. Manga Entertainment is nowhere to be seen in the announcement and those three companies are pretty much the only major ones we have here in the UK.

Huh, Manga UK have been partnering with Syfy recently about Anime Films on TV, so that is odd.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:07 pm

Toonami could be coming to the UK? Interesting! I hope and pray that it does!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:13 pm

Legit question....

Since its already being done in English does it really matter if it hits the UK? If something was dubbed in Europe I wouldnt really care if it came to the US really.

I'm interested in what makes people care about the difference.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:17 pm

It matters to UK fans obviously. If not people wouldnt request it like crazy and this thread would have dried up.

Also, I dont think the Super DVD's came to the UK yet.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It matters to UK fans obviously. If not people wouldnt request it like crazy and this thread would have dried up.

Also, I dont think the Super DVD's came to the UK yet.
I see it matters obviously or I wouldnt ask why it does. My question is what drives that caring. For example you could tell me there is no way to watch the American Dub which would make sense. Or that the UK does stellar voice acting.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:39 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:I see it matters obviously or I wouldnt ask why it does. My question is what drives that caring. For example you could tell me there is no way to watch the American Dub which would make sense. Or that the UK does stellar voice acting.
Well, the only way, at the moment, to watch the Funi or Bang Zoom! Dubs would be to use sites like Kissanime and such. We in the UK & Ireland wish to watch the dub in any official or legit form, but there currently there's no way to so such.

DBSinUK=£££££

Post by DBSinUK=£££££ » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:34 am

Sky Movies are airing Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' once again: http://www.tvguide.co.uk/search.asp?tit ... ubmit.y=15

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:50 am

DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:Sky Movies are airing Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' once again: http://www.tvguide.co.uk/search.asp?tit ... ubmit.y=15
They've aired them both loads of times by now, so it's a sure sign that the ratings are good.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:53 am

DBSinUK=£££££ wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:I see it matters obviously or I wouldnt ask why it does. My question is what drives that caring. For example you could tell me there is no way to watch the American Dub which would make sense. Or that the UK does stellar voice acting.
Well, the only way, at the moment, to watch the Funi or Bang Zoom! Dubs would be to use sites like Kissanime and such. We in the UK & Ireland wish to watch the dub in any official or legit form, but there currently there's no way to so such.
For the FUNi dub there are ways, FUNi are releasing the parts starting this month so if you one has a region free BD/DVD player that could be an option to import, or I hear Madaman from Aus are releasing Part 1 in September I think and that could be another option as Aus have the same BD region as us, but their DVD region is different.

Sadly, MangaUK recently unveiled their Q4 schedule and no DBS or Buu Kai, though for Kai Jerome said it Kai 1.0 didn't sell well so we probably won't see Buu Kai. It seems Toei (eur) are still headstrong about this TV thing then.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Sadly, MangaUK recently unveiled their Q4 schedule and no DBS or Buu Kai, though for Kai Jerome said it Kai 1.0 didn't sell well so we probably won't see Buu Kai. It seems Toei (eur) are still headstrong about this TV thing then.
Where did Jerome say that Kai 1.0 didn't sell well? That's a real shame as I was hoping to complete my UK release of Kai. Guess I'll be importing that after all then. :(

As for Super I think Toei are making a mistake by holding out for a TV deal, because it's quite frankly very unlikely to happen. It baffles me how they're willing to release overpriced toys that nobody will buy, but refuse to allow a home release of the show that would sell really well.

I also remember Jerome saying that the only reason Manga UK were allowed to release Z was due to Kai airing on Kix. While Kai did pretty well on Kix I'm pretty sure it doesn't compare to the success of the Orange Bricks over here, and certainly doesn't compare to the success of the BoG and RF home releases. Toei really are missing the bigger picture here in their constant search for a TV deal. I don't see why they couldn't just give us a home release of Super and then continue searching for a TV deal. In the mean time Manga UK are going to lose sales through imports, pretty much Z all over again.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:32 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Sadly, MangaUK recently unveiled their Q4 schedule and no DBS or Buu Kai, though for Kai Jerome said it Kai 1.0 didn't sell well so we probably won't see Buu Kai. It seems Toei (eur) are still headstrong about this TV thing then.
Where did Jerome say that Kai 1.0 didn't sell well? That's a real shame as I was hoping to complete my UK release of Kai. Guess I'll be importing that after all then. :(

As for Super I think Toei are making a mistake by holding out for a TV deal, because it's quite frankly very unlikely to happen. It baffles me how they're willing to release overpriced toys that nobody will buy, but refuse to allow a home release of the show that would sell really well.

I also remember Jerome saying that the only reason Manga UK were allowed to release Z was due to Kai airing on Kix. While Kai did pretty well on Kix I'm pretty sure it doesn't compare to the success of the Orange Bricks over here, and certainly doesn't compare to the success of the BoG and RF home releases. Toei really are missing the bigger picture here in their constant search for a TV deal. I don't see why they couldn't just give us a home release of Super and then continue searching for a TV deal. In the mean time Manga UK are going to lose sales through imports, pretty much Z all over again.
From this twitter thread here:
https://twitter.com/Hazzahmatron/status ... 5559999488

Says they didn't do well but then further said the BDs did well but not the DVDs but they have bigger fish to fry then worry about Buu Kai, presumably Super, so doesn't look like Buu Kai is happening.

Toei are really a head scratcher of a company even more so their European branch, with the movies especially Resurrection "F" for the all world it looked like they finally are with the times we got the movie in the same year as Japan (granted Manga's release was delayed but still got to see it on cinema's). Then Super happened and we didn't get a simulcast for over a year, for over a year we had to rely on shitty fan subs and quality, Toei handing C&Ds out. Then the slow international roll out. I mean like hello Toei this isn't the 1990's anymore.
I agree allow a BD release while still searching, FUNi's Kai sets have been out yet ratings on Toonami have been good, I think it's silly of them to be under the illusion that they must have a TV deal first. So dumb. Like it's obvious FUNi needed Buu Kai to air a few eps at least before releasing on BD.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:14 pm

Aw man. It really sucks that Kai 1.0 was pretty much a dud in the UK. But it just makes the release of Super branded toys all the more jarring. My guess is Bandai and Toei wan to see if the "Dragon Ball" brand by itself can carry toy sales to something decent in the UK. But considering how poorly Kai 1.0 did in the UK, even with the advertisement and lengthy time it had on TV, I don't see how the Super toys will do anything but poorly commercially with no TV show or an sort of advertisement to back it up.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:41 pm

I have my answer GodKaioken,(I think they were the ones that asked) Toei wont release Super until they get a TV Deal and the toys will sell badly without a TV Show to advertise it. That's the reason we want the UK to air DBS.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Forgive me if what I'm about to say might be crass, but let's say that if a DVD/BD release were to definitely hit the UK: why do you want Super to be televised here so badly? I'll admit, when Kai aired on Kix, it was pretty cool seeing Dragon Ball on broadcast television after so many years away, but it just felt like a cool novelty. What benefit is there of having a (almost certainly censored) broadcast of Super that only airs at certain times/days, will likely recycle the first couple of arcs over and over (just like 1996 US DBZ and 2013 UK Kai before it), and may not even last? I know I'm being quite the pessimist here, but unless you're a child whom A: somehow has no access to streaming sites, and/or B: wants to watch the dub, you don't really need Super on TV. I just don't see it as being something worth thinking about or holding your breath over, considering how stiff the parties involved are. That being said, if Super does make it to UK TV, of course, I'll watch it. I'm just glad we have ANY legal means of watching the show in the UK (unlike quite a few other anime).

Yes, I do find it slightly frustrating that we're seemingly the only country in Europe that isn't getting it at this point in time.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Dude(ette) I just told you! With no TV Deal there wont be any DVD's because Toei is really dumb and wants a TV Deal before any DVD deals and the toys wont sell without a show on the Air to promote them!